hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MWD frig solo pvp in FW

MWD frig solo pvp in FW

I've done a lot of frigate AB/scram(/web) stuff in FW, but I've been wanting to start flying MWD simply because it allows to potentially engage 1vMany in a less suicidal manner.

Having flown a bit now in a MWD crucifier I've gotten a few fights, but more often then not I feel it's very dangerous to go into a plex because that pretty much gives any opponent a free-pass to scram me. And I've had no luck with getting people to leave their plex to come get me on the outside.

So what do people do with MWD frigs to get their fights? Is it less dangerous to warp into an occupied plex then I think it is?

Have you tried opening a novice plex and sitting inside and waiting until someone comes in on you? For bonus points, do it in a hookbill.

So what do people do with MWD frigs to get their fights? Is it less dangerous to warp into an occupied plex then I think it is?
    You can frequently skate out of scram/web range on the warp in with an overheated MWD cycle, but you need to be very fast and/or your opponent needs to screw up.

Super Moderator Global Moderator QuackBot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Milton Middleson View Post

You can frequently skate out of scram/web range on the warp in with an overheated MWD cycle, but you need to be very fast and/or your opponent needs to screw up.
    Fast and the furious films do this for me.

HEY LOOK AT ME I HAVE A TITAN LordsServant's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Milton Middleson View Post

Fast and the furious films do this for me.
    I too, roleplay the fast and the furious music when I burn away from bads while preparing to ELITE PVP them down in my HONOUR boat.
    It's 2020. Get a grip.

Did just that today in a few hours of roaming. Worked out fine, only one in the 5 engagements where the potential target didn't cloak or warp away got a scram and/or web on me, but the overheated MWD was enough to coast me out of scram range at which point another cycle was enough to establish orbit and start plinking away at them.

I also got informed by one of my targets that kitting is for homosexuals and one isn't supposed to use MWD's in faction war since that is apparently not fair or something to that effect anyway. I must have not gotten the memo but he seemed upset about it. But then again, from the 7 engagements I had I was only able to secure the kill on 3 of them, 2 of which where actually TD'ing condors who where apparently dumbfounded to discover that there where more ships that could fit a MWD and that the crucifier in fact had drones. Cap problems unfortunately prevented me from killing all 7. Well that and I burned out my entire midrack against a merlin because I was being a dumb dumb. Fortunately the merlin took this unfortunate turn of events to flee away instead of simply killing me.

The whole MWD vs AB and who is set up first in a plex is probably the shittiest thing about FW as it's a pretty fucking stupid mechanic.

That said, I'm experimenting with Amarr ships that can fit a MWD and Scram and then be able to deal good damage anywhere within Scram range such as the Retribution or the Sader but those are still brawlers and maybe not what you're looking for.

Being able to MWD away on landing will work in most cases unless someone knows how to counter it, which is as easy as just spamming approach and overheat AB while you lock with your scram and web. You will usually get away from dumdums who sit at 0 and don't burn after you while locking though.

Quote Originally Posted by Tetsuo View Post
    The whole MWD vs AB and who is set up first in a plex is probably the shittiest thing about FW as it's a pretty fucking stupid mechanic.

That said, I'm experimenting with Amarr ships that can fit a MWD and Scram and then be able to deal good damage anywhere within Scram range such as the Retribution or the Sader but those are still brawlers and maybe not what you're looking for.
    The problem with the Retri and Sader is all it takes is only ab/scram/web frigate that tackles you to ruin your day (moreso if they have a TD, looking at you Slasher).

I generally only take fights in an MWD ship if I know my opponent is MWD fit as well...usually by sitting off the plex warp in and waiting for them to enter (or if it's more or less the only way it's fit, ie Slicer). Most of the frigate gangs I've seen in FW have a couple MWD tackle frigs with the rest of the blob in AB frigs, makes seperating mildly easy if you have a big enough headstart. Also, AB 2 mid frigates are somewhat fair game as it'd come down to your web countering their AB (granted, they can overheat for moar speed while you can't).

Oh, and if you want some easy kills in an MWD frig, bait in Siseide, if you see a Shirak Skunkworks Hookbill it's almost certain to be an mwd, MASB, linked LML fit.

And the comedy option: Dual web, pointless enyo's and harpies, shield daredevils, maintain tracking and blap shit before they realize they can leave.

