hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 47 of 134 FirstFirst ... 37444546474849505797 ... LastLast

Thread: Star trek!

Quote Originally Posted by Larkonis Trassler View Post
    DS9 had a good arc but it didn't really deal with anything particularly well.
    Also didn't have the cash to pull off its story arcs particularly well. Supposedly epic battles with thousands of ships reduced to the same four stock shots of the defiant swooping around like an F-16. Ground combat happening in the same shitty cloth uniforms with the same shitty props they'd been using since TNG.
    Last edited by elmicker; January 22 2017 at 12:31:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by elmicker View Post
    Also didn't have the cash to pull off its story arcs particularly well. Supposedly epic battles with thousands of ships reduced to the same four stock shots of the defiant swooping around like an F-16. Ground combat happening in the same shitty cloth uniforms with the same shitty props they'd been using since TNG.
    Relying on "zomg epic space battuls" to make Star Trek good sounds like a terrible plan. Suppose the space battuls pew pew pew were the best evar! Whoopie doo.

How well you do with what you have is a good judge of a show/movie, not how much money you have before you start. TNG's space battles were slow lumbering affairs with barely a shot fired and it got the message across wonderfully. When a ship exploded it was actually a notable event with some impact.

I was irritated in DS9 when starfleet sent a galaxy class ship (looked like they used the model of the enterprise for it) through the wormhole and lost it to three dominion ships. That ship blew up like weaksauce and they never brought it up again. An event like that used to be a big deal, a galaxy class starship is a spectacle.

Bah.
    Last edited by Frug; January 22 2017 at 10:28:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Loire
    I'm too stupid to say anything that deserves being in your magnificent signature.

Quote Originally Posted by Frug View Post
    Relying on "zomg epic space battuls" to make Star Trek good sounds like a terrible plan. Suppose the space battuls pew pew pew were the best evar! Whoopie doo.

How well you do with what you have is a good judge of a show/movie, not how much money you have before you start. TNG's space battles were slow lumbering affairs with barely a shot fired and it got the message across wonderfully. When a ship exploded it was actually a notable event with some impact.

I was irritated in DS9 when starfleet sent a galaxy class ship (looked like they used the model of the enterprise for it) through the wormhole and lost it to three dominion ships. That ship blew up like weaksauce and they never brought it up again. An event like that used to be a big deal, a galaxy class starship is a spectacle.

Bah.
    The Worf Effect in action. Writers needed to show how big a threat the Dominion was militarily, so they showed us one of the biggest and baddest Starfleet ships getting rekt.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot View Post
    Canadians are usually cooler.
    Thermonuclear Banana Split - A not-really-weekly Eclipse Phase campaign journal

Quote Originally Posted by Steph View Post

Bah.
    The Worf Effect in action. Writers needed to show how big a threat the Dominion was militarily, so they showed us one of the biggest and baddest Starfleet ships getting rekt.
    Didn't they ram the Galaxy-class with a Jem'hadar cruiser? Right in the nacelle?

I mean, yeah, they let them get that close. But it probably was also a way to show the Federation that the Dominion didn't really put much value on their troops and they could do this over and over...

Quote Originally Posted by Idara View Post

Bah.
    Didn't they ram the Galaxy-class with a Jem'hadar cruiser? Right in the nacelle?

I mean, yeah, they let them get that close. But it probably was also a way to show the Federation that the Dominion didn't really put much value on their troops and they could do this over and over...

Alright, so it wasn't actually that bad. It was the climax of the episode, and a plot device that let the Rio Grande rescue Sisko without getting blown the fuck up.

