hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 193 of 195 FirstFirst ... 93143183190191192193194195 LastLast
Results 3,841 to 3,860 of 3891

Thread: Getting in shape/not caring fitness thread

  1. #3841

    Join Date
    April 9, 2012
    Location
    Pit of depravity
    Posts
    4,140
    I maintain that for most people keto is overkill....it's not needed and not especially healthy (it can bo, but most people don't do it healthily).

    Just control calories and do enough exercise to exceed your calorie intake.

  2. #3842
    Keckers's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 31, 2012
    Posts
    10,387
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Caine View Post
    I maintain that for most people keto is overkill....it's not needed and not especially healthy (it can bo, but most people don't do it healthily).

    Just control calories and do enough exercise to exceed your calorie intake.
    Keto is for people who lack self discipline and need to be part of a community/cult in order to achieve things.

    If anyone disagrees they can fite me irl but I'll throw potatoes at you.
      Spoiler:

  3. #3843

    Join Date
    December 15, 2011
    Location
    The Establishment
    Posts
    1,054
    Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Caine View Post
    I maintain that for most people keto is overkill....it's not needed and not especially healthy (it can bo, but most people don't do it healthily).

    Just control calories and do enough exercise to exceed your calorie intake.
    Keto is for people who lack self discipline and need to be part of a community/cult in order to achieve things.

    If anyone disagrees they can fite me irl but I'll throw potatoes at you.
    This cannot be stressed enough. Burn > Intake and you will loose weight, unless you're one of those very few who happen to have major metabolic issues. And most people aren't - they just overestimate how much they burn or underestimate how much you stuff into your pie-hole in a day.

  4. #3844
    Keckers's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 31, 2012
    Posts
    10,387
    Quote Originally Posted by morpheps View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Caine View Post
    I maintain that for most people keto is overkill....it's not needed and not especially healthy (it can bo, but most people don't do it healthily).

    Just control calories and do enough exercise to exceed your calorie intake.
    Keto is for people who lack self discipline and need to be part of a community/cult in order to achieve things.

    If anyone disagrees they can fite me irl but I'll throw potatoes at you.
    This cannot be stressed enough. Burn > Intake and you will loose weight, unless you're one of those very few who happen to have major metabolic issues. And most people aren't - they just overestimate how much they burn or underestimate how much you stuff into your pie-hole in a day.
    Have a research paper
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1454084
      Spoiler:

  5. #3845

    Join Date
    December 15, 2011
    Location
    The Establishment
    Posts
    1,054
    Quote Originally Posted by Research Paper
    CONCLUSIONS:
    The failure of some obese subjects to lose weight while eating a diet they report as low in calories is due to an energy intake substantially higher than reported and an overestimation of physical activity, not to an abnormality in thermogenesis.
    Who knew, eh.

  6. #3846
    Keckers's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 31, 2012
    Posts
    10,387
    Quote Originally Posted by morpheps View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Research Paper
    CONCLUSIONS:
    The failure of some obese subjects to lose weight while eating a diet they report as low in calories is due to an energy intake substantially higher than reported and an overestimation of physical activity, not to an abnormality in thermogenesis.
    Who knew, eh.
    muh thyroid problems
    muh slow metabolism
    muh genetics
      Spoiler:

  7. #3847
    Ben Derindar's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    1,454
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandzibar View Post
    Yeah I guess. I tend to make lots of whey/oats/pbutter/dash of honey snack bars as a healthier pudding option when not trying to lose fat. And avoid sweets totally when I am.

    Sweet tooth is a bugger to deal with. Might try Keto but I suspect it will be hardmode.
    It can be tricky at first but only in the sense that it takes time to find enough variety in a keto diet without dying of boredom from the same few meals over and over. But it's damned effective, and you can learn your way around it with enough reading/research.

    Hell I'm now making my own homemade low carb ice cream over the summer atm; all of my noms.

  8. #3848
    Larkonis Trassler's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    FEARLESS.
    Posts
    9,819
    Is 'Starting Strength' a decent book? Going to start lifting with the GF, thought it might be a good jumping off point as haven't done any lifting for donkeys (and then it probably wasn't particularly good form/technique).


  9. #3849
    Mallet Head Donor 56k Lagman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 5, 2011
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    2,843
    Quote Originally Posted by Larkonis Trassler View Post
    Is 'Starting Strength' a decent book? Going to start lifting with the GF, thought it might be a good jumping off point as haven't done any lifting for donkeys (and then it probably wasn't particularly good form/technique).
    Yes mate it's very good but for squatting alone there is like 30 pages+ to read which is a bit much. If you're prepared to chew through a decent amount of theory it will teach you a lot and should drive home the importance of heavy compound lifts and their role in overall strength. I swore by that book and for years felt great thanks to deadlifting and squatting so much

  10. #3850
    Keckers's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 31, 2012
    Posts
    10,387
    Quote Originally Posted by Larkonis Trassler View Post
    Is 'Starting Strength' a decent book? Going to start lifting with the GF, thought it might be a good jumping off point as haven't done any lifting for donkeys (and then it probably wasn't particularly good form/technique).
    Eh, it's over hyped and become a meme. His squatting advice is mediocre, bench advice is basic, his deadlift advice is crap (you won't die if you deadlift more than once a week) and overall SS is a program which was designed for skinny highschool kids looking to bulk up for playing football with the big boys.

    You're best off using google.

    Greg Nuckols is a great source of knowledge http://strengtheory.com/
    Cody Lefever's GZCL method is a good place to start understanding programming http://swoleateveryheight.blogspot.c...lified_13.html
    Dr Mike Israetel has a bunch of great information if you are interested in the sciencey side of stuff https://notehub.org/6cvvk

    Greyskull Linear Progression is probably the best starting program for barbell based gym work. There are a few variants, the phrak variant and /fit/