hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 174 of 175 FirstFirst ... 74124164171172173174175 LastLast
Results 3,461 to 3,480 of 3500

Thread: Star trek!

Quote Originally Posted by Venec View Post
    Based...

Also what the fuck is happening with STD?

More like Star Trek: 'Let's talk about our feelings every time someone leaves the show'
    Mirror Georgiou was a genocidal maniac and cold blooded killer who seemed to barely tolerate her existence in the 'prime' universe. But everyone clapped.
    There's been all sorts of rumours about a Michelle Yeoh spin off. Not sure how far back it will have to be if she's gone back 'before the split'.

Spinoff with Michelle Yeoh has been officially in development for some time
    https://deadline.com/2019/01/star-tr...nt-1202534747/

The mirror universe crap is Flash Gordon tier big ham with more lens flare. How anyone can think that warrants a spinoff is beyond me.

I mean I'm down for a completely MU focused series, rather than what Discovery is doing which is just visiting it when it fancies and/or has run out of ways to write itself out of its current hole.

Except reading the article and the spinoff isn't MU focused at all, it's focused on the part of season 2 where it went from 'this is decent trek with issues' to 'we are disappearing up our own butthole now bai'.
    'I'm pro life. I'm a non-smoker. I'm a pro-life non-smoker. WOO, Let the party begin!'

Quote Originally Posted by Zekk Pacus View Post
    I mean I'm down for a completely MU focused series, rather than what Discovery is doing which is just visiting it when it fancies and/or has run out of ways to write itself out of its current hole.

Except reading the article and the spinoff isn't MU focused at all, it's focused on the part of season 2 where it went from 'this is decent trek with issues' to 'we are disappearing up our own butthole now bai'.
    implying it ever reached the level of "decent trek"

The whole "let's say a goodbye toast to the Bloodthirsty Mad Evil Mirror Universe Empress" scene is a perfect encapsulation of why NuTrek is so horrible - it's not just that they're shitting on canon and rewriting/ignoring/exploiting the past, it's that they seem to write scenes (sometimes entire story arcs) that are tonally, emotionally, and logically disconnected from anything that came before them, and anything that comes after, because they have a checklist of "scenes what we need to have in our teevee show."

Fuck.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot
    Do you even lift? Do you even post.

Movember 2011Movember 2012 Nordstern's Avatar
    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm
    Quote Originally Posted by Larkonis Trassler View Post
    WTF I hate white people now...
    Johns Hopkins CSSE COVID-19 Dashboard

Quote Originally Posted by Nordstern View Post

Season 3 Episode 11 - I had to turn it off. It might be one of the worst things I've ever tried to watch, I just... might be out of words, at this point. Thinking about it makes me feel the passing of those few precious seconds I spend as a horrible burning loss, watching my life go up in flames and evaporate before my eyes before it disappears into the ever-growing maw of the past.

~ Merry Christmas ~

Just rewatch good trek, you are just showing you're into torture at this point.

For the first time ever, I'm uncritically on the side of 'it's just bad trek' people.

They've got no idea where they're going with the story, they introduce and discard concepts as and when it suits them, and they know exactly where they want the characters to be at all times and give not one single shit how they get there.

A shame, really. The original concept had such promise, and I still like season 1.
    'I'm pro life. I'm a non-smoker. I'm a pro-life non-smoker. WOO, Let the party begin!'

Quote Originally Posted by Ruri View Post
    Season 3 Episode 11 - I had to turn it off. It might be one of the worst things I've ever tried to watch, I just... might be out of words, at this point. Thinking about it makes me feel the passing of those few precious seconds I spend as a horrible burning loss, watching my life go up in flames and evaporate before my eyes before it disappears into the ever-growing maw of the past.
    Why are you using so many words to say "They hit us because they love us"?

It's a toxic relationship. End it.
    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm

Do they have xmans in space?

I'm confused is there a reason Trek after TnG and DS9 timeline isn't viable for a series. Why does everything involve prequels or alternative timelines?

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Coutu View Post
    I'm confused is there a reason Trek after TnG and DS9 timeline isn't viable for a series. Why does everything involve prequels or alternative timelines?
    Death of creativity in big franchises due to studio execs just wanting easy cash.

Unironically watch this vid if you want an analysis of that:

It may seem irrelevant at first, but hauntology ties with the death of creativity in mass media.
    Last edited by Venec; December 26 2020 at 10:04:23 PM.

As discussed previously...

"Hull breach on decks 3, 4, and 6!" x20

Quote Originally Posted by Venec View Post
    Death of creativity in big franchises due to studio execs just wanting easy cash.
    Also, have you heard of Spock? I hear the kids love Spock! Maybe we should put Spock in this one?

Quote Originally Posted by Nordstern View Post
    As discussed previously...

"Hull breach on decks 3, 4, and 6!" x20
    Idk that doesn't explain why they can't advance the timeline and bring new stories into the fold. I watched a bunch of TNG and watching DS9 this fall was fun even though the recipe was similar.

Also life only has so many unique critical moments. Shows like BSG had story arcs similar to ds9, a seasonal crisis tied into a larger story. Ds9 wrapped that up far better but it followed a far more pedantic trek episode pace and was still a joy to watch. I just don't get why people watch nutrek, unless you are pirating it you are just feeding the fire

I finally made it through Star Trek: Lower Decks. Mariner still ranks quite low on my scale of ST characters. But I legitimately appreciate the thought put into the show, and to tie it in to the larger universe in meaningful ways. It's still something that I feel should be treated more as a parody than a dramatic work, but the show definitely gets the Heroic Future vibe that underpins good Trek.

Isn't that a role that Picard is (poorly) filling?
    Last edited by Verite Rendition; December 27 2020 at 02:44:15 AM.
    Tranquility (EVE) Influence Map
    Life is absurd, but with a little effort we can make it completely ridiculous

Lower Decks is the 'trekkiest' of the new shows.

Spoiler:
    It's still slightly cringe though

unless you are pirating it you are just feeding the fire
    Trust me I'm not giving these fuckers a dime.

Yinz appreciate Lower Decks now don't ya, now that season 3 of Disco is landing with all the dignity and force of a stream of diarrhea being leaked out in shame behind a back alley dumpster, dribbling out of the bowels of Alex Kurtzman as he continues to convert nostalgia into excrement.

What blows my mind the most about this latest episode is the two reviews of it I scraped off RottenTomatoesDotCom were very positive, one praising it as the best ep. of the series. Made me wonder what one has to do to get paid to write media criticism, fucking, put me in coach, that is a game I would gladly play.