hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 181 of 183 FirstFirst ... 81131171178179180181182183 LastLast
Results 3,601 to 3,620 of 3658

Thread: Star trek!

  1. #3601
    Lowa [NSN]'s Avatar
    Join Date
    April 14, 2011
    Posts
    4,380
    Quote Originally Posted by Lowa [NSN] View Post
    This is not "history of Nazi Germany and its marketing department thread".
    Quote Originally Posted by Hel OWeen View Post
    Tell that the showrunners of Star Trek Picard. Their choice of optics, not ours.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elriche Oshego View Post
    This is the HRE thread now gayboy.
    NO U!

    Edit: will watch new eps tonight. Maybe after I'll paint myself in red, white and black.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarminic View Post
    I would create a dragon made out of vaginas. Then I would create a dragon made out of dicks. Then I would have them fight to the death.

  2. #3602
    Ruri's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    Exclamation, USA
    Posts
    2,560
    Quote Originally Posted by Hel OWeen View Post
    As for 1)
      Spoiler:

    I didn't understand it as Agnes being assimilated, rather that she connected her mind to the hive/queen's mind. The assimilation is - as you rightly described, the process of altering an individual in such a way that this "mind connection" is always on ... and the queen having the control of all drones. As Agnes has this fitting USB implant, she could connect to the hive mind w/o the (physical) assimilation process first.
      Spoiler:
    How do we know she has this fitting USB implant? How do we know that electrical telepathy with borg is even possible if you've never been assimilated? Why, if this process was not meant to be at least partial assimilation, was the name of the episode "Assimilation?"


    As for 2)
    These glaring errors /nonsensical situations exist in every ST series more than we like to admit. I'm currently on a DS9 rewatch and watched Empok Nor (S5E24)*) just this weekend. When in the finale of the episode Garak and O'Brien agreed to meet on the dark promenade to fight it out like men (w/o weapons), O'Brien sneaks around in the darkness, hiding behind pillars to then suddenly get out of cover, pointing his Starfleet plasma rifle at all angles, looking for Garak. Then he hides again and advances to the next pillar. All in the darkness ... just so that whenever he points his rifle around and aims at possible locations of Garak, that rifle lights up its frickin' SPOTLIGHT. What's the point of hiding and sneaking around then, if you give your location away every 4 meters?
    That has nothing to do with anything I'm talking about. There is a difference between showing people not sneaking properly, and fundamental breaks in internal continuity and logic within a single scene. Regardless of whether or not what he's doing seems sensible, O'Brien's rifle doesn't start behaving differently from shot to shot depending on who he's pointing it at, for no other reason than the convenience of the writers.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot
    Do you even lift? Do you even post.

  3. #3603
    Lowa [NSN]'s Avatar
    Join Date
    April 14, 2011
    Posts
    4,380
    Quote Originally Posted by VARRAKK View Post
    I'd rather watch Discovery.
    No, no you wouldnt.

    E3. Yes Ruri has points and yes I agree that some of them are just too obvious and deserves a kickin. Still, I continue to feel this is the best we have gotten in a long time. And I'm entertained.
    But this was probably the dumbest most 101 tropes so far. And I'm getting really tired of shows and characters that despite knowing that if they fuck up the world will end (one way or the other) and then proceeds to immediately go off plan and do things that makes no sense and has no value risking the entire fuckin world/universe on helping a kitten stuck in a tree.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarminic View Post
    I would create a dragon made out of vaginas. Then I would create a dragon made out of dicks. Then I would have them fight to the death.

  4. #3604
    Ruri's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    Exclamation, USA
    Posts
    2,560


    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot
    Do you even lift? Do you even post.

  5. #3605
    Alistair's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Posts
    15,704
    Question:

    Will I have to have watched any of Discovery to get or enjoy Strange New Worlds?

    SNW looks promising. Discovery and their Mushroom Engines, Reimagined Klingons, Characters, Story and the like, was not to my tastes (watched most of season one and dropped it).

    Thanks.


