hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 116 of 121 FirstFirst ... 1666106113114115116117118119 ... LastLast
Results 2,301 to 2,320 of 2406

Thread: Star trek!

Specially Pegged Donor Overspark's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Verite Rendition View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DevilDude View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Overspark View Post
    So what you guys are saying is that Andromeda at some point wasn't the unbearable cringeworthy drivel it certainly ended up as? I tried watching it a couple of times when it was still on TV but never lasted more than about 2 minutes.
    good concept but sort of lackluster execution, the worldbuilding was excellent but the acting and effects were on par with Xena or Hercules except it was sci-fi. The later seasons were indeed much worse but the early ones were still pretty awkward.
    This really makes me want to actually sit down and properly watch the first two seasons of Andromeda now.
    That's sort-of why I asked. Still not sure if I should though... oh well, gotta watch the new STD season first I guess.

I'm in the lucky position that I often can just enjoy show even with these things. I notice them, but I thankfully I don't get into nerd-rage-mode over it. Makes it possible to enjoy these kinda "bad"/cheesy shows, get more joy than frustration out of it, while still being fully aware of the show's quality or better lack thereof.

So if you tend to get enraged by "tiny, totally unrealistic details" in a completely made-up world/setting, you most likely might no enjoy it. If you more like me: give it a try. You might still find it not entertaining, which is OK.

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
    Having seen the first two eps of S2 of Discovery i must admit ST is becoming more Trekky … ;P

or maybe i just got used to it ^^

Not so bad though
    Yepp, that 2nd episode was a textbook example of a typical ST, non-DS9 episode. I also enjoy how they portrait Pike
      Spoiler:

I was totally annoyed by the first few minutes of the first episode after he took over the Discovery. "Oh pleeease", I thought, "For all that's holy to ya script writer guys, do we really need to create a superficial drama with the new captain just for the sake of having "social interaction, differing personalities? Can we please have the series's drama & friction create from an outside source?"

I than was in for a positive surprise and relieve: after Burnham set him straight about that "leaving Starfleet personal behind", he recognized the error he made by making it sound like he cares, but not Discovery's crew, with what and how he said it.

And then that nicely message-sending "Need the meeting room redone, need seats for my officers, wanna hear their opinion" chat with Burnham's contrasting "Welp, Lorka didn't" comment.

All he has done since makes sense. The ending of E2 was a perfect example: follow the (Starfleet) rules, bend them if need and there's a good cause/reason for it, but don't break 'em.

Soooo.... is s2 less dumb so far? Do we get to know the names of the bridge crew yet? Has anyone been eaten or died in a spectacularly stupid way for absolutely no reason yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Pattern View Post
    Soooo.... is s2 less dumb so far? Do we get to know the names of the bridge crew yet? Has anyone been eaten or died in a spectacularly stupid way for absolutely no reason yet?
    A wh*te male officer died while mansplaining to Burnham in ep1.

At least they’re exploring something. I guess that’s a plus.

Quote Originally Posted by Totally Not Larkonnis View Post
    A wh*te male officer died while mansplaining to Burnham in ep1.
    He had the lowest odds of coming out alive I've seen in a long time and once they where flying it was so obvious it was painful tbh.

Overall its feels better but then again, they come from absolute shit level.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarminic View Post
    I would create a dragon made out of vaginas. Then I would create a dragon made out of dicks. Then I would have them fight to the death.

Watched the first two episodes last night.

Not bad, not bad. Pike's okay, but he's got a bit of the "Captain Mitt Romney" vibe going on. He looks like a Space Mormon from The Expanse.

Also, weren't we just talking about lolreligion and Star Trek?

Movember '11 Ginger Excellence Movember 2011Movember 2012 sarabando's Avatar
    my big issue with Disco is the toxic fanbase and i dont mean the "its not trek watch the orville" lot, i mean the other side who are just as bad. When the science douche got blown up in episode one i was fine with it until you started seeing reviews that praised the show for "killing a white man while mansplaining" and i just dont fucking care about your super progressive virtue signally its fucking star trek its "Progressive" (god i hate that word) it always has been.

Im glad we are seeing more about the bridge crew, the 5 seconds of the pilot showing some fucking emotions before performing the worlds most boring doughnut made me like her more that all of season 1.

The only thing worse than SJW's are nerds bitching about SJW's... *sigh*

Quote Originally Posted by sarabando View Post
    my big issue with Disco is the toxic fanbase and i dont mean the "its not trek watch the orville" lot, i mean the other side who are just as bad. When the science douche got blown up in episode one i was fine with it until you started seeing reviews that praised the show for "killing a white man while mansplaining" and i just dont fucking care about your super progressive virtue signally its fucking star trek its "Progressive" (god i hate that word) it always has been.
    You've never seen a comedic set piece where a woman is ironically given comeuppance while doing berating her husband or doing some other stereotypical womanly thing?
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Mason
    It is absurd that we are capable of witnessing a 40,000 year old system of gender oppression begin to dissolve before our eyes yet still see the abolition of a 200 year old economic system as an unrealistic utopia.

Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    You've never seen a comedic set piece where a woman is ironically given comeuppance while doing berating her husband or doing some other stereotypical womanly thing?
    My only issue, if I even really care tbh, was it was so badly executed. Of all the ways you could have made that point they chose and showed the worst.
    I did however find it hilarious that they literately didnt give one shit about that he died! Thats some stone cold shit right there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarminic View Post
    I would create a dragon made out of vaginas. Then I would create a dragon made out of dicks. Then I would have them fight to the death.

I'm a fat nerd who watches Star Trek.

Can someone please show me a non-toxic fandom? Other than EVE players/bittervets, ofc.

Factorio and Stellaris fans seem pretty chill.

Quote Originally Posted by Lachesis VII View Post
    Can someone please show me a non-toxic fandom? Other than EVE players/bittervets, ofc.
    Stamp collectors.
    "Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered, those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid. Thus the wise win before they fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Zhuge Liang

That doesn't mean it's ok to do the same with a man. It's #2019. They could have at least given him a red shirt.
    Also have you not watched any advert for the last 20 years?

Cyberpunk (genre) fans; they know the future is fucked already and that it's not going to be your skin color or your gender that get's you ground into paste.

Quote Originally Posted by Verite Rendition View Post
    So what you guys are saying is that Andromeda at some point wasn't the unbearable cringeworthy drivel it certainly ended up as? I tried watching it a couple of times when it was still on TV but never lasted more than about 2 minutes.
    good concept but sort of lackluster execution, the worldbuilding was excellent but the acting and effects were on par with Xena or Hercules except it was sci-fi. The later seasons were indeed much worse but the early ones were still pretty awkward.
    This really makes me want to actually sit down and properly watch the first two seasons of Andromeda now.
    That's sort-of why I asked. Still not sure if I should though... oh well, gotta watch the new STD season first I guess.
    Late to the party... Andromeda may not be good in the traditional sense of the word, but its *fun*.

The entire concept of a show main-starring a jesus freak beefcake, based on waste material from a cult-starting hack fraud, about a timetraveling spaceship (with tits) in the far future... i cant help but enjoy it.

Production quality was pretty good for its time as well, although the sets are tiny soundstages 99% of the time.

Cyberpunk (genre) fans; they know the future is fucked already and that it's not going to be your skin color or your gender that get's you ground into paste.
    WH40k fandom is pretty chill, since they are aware how ridiculous it is.
    Last edited by Lilalaunebör; January 28 2019 at 11:17:25 PM.

Super Baderator DonorGlobal Moderator cullnean's Avatar
    The tower of power, too sweet to be sour, ohhhh yeahh!
    Quote Originally Posted by Totally Not Larkonnis View Post
    That doesn't mean it's ok to do the same with a man. It's #2019. They could have at least given him a red shirt.
    Also have you not watched any advert for the last 20 years?
    i remember when bait was good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elriche Oshego View Post
    Cullneshi the god of shitposting.