hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 141 of 149 FirstFirst ... 4191131138139140141142143144 ... LastLast
Results 2,801 to 2,820 of 2980

Thread: Star trek!

Quote Originally Posted by Paradox View Post
    Q would just make himself look like an old man to mock Picard. it would work
    Yeah, Q can look like whatever he wants, whenever he wants; perks of being effectively omnipotent.

Quote Originally Posted by Hel OWeen View Post
    There were again those weird (more like "WTF?!?) moments in episode 3. The most annoying:

Spoiler:
    that attack of the Romulan Space Ninjas at Picards's chateau. That alone was weird. But the resolution of the scene - the scientist saving Picard? How they portraited her up until then, this character never used a weapon before in her life. And is then able to handle an alien blaster perfectly fine? Not sure why they fuck up feel the need to write it that way. It would have been perfectly fine with Picard and the two Romulans handling the situation and then having her show up a bit later, for the reasons she stated.
      Spoiler:
    It seems obvious that it was a setup for her to be a spy for notsection31, maybe a little too obvious

Quote Originally Posted by Alistair View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruri View Post
    I dunno, it just gets tiring after a while. I'm tired.
    Maybe it's just not for you then?

We've been quite enjoying it so far. If I wasn't, I probably wouldn't be watching it.

Like Discovery.
    For a while I thought it was modern filmmaking that was the problem, but every era has it's share of shlock and dumbness. I think it's really just the lack of understanding or respect for the fundamental premises of a scifi franchise that I grew up immersed in that gets me down, even more because they occasionally get it right and it feels like a glimpse into something that could have been great.

Quote Originally Posted by Djan Seriy Anaplian View Post
    I think itís quite good, as someone alluded to above, Stewart is adding depth to Picard which is nice to see.
    "Adding depth" doesn't really mean much in the context of a show that ran for 7 seasons and was famous for the depth and development of it's main characters, most especially Picard.
    This is worse than I thought, there's no butter in my coffee!

Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot
    Do you even lift? Do you even post.

Quote Originally Posted by Alistair View Post
    I dunno, it just gets tiring after a while. I'm tired.
    Maybe it's just not for you then?

We've been quite enjoying it so far. If I wasn't, I probably wouldn't be watching it.

Like Discovery.
    For a while I thought it was modern filmmaking that was the problem, but every era has it's share of shlock and dumbness. I think it's really just the lack of understanding or respect for the fundamental premises of a scifi franchise that I grew up immersed in that gets me down, even more because they occasionally get it right and it feels like a glimpse into something that could have been great.

Quote Originally Posted by Djan Seriy Anaplian View Post
    I think it’s quite good, as someone alluded to above, Stewart is adding depth to Picard which is nice to see.
    "Adding depth" doesn't really mean much in the context of a show that ran for 7 seasons and was famous for the depth and development of it's main characters, most especially Picard.
    You think Picard had depth in TNG? Hmmm...

I am loving it. Picard is really good at playing a old man or he is just being him as a old man.
    Schopenhauer:

All truth passes through three stages.
    First, it is ridiculed.
    Second, it is violently opposed.
    Third, it is accepted as being self-evident..

Quote Originally Posted by Sacul View Post
    I am loving it. Picard is really good at playing a old man or he is just being him as a old man.
    Him as prof x in Logan is pretty much the pinnacle of old man acting

Quote Originally Posted by depili View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sacul View Post
    Him as prof x in Logan is pretty much the pinnacle of old man acting
    Yeah. And with first trailer of Picard i said it had a strong Logan vibe for me.
    Schopenhauer:

All truth passes through three stages.
    First, it is ridiculed.
    Second, it is violently opposed.
    Third, it is accepted as being self-evident..

Episode 4: Gandalf visits the Bene Geserit in order to recruit Legolas, meanwhile on the Millenium Falcon Daria is walking around annoying Captain Jack Sparrow. They all get in a brief space fight with a pirate but are luckily rescued by Poe Dameron just before they crash into Druidia's air shield. Also Noel Gallagher gets teased by his evil sister for finally living out his Real Doll fantasy.

Haven't seen Ep 4 yet. But the most pressing question is, has the black lady stopped saying JL?

Or is she dead yet? Either outcome is acceptable.

