hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 516 of 538 FirstFirst ... 16416466506513514515516517518519526 ... LastLast
Results 10,301 to 10,320 of 10750

Thread: Movie Thread - Cullnerd - Ad Astra is moon

Super Baderator DonorGlobal Moderator cullnean's Avatar
    The tower of power, too sweet to be sour, ohhhh yeahh!
    Just saw it

Chonky boy best boy

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Elriche Oshego View Post
    Cullneshi the god of shitposting.
    Quote Originally Posted by RazoR View Post
    anything soviet is of evil

It was dumb fun. Lots of groan-worthy technobabble (the Deepak Chopra platitude generator makes more sense talking about quantum mechanics), pretty good action sequences, the usual "let the villain monologue and prepare before you fight him", and the best part is they killed off my least favorite character. Of course it's a Marvel movie, so anyone can come back later. Some great bits in the final battle. Thanos is still so stupid it's surprising he remembers to breathe, and somehow the heroes manage to very nearly out-stupid him at points, which creates some unintentional comic relief.

If Thanos weren't a moron the first thing he'd do with the stones is use them to make himself smart enough to know the best way to use the stones to solve his problem. Instead he's the Dunning-Kruger effect incarnate.

My biggest issue with MCU movies in general is trying to keep track of all the characters. You've got generic pretty Hollywood woman 1-70, generic handsome Hollywood guy 1-90, and they all have 2 names and most were last seen years ago in some side movie, yet we're expected to instantly recognize them. Some are easy (it's hard to mistake Hulk for anyone else) and the in-costume side is simple, but I tend to get lost trying to keep track of the non-hero identities.

Otoh thanos lands nice punches so it's all good.

Still hoping for the day we get a Thanos where he's committing galactic genocide to impress a woman he likes rather than because he's a neo-Malthusian. The "was Thanos right?" articles would be a laugh to read, at least.

I think the "Thanos is wiping out half the universe because he wants to get with Mistress Death" storyline would be a pretty hard sell to moviegoers.

I enjoyed it - it's heavily fanservicey, but that's okay, and the arcs that needed to end did so with, in the most part, aplomb. A couple of mis-steps along the way but I'll forgive those. As a standalone movie? 7 out of 10. As the culmination of a 12 year story arc? 9 out of 10.
    'I'm pro life. I'm a non-smoker. I'm a pro-life non-smoker. WOO, Let the party begin!'

Just got back from Endgame. As a Marvel Universe move I'd say it was pretty tame and mediocre.
    As a conclusion to the series, it was exceptionally good.

But who was the kid at the end?

The kid at the end

Spoiler:
    I think it's the kid that helped Iron man in Iron Man 3. I'm assuming you're on about the one in the back right in front of Scarlet Witch et al? I wondered that myself and did a bit of hunting around to find out.
    If money was a chicken, would the chicken be evil?

Quote Originally Posted by Zekk Pacus View Post
    I think the "Thanos is wiping out half the universe because he wants to get with Mistress Death" storyline would be a pretty hard sell to moviegoers.

I enjoyed it - it's heavily fanservicey, but that's okay, and the arcs that needed to end did so with, in the most part, aplomb. A couple of mis-steps along the way but I'll forgive those. As a standalone movie? 7 out of 10. As the culmination of a 12 year story arc? 9 out of 10.
    they can accept that star lord's dad is a brain planet, but not that Thanos would do it all for love?

Quote Originally Posted by Lancehot View Post

they can accept that star lord's dad is a brain planet, but not that Thanos would do it all for love?
    That story only works if deadpool is around and he wasn't when it started.

Quote Originally Posted by vDJ View Post
    Otoh thanos lands nice punches so it's all good.
    He landed a very nice punch on my least favorite newly introduced marvel character too

Solid movie, great way to end the franchise, and only one scene made me roll my eyes!

Spoiler:
    Banner/Hulk at peace with himself was the biggest surprise of the movie for me, as well as fat Thor. Loved both of them. Even ya boiz Korg and Miek were in it rekking some kids in fortnite!

As for Captain America getting to retire in peace with his girl being a paradox ehhh just let it slide
    Last edited by Approaching Walrus; May 2 2019 at 06:51:23 PM.

Enjoyed Endgame just as I thought I would but I have to admit I was surprised by the amount of quelled crying in the theater.

Spoiler:
    Time travel stories never turns out well for me though. If 2014 Thanos gets pulled into the future everything he'd done from that time should be undone. You just have to roll with it I guess.

The final battle when all the portals open up though, chills everywhere. Oh and one scene to infuriate all the incels out there, much laughs were had.

Quote Originally Posted by Elriche Oshego View Post
    High Life is....

Yeah
    A very good summary of my thoughts about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan Dax View Post
    Enjoyed Endgame just as I thought I would but I have to admit I was surprised by the amount of quelled crying in the theater.

Spoiler:
    Time travel stories never turns out well for me though. If 2014 Thanos gets pulled into the future everything he'd done from that time should be undone. You just have to roll with it I guess.

The final battle when all the portals open up though, chills everywhere. Oh and one scene to infuriate all the incels out there, much laughs were had.
      Spoiler:
    Nah it was legitimately just cheap pandering from a studio that literally threw black widow in the refrigerator, her character thought she was worthless because she had no family and her sacrifice served to motivate the males around her to fight harder. So woke!!

Actually one big gripe I have with the whole MCU now that I think of it, Black Widow was a disposable character ever since her introduction. And Joss Weedon, a self-proclaimed feminist, was in charge of the first two films no less...

Black Widow’s Endgame arc plays into one of the oldest and grossest tropes in comics

Endgame kind of quasi-fridges Black Widow.

