hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 352 of 384 FirstFirst ... 252302342349350351352353354355362 ... LastLast
Results 7,021 to 7,040 of 7667

Thread: Movie Thread - we have La La Landed on the Moon

Quote Originally Posted by untilted View Post
    dies irae now being the inception BWAAAHHHH
    c/d?
    C, but I prefer not to complain, since that might lead to a return to Carmina Burana.

Specially Pegged Donor Overspark's Avatar
    Finally saw Arrival together with Indi. Holy shit, we're both incredibly impressed. Can't remember the last movie I saw that was this carefully crafted, with everything falling into place at the right time, while at the same time giving me no idea what's going to happen next for large portions of the movie.

We've just had a field day reading reviews about it, and seeing how at least half the reviewers have totally missed what the movie is about, and trying to read all kinds of things into it that are peripheral at best.

Quote Originally Posted by Overspark View Post
    totally missed what the movie is about
    do tell

Quote Originally Posted by RazoR View Post
    do tell
    All kinds of weird rants about it being about how the media reports things (probably based on that one comment in the beginning when she's on the phone with her mother), how the government can't be trusted with these kind of things, etc etc. Look some up for yourself if you want a laugh.

do tell
    All kinds of weird rants about it being about how the media reports things (probably based on that one comment in the beginning when she's on the phone with her mother), how the government can't be trusted with these kind of things, etc etc. Look some up for yourself if you want a laugh.
    I was more interested in what the movie is actually about

do tell
    I was more interested in what the movie is actually about
    Oh. Well I can't answer that without massive spoilers. That said, the soppy answer I can give is that it's mostly about cooperation. Villeneuve also likes to explore boundaries of police/military/government jurisdiction in his movies, although it's a lot less pronounced in this one than in his previous movies. There's also a small but important sub-plot about consequences of choices, and being able to live with them.

Best movie commercials ever

Dirk's rapid fire reviews of some movies currently on Hulu I've watched in the last couple weeks. Some old, some new, some with names you know, and some you probably don't. I'm killing time somewhere and this post is the result. In no real order:

Stephen King's 'Graveyard Shift':
    some novelty value from the presence of Brad Dourif as a pest exterminating Nam vet and a guy (Stephen Macht) who looks like Fred Ward from Tremors but speaks with an accent I've never heard from a real person. Not really worth the time it takes to watch unless you happen to like the lesser-known, lower-budget King movies.

Stephen King's 'Silver Bullet':
    every line without exception that Gary Busey says in this movie is probably something he's said in a real-world conversation. Totally including the werewolf stuff. Worth a watch for that fact alone. Spoiler alert: Busey gets bitten by a werewolf near the end of the movie but the damn thing doesn't even vaguely hint at the possibility he might then become one himself. Lame. This movie came out a year before 'Stand by Me' and has a similar style of narration (a character involved in the events bittersweetly recounting things years later.) Also there's a guy I would have sworn up and down was Jim Belushi until the credits rolled.

The Last Winter:
    in 2006, halfway between starring in Hellboy and the debut of Sons of Anarchy, Ron Perlman was in this obscure effort. The film isn't offensive to the viewer, but is still mediocre all around and not really worth your time IMO.

The Voices:
    now we're getting somewhere. In the Hulu movies menu this one is listed under several genres including comedy, which is inappropriate. Starring Ryan Reynolds, Gemma Arterton, and everyone's favorite girl next door Anna Kendrick, and directed by Marjani Satrapi of all people. Whatever levity exists is only to form a deliberate contrast with the hopelessness and doom in the remaining scenes. This movie is "good" in the way that the movie 'Super' is "good". You won't enjoy the experience, but it still makes you feel like it was worth it when it's over.

Avenged:
    sort of like 'I Spit on your Grave' crossed with a Sci Fi Channel movie I think I remember that had like the exact same plot as 'Avenged', 'Avenged' is a supernatural revenge film. If you're into the genre, go for it, and if not then don't. Sexual violence usually keeps me at arm's length from a movie, although in this case it obviously kicks off the revenge plot, it isn't very explicit, and it occupies minimal screentime. As the vengeful character's powers grow in inverse proportion to the physical decay of her body, I feel like there was probably room to embrace a couple of superhero movie tropes and turn them on their head, maybe allowing the movie to stand out in its genre budget limitations aside. Unfortunately it didn't really do that. Competently made all things considered, but nothing special.