TNG was much more consistent at really making you think.
    TNG does have some fucking awesome, smart episodes. Measure of a Man, Inner Light, Tapestry... so good. But TNG in general just doesn't hold up well when rewatching now, imo. Apart from a handful of standout episodes the series has too many cringey morality plays that come off patronising and simplistic to a modern audience used to more sophisticated television. It's not a fault of the show; after all the style of the show is just a product of the times. TV changed however and while DS9 was fortunate to be ahead of it's time by adopting a serialized format, TNG was wrapping up just before the new style it caught on.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruri View Post
    There is ZERO fun in Nemesis, and close to none in the other TNG flicks as well.
    Didn't Nemesis have that random dune buggy chase scene at the beginning? I guess they were going for fun, at least.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruri View Post
    You know, V gets a real bad rap but I actually think it's the closest thing to an extended episode of the original series that they made (for better or worse).
    I agree, if STV was a TV episode in any Trek series it'd probably be regarded as one of the best for the premise alone. I actually don't dislike STV but I can understand why it always end up a the bottom of the "best of" lists when it comes to ST movies. I'd rate it above Insurrection or Nemesis, at least.
    EVE Down Under - a community for players in the AUTZ
    In-game channel: evedownunder // Twitter // Facebook // www.evedownunder.com

Yeah. But what was the federation's response? A big fat meh, send Sisko the defiant and do nothing until the dominion finally invaded.

Y'know, if that was the Enterprise, they would have depressurized the docking bay in the last second to push the ship out of the way, right after getting stuck in a time loop and sending data a message with the number 3.
    Last edited by Frug; January 23 2017 at 05:43:09 AM.

I'm too stupid to say anything that deserves being in your magnificent signature.

Quote Originally Posted by Bam Stroker View Post
    TNG does have some fucking awesome, smart episodes. Measure of a Man, Inner Light, Tapestry... so good.

Great episode.

Yeah, I can see that. Thing is, I find everything else about TNG superior.

The characters were weaker and it was still mostly self contained episodes, but the show is just better overall. It set the tone of what Trek should be and a lot of the writing in the episodes is second to none. DS9 lacks the equivalent of masterpieces like the Borg (before they were ruined), the Klingons (edit: actually the cardassians are just as cool, I guess), "THERE ARE FOUR LIGHTS" aka Chain of Command and the other assorted TNG memes. Plenty of DS9 is bland and unremarkable by comparison. The Enterprise D is the best set in any trek, inside and out, including movies. It wins top marks for style from me.
    Having recently rewatched all of DS9, it strikes me that while TNG was timeless and moral, DS9 was more timely and political. How you value each of those is of course up to the individual, but I can see where DS9's explicit political overtones in re: terrorism, religious fundamentalism, populist demagoguery vs. sober technocracy, would not translate well to some viewers. Go back and watch any scene with Kai Wynn though and tell me, tell me that she doesn't sound precisely like Kelly Ann Conway today.

fakedit: the TNG set was good enough to use in two of the original TOS movies, it's good enough for me :thumbsup:
    Last edited by Ruri; January 23 2017 at 05:50:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot
    Do you even lift? Do you even post.

Ass ass ass.

Didn't Nemesis have that random dune buggy chase scene at the beginning? I guess they were going for fun, at least.
    Pastry.. That the best you can do?
    Quote Originally Posted by NotXenosis View Post

M8, i have discussions that spam multiple accounts, you aren't even on my level

TNG does have some fucking awesome, smart episodes. Measure of a Man, Inner Light, Tapestry... so good.
      Spoiler:

Great episode.
    My favorite Trek episode amongst all series.

And even more relevant today than back when the script was written.

VOY did something similar with The Doctor, IIRC.

Yeah. But what was the federation's response? A big fat meh, send Sisko the defiant and do nothing until the dominion finally invaded.

Y'know, if that was the Enterprise, they would have depressurized the docking bay in the last second to push the ship out of the way, right after getting stuck in a time loop and sending data a message with the number 3.
    Thing is, until the Dominion war the Federation itself was a big fat meh when it came to military matters. Their opponents were either smaller and technological inferior (Cardassians, Talarianas) outnumbered (Romulans) or could be swayed by diplomacy (Klingons). Hells they had the luxury of having their flagship full of women and children captained by an officer whose idea of an agressive response was two instead of three stern warnings.
    The Borg, the first real threat for decades, were more of a force of nature and nothing that could be fought in any conventional way, that is till First Contact and Voyager neutered them.