The viewpoint of the Women in Refrigerators trope is that women are essentially ... not fully human. That is, they don’t actually do anything; they don’t make choices of their own, or do their own things or have their own lives. Everything we see them do onscreen is in relation to the men around them; their actions are most often about influencing or impacting a man’s actions or behavior...

In Age of Ultron, Natasha is pursuing a romantic relationship with Bruce Banner, a.k.a. the Hulk, a love story that received little foreshadowing and which later MCU entries would almost entirely abandon. Bruce is reluctant to go along with the idea, though, on account of how he periodically turns into a giant green rage monster, and he doesn’t think he should inflict his monstrousness on someone else.

But, Natasha says, she’s a monster too. She was made a monster by the people who turned her into a superspy:

They sterilize you. It’s efficient. One less thing to worry about, the one thing that might matter more than a mission. It makes everything easier — even killing. You still think you’re the only monster on the team?
    the idea that Natasha’s infertility somehow makes her monstrous — not a real woman, potentially less than human — was weirdly embedded into Ultron.

And in Endgame, it rears its head subtextually when Black Widow sacrifices herself for the Soul Stone.

In that sequence, either Black Widow or Hawkeye can die to bring the stone back, and both of them are fighting to be the one who gets to make the ultimate sacrifice and keep the other alive. But Natasha is especially determined to be the one who dies because Clint has a family — a wife and three children, all of whom died at the end of Infinity War — and Natasha doesn’t.

And sure, it’s reasonable for Natasha to make the calculation that Clint’s kids deserve to have a dad when they come back to life after the Avengers complete their “time heist.” But because of that Ultron plot, there’s also an insidious implication that Natasha’s infertility renders Black Widow just a little bit more disposable than the rest of her teammates.

So what happens to Black Widow in Avengers: Endgame isn’t the worst feminist travesty in cinema. But that doesn’t make the circumstances surrounding her death any easier to take. Black Widow was the MCU’s first first-string superheroine — and no matter how much girl power Marvel decides to invest in (and market) going forward, its poor treatment of her is telling.
    https://www.vox.com/culture/2019/5/2...ed-black-widow
    Last edited by Approaching Walrus; May 2 2019 at 09:55:30 PM.

That wasn't the scene I had in mind but I can't disagree with you regarding BW. I guess the studio didn't think a female lead could carry a Marvel movie so she got benched a lot of the time. Good to see that's changed.

I saw it yesterday, I have to admit I was a little disappointed. I quite enjoy the Marvel films generally but this one felt like it was wanking over its past 10 years history with an overused trope plot how they beat the bad guy.

Dunno, didn't go into it feeling like that. Went in all hyped actually. Felt like there was "fuck yeah" missing, that final battle just felt forced and eye rolly

Just me probs
    "I think we could all do with sitting back a bit and detaching ourselves from the situation to really think about how these issues reflect on our future and how we discuss them here and be a bit less aggressive or defensive because everyone has a complicated set of circumstances that has led the to place importance on particular issues and it doesn't meany any of them is less valid, we just need to look at the broader picture"

Smuggo - Brexit Thread

That wasn't the scene I had in mind but I can't disagree with you regarding BW. I guess the studio didn't think a female lead could carry a Marvel movie so she got benched a lot of the time. Good to see that's changed.
      Spoiler:
    with how much they used cap. Marvel in the avengers is as she wasnt present. The all female charge was also awkward as fuck...

Spoiler:

Spoiler:
    Are we still spoilering?

Anyway, every story that's ever made a decent hash of time travel has immediately dispensed with the paradox discussion, because if it doesn't, what you end up with is Terminator Genisys, a convoluted mess of timelines.

So in Endgame they immediately dispense with it by explaining that it's impossible to create a paradox because your own personal timeline still continues. So in effect 2014 Thanos was still in 2014 as well as in the future. He is in 2023 until he returns to 2014 or dies - if he returns at the same exit point (which was presumably his plan) his timeline continues, if he doesn't, it still does. At that point his two timelines split and the 2014 version continues on to eventually getting decapitated while the version of him that was in 2023 for all intents and purposes never existed.

It's handwavey soft science but it works well enough.
    'I'm pro life. I'm a non-smoker. I'm a pro-life non-smoker. WOO, Let the party begin!'

Oh and one scene to infuriate all the incels out there, much laughs were had.
    Oh yeah, I know which one you mean I was like, "I see what you're doing, go on..."
    All expressed opinions match those of my employers, hail satan

Quote Originally Posted by halka View Post
    Oh and one scene to infuriate all the incels out there, much laughs were had.
    Oh yeah, I know which one you mean I was like, "I see what you're doing, go on..."
    I don't care for the movie, someone spoil it for me so I can lavish in shadenfreude.

Spoiler:

Spoiler:
    Are we still spoilering?

Anyway, every story that's ever made a decent hash of time travel has immediately dispensed with the paradox discussion, because if it doesn't, what you end up with is Terminator Genisys, a convoluted mess of timelines.

So in Endgame they immediately dispense with it by explaining that it's impossible to create a paradox because your own personal timeline still continues. So in effect 2014 Thanos was still in 2014 as well as in the future. He is in 2023 until he returns to 2014 or dies - if he returns at the same exit point (which was presumably his plan) his timeline continues, if he doesn't, it still does. At that point his two timelines split and the 2014 version continues on to eventually getting decapitated while the version of him that was in 2023 for all intents and purposes never existed.

It's handwavey soft science but it works well enough.
    Primer?
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Mason
    It is absurd that we are capable of witnessing a 40,000 year old system of gender oppression begin to dissolve before our eyes yet still see the abolition of a 200 year old economic system as an unrealistic utopia.