hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 2 of 57 FirstFirst 123451252 ... LastLast

Thread: Naval Action

Quote Originally Posted by RazoR View Post
    So i'm not pumped enough to read through poorly translated devblogs and reading russian ones is beneath me. Is there some mechanic planned to design or at least refit a ship?
    Because sailing only those that existed would get boring pretty fast and also deprave of vast meta possibilities.
    Yes. Have seen mention of choosing sail/rigging set ups as well as the stuff you'd normally expect like bigger guns, more protection, ship officers, higher quality sails etc.

I fired up PotBS the other day after its relaunch. It hasn't changed at all, still gets boring after a while and the end game is dull as fuck. Spent the whole time lamenting that no one ever had the balls to make a proper hi fidelity tall ships game, so typically I'm excited and cynical in equal measure.

Quote Originally Posted by Jurskjeld View Post
    Looking at the forums really made me wary. So few game elements are anywhere near cemented, and the developers seem to have no actual clue about how to make a game rich with progression or how to strike a balance between pubber amateurs and other players and their opinions. If you start out with a theme and just add gameplay depending on input from the loudest voices I'm fairly certain things will go to shit. If I had the motivation for it, and thought others would agree and pull weight, I might have aired the idea that us the fhcers ought to advance some form of own design where they are still asking for input. But that sounds suspiciously much like effort.

edit: But I'd do it.

@ spank
    Hello!
    The loudest voice on the project is of a producer and historical consultants. We have all seen an episode about a car designed by Homer - that's not going to happen.
    But nevertheless, we listen to players and actively involve community in the development. And plan to continue doing so.
    While I am here - delighted to answer any questions you guys might have about our project.

ps
    So i'm not pumped enough to read through poorly translated devblogs and reading russian ones is beneath me. Is there some mechanic planned to design or at least refit a ship?
    Because sailing only those that existed would get boring pretty fast and also deprave of vast meta possibilities.
    Would love to hear which devblog was poorly translated - will correct it before we get more PR attention
    Last edited by navalaction; January 25 2014 at 04:29:01 PM.

Haha I love this.
    There is the general question about how one can progress through the game. Or, how the makers think that the player will be entertained for hours. The skeleton of gameplay does not seem to be out in the open yet, so I'd like to know what basic elements there are that makes the game offer risks, rewards and how progression takes form (skill, skill of crew, ship, equipment).

The text book of seamanship is a nice source for a lot of instructions on how to deal with the odd calamity. But how great is the risk to the actual player in eg gale seas? Would lack of attention to sails cause some to split? Weather was a central element to mastery of the seas, but most games will just give you combat and say "master that". A semi-realistic naval game could instead offer the player entertainment through mastery of the weather. For, say, Cherbourg to Calais in X weather to be one affair in a full rigger, and another in a galleas. Most games urge you to use a vessel for, say, combat to gain XP and thus unlock more ships. Instead of such a simplistic model, you can let combat count towards certain attributes, but leave ship progression to other and less arbitrary factors. Such as raw skill. A game model that introduces the full range of weather to a small starting ship (smaller sloop etc) would leave the player in charge of mastering the use of sails and other ship necessities before turning to larger rigs - the player simply choosing to, because a larger rig would be more daunting and demand attention to more things.

This isn't entirely unlike how EVE has done it - the ship progression there is arbitrarily delayed by skills that anyone can get. Since there is a wealth of gameplay (missions etc) available to those smaller ships, the player is incentivized to stay in the ship and learn its and its modules' use. Also because the next ship will cost money, as will modules and skills. Thus people have time to appreciate the mastery of a certain ship/class before venturing on to the next, but the grind is quite voluntary once money is out of the way.

The real balance from a gameplay point of view is to ensure a full rigger isn't necessarily a micromanaging hell, and indeed the captain would be able to rely on a bosun or someone taking charge of certain things when for instance coming about. I don't know how to solve this exactly. One way would be to use rig profiles, essentially loadouts that you swap when going about or similar. Then you can have a default and generic loadout from the get-go, and you can add or overwrite these with your own through simple mouseclicks and saves. Reducing sail due to winds could be a separate setting.