Episode 4: Gandalf visits the Bene Geserit in order to recruit Legolas, meanwhile on the Millenium Falcon Daria is walking around annoying Captain Jack Sparrow. They all get in a brief space fight with a pirate but are luckily rescued by Poe Dameron just before they crash into Druidia's air shield. Also Noel Gallagher gets teased by his evil sister for finally living out his Real Doll fantasy.
    It is both amusing and depressing just how accurate all of that is.
    Quote Originally Posted by August View Post
    Haven't seen Ep 4 yet. But the most pressing question is, has the black lady stopped saying JL?

Or is she dead yet? Either outcome is acceptable.
    No on both counts.
    Tranquility (EVE) Influence Map
    Life is absurd, but with a little effort we can make it completely ridiculous

I don't like where this is going at all.

They're doing that lazy TV writer thing where they want to go from A to C but without the inconvenience of going via B. B being the part where anything anyone is doing makes any fucking sense.

Sorry, the Romulans are angry at Picard BECAUSE he helped? Did I miss something?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Phrixus Zephyr View Post
    The Romulans are angry at JL because he helped?
    ftfy

Quote Originally Posted by Phrixus Zephyr View Post
    I don't like where this is going at all.

They're doing that lazy TV writer thing where they want to go from A to C but without the inconvenience of going via B. B being the part where anything anyone is doing makes any fucking sense.

Sorry, the Romulans are angry at Picard BECAUSE he helped? Did I miss something?

He helped until he stopped helping by disappearing.

When Starfleet told him to stop, he resigned. He then went to his chateau, isolated himself and didn't return to the colony we saw this episode.

They mentioned all of that.

I think it's understandable that the Romulans are angry. Remember that they are distrustful in nature and won't believe any news. After all, why would they trust foreign news when they don't even trust their own front doors?

Tapapapatalk
    nevar forget

He couldn't help everyone so he stopped helping anyone and retired, leaving them in the lurch and feeling betrayed - and himself the focus of blame.
    He let the perfect become the enemy of the good.

The real problem is still the fundamental conceit that the Romulan Star Empire - always shown to be either equal or superior to Starfleet in technology, size and power - was reduced to a scattering of poor refugees because one of their suns underwent a completely natural and predictable stellar evolution. The lead show developers are just hyperventilating on their own goddamn farts. Look, refugee crisis! Space 9/11! Racism! See how relevant it is to you?!? SEE??

The real problem is still the fundamental conceit that the Romulan Star Empire - always shown to be either equal or superior to Starfleet in technology, size and power - was reduced to a scattering of poor refugees because one of their suns underwent a completely natural and predictable stellar evolution. The lead show developers are just hyperventilating on their own goddamn farts. Look, refugee crisis! Space 9/11! Racism! See how relevant it is to you?!? SEE??
    So?

It's as if Star Trek never did that before.

Exhibit A) The makeup of the bridge crew in TOS.
    Exhibit B) ST6
    nevar forget

Yep it's why I'm checked out from most SF shows. Terrible, shitty world-building where nothing makes sense (except for the Expanse)

Except not?

They've still got the technological wherewithal and resources to undertake the reclamation project, and Romulan government is shown to be highly centralised in universe - it's hardly beyond the realms of possibility that they would fragment without their capital planet.
    'I'm pro life. I'm a non-smoker. I'm a pro-life non-smoker. WOO, Let the party begin!'

My point of view:

The actual structure of the Romulan empire was never fully known to the federation, they knew where the borders were but they never know what went on inside them

Like how in TOS the klingon empire was a naked allegory for the Soviet Union, then they decided to make the klingons all corrupt oligarchs (like modern Russia) they needed a large power to be a foil to the federation in TNG

And so the Romulan empire is like some sort of Imperial Soviet Chinese sort of thing. Highly centralised, long history of centralised bureaucracy, secret police, few big cities presiding over a vast agrarian society.

Throw a bit of sinister imperial japanese in there and send it to SPAAAAAAACE and you have Romulans.

Like everything in science fiction it requires you to work with it to some extent. But star trek was ALWAYS about the allegorical moral tale.
    Last edited by Paradox; February 15 2020 at 06:21:00 PM.

Poland treats me like shit and I hate them as a result of it

Senator who gets his head cut off didn't say "you promised to help us and you didn't and I'm mad at the federation for it" what he actually said was "you specifically helped us and I'm mad that you helped us because Romulan strong, let's sword duel".

My issue isn't the premise, even though it is fucking stupid. It's that the dialogue is awful and it's doing that bad TVthing where conflict only exists because characters wont explain themselves or anything that's happening properly.