hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Joystick Masochism

Joystick Masochism

Once in a while I get the urge to try and make using a joystick work again. Yes its not as good at head on attacks. Or as accurate at range. Still atleast your flying your plane yourself instead of letting the instructor do it for you (and do it wrong the moment you're going vertical).

I'm using a Logitech 3d extreme pro thats about to die atm(deadzone 40% on rudder -.-). (saving up for a warthog, mostly for DCS).
    Currenlty have sensitivity at 2 bars for pitch& roll, 1 bar for yaw. Linearity at 1, multiplier at 1. Flying is pretty smooth, just when aiming and getting excited I tend to not do input smooth enough and overcontrol. This is something I'm practicing now.

This I notice is that surviving is alot easier and because you're not using all controlsurfaces like a spaz instructor you keep speed much better in turns/loops and all that. Ofcourse, aiming is still a bitch. Effective engagement range basically is <300m with around 150m as optimum.

I've just been using a 360 pad due to my lack of stick. Being killed in 100% of head-ons kinda sucks and aiming can be fucking impossible sometimes but its worth it for just how much smoother you can fly. That and its far more fun than using m+kb for flying a plane even if that is the best option.

Quote Originally Posted by Namoo View Post
    Being killed in 100% of head-ons kinda
    Barrel roll to avoid shots, padlock view to him, turn already at 200m, get behind him, free kill.

Quote Originally Posted by metacannibal View Post
    Barrel roll to avoid shots, padlock view to him, turn already at 200m, get behind him, free kill.
    That'd be neat if I could ever close to 750m without being taken down.

Quote Originally Posted by metacannibal View Post
    That'd be neat if I could ever close to 750m without being taken down.
    Have more/bigger guns, fire early and barrel roll the fuck away. Failing that your options include avoiding h2h or stopping flying shit planes.

You can always try doing this:

Super-effective. Especially since your actual vector doesn't change.

What probably happened is dora's aim was already off with phoon passing slighty to the right (gotta love dora's rudder) and the latter managed to get a hit this way. As an actual h2h tactic this looks idiotic.

P.S.: Cute bombs. Cannons binded to the same button. The guy definitely knows what he's doing.
    Last edited by RazoR; November 5 2013 at 07:14:23 AM.

Why do you have to be such a Negative Nancy?

Probably because he doesnt hang out in the dutch channel on TS at nights

I just remembered that i am a mouse peasant btw. However so is the dude in the jewtube.
    You could use the rudder quite well with a stick on some better handling aircraft, and Typhoon certainly is one.

I definitely should hang out on TS3 more but every time i remember about it it's empty.

then be semi afk in ts and suddenly you will have some representatives of the lower classes joining you

Quote Originally Posted by Hoggbert View Post
    then be semi afk in ts and suddenly you will have some representatives of the lower classes joining you
    now the Dutch proletariat channel

Super Moderator Global Moderator QuackBot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RazoR View Post
    Super-effective. Especially since your actual vector doesn't change.

What probably happened is dora's aim was already off with phoon passing slighty to the right (gotta love dora's rudder) and the latter managed to get a hit this way. As an actual h2h tactic this looks idiotic.

P.S.: Cute bombs. Cannons binded to the same button. The guy definitely knows what he's doing.
    That can fuck right the fuck off.

Doing h2h with rudder is indeed much easier with a stick. Easier as in flying past him while aiming at him. Can even pull back a bit to make it a barrelroll while shooting at him. You still lack the mouse accuracy to actually hit your opponent reliably though.

ATTENTION! ATTENTION!
    The Dutch Proletariat is now OPEN!
    Come by for cold coffee and stale waffles

Waffles are belgian, get some snert instead. Or hollandse nieuwe.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGGAGIPu_Sg#t=348 Interresting observation. Abuse the knowledge to taste.

Adding to the masochism: JP reserve planes are fucking awful with a stick. They pull hard to the left and up. Without 10-15% downards trim they're basically uncontrollable. Every reserve aircraft is shit as a gunnery platform because they bounce all over the place, but JP are notable for being incredibly crap even within the reserve bracket.

-O
    I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those Thukkers, that way I wouldn't have to have any goddamn stupid useless conversations with anybody.
    Failing the Voight-Kampff test, one tortoise at a time.

Haven't tried those. My absolute fav. is the FW 190 D-9, with D13 a close second. Mustang & P47 are also planes that aren't valued as much because most people fly with mouse aim/3rd person. Both have excellent visibilty from the bit and respond well to input if done smoothly. Most planes I'll have 5-12% rudder trim to counteract prop torque. Though usually at higher speeds this goes down to 0. When in combat I'll reset trim to 0% and do everything manually. I'll try the Japanese reserves to see if I get the same thing.

edit:
    Yes its engine torque messing with you. I get the same thing, it varies with airspeed and you can't correct it properly with rudder as that will make you drift like gangster full of swag in his musclecar. Japan can't into plane design.
    Last edited by Torashuu; January 17 2014 at 12:07:02 AM.

I need some help. I play with a 360 pad so essentially using a stick. The F6F Hellcat for me has become completely unusable since 1.37. Before the patch it flew absolutely fine and raped niggas like it should. Now however it suffers from extreme control stiffening for me whenever it is over the speed of 350km/h. Below this speed it remains perfectly fine and agile. Soon as I head over this speed the elevator completely locks and any input to it only pushes the plane further into a nose dive. Is anyone else having these sorts of issues with it. Arcade btw.