hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them

Thread: S4 Episode 4 Daring Don't HD Youtube link inside

S4 Episode 4 Daring Don't HD Youtube link inside

Will comment once I finish it.

Decent episode, Pinkie was written much better than in Castle Mane-ia.

WoT EU: Mortalitis

There wasn't really that much Pinkie in Castle Mane-ia.

Decent with many shades of awesome. Some of humor was a bit forced. Otoh while I know its heavily hinting at Harry Potter series, Dash'es waiting frenzy made my recite "Write Martin write".

Spoilers?
      Spoiler:

So many "oh my" moments. Mainly due to changes to setting and world-building. First time we saw ponies (and mane 6) fight ponies without any "under evil spell or changeling or whatever". And the cutie marks on thugs that rival archeologist hired... Kkat must have felt very warm inside when he(she? don't know really) saw them.

While Twilight's Alicornification and Discord really going in Q direction are huge huge PODs, a lot of S4 world building and especially the comics move show to such tone that I'm ready to expect news about industrialization of Equestria and coal being imported from Zebras with greater and greater strife.

[IMG][/IMG]

Another good episode. As a viewer, I was feeling like the show had lost something after the long hiatus, but this ep showed me that it's still the same show with awsome ponies.

If I didn't know that the episode was written before season three ended I would have sworn that the intro segment was a direct jab at the 'summer of madness' we just escaped from.

Spoiler:
    I didn't see Daring Doo being real coming at all. People are whining about how much this episode torpedoed heaps of fanon, but personally I've never encountered any - though tvtropes appearantly has multiple pages of compilations from the Daring Doo fan-verse. I think this episode will present more opportunities for fans to run amuck in the end.

Also, plothole - Dash's name is never introduced to Yearling/Doo.

So many Dash faces!

Quote Originally Posted by dzajic View Post
    PODs
    ?

Points of divergence. (From some existing timeline)

WoT EU: Mortalitis

Super Ponerator Global Moderator Evelgrivion's Avatar
    I expected this episode to go one of two ways: one, an allegory against fandoms run amok. Two, de-fictionalization of Daring Do's adventures within the MLP:FIM canon. Went pretty well, all in all, but isn't there a rule against using the Wilhelm Scream more than once per anything?

Now, some questions ensue; does Celestia not have absolute authority over the sun, but only its (relative?) movement across the world? How did Daring Do learn Rainbow Dash's name? Will we be running into Equestria-Nazis some time in the near future? Who are Ahuizotls followers? Would they be considered traitors to the Equestrian crown?
    Last edited by Evelgrivion; December 7 2013 at 10:02:40 PM.

Pretty solid ep I think. Pokes good fun at crazy fans of books/series, builds up the world a fair bit and keeps up with the Indiana Jones references. Didn't feel overly rushed either.

As people have noticed before, they're sure stepped up the animation for this season. It'd be fun to compare scenes between the first and fourth season.
    Real men pvp in barges.

Quote Originally Posted by Amantus View Post
    good to see that Fortior seems like a decent bloke and isn't a gay fat faggot nerd despite his pony avatar

I think it was clear that unpronounceable blue villain's spell would only affect the valley in which the temple was. And if we take "Indiana Jones like travel scene, with maps and lines and stuff" even a tiny bit serious, they traveled a lot to reach the J.K. Rowling pun named author's house. So it could actually be outside Equestria or just at a very remote location.

Quote Originally Posted by Evelgrivion View Post
    Will we be running into Equestria-Nazis some time in the near future?
    Yes. The Ministries. :P

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Super Moderator Global Moderator QuackBot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nu11u5 View Post
    ?
    I'll be manning some turrets and boarding ships for sure, along with mah piloting.

That was certainly an enjoyable adventure episode. And I'm always a fan of taking a dig or two at overly obsessive fans.

With that said, I was expecting this episode to be a fake out - the Mane 6 throws a Daring Doo adventure for RD to help her get over the delay - so the ending did surprise me a bit in that it was played straight.

Quote Originally Posted by Evelgrivion View Post
    Went pretty well, all in all, but isn't there a rule against using the Wilhelm Scream more than once per anything?
    There is no limit to Wilhelm Screams when parodying Indiana Jones. It's far from the only movie to use them, but it's certainly the most famous for it.
    Last edited by Verite Rendition; December 8 2013 at 02:07:48 PM.
    Tranquility (EVE) Influence Map
    Life is absurd, but with a little effort we can make it completely ridiculous

Movember 2011Movember 2012 Nordstern's Avatar
    Another good episode.
    That's a strange way to spell AWESOME.

I'm still in shock over the whole "THAT JUST HAPPENED" aspect, so I can't gush too much over how much I loved this episode (or think straight). I don't think I saw anything wrong with it. Easily in my top 5 episodes. The big question is whether it's as good as or better than "Read It and Weep".
    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm
    Quote Originally Posted by Larkonis Trassler View Post
    WTF I hate white people now...
    Johns Hopkins CSSE COVID-19 Dashboard (updated link)

Quote Originally Posted by Nordstern View Post
    Another good episode.
    That's a strange way to spell AWESOME.

I'm still in shock over the whole "THAT JUST HAPPENED" aspect, so I can't gush too much over how much I loved this episode (or think straight). I don't think I saw anything wrong with it. Easily in my top 5 episodes. The big question is whether it's as good as or better than "Read It and Weep".
    Read It and Weep was more original (since this is a follow-up to that) and it had a more wholesome/important moral to it. Not that Daring Don't had anything wrong with it, but it doesn't top Read It and Weep.

Plus Read It and Weep had Screw Loose.
    Tranquility (EVE) Influence Map
    Life is absurd, but with a little effort we can make it completely ridiculous

Movember 2011Movember 2012 Nordstern's Avatar
    True. RI&W is better, I guess.
    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm
    Quote Originally Posted by Larkonis Trassler View Post
    WTF I hate white people now...
    Johns Hopkins CSSE COVID-19 Dashboard (updated link)

Was a good episode, wish it had more pinkie pie.

N. my favorite, but definitely not bad either.
    All of this has happened before, and all of this will happen again.

For when the inevitable happens. Alt Accounts(tm).