  6. #3606
    Crystalline Entity's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 14, 2011
    Posts
    5,400
    "I think we could all do with sitting back a bit and detaching ourselves from the situation to really think about how these issues reflect on our future and how we discuss them here and be a bit less aggressive or defensive because everyone has a complicated set of circumstances that has led the to place importance on particular issues and it doesn't meany any of them is less valid, we just need to look at the broader picture"

    Smuggo - Brexit Thread

  7. #3607
    Ruri's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    Exclamation, USA
    Posts
    2,560
    Quote Originally Posted by Alistair View Post
    Question:

    Will I have to have watched any of Discovery to get or enjoy Strange New Worlds?

    SNW looks promising. Discovery and their Mushroom Engines, Reimagined Klingons, Characters, Story and the like, was not to my tastes (watched most of season one and dropped it).

    Thanks.
    I don't think so, the characters of Pike, Spock, and Number 1 carry over but from what I have seen it's just brand new Trek, similar to Lower Decks.

    Quote Originally Posted by Crystalline Entity View Post
    Wow that nerdotic fucker is obnoxious. "Booohoooo they removed masculinity" shut your fucking stupid face.

    Rob I used listen to more, he had some good content around the earlier seasons of Disco. No idea if he's gone off into the whingeing white male circlejerk pit the rest of those quivering cumbubbles are wallowing feverishly in, would be a bit of a shame.
    Last edited by Ruri; April 7 2022 at 10:56:36 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot
    Do you even lift? Do you even post.

  8. #3608
    Lowa [NSN]'s Avatar
    Join Date
    April 14, 2011
    Posts
    4,380
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruri View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Alistair View Post
    Question:

    Will I have to have watched any of Discovery to get or enjoy Strange New Worlds?

    SNW looks promising. Discovery and their Mushroom Engines, Reimagined Klingons, Characters, Story and the like, was not to my tastes (watched most of season one and dropped it).

    Thanks.
    similar to Lower Decks.
    If it comes anywhere near that it will be fantastic tbh!


    In other news, Picard continues to be quite good imho. I'm sure Ruri and other hard core people wont agree but here we are.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarminic View Post
    I would create a dragon made out of vaginas. Then I would create a dragon made out of dicks. Then I would have them fight to the death.

  9. #3609
    Ruri's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    Exclamation, USA
    Posts
    2,560
    Quote Originally Posted by Lowa [NSN] View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruri View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Alistair View Post
    Question:

    Will I have to have watched any of Discovery to get or enjoy Strange New Worlds?

    SNW looks promising. Discovery and their Mushroom Engines, Reimagined Klingons, Characters, Story and the like, was not to my tastes (watched most of season one and dropped it).

    Thanks.
    similar to Lower Decks.
    If it comes anywhere near that it will be fantastic tbh!


    In other news, Picard continues to be quite good imho. I'm sure Ruri and other hard core people wont agree but here we are.
    I turned it off during episode 4, just after
      Spoiler:
    Seven and Raffi were riding the bus and the punk was listening to the same music that the punk on the bus was listening to in The Voyage Home and I realized they were never going to be interested in presenting me with new ideas, just throwing fistfulls of Memberberries into the blender and upselling me on a Lazy Storytelling cleanse package.


    This is all the more frustrating/upsetting because my dad - who is a voracious reader of scifi of every kind and introduced me to the whole universe of it, who watched reruns of classic Trek with me during boring extended family visits, who sat next to me with baited breath when Riker said "Mister Worf... Fire!" and the words TO BE CONTINUED came up on screen, who owns the original print run of Dune and let me read it at every age - my dad is enjoying Picard because it has things he recognizes and dramatic camera swoops.

    Sadly, unless there is a data leak out of Paramount, we may never know what the actual viewership of these shows is. But I maintain that it is smaller than either the Star Trek Purist base, or the Scifi Action Distraction base, and neither is particularly well served by Picard.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot
    Do you even lift? Do you even post.

  10. #3610

  11. #3611
    Jori McKie's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 8, 2014
    Location
    Lumpy
    Posts
    322
    Rant start.

    As i previously said Picard season 2 started promising in episode 1 and at the very end of that episode it was going to shit. Well, it wasn't improving it was getting worse and worse with ep 6 the biggest shit show ever. I have to admit i have seen every ep after 1 in fast forward and was just dropping in convos when it seemed interesting but i know for sure that with Q as the "backstory" of this season it can be only a utter failure.