Or, just, wasd. In which case meh.
    Quote Originally Posted by Don
    ^robsably aboujt to throw up so goood night failheap IU love you all even you ctrlchris even iuf you keep bnegrrepping me for no reason

Quote Originally Posted by navalaction View Post
    Would love to hear which devblog was poorly translated - will correct it before we get more PR attention
    Was just an assumption

Skimped through five of them, looks fine.

rig profiles, essentially loadouts that you swap when going about or similar. Then you can have a default and generic loadout from the get-go, and you can add or overwrite these with your own through simple mouseclicks and saves. Reducing sail due to winds could be a separate setting.

This to me is what will set this apart from your typical WASD & Space-To-Fire pirates game. Tweak mast/rigging set up whilst in port, and have sail/rig profiles for various situations. Imagine sail/rigging setups as needing the equivalent of an Eve Fitting Tool to get right with the associated discussion on fittings. Casual players can use default settings or import cookie cutter fits, expert players can tweak to min/max as much as they like.

Quote Originally Posted by friznit View Post
    expert players

rig profiles, essentially loadouts that you swap when going about or similar. Then you can have a default and generic loadout from the get-go, and you can add or overwrite these with your own through simple mouseclicks and saves. Reducing sail due to winds could be a separate setting.

This to me is what will set this apart from your typical WASD & Space-To-Fire pirates game. Tweak mast/rigging set up whilst in port, and have sail/rig profiles for various situations. Imagine sail/rigging setups as needing the equivalent of an Eve Fitting Tool to get right with the associated discussion on fittings. Casual players can use default settings or import cookie cutter fits, expert players can tweak to min/max as much as they like.
    Broken spar? Shot hit the mast? Then fit from a selection of spares. Reduced performance while the carpenters work on fitting it all. Perhaps water, proviant, ammunition and timber are the things that a ship will need to replenish: Water and proviant reduce at a certain rate (but will we ever cross the Atlantic? Will we ever dread a lack of wind? Water is resupplied slowly in rainy weather), ammunition naturally (but perhaps also through the odd bout of training to hone broadsides), timber after repairs are needed. Little ability to remain at sea effectively camping if you run out of timber.
    Add the odd unfortunate injury due to falling/drowning/hitting X/gunfire accidents, and I feel I'd be content.
    Quote Originally Posted by Don
    ^robsably aboujt to throw up so goood night failheap IU love you all even you ctrlchris even iuf you keep bnegrrepping me for no reason

could this be like pirates of the burning anus but not shit?

Hopefully nothing even close to Pirates

Movember '11 Best Facial Hair, Best 'Tache Movember 2011Movember 2012Donor helgur's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by evil edna View Post
    could this be like pirates of the burning anus but not shit?
    Dear god please no

Banned
    Only one here to predict a win for God Emperor
    Glad I wasn't the only non-dyslexic that read it as 'navel'.
    Are you an engineer? -- Quack

expert players
    [IMG]http://cs308818.vk.me/v308818365/b81/xfFdBJ3059w.jpg[IMG]
    Ahhhh, I see your game.

Dis going to be good.

Poland treats me like shit and I hate them as a result of it

I hate boats but I am interested. There used to be a similar game with solo play only that a friend of mine had in the early 2000's yet I cant remember the name.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Baarhyn View Post
    I hate boats but I am interested. There used to be a similar game with solo play only that a friend of mine had in the early 2000's yet I cant remember the name.

Sea Dogs?

Quote Originally Posted by Baarhyn View Post

Sea Dogs?
    Dont think that was the one. It was more simulator-y.

Probably Age of Sail.

Quote Originally Posted by alcibiades View Post
    Probably Age of Sail.
    Blob warfare and overloaded interface... reminds me of some other game.

Probably Age of Sail.
    Blob warfare and overloaded interface... reminds me of some other game.

Probably Age of Sail.
    Yeah thats it. I remember being terrible at it lol

It was ok....graphics were pretty for the time. I preferred the first Age of Sail, had an 'RPG' aspect....looks like absolute shit now, though.

that's already in game in a simplified form (but good enough for alpha version for further improvement).
    also implemented is simplified yard turning and trimming that provides additional help in maneuver or can improve your heel angle when you need it
    and you will need to change heel without furling because in our game you actually aim your cannons and heel affects angle and distance.

But wasd is in the game. It's a standard now for action games - we will leave point and click for diablo 3.