hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 462 of 478 FirstFirst ... 362412452459460461462463464465472 ... LastLast
Results 9,221 to 9,240 of 9546

Thread: Movie Thread - Cullnerd - MOON is art

Quote Originally Posted by Alistair View Post
    Saw Solo.

Ham-handed. Corney. Main actor not really a fit (although better than I was led to expect).

Not fully shit, but not great. Maybe "meh, ok, good". I didn't regret the time/money investment at least.

Wife hated it.

Star Wars has definitely reached "films are no longer special events" status.
    I reached that status after watching The Last Jedi. They should've named it The Last Star Wars Movie You Will Ever See In Movie Theaters.

Quote Originally Posted by Winged Nazgul View Post
    I reached that status after watching The Last Jedi. They should've named it The Last Star Wars Movie You Will Ever See In Movie Theaters.
    I reached that status after the Force Awakens. I never even saw the Last Jedi, and I waited for Rogue One to be on Netflix.

In before someone says "I reached that status after A New Hope".

No but seriously, these films along with all the Marvel stuff is fine for Netflix but nothing I would go to a theatre for.

Nobody cares Frug, we know you hate everything. But I don't! I'm just saying.
    Last edited by Frug; June 3 2018 at 11:41:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Loire
    I'm too stupid to say anything that deserves being in your magnificent signature.

You do though.

That said that post was reasonable.

More turbo-lightspeed neoliberal platitudes/virtue signaling/misplaced priorities on full display.

It's now just a popcorn flix franchise, along with all the comic stuff which has been churned out over the past few years.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Mason
    It is absurd that we are capable of witnessing a 40,000 year old system of gender oppression begin to dissolve before our eyes yet still see the abolition of a 200 year old economic system as an unrealistic utopia.

More turbo-lightspeed neoliberal platitudes/virtue signaling/misplaced priorities on full display.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    It's now just a popcorn flix franchise, along with all the comic stuff which has been churned out over the past few years.
    ...was it ever not?

I think you guys might be nostalgia goggling hard over the original series

It's always been a space western, it's just shifting a bit more towards being a space superhero franchise.

They were released rarely enough that going to see a starwars movie was exciting and had some novelty. They definitely felt less mass produced.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Mason
    It is absurd that we are capable of witnessing a 40,000 year old system of gender oppression begin to dissolve before our eyes yet still see the abolition of a 200 year old economic system as an unrealistic utopia.

They were released rarely enough that going to see a starwars movie was exciting and had some novelty. They definitely felt less mass produced.
    original triology was every 3 years as was the prequel series

new one is every 2 or so, I wouldn't be surprised if they have a longer gap for the 3rd but idk

Aye Keck, agreed.

Disney/Marvel/Lucasfilm have saturated the market with product.

Seems to be working for them from a financial standpoint, since even Solo will make more than enough to help the corporate bottom line.

But at least IMO the product has greatly suffered. I know the Marvel films get a ton of love, but even they're really rather shoddy films by and large.

I think for Star Wars, the clear difference between the orig. trilogy and the product now is just that: the orginal films felt like labors of love by a guy/guys with the right mix of chops, vision and loving look-back to the Flash Gordon/50's Adventure era. The new ones are product.

Nowadays, a Star Wars film feels like a rather soulless mass-produced product, designed by a committee of corporate execs to maximize this metric or that, requiring a maximum "morally grey, no good or evil" viewpoint, while maximizing overall annual profit (even at the expense of individual film profit, 2 films a year making 200 mil > 1 film every other year making 380 mil).

You don't feel a love of the genre, the canon or anything else in these modern films. Even the many (too many) throwback easter eggs shit feels driven more by a cynical calculated effort than any true love of the old films or characters.

JMO of course.

Strong nostalgia goggling scenes

I imagine if you got off the internet, there'd be a lot less Star Wars in your life.

Honestly, i don't think Star Wars has gotten worse, I think other SciFi/Action offerings have gotten better

Quote Originally Posted by XenosisMk4 View Post
    Honestly, i don't think Star Wars has gotten worse, I think other SciFi/Action offerings have gotten better
    SW also, just not as much.

Maybe. But there's always been more Star Wars media out there than just the main films, so Disney is hardly milking it harder than Lucas did (8 seasons of Clone Wars cartoons, for example). The difference as I see it is that the internet will not stfu about Star Wars (& Disney's marketing division is all too happy to encourage us to keep talking), so it feels like there's more because it's near impossible to take a prolonged break from it if you also want to follow/engage in pop-culture discourse.

Idk why anyone would want to follow internet pop culture discourse tbf

You're doing it now

I thought we agreed it's impossible to show the obvious to xeno

Quote Originally Posted by Lancehot View Post
    You're doing it now
    you can't prove that

You're doing it now
    you can't prove that
    This is proof.

Quote Originally Posted by Isyel View Post
    You're doing it now
    you can't prove that
    This is proof.
    citation needed