Another option: Rocket boats don't give a shit about range: Dual prop or dual web hookbills (but who wants to fight a hookbill without plenty of friends and counter fits?), Hawks (again, who the fuck wants to fight that shit?).
    Last edited by Davion Falcon; January 31 2014 at 08:48:55 PM.
    "We need less dakka dakka!" -No one. Ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Davion Falcon View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tetsuo View Post

The problem with the Retri and Sader is all it takes is only ab/scram/web frigate that tackles you to ruin your day (moreso if they have a TD, looking at you Slasher).

I generally only take fights in an MWD ship if I know my opponent is MWD fit as well...usually by sitting off the plex warp in and waiting for them to enter (or if it's more or less the only way it's fit, ie Slicer). Most of the frigate gangs I've seen in FW have a couple MWD tackle frigs with the rest of the blob in AB frigs, makes seperating mildly easy if you have a big enough headstart. Also, AB 2 mid frigates are somewhat fair game as it'd come down to your web countering their AB (granted, they can overheat for moar speed while you can't).

Oh, and if you want some easy kills in an MWD frig, bait in Siseide, if you see a Shirak Skunkworks Hookbill it's almost certain to be an mwd, MASB, linked LML fit.

And the comedy option: Dual web, pointless enyo's and harpies, maintain tracking and blap shit before they realize they can leave.
    I'm still waiting to see about the MWD sader as even giving up the ability to dictate transversal or range it should still out track every single thing you engage against so I'm thinking it won't be an issue. Minmatar will out track you, but minmayar will also pack tds and neuts anyway so I probably wouldn't engage any minny frigs in that set up. We'll see though.

Have also tried a dual prop fire tail but the problem with the firetail I me is that you won't get a 1v1 in anything that won't stomp you, and it doesn't have enough gank to really split things up and brawl them down individually.

So I've basically found that the crucifier works. There are some cap problems, but at least on the fit I was using that can probably be worked out. Unfortunately what I ended up with wasn't really a good ship for 1vMany since the DPS is too low, and a incredibly boring 1v1 ship since most turret ships run AB in FW. I perhaps ironically ended up killing more condors then any other ship. Good thing I had those 2 TD's.

Anyway, went looking for something with a bit more DPS. I don't really want to take out faction or pirate frigs since people will simply avoid the fuck out of me. But with some looking at options I went and tried out a MWD punisher fit. Exactly because of the nice scorch range like you say, making scram-range control less of an issue. The stats looked pretty decent. Punisher is of course not known for being an awesome pvp boat so hopefully people will underestimate it, but with some theory crafting I got a 150 DPS @ 12km /0.253 tracking, with a 3.46k EHP tank (DC2 tank basically).
      Spoiler:
    [Punisher, mwd dps]

Damage Control II
    Heat Sink II
    Co-Processor II
    Tracking Enhancer II

Limited 1MN Microwarpdrive I
    Warp Scrambler II

Small Focused Pulse Laser II, Scorch S
    [Empty High slot]

Small Energy Collision Accelerator I
    Small Energy Burst Aerator I
    [Empty Rig slot]

Initial tests didn't go that great. Fucked up against a masb breacher. Could have taken it, but I misremembered my multifreq DPS range vs scroch. Thought I could still do enough DPS at 5km's. I lost by 1 or 2 cycles, scorch would have been like 30 more DPS at that range so I basically just fucked up. Second fight I got was against a slicer, landed right on top of him. Unfortunately is a FW special AB/400mm plate slicer. Wasn't even a contest.

I think there is some merit in the punisher, but need to find right target selection and not be such a dumb dumb.. I'll maybe end up ditching one of the dmg rigs for a trimark or something, just to get a little bit more buffer. But I want to keep DPS high to be able to burst trough ships quickly.

Other option is to just say "fuck it", and buy some comets. MWD, good tank, 200 DPS. But I dunno, with all the t1 frigs in faction war I would either end up with less fights then I already get or just feel like I'm clubbing baby seals all the time.

I've incidentally flown the firetail as well because some corpie did some roams with them. But I don't like them. The mids are nice but for a solo boat I have the same reservation as you do. It's a shiny faction boat with meh DPS. When I flew it solo I pretty much didn't get a single fight.

Also flown dual prop ranis. Solid boat as always, just works.

mwd rocket kestrel works reasonably well, gets full tackle, selectable damage type, more tank and more speed. Carry faction and rage rockets, but you only really need the faction rockets for linked ab frigs. Javelin is also nice for forcing condors to keep at edge of pointrange or die so its easy to escape them. Rocket malediction is also cool since you can kite people from 12k with heated scram.