    Every ep with Q in every Star Trek was an utter shit show, why? That's easy because the writers can literally use any deus ex-machina they want and they did it in every ep. Yeah i hate deus ex-machina by heart and as Q is literally is deus ex-machina ... you get the clue. And the worst is in this season Q has no Q power..... yet..... biggest deus ex-machina ever at the end of the season, Q snips and all was a DREAM or some shit.

    Rant end

    Edit:
    Who did not get the dream reference just google -Dallas TV- and you know what i'm talking about
    Last edited by Jori McKie; April 8 2022 at 08:31:32 PM.
    Does a population have informed consent when that population is not taught the inner workings of its monetary system, and then is drawn, all unknowing, into economic adventures?

  12. #3612
    rufuske's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Posts
    4,359
    Quote Originally Posted by Jori McKie View Post
    Rant start.

    As i previously said Picard season 2 started promising in episode 1 and at the very end of that episode it was going to shit. Well, it wasn't improving it was getting worse and worse with ep 6 the biggest shit show ever. I have to admit i have seen every ep after 1 in fast forward and was just dropping in convos when it seemed interesting but i know for sure that with Q as the "backstory" of this season it can be only a utter failure.

    Every ep with Q in every Star Trek was an utter shit show, why? That's easy because the writers can literally use any deus ex-machina they want and they did it in every ep. Yeah i hate deus ex-machina by heart and as Q is literally is deus ex-machina ... you get the clue. And the worst is in this season Q has no Q power..... yet..... biggest deus ex-machina ever at the end of the season, Q snips and all was a DREAM or some shit.

    Rant end

    Edit:
    Who did not get the dream reference just google -Dallas TV- and you know what i'm talking about
    Ahh, in StarTrek of old Q was a vessel to state a conflict between godlike absolute and how enlightened humanity should engage it with. And through a sheer power of reason, not maybe win an upper hand, but at least entertain omnipotent beings without any semblance of reason, morality or justice to indulge them. It was all a battle of wits, with the question of while being omnipotent, what actually drives you, surely not some fondness. Same idea as with gods of old. Omnipotent but still governed by human emotions. All this nuance seems to be lost, but I'm happy John de Lancie gets a new fat paycheck. He was awesome with his limited appearance in Breaking Bad.

  13. #3613

    Join Date
    May 31, 2011
    Posts
    6,308


    This episode felt like a weird LSD trip.

  14. #3614
    VARRAKK's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 27, 2011
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    6,921
    Said it before, and it deserves to be said again. Picard (s2) is worse than Discovery.
    7 episodes in, and the cringe level just keeps rising. Everything is just bad, I can't even watch an entire episode in a single sitting.
    Why is it called earth, when it is mostly water???

  15. #3615
    Lowa [NSN]'s Avatar
    Join Date
    April 14, 2011
    Posts
    4,380
    Quote Originally Posted by VARRAKK View Post
    Said it before, and it deserves to be said again. Picard (s2) is worse than Discovery.
    7 episodes in, and the cringe level just keeps rising. Everything is just bad, I can't even watch an entire episode in a single sitting.
    Did we watch the same Discovery and Picard? I'm the complete opposite.
    I mean, sure Picard has its moments of "oh god what is this" but D's peak cringe and badness was god awful on a whole other level.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarminic View Post
    I would create a dragon made out of vaginas. Then I would create a dragon made out of dicks. Then I would have them fight to the death.

  16. #3616

    Join Date
    May 31, 2011
    Posts
    6,308
    I've rewatched DS9 in the last two month, just finished the last couple of episodes this eastern. And honestly: there are [i]lots[/o] of medicore-to-terrible episodes. We keep forgetting those. E.g. most mirror universe episodes are meh ... and I didn't remeber that DS9 had that many mirror universe episodes. Same goes for most Ferengi episodes. And the IMHO brilliant Gul Dukat character becomes shit in S6 when the writers decided to transform him into cultist who'd do be better in Supernatural than a SciFi show like DS9.

    tl;dr
    The ST shows of our past (youth?) perhaps was better than the new shows, but IMHO not as much as some here proclaim them to be.

