hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 96 of 106 FirstFirst ... 468693949596979899 ... LastLast
Results 1,901 to 1,920 of 2118

Thread: Star trek!

The worst thing about Enterprise was the last season; I remember it being a big jump up in quality, as if the show runner/writers had finally got their shit together. Then it ended.

Quote Originally Posted by NoirAvlaa View Post
    I enjoyed it all.

Quote Originally Posted by Pattern View Post
    I raise with:

"I think we could all do with sitting back a bit and detaching ourselves from the situation to really think about how these issues reflect on our future and how we discuss them here and be a bit less aggressive or defensive because everyone has a complicated set of circumstances that has led the to place importance on particular issues and it doesn't meany any of them is less valid, we just need to look at the broader picture"

Smuggo - Brexit Thread

Star Trek is trashy camp sci-fi.

Appreciate it for what it is, you aren't going to get laid for being the purest fan.

Fuckin' nerds.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Mason
    It is absurd that we are capable of witnessing a 40,000 year old system of gender oppression begin to dissolve before our eyes yet still see the abolition of a 200 year old economic system as an unrealistic utopia.

Mate, it’s not about being ‘the purest fan’ it’s about whether the show fits in the timeline. With some minor tweaks STD could have been set 15 years or so after Nemesis and would fit fucking beautifully, id watch it and probably enjoy it. Sure it would annoy some book readers but it would be good for the franchise.

Sure, Trek can be trashy and campy but that’s part of the appeal. Interspersed deep moral, thoughtful episodes with more lighthearted ones..

I agree on the not getting laid thing, its been 9 years for me now.
    "I think we could all do with sitting back a bit and detaching ourselves from the situation to really think about how these issues reflect on our future and how we discuss them here and be a bit less aggressive or defensive because everyone has a complicated set of circumstances that has led the to place importance on particular issues and it doesn't meany any of them is less valid, we just need to look at the broader picture"

Smuggo - Brexit Thread

So your problem isn't that it is bad, it is that it doesn't fit the timeline?
    It is absurd that we are capable of witnessing a 40,000 year old system of gender oppression begin to dissolve before our eyes yet still see the abolition of a 200 year old economic system as an unrealistic utopia.

King of the Babe Thread Donor Jolin's Avatar
    I love star trek and I haven't been laid in 35 years. I think we're onto something here

Movember '11 Ginger Excellence Movember 2011Movember 2012 sarabando's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    pretty much yeah

Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    Yeah actually, see my post on the other page. Most of my lore issues are that this is set before TOS... most of those issues would be gone if it was set Post-Nemesis. This show is trying to fit pre-TOS which is realllly really awkward.

The CGI point stands, the CGI is literally worse than DS9 was at its peak at the end and the pewpew lasers is annoying, but I could overlook it if it was at a better point in the timeline.

Smuggo - Brexit Thread

I suggest you go back and watch DS9 because its CGI was arse

And how can you give a fuck about a timeline in trek of all universes? it's got more contradictions than it does plot.

Quote Originally Posted by elmicker View Post

And how can you give a fuck about a timeline in trek of all universes? it's got more contradictions than it does plot.
    +1

Pretty much where I was going with my line of questioning.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to elmicker again.

I'll admit the exact pinpointing of the Eugenics wars and World War III are a source of debate but generally the prime timeline is pretty linear. Yes, Voyager had enough points where it invented a new type of sensors/shields/technobable/transporter/plot armor.

I am talking timeline of the universe not individual episodes where they did funky shit with time and/or mirror universe (there were quite a few). As far as I can recall nothing they did with temporal episodes had a lasting and irrevocable change to the series.

Unless ive forgotten something fairly major that is.

Smuggo - Brexit Thread

So where are my dolphin crew members then?

Answer me that!

What dolphins?

Edit: Unless you mean the spawn of Paris and Janeway?

Smuggo - Brexit Thread

No, I mean dolphins. Paris and Janeways slug babies were clearly not dolphins.

Or how about DS9 having money while TNG declared the federation a post-scarcity utopia? Answer me that!

Well just because we didn't SEE the dolphin labs doesn't mean they didn't exist! .

I think the original idea for Trek was no money but there were a few references to 'federation' credit
    Almost a century later, the Federation would have paid 1.5 million Federation credits as a lump sum and then 100,000 credits every Barzanian year for the rights to the Barzan wormhole. (TNG: "The Price")
    DS9 dealt with loads of species that used currency. I will go hunting for a direct quote regarding federation credit.

Smuggo - Brexit Thread

Uhm, I'd like to know how the CGI is worse? Because you don't like the sound effects of the weapons?

Tapapapatalk
    nevar forget

I wasn't asking you to perform mental gymnastics to try and resolve the innumerable conflicts and contradictions in Trek's stories. I was trying to get you to acknowledge that plotline purity is perhaps the stupidest thing to try and talk about.

I'm not a great Star Trek fan, but I'll try to explain the timeline in terms people on FHC can understand.

TOS is like the original works by Marx: horribly dated, campy, badly written, and very few Trekkies have actually seen it although they all think it's great. Laid out the whole IP.

TNG is like early 20th Marxism after Lenin, successful, generally well written and acted, but with some horrific episodes Trekkies try to forget.

DS9 is like WWII Marxism with Maoism creeping in. All about war, brutal occupations, resistance, yet still that purity of cause to win through the darkness.

Voyager is like post-colonialism Marxism. All about a small band of disparate fellow travelers on an endless campaign of violence and struggle in an attempt to return to home.

Enterprise is like late 20th Century Marxism taught by a Berkley professor who doesn't know the difference between Post-Modernism and Dialectic Materialism. Has its great moments but pretty much disappeared up its own arsehole.

Discovery is like the Marxism of that Professor's students who seem educated on the surface but spout mindless shit while serving others coffee at Starbucks. Completely messes everything up, makes a mockery of what has gone before it. All surface and no depth.

Orville is like the Marxism of a sixties activist who dropped too much acid and thinks that Che Guevara is Jesus.