[Kestrel, mwd rockets]
    Damage Control II
    Ballistic Control System II

Medium F-S9 Regolith Shield Induction
    J5b Phased Prototype Warp Scrambler I
    X5 Prototype Engine Enervator

Rocket Launcher II, Mjolnir Rage Rocket

Small Bay Loading Accelerator I
    Small Warhead Flare Catalyst I
    Small Anti-EM Screen Reinforcer I

Mjolnir Rage Rocket x600
    Mjolnir Javelin Rocket x400
    Scourge Rage Rocket x600
    Nova Rage Rocket x600
    Scourge Javelin Rocket x400

[Punisher, MWD]
    Damage Control II
    Small Armor Repairer II
    200mm Reinforced Steel Plates II
    Adaptive Nano Plating II

Warp Scrambler II

Dual Light Pulse Laser II, Imperial Navy Multifrequency S
    Small Diminishing Power System Drain I

Small Nanobot Accelerator I
    Small Auxiliary Nano Pump I

Perhaps?

[Tormentor, active MWD]

Damage Control II
    Small Ancillary Armor Repairer
    Heat Sink II
    200mm Reinforced Steel Plates II

X5 Prototype Engine Enervator
    J5b Phased Prototype Warp Scrambler I

Gatling Pulse Laser II, Imperial Navy Multifrequency S

Small Energy Collision Accelerator I
    Small Anti-Kinetic Pump I

Hobgoblin II x2

Flew this tonight, it works really well. 170 DPS with Multifreq, 143 DPS with Scorch. 4.5K EHP, if you get all your reps off (75.8 EHP/s active tank) it's about 7.5K EHP when your paste runs out. I think this might be what I want for a MWD brawler that can still fight AB frigates. Finished a couple fights in deep structure with all my shit nearly burnt out, so it's fun.

Will obviously die horribly to anything with a neut or a TD, so Minmatar frigs might be dicey.

Slicer is fun.

if you got a lot of time, you can also use the arty rifter The dps is very low, though it's very fun to fly.
    The Rapier is my love boat
    ~lowsec smallscale pvp 'n stuff~

Since it hasn't been mentioned, double web, no scram, MWD gank fit Comets and Enyos, as well as MSE + web fit Daredevils are amazing in FW. These ships can take on just about any frigate solo and without links with the right engagement, including many destroyers. The Daredevil and Comet can enter all complexes, and are incredibly fast. From my experience, not many players spot the lack of warp disruption in time to survive. Lastly, the DCU tank coupled with face melting, perfectly applying blaster DPS is enough to last through several targets consecutively. Check my lossmails or Zao Amadeus for the fittings, or hit me up IG.

Quote Originally Posted by SardCaid View Post
    Since it hasn't been mentioned, double web, no scram, MWD gank fit Comets and Enyos, as well as MSE + web fit Daredevils are amazing in FW. These ships can take on just about any frigate solo and without links with the right engagement, including many destroyers. The Daredevil and Comet can enter all complexes, and are incredibly fast. From my experience, not many players spot the lack of warp disruption in time to survive. Lastly, the DCU tank coupled with face melting, perfectly applying blaster DPS is enough to last through several targets consecutively. Check my lossmails or Zao Amadeus for the fittings, or hit me up IG.
    Yeah I've been flying a dual web no scram blaster ship for the past couple days that Davion gave me. So far it's won maybe 7-9ish engagements and not a single person has realized they could warp out in time. I think tons of DPS certainly helps as even if someone realizes they're in trouble it's usually going to be too late.

Quote Originally Posted by SardCaid View Post
    Why yes: http://failheap-challenge.com/showth...=1#post1013190

My bad for missing that part of your post, although it really isn't a comedy option. The best defense against it is expecting the fitting and being ready to mash warp, which a lot of players can mistime even when anticipating the fitting.

Super Moderator Global Moderator QuackBot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by roigon View Post
    I've done a lot of frigate AB/scram(/web) stuff in FW, but I've been wanting to start flying MWD simply because it allows to potentially engage 1vMany in a less suicidal manner.

Having flown a bit now in a MWD crucifier I've gotten a few fights, but more often then not I feel it's very dangerous to go into a plex because that pretty much gives any opponent a free-pass to scram me. And I've had no luck with getting people to leave their plex to come get me on the outside.

Yeah, i would go double lse/web.

Addendum: Not frigates, but T1 fit T1 destroyers. So far I've found the thrasher works best for it, happily welping them into FW frigate gangs hoping to win the isk war (and actually undock my cheap, lazy ass).

Ghetto fit rail cormorants are good fun too. So many bad slicer pilots out there you can murder on the approach.