hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 493 of 521 FirstFirst ... 393443483490491492493494495496503 ... LastLast
Results 9,841 to 9,860 of 10409

Thread: Movie Thread - Cullnerd - MOON is art

Super Baderator DonorGlobal Moderator cullnean's Avatar
    The tower of power, too sweet to be sour, ohhhh yeahh!
    Quote Originally Posted by Approaching Walrus View Post
    2.5 hours
    part 1 of 6
    Don't you understand?

How can we carry on with out people telling us what to think of a thing with out a video series longer than the thing itself.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Elriche Oshego View Post
    Cullneshi the god of shitposting.
    Quote Originally Posted by RazoR View Post
    anything soviet is of evil

Quote Originally Posted by cullnean View Post
    2.5 hours
    part 1 of 6
    Don't you understand?

How can we carry on with out people telling us what to think of a thing with out a video series longer than the thing itself.

That's actually an argument debunked in the above essay. You can't offer as an argument that arguments need to be shorter than the actual thing commented upon. Even one liners can yield hours of discussion because of the writing that led to those exact moments.

The dude is fantastic in making objective as well as subjective observations and points, and differentiating well between them. He has an 8 hour total series on Dark Souls II, for example.

BTW, it's daft to say it's "telling you what to think", it's a critique. I suppose you didn't have to go through doing a critique of The Grapes of Wrath in English class? I did. I know it's soul crushing, but this guy knows how to do it properly.

I just left it in the background whilst I'm doing some braindead paperwork, it's p. good.
    Guns make the news, science doesn't.

It's like poetry, it rhymes.

SEE WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU LEAVE WAKANDA???

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by cullnean View Post
    2.5 hours
    part 1 of 6
    Don't you understand?

That's actually an argument debunked in the above essay. You can't offer as an argument that arguments need to be shorter than the actual thing commented upon. Even one liners can yield hours of discussion because of the writing that led to those exact moments.

The dude is fantastic in making objective as well as subjective observations and points, and differentiating well between them. He has an 8 hour total series on Dark Souls II, for example.

BTW, it's daft to say it's "telling you what to think", it's a critique. I suppose you didn't have to go through doing a critique of The Grapes of Wrath in English class? I did. I know it's soul crushing, but this guy knows how to do it properly.

I just left it in the background whilst I'm doing some braindead paperwork, it's p. good.
    Just the sheer fact you seem to think critique of an entertainment piece can be objective in any significant way makes me ignore it completely.

Also there is only one long form "review" of star wars that ever should be watched and it is:
    Last edited by Isyel; December 30 2018 at 08:44:08 PM.

All the "5 hour BvS nerdrage" or similar videos are a direct attempt of a cashgrab on that one tho. Only hardly anyone has been able to deliver the entertainment value, while the RLM crew has moved on to delivering actually good chill content.

At least CinemaSins is brief and to the point.

Quote Originally Posted by Isyel View Post
    Just the sheer fact you seem to think critique of an entertainment piece can be objective in any significant way makes me ignore it completely.
    There are objective qualities to anything, there is good writing and there is bad writing, there is continuity and lack of it and so on.

I find it amazing that people get so defensive about the stuff they like. Pointing out plot holes and bad writing is not invalidating liking the piece. There are mostly imperfect works out there, but that doesn't mean you are not allowed to like them or that it makes you a dumb person or anything similar.

FFS, he makes these points in his video. But I suppose 2h is too much for the ADHD generation - I kid, I kid

Movies are art, yes, but there is a structured approach to making a movie and there are things that can be objectively assessed - world building, character progression, continuity, etc. People go to school to learn these things, remember.

I find this interesting, it's a thing I've encountered whilst I was trying to improve my photography. People think that it's all in the camera (or the special effects), that it's easy to take good photographs (or write movies) and that you shouldn't really be compensated for the use of your stuff because you gain "exposure". Look, everything is easy when you look at it from afar. However, nothing done properly is really ever easy. You can always improve in anything and the sky really is the limit.

That's why I like to watch these pieces. I know I'm an amateur when it comes to visual arts, but I want to improve and learn more. So I gather opinions from everywhere I can. I didn't know why I liked certain movies/photographs and I wanted to know why. Same for the opposite. I now know there's a technical aspect to it - objectively quantifiable! - and there's an "artsy" aspect to it -> which is inherently subjective. You can never comment on the latter, but you can (and should) comment on the former - because this is what makes you grow and evolve - as a person, as an (amateur) artist (hey, we all doodle from time to time, neh?).

Being bitter sandy mode is acceptable too, of course. There's so much content out there it's really hard to get a grip on. But when somebody goes into this much detail (I've watched his Dark Souls II series) and can make objective statements on stuff, I tend to give them a bit of attention

Quote Originally Posted by Lilalaunebör View Post
    CinemaSins has really loose standards at times. They don't really have consistency and I really think they should be regarded as entertainment rather than something educational. Much like Top Gear is more of an entertainment show rather than a car show. Well, used to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilalaunebör View Post
    CinemaSins has really loose standards at times. They don't really have consistency and I really think they should be regarded as entertainment rather than something educational. Much like Top Gear is more of an entertainment show rather than a car show. Well, used to be.

Cinemasins is literally a comedy channel for the laughs, they have never been reviewers of any sort.

M8 seriously...

Also your post above is bad and you should feel bad. Nobody here is defensive and yelling adhd kids at people who don't want to listen to a derivative twat wanking over YouTube with his opinion is fucking stupid. Basically you're trying to be an elitist with a goddamn overly long asinine youtube review video.
    Last edited by Isyel; December 31 2018 at 12:53:15 PM.

is defensive and yelling
    Pretty much your year.
    Please don't teach me what to do with my pc.

Quote Originally Posted by Itiken View Post
    is defensive and yelling
    Pretty much your year.
    Not my fault you are dumb cunts M8.

Happy new year, maybe you become less trash.

First of January at approx 15:00 every year for the last 37 years. (a million or so viewers each time).....

Not exactly a trailer, but is that one of those so bad it is good things?
    "Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered, those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid. Thus the wise win before they fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Zhuge Liang

If you're into Docs and Orson Welles work watch it asap.
    Last edited by Elriche Oshego; January 1 2019 at 11:09:39 PM.

Pleb spotted.

Thrilling

2.5 hours
    part 1 of 6
    To put it in perspective you could do pretty much all of David Harvey's lectures on capital volume 1 in the same amount of time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Mason
    It is absurd that we are capable of witnessing a 40,000 year old system of gender oppression begin to dissolve before our eyes yet still see the abolition of a 200 year old economic system as an unrealistic utopia.

If the other episodes are as long, you could just about watch all the Star Wars films (excluding the standalone ones) in the same time. Or watch Shoah & The Sorrow & The Pity if you want to make a party out of it.

New Year, which means watching the films I didn't go to the cinema to see last year - which is all of them.

Finally saw Avengers Infinity War Pt. 1

Not bad. I wouldn't call it great cinema, but it's a ton of fun seeing all your favorite comic book people in one film.

Now, just get the X-Men and the rest back under one roof, and good times shall be had.