hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 81 of 84 FirstFirst ... 317178798081828384 LastLast
Results 1,601 to 1,620 of 1667

Thread: Star trek!

The largest problem with the spore drive is that it’s just pandering technobabble, and it’s totally unnecessary. A war with the Klingons would have been an interesting enough topic for the show to delve into, and it would have still been a unique and different tone for a Star Trek series. For all of the continuity problems the new technology presents, you would think it would be worth it, right? And that’s what gets me — I just don’t see how it is. I’m not one of those old, angry, and upset grandpa style Star Trek fans — I appreciate the old shows and movies, but have also enjoyed the new iterations (lens flare and all). Discovery changes a lot about Trek, and offers a perspective into that universe not seen before — so why couldn’t that be enough?
    https://www.startalkradio.net/spoile...vel-technology

I can't agree with this enough.

People who complain about egregious technobabble in trek should be fucking shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Pattern View Post

The largest problem with the spore drive is that it’s just pandering technobabble, and it’s totally unnecessary. A war with the Klingons would have been an interesting enough topic for the show to delve into, and it would have still been a unique and different tone for a Star Trek series. For all of the continuity problems the new technology presents, you would think it would be worth it, right? And that’s what gets me — I just don’t see how it is. I’m not one of those old, angry, and upset grandpa style Star Trek fans — I appreciate the old shows and movies, but have also enjoyed the new iterations (lens flare and all). Discovery changes a lot about Trek, and offers a perspective into that universe not seen before — so why couldn’t that be enough?

The ship travels via magic mushrooms. Just consider the whole show to be a really crazy trip.

Why does this show with made up science fiction stuff in it have a made up science fiction thing?

Quote Originally Posted by SAI Peregrinus View Post

The ship travels via magic mushrooms. Just consider the whole show to be a really crazy trip.
    link to full ep?

Interview with the guy that came up with it and is apparently acting as a consultant on the series:

tl;dr some paranoid shroom junkie is writing science part of STD......

Quote Originally Posted by rufuske View Post
    That explains a lot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarminic View Post
    I would create a dragon made out of vaginas. Then I would create a dragon made out of dicks. Then I would have them fight to the death.

Quote Originally Posted by The Contemporary Poster View Post
    Why does this show with made up science fiction stuff in it have a made up science fiction thing?
    The problem is it completely breaks canon - the established lore of the universe. And that is important because it ruins suspension of disbelief. Yes, Treknobabble is a real thing in the universe but at least it was internally consistent - the spore drive completely breaks the rules of the universe and they're going to have to come up with one fuck of a way of explaining it away that also includes why groups like the Borg, the Cardassians etc don't use it.
    'I'm pro life. I'm a non-smoker. I'm a pro-life non-smoker. WOO, Let the party begin!'

Quote Originally Posted by rufuske View Post
    Interview with the guy that came up with it and is apparently acting as a consultant on the series:

Don't ask him about portobello mushrooms or the myceliuminati will find and kill him.!!
    2/10/17 Greatposthellpurge never forget
    23/10/17 The Greatreposteninging ?

Quote Originally Posted by Zekk Pacus View Post
    The problem is it completely breaks canon - the established lore of the universe. And that is important because it ruins suspension of disbelief. Yes, Treknobabble is a real thing in the universe but at least it was internally consistent - the spore drive completely breaks the rules of the universe and they're going to have to come up with one fuck of a way of explaining it away that also includes why groups like the Borg, the Cardassians etc don't use it.
    Does it? Clearly the drive is unstable and getting it to work without massive problems seems to be impossible so that's your explanation right there.

TBH the worst thing about the spore drive is the retarded spinny and drop warp effects.

Quote Originally Posted by Straight Hustlin View Post
    TBH the worst thing about the spore drive is the retarded spinny and drop warp effects.
    I'd agree with that.

Quote Originally Posted by elmicker View Post
    People who complain about egregious technobabble in trek should be fucking shot.
    You are the reason why star trek is so bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Zekk Pacus View Post
    Does it? Clearly the drive is unstable and getting it to work without massive problems seems to be impossible so that's your explanation right there.
    Eh. It seems to work just fine as long as you don't mind sacrificing a human now and then. Which is obviously a problem for Starfleet, but wouldn't be for the many races that oppose the Federation.

Quote Originally Posted by Straight Hustlin View Post
    The spinny bit is indeed weird. But I must admit I do love teleportation shenanigans. Dark Matter had a similar drive - the Blink Drive - and it was a lot of fun.
    Tranquility (EVE) Influence Map
    Life is absurd, but with a little effort we can make it completely ridiculous

Confirming this.

There is technobabble that is reasonably based on science and theory, and is used to further a plot... and then there's utter nonsense that you'd expect to see in star wars, not star trek. Equating all technobabble is stupid.

But I realized this show didn't give a fuck at the pilot. It's a bit late to complain now.

Quote Originally Posted by Loire
    I'm too stupid to say anything that deserves being in your magnificent signature.

Super Chillerator Global Moderator teds :D's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Frug View Post
    It's a bit late to complain now.
    won't stop you though

Confirming this.

There is technobabble that is reasonably based on science and theory, and is used to further a plot... and then there's utter nonsense that you'd expect to see in star wars, not star trek. Equating all technobabble is stupid.
    I still maintain Sam Carter was the best technobabbler if not of all time, then at least of the shows I have watched.

Trek technobabble has always been terrible and one of the main reasons I never really got into watching it like a proper trekkie. It's just so obviously nonsense and often used to completely solve an episode's problem.

Why are we calling it technobabble anyway and not what it is: deus ex machina.

Tapapapatalk
    nevar forget

Quote Originally Posted by Miriam Sasko View Post
    Confirming this.

I still maintain Sam Carter was the best technobabbler if not of all time, then at least of the shows I have watched.

Trek technobabble has always been terrible and one of the main reasons I never really got into watching it like a proper trekkie. It's just so obviously nonsense and often used to completely solve an episode's problem.
    Voyager is worse for this than the other ones.

And that sort of nonsense never appears in star wars, I'm not sure what Frug means by that. Technological solutions to problems in star wars normally amount to pressing a button that's difficult to get to or damaging something that's difficult to damage.

Nobody ever reverses the polarity of the shields so that neutron beams can radiate into the space worm like Voyage does every 3 or 4 episodes.

Poland treats me like shit and I hate them as a result of it

I've rambled enough about how bad STD is elsewhere.

My only thought on the spore drive will be that they will agree some sort of 'ban' before TOS starts... and then it is 'never mentioned again ever'.

Quite how they will enforce a ban across all the different species... well, yeah that will be some shit writing but whatever, the show is crap.
    "I think we could all do with sitting back a bit and detaching ourselves from the situation to really think about how these issues reflect on our future and how we discuss them here and be a bit less aggressive or defensive because everyone has a complicated set of circumstances that has led the to place importance on particular issues and it doesn't meany any of them is less valid, we just need to look at the broader picture"

Smuggo - Brexit Thread