hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Banner Saga - We have cartoon vikings!

Banner Saga - We have cartoon vikings!

http://stoicstudio.com/

it was released on steam earlier in the week and started life on kickstarter, i haven't played it yet but it's a turn based tactics type game with a fair bit of RPG, over at RPS the reviewer wrote it was a bit samey in the long run but looks pants-droppingly-awesome, and to be fair, what games are not ?

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014...e-banner-saga/

looking forward to playing it in the weekend.
    Viking, n.:
    1. Daring Scandinavian seafarers, explorers, adventurers, entrepreneurs world-famous for their aggressive, nautical import business, highly leveraged takeovers and blue eyes.
    2. Bloodthirsty sea pirates who ravaged northern Europe beginning in the 9th century.

Hagar's note: The first definition is much preferred; the second is used only by malcontents, the envious, and disgruntled owners of waterfront property.

So it's not the same as this thing then?
    http://failheap-challenge.com/showth...ht=Banner+Saga

I downloaded it expecting an rpg adventure. Instead I got some pvp arena thing. never touched it again.

Factions is the Multiplayer component released seperately, this one is the Single player componet (dunno if it includes the MP), but god dammit, i searched for banner saga in this forum and got nothing!
    Viking, n.:
    1. Daring Scandinavian seafarers, explorers, adventurers, entrepreneurs world-famous for their aggressive, nautical import business, highly leveraged takeovers and blue eyes.
    2. Bloodthirsty sea pirates who ravaged northern Europe beginning in the 9th century.

Hagar's note: The first definition is much preferred; the second is used only by malcontents, the envious, and disgruntled owners of waterfront property.

Got it, there isn't much variantion in combat no. Visuals are very very nice, and the world immersion as well. Between combats you get to choose a lot of stuff and the team of heroes changes constantly because of choices you make. Lost 3 of my best dudes so far because of poorly done conversations/events outside combat. No manual save so beware of the rage when you do lose a dude. Overall pretty satisfied but can see it becomming a bit of a drag without any different opponents.

ooh. then it sounds much more interesting.

I love tactics / turn based / strategic j-rpg games and the combat in this has promise. I'm only early on in playing it but it's remarkably slow paced in the story-telling side of things.

I'm assuming once it's spewed it's backstory the engagements will take more of a front row seat, if so this should be a solid game.
      Spoiler:

(ಠ_ృ) ゛Lady Spank is the best。゛ ~ Xenuria (ಠ_ృ)

Just started playing. Great game so far. Love the art style and graphics. Looks so old-school and so polished in the same time. I would play only for that but then again, so far gameplay is very good too.

I've finished it yesterday, it's great. The story and atmosphere reminded me heavily of Myth series, which is a very, very good thing. As this is planned as a trilogy, I'm looking forward to the next one

Quote Originally Posted by Venec View Post
    I've finished it yesterday, it's great. The story and atmosphere reminded me heavily of Myth series, which is a very, very good thing. As this is planned as a trilogy, I'm looking forward to the next one
    worth spunking some cash on then?

Quote Originally Posted by Raxxman View Post
    Definitely, well worth the price.

Quote Originally Posted by Raxxman View Post
    Definitely, well worth the price.
    I can definitely agree!
    I've bought it, played it over the weekend: and it took me like 10 hours.

Music, scenery and how the scale is shown... it is simply great.
    Story is really epic, end scene is beautiful.

I felt the end is a bit rushed, and a bit too many Deux ex machina moments, and I would have enjoyed a farewell talk with the characters.
    I am going to replay Banner Saga in a couple of months and definitely buy the next game.

One day, I will use the story for an rpg game.

Every since after chapter 5 I got HUGE problems with lack of resources. Renown and not being able to promote my man when I have a shitload of items laying around is not the biggest problem. Supplies are. I did not rested once I thin in last 30 days at least and fuck, always starving... How do you do that?

Spoiler:
    Starving does not matter, it only costs morale and manpower, but there are no more battles in ch5 and its all roadside events depriving your of supplies. tbh, i went without supplies for the rest of the game. Only reason to spend renown on supplies would be emotional attachment.

Its something that will be addressed in comming patch(es). Stoic forums are full of comments about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Torashuu View Post
      Spoiler:
    Starving does not matter, it only costs morale and manpower, but there are no more battles in ch5 and its all roadside events depriving your of supplies. tbh, i went without supplies for the rest of the game. Only reason to spend renown on supplies would be emotional attachment.

Its something that will be addressed in comming patch(es). Stoic forums are full of comments about it.
    To tell you the truth. I think the frustration is part of the experience and I would change it.

Spoiler:
    In ch5, after days going without supplies you come across an encounter where some random clansmen are running away with another community's food. The other community's fighters want to get it back and they offer you a cart loaded with supplies, if you let them do the right thing. You either take a cart or you take all and let unknown others suffer. Which do you choose?

It is a frustrating moment as I had to bend my moral values and took all carts.

If there are no golden road / play through, where you caravan can slip out without taking serious damage.

Yeah, learned that the hard way. About the later story:

Spoiler:
    But I have gathered so much renown and resources with my Varl group that after we met I had plenty. Enough to get all guys to 5 with great items. And yes, I spent far too much Renown to get supplies, didn't know I could just starve and be happy. Anyway, fights were challenging but still easily doable. Now, the final boss I presume lays ahead ;]
    Got: hakon, gunnulf, rook, eywind, oddleif and alette. And lvl 5 Mogr waiting ig anything happens and I have a strange feeling that Alette is going to die instantly as I let her shoot the arrow. But we will see.

I had spread my renown around far to much, ended up with most folks at level 4 and no renown to get them to 5. Only got Rook and Alette to 5. Final fight was epic,
      Spoiler:
    as last one standing was Rook for the final blow 1 turn from oblivion.

played this, seemed a bit short for the price. Devs mentioned they have to see how well this sells before committing to parts 2 and 3. Felt that means it's more than a bit possible that parts 2 and 3 might not be forthcoming.

Now generally I am opposed to capital punishment, but some people really need to be taken out back and removed from the gene pool.

*shrug* we live in a world where you're rewarded for behaving like a complete fuckwad, so it's no surprise people do it.

it's not going to stick tbh.
    Viking, n.: