hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 47 of 47 FirstFirst ... 3744454647

Thread: No Man's Sky

Quote Originally Posted by Saul View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    Is this playable now? Always liked the idea but the execution looked bad to put me off.
    I picked it up last year after the major update that made it good (forget the name now). It was good enough to put 348 hours in then and it's had more stuff added since, like new underwater biomes and stuff to find beneath the waves, cosmetic stuff to pretty up a base, and so on. It's got a great exploration/survival vibe to it overall, and the initial quest lines for the base stuff, Atlas etc. have a ton of gameplay. After that's all done, it's all about exploring, finding new ships etc.

Couple pro-tips for anyone just starting:

Freighters are wicked, but don't get stuck with a shit one early on. After 6-7 jumps from your start point, you'll warp into a freighter battle. Wipe the fighters and you'll be given command of the freighter you save. Only the first one is 'free' though, so don't settle for a shit one - after saving it (or before, been a while since I played so I forget how you scan ships to find out their class/slots), if it turns out to be shite, don't accept the offer made by the captain (or avoid talking to him altogether). Just leave, and keep jumping. After a few jumps, the battle will reappear in a different system and you can do it again.

Systems only spawn one type of freighter, so a good way of doing it is to save each jump until you have a save one hop before a system with the freighter type you want in (usually one of the two massive ones). Jump in, save freighter, check class & slots - if shit, reload save and repeat until you get the class you want(S class being the best).

When settling on a world to start the base questlines early on, do yourself a favour and find a planet with seas/oceans on it and set up by the sea. That way, you can do all of the base quests in one place, instead of having to split off later and make a new one on a water planet to finish the sub stuff.

When setting up a long-term base, look for metal nodules (gold balls stacked on top of each other in little clusters) and build nearby. At least one of the nodules in any given group will be Uranium, which is fuel for the ship. No need to craft fuel every five minutes.
    Fuck, i bought a random B class freighter first opportunity i got, and then ive just done the "save me" freighter bit, and refused the freebee. Ive not built an extensive base in my freighter. If i swap for an S class later, does my inner construction move over or is it all lost?

Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    Is this playable now? Always liked the idea but the execution looked bad to put me off.
    So far im having fun. Love having a massive spacefleet to send off on adventures. worth a bash id say.

Bonus points for getting free 1.5bil credits to make purchasing any and all frigates totally trivial

Wait, you can save scum in NMS? Lol.

Seems Duck got banned, but since he can presumably still read the forums:

If you bought one, gutted lol. You'll get the offer every time you go through the 'save the freighter' fight on warping into a new system, but only the first one you accept is free - the others result in the same motions but no ship given.

If you swap freighters, your stored ships will transfer over, but none of the inventory/stored items and none of the structures/built stuff. Best bet is to hold off on any major builds in the freighter until you have the one you're going to stick with. Freighter builds can get big as there's tons of vertical space, but don't build planters for a farm on there without lots of experimentation. The rendering is pretty awful in the freighter and if you build a big farm only a few floors up you'll forever hear the planets rendering in and out as you walk around. It might work if you make the gap between the floors high enough so they don't render on the ground floor at all, but I never tried it - I scrapped mine in the end.