The Deaths of Ian Stone:
    pretty cool despite the low budget being on display as the CG effects increase in the second half. Supernatural thriller with a couple good scares and I guess a decent twist or two. The inexplicable occurences in the first half are answered by what to me was a bit of a letdown of a resolution.

-----
    and finally
    -----

Devil's Pass:
    tldr; found-footage movie that's actually pretty decent. I don't even like found-footage movies.

Now for the rant...
    disrespectful treatment of the dead seems to be standard in American tellings of the Dyatlov Pass tragedy. The ravages of an uncaring natural world and random misfortune in an age before weather satellites always takes a back seat to conspiracy-mongering and the utter abandonment of Occam's Razor. The Ancient Aliens episode on the matter was easily the worst offering of that series I've had the masochism to watch, as it took a running leap across the boundary that separates the frustrating from the infuriating.
    This movie keeps within the boundaries of the merely frustrating and mildly distasteful (apparently it's also a joint American/British/Russian effort so any guilt regarding myth-propogation is shared this time around), although all the familiar conspiracies about the event are presented (with a bonus helping of Philadelphia Experiment nonsense mixed in), and of course the infamous "unknown compelling force" reference is as always used outside historical context. In the movie's defense, the familiar conspiracies surrounding the event are only referenced, and turn out not to be true even in the movie's own context (another conspiracy does), or are eventually explained by more rational means.

So... all that's out of the way. Regardless of whether or not you find the usual treatment of the underlying event distasteful on a personal level (I think I do because of my own experiences with subzero [fahrenheit] camping), this movie really starts to take you for a ride toward the end that, while deliberately confusing initially, resolves in a way that you'll feel like you should have seen coming but didn't.

-----

You read all of my post because you are all my bitches and you will take what I offer as it is not optional.

Bored. Watching Alakazam the Great. Surprised to see bits of it would be referenced in The Sword in the Stone & Return of the Jedi, not to mention a song by Thurl Ravenscroft.

Saw John Wick Chapter 2. Was good.

Watched Kraftidioten with my dad (subtitled because we are pretentious twats etc). Was amazing, never change nords.

Also requesting a literal translation of the title. Basically "noob"?

Watched Kraftidioten with my dad (subtitled because we are pretentious twats etc). Was amazing, never change nords.

Also requesting a literal translation of the title. Basically "noob"?
    "Power idiot" or "strong idiot" is the literal translation but "The Dumbfuck" seems to fit rather well.

I thought Predators 2010 was a good start towards making new Predator films , but I guess it didn't gross enough so now they're trying a reboot.
    The inclusion of Munn and that kid killed it for me. Old and new Predator cast.

Movember '11 Ginger Excellence Movember 2011Movember 2012 sarabando's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Candy Crush View Post
    I thought Predators 2010 was a good start towards making new Predator films , but I guess it didn't gross enough so now they're trying a reboot.

so how do you think munn and the one white guy are going to kill it ? because its obvious they are going to survive. with the kid.

Quote Originally Posted by Candy Crush View Post

Nice QVGA picture faggot

just saw the great wall. Want to erase all memory of Irish Matt Damon from my brain. Can I have my 2 hours back?
    Quote Originally Posted by Virtuozzo
    The evolution of the meme. From shipspinning to meatspinning.

Quote Originally Posted by Lorkin Desal View Post
    just saw the great wall. Want to erase all memory of Irish Matt Damon from my brain. Can I have my 2 hours back?
    It was spectacularly awful

what do you mean irish matt damon

Quote Originally Posted by Duckslayer View Post
    I should be home.now but I keep stopping to post. I'm in need of a mega poo. so much so that I'm tempted to leave slurry across one of these gardens and deal with the wiping later. gonna toss a coin

phoneposting

Indonesian brutal and bloody action movie with all our favourite RAID stars

Будь смиренным, будь кротким, не заботься о тленном
    Власти, данной Богом, сынок, будь навеки верным...
    Я люблю Росcию, я - патриот