Then they encounter this mysterious Gamma Quadrant power with rather hostile plans of it's own. The initial response was as inept as could be expected from a society which, with the expection of the borg attack, hasn't faced anything larger than a skimirsh for the last few decades.
    Last edited by Constantinus; January 23 2017 at 12:18:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Constantinus View Post
    Thing is, until the Dominion war the Federation itself was a big fat meh when it came to military matters. Their opponents were either smaller and technological inferior (Cardassians, Talarianas) outnumbered (Romulans) or could be swayed by diplomacy (Klingons). Hells they had the luxury of having their flagship full of women and children captained by an officer whose idea of an agressive response was two instead of three stern warnings.
    The Borg, the first real threat for decades, were more of a force of nature and nothing that could be fought in any conventional way, that is till First Contact and Voyager neutered them.
    I'm going to disagree with basically all of your conclusions.

You're saying Starfleet is meh and literally half the galaxy is full of meh - everyone is either inferior or cowardly. You're saying the Romulans are just outnumbered, but the enterprise can toe to toe with a warbird. On a good day it could take two. I don't think the tactic is to swarm them. Likewise Starfleet went toe to toe with the Klingons and those guys are maniacs. It wasn't just diplomacy (fighting is Klingon diplomacy). A galaxy class Starship is arguably the nastiest single ship in two quadrants not because everyone's a schmuck, but because it's better than you think it is. It makes more sense to put families on this thing if it's really safe, and it is because it's powerful. It ought to be treated more like a Star Destroyer that doesn't need to be as big because it doesn't have a fighter deck (because fighters would be silly, because star trek isn't star wars and beam weapons actually hit things. The enterprise would down a wing of tie fighters without missing a step).

It doesn't look like the Enterprise D has a lot of pew pew because of the nature of the show, but it absolutely does. Instead of shooting a dinky phaser 10 times (and missing half of them, a-la DS9) it holds back until Picard decides his inner Gandhi should take a back seat to his inner Rommel and then fires once or twice, generally messing up what it's decided to shoot at because the thing is fucking huge and exceedingly well engineered. And if by some miracle its opponent is tough enough to withstand that pounding (like it's a flag ship of one of the few other not-at-all-meh races, like the Romulans or the Klingons), it has photons and will probably win.

I certainly don't think it was ever the show's intention to mark everyone as incompetent or the war with the klingons as a diplomatic cake walk. The apparent weakness of Starfleet is the result of a conscious decision to hamstring it with humanity's utopic ideals. The moment a stern reaction is required, it is more than capable. The only time it ever looked weak was the Borg, but then that was the whole point of the Borg; a deus ex machina summoned from the ether and turned against humanity.

Even ignoring all of the above: While I accept that the Dominion was supposed to be so badass that they trounced the federation in one (albeit disappointing) fight, that doesn't explain the lack of response. It's not like they lose one of those ships regularly. It should have been a bigger deal to everyone. During peacetime an event like that is shocking. The whole thing could have been better handled if it had survived and limped away, or at least jettisoned some escape pods.

As much as I love dorking out, discussing Star Trek combat in earnest? Whatever the plot requires happens, sometimes the flimsiest Bird of Prey might fart in the general direction and zomgwreck everything, on other occassions three of them don't really manage to land a critical hit; sometimes a Warbird is like the most fearsome threat over, on other occasions there is some pewpew back and forth until they run away again or get defeated by the Enterprise D dumping their wastewater to uncloak them...you get my drift.
    Pastry.. That the best you can do?
    Quote Originally Posted by NotXenosis View Post

M8, i have discussions that spam multiple accounts, you aren't even on my level

Yeah but that's mostly the movies and DS9. Mostly.

THE PUNISHED

And early test footage for The Best of Both Worlds:

Last edited by Ralara; January 25 2017 at 08:03:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralara View Post

And early test footage for The Best of Both Worlds:

Who summoned Ralara?

THE PUNISHED
    Quote Originally Posted by Helen View Post
    Who summoned Ralara?

After re-watching the first several episodes of Voyager, I'm prepared to state that

A: If I were to pick a show to be a part of as a character, I'd pick DS9
    B: If I were to pick a ship to travel through the cosmos on, I'd pick The Enterprise-D
    C: If I were to choose a captain to serve under, I'd pick Janeway
    D : If I were to choose a captain to have a drink with at the bar, it would without a second's hesitation be Kirk.

Do you even lift? Do you even post.

Ass ass ass.

That's...

Not a bad list.