  17. #3617
    Jack Coutu's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 9, 2011
    Location
    marketjacker
    Posts
    3,043
    Quote Originally Posted by Hel OWeen View Post
    I've rewatched DS9 in the last two month, just finished the last couple of episodes this eastern. And honestly: there are [i]lots[/o] of medicore-to-terrible episodes. We keep forgetting those. E.g. most mirror universe episodes are meh ... and I didn't remeber that DS9 had that many mirror universe episodes. Same goes for most Ferengi episodes. And the IMHO brilliant Gul Dukat character becomes shit in S6 when the writers decided to transform him into cultist who'd do be better in Supernatural than a SciFi show like DS9.

    tl;dr
    The ST shows of our past (youth?) perhaps was better than the new shows, but IMHO not as much as some here proclaim them to be.
    The nice part of the mirror shit and the Ferengi stuff is you could skip it and move on the the other 20 episodes, 15 of them were usually fantastic.

  18. #3618
    Donor Verite Rendition's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Posts
    4,062
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Coutu View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hel OWeen View Post
    I've rewatched DS9 in the last two month, just finished the last couple of episodes this eastern. And honestly: there are [i]lots[/o] of medicore-to-terrible episodes. We keep forgetting those. E.g. most mirror universe episodes are meh ... and I didn't remeber that DS9 had that many mirror universe episodes. Same goes for most Ferengi episodes. And the IMHO brilliant Gul Dukat character becomes shit in S6 when the writers decided to transform him into cultist who'd do be better in Supernatural than a SciFi show like DS9.

    tl;dr
    The ST shows of our past (youth?) perhaps was better than the new shows, but IMHO not as much as some here proclaim them to be.
    The nice part of the mirror shit and the Ferengi stuff is you could skip it and move on the the other 20 episodes, 15 of them were usually fantastic.
    And for those of us who liked the Ferengi stuff, there were enough episodes that we could look forward to the occasional oddball episode like that.
    Tranquility (EVE) Influence Map
    Life is absurd, but with a little effort we can make it completely ridiculous

  19. #3619
    Movember 2012 Zekk Pacus's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 11, 2011
    Posts
    8,347
    Quote Originally Posted by Hel OWeen View Post
    I've rewatched DS9 in the last two month, just finished the last couple of episodes this eastern. And honestly: there are [i]lots[/o] of medicore-to-terrible episodes. We keep forgetting those. E.g. most mirror universe episodes are meh ... and I didn't remeber that DS9 had that many mirror universe episodes. Same goes for most Ferengi episodes. And the IMHO brilliant Gul Dukat character becomes shit in S6 when the writers decided to transform him into cultist who'd do be better in Supernatural than a SciFi show like DS9.

    tl;dr
    The ST shows of our past (youth?) perhaps was better than the new shows, but IMHO not as much as some here proclaim them to be.
    All of the original shows have this problem, that people have completely forgotten about because nostalgia.

    For every Best Of Both Worlds, there's three throwaway filler episodes.
    'I'm pro life. I'm a non-smoker. I'm a pro-life non-smoker. WOO, Let the party begin!'

  20. #3620
    Ruri's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    Exclamation, USA
    Posts
    2,560
    Quote Originally Posted by Zekk Pacus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hel OWeen View Post
    I've rewatched DS9 in the last two month, just finished the last couple of episodes this eastern. And honestly: there are [i]lots[/o] of medicore-to-terrible episodes. We keep forgetting those. E.g. most mirror universe episodes are meh ... and I didn't remeber that DS9 had that many mirror universe episodes. Same goes for most Ferengi episodes. And the IMHO brilliant Gul Dukat character becomes shit in S6 when the writers decided to transform him into cultist who'd do be better in Supernatural than a SciFi show like DS9.

    tl;dr
    The ST shows of our past (youth?) perhaps was better than the new shows, but IMHO not as much as some here proclaim them to be.
    All of the original shows have this problem, that people have completely forgotten about because nostalgia.

    For every Best Of Both Worlds, there's three throwaway filler episodes.
    Well a) I don't think it's quite that high a ratio but art is subjective and YMMV so whatevs, but b) the original shows had great episodes. There's not a single episode that I've seen of Disco or Picard that I would even allow into the same major league ballpark as BoBW.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot
    Do you even lift? Do you even post.

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •