hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 3 of 202 FirstFirst 1234561353103 ... LastLast

Thread: Getting in shape/not caring fitness thread

Re: Getting in shape/not caring fitness thread

Quote Originally Posted by Laythun
    Never seen that workout before. You do the same weight every week? and reps at the same weight?
    I do a normal workout i guess, max muscles with heavy weight and stepping up each set to the next heaviest..

anyway link fail
    http://www.laythun.co.uk/180kg.html
    Weight clips, use them!
    MWO: THE LAST JEDI

Nice workout today. Went to coach to talk about my workout schedule, to include some strength workouts between my cycling efforts. He's crunching on a good schedule for me (1 day upper body, 1 day core, 2 days of cycling) so I can keep the rest of my body in check whilst improving my cycling.

Looking forward to working with it, really, as my gym workouts have been without clear structure for a while now.

Update, as my condition is far from perfect but not terrible at all i decided to go all 4 challanges - 100 pushups, 150 dibs, 200 squats and 200 situps, in the same moment. Started at week 3 at all of them, so far not having any troubles and a lot of fun, as i love challenges. Doing them in pairs, 2 per day, swapping every net day. Estimated time of doing all 4 challenges in one day - half of may, maybe at the end. Than i can go to gym as normal people do :P

You'd get more out of something like cycling than doing all these things for your condition

Holy crap. This whole week I've been sore on my upperbody. And I just continue training, I keep improving and improving. It's really making you go wtf. Wednesday I was stil sore from monday, still had improvements over monday. Today I'm still sore from wednesday, and today I'm going to hit those muscles again haha.

But well, soreness does not mean a whole lot after all, but it's kind of weird if you just don't think about it, continue training and still have improvements.

Also I'm addicted to dumbell raises for every shoulder muscle now. It does a lot more than those things as militairy presses etc. In general I find them more comfortable too.
    Look, I'm that pro to spell my name incorrectly \o/
    Queers be bitchin'

Although I usually do Stiff legged dead-lifts I had a go to see what the most I could lift (after watching Laythun's vid) on a normal dead-lift, as I wasn't able to do squats today (bit of equipment was missing).

I tried 3 plates, but at my gym the plates are only 20kg each and the bar weighs next to nothing. So it was only 120kg. I managed 3x this, although it was a real effort and form suffered on the final rep.

I then upped it to by adding another 10kg to either side, 140kg in total, didn't even manage a full rep of this, it got off the ground but I sas too afraid of pushing my back all the way through in fear of popping the fucker, so it might of been a mental thing. No video though, as I train calzone .

I was on a 20% download today, so only doing 80% of my usual, still felt tired, probably the dead lift attempt though. Finished the session off with 10 minutes running and 15 minutes on the cross trainer. I'm down 8 lbs as of this morning from 1 month ago, and I have certainly gained strength (I don't think I could of DL'd 120kg x 3 mid march).
    You're like a fluffy gerbil sat on a naked woman's crotch, you might think you're looking cool, but everybody else thinks you're a cunt.
    aka Maasu.

Never seen that workout before. You do the same weight every week? and reps at the same weight?
    I do a normal workout i guess, max muscles with heavy weight and stepping up each set to the next heaviest..

anyway link fail
    Grats on the lift, but your form there needs a lot of work. I think you could easily lift even more than. A couple of big things: especially on the first pull you are rounding your back badly. Try to drive your chest up and look forward not down towards the floor during the lift. That should help keep your back in the right position throughout the movement. The other big thing (two issues in one really) is you are pulling the weight almost entirely with your back, which is impressive but dangerous. You need more involvement from the hips and I didn't see much hip drive at all especially in the 2nd and 3rd reps. Basically you want to be driving your hips up and forward into extension more during the movement. This video is for the back squat, but the principles of hip drive are quite similar: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yha2XAc2qu8 . If you are incorporating more hip drive into the motion you should notice that your back angle during the lift starts closer to a 45, rather than parallel to the floor.

It's so much easier to actually be able to correct this kind of stuff in person, but I hope the above is understandable enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Misan

anyway link fail
    Grats on the lift, but your form there needs a lot of work. I think you could easily lift even more than. A couple of big things: especially on the first pull you are rounding your back badly. Try to drive your chest up and look forward not down towards the floor during the lift. That should help keep your back in the right position throughout the movement. The other big thing (two issues in one really) is you are pulling the weight almost entirely with your back, which is impressive but dangerous. You need more involvement from the hips and I didn't see much hip drive at all especially in the 2nd and 3rd reps. Basically you want to be driving your hips up and forward into extension more during the movement. This video is for the back squat, but the principles of hip drive are quite similar: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yha2XAc2qu8 . If you are incorporating more hip drive into the motion you should notice that your back angle during the lift starts closer to a 45, rather than parallel to the floor.

It's so much easier to actually be able to correct this kind of stuff in person, but I hope the above is understandable enough.
    looked more like a poor form straight leg deadlift to me, impressive lift whatever it was though!

So... how about sex as a workout?
    My primary weapons are nostalgia, honesty and surprise!

Quote Originally Posted by TurielD
    Well, just like 5 minute on the treadmill does not count as cardio, 3 minute sex doesn't count as a workout. :P

But yea, those 30+ minutes sexytimes are a hell of a workout.

Has anyone here ever had to setup a workout plan around an injury? My shoulder won't be fixed for another 2-3 months, but I can't be arsed only doing cardio anymore and want to lift again or at least mix it up. Obviously bi/triceps, chest, back and shoulders itself are a problem to train kinda. As long as I isolate the muscles I can easily curl for example, but only with bad form, i.e. resting the elbows on my ripcage to ease it for my shoulder.

Any ideas, tricks, tips?

Quote Originally Posted by Yuto
    Quote Originally Posted by TurielD
    Well, just like 5 minute on the treadmill does not count as cardio, 3 minute sex doesn't count as a workout. :P

But yea, those 30+ minutes sexytimes are a hell of a workout.

Has anyone here ever had to setup a workout plan around an injury? My shoulder won't be fixed for another 2-3 months, but I can't be arsed only doing cardio anymore and want to lift again or at least mix it up. Obviously bi/triceps, chest, back and shoulders itself are a problem to train kinda. As long as I isolate the muscles I can easily curl for example, but only with bad form, i.e. resting the elbows on my ripcage to ease it for my shoulder.

Any ideas, tricks, tips?
    Yuto poastin again

But... what kind of injury is it, did you get additional exercises for it (stretches or rotary cuff?). Is it a tendon, muscle or anything else? Anterior/Lateral/Posterior etc? Not like I could make up what to do exactly out of that, but then we would have an idea.

In general, if you really can not use your shoulder, you're fucked. No deadlifts, no squats, no upperbody at all. However, then you really fucked it up badly, which I doubt. I guess you could lift weights, but take it very, very easy. See where it starts to hurt, try different exercises etc.

If it's a muscle problem, try to do mostly things that keep your shoulder muscles fixed and not in max strength position. Benchpress for example might be possible with not lowering the bar that far.

If it's a tendon/internal problem, I'd stay away from things that really use the rotational function of your shoulder (like flys/raises etc). Also deadlifts might be a problem due to the pullingforce on the internal structures.

But, I ain't no doc of course.
    Queers be bitchin'

after i broke my collar bone so i was out of commission for about three months. at first i couldn't do shit except stretch. after about a month i could start walking a lot, eventually into jogging. in the weight room i could only do abs and leg work such as lunges, leg press, leg curls, leg extensions. eventually i was able to do assisted dips and pull-ups but that was about it.

you should mess around with a lot of machines and see which you can use w/o pain.

Quote Originally Posted by Formos Funus
    But... what kind of injury is it, did you get additional exercises for it (stretches or rotary cuff?).
    I dislocated my shoulder. Its not been operated on yet (too busy at work to take the downtime), but will be in June. However I am getting bored with purely Cardio and after the OP in June the shoulder will be fixed for 3 weeks + 3 weeks of passive therapy (meaning I am not allowed to move it myself, but the therapist moves my arm/shoulder for me) + 6 weeks of active therapy. By then my entire upper body will have deteriorated to beta phaggot status, which I cannot allow. So I wanna do SOME strengthening to mitigate the effects of the OP + post-op therapy.

Will probably try every machine with smallest weight and measure the pain on a scale from 8 to 10. :S

Will probably try every machine with smallest weight and measure the pain on a scale from 8 to 10. :S
    thats probably the best idea, machines and light weight, maybe some body weight too, press ups, dips etc.

But... what kind of injury is it, did you get additional exercises for it (stretches or rotary cuff?).
    I dislocated my shoulder. Its not been operated on yet (too busy at work to take the downtime), but will be in June. However I am getting bored with purely Cardio and after the OP in June the shoulder will be fixed for 3 weeks + 3 weeks of passive therapy (meaning I am not allowed to move it myself, but the therapist moves my arm/shoulder for me) + 6 weeks of active therapy. By then my entire upper body will have deteriorated to beta phaggot status, which I cannot allow. So I wanna do SOME strengthening to mitigate the effects of the OP + post-op therapy.

Either that,

or, accept you're actually a beta trololol

Fucked up though man, how did it happen?
    Queers be bitchin'

don't worry if you find you can't do a lot of shit. it's better to let it heal rather than aggravate the injury more right? 3 months is nothing.

Fucked up though man, how did it happen?
    I was hiking with a friend and he slipped off a cliff and I grabbed him in the last second, dislocating my shoulder, but saving his life ... that sounds manly, right?

In reality ..., however, ... I played squash and dislocated it when swatted a ball overhead in a very awkward angle.

:betaphaggot: I will probably do some isolated exercises and maybe isometrics. v0v

Back from gym, apparently I can use tubes as an alternative to weights in an acceptable range of pain.

Feels good man (also bad at the same time, but more good).

Donor

Back from gym, apparently I can use tubes as an alternative to weights in an acceptable range of pain.

There has been some tests where people with a broken leg or some other fucked up thing, has reduced the loss of muscles in the foot/leg they are injured in by up to 65%, by just keep training the other one. Doing alternative exercises. Apparently it triggers some nerve/muscle fibers.

On to something different.

Started on the onehundredpushup thingy today. So instead of weights, I`m gonna do this for the chest, and see how it goes.

I can already use the 40kg dumbells for the chest, so this is more for the curiosity.

Try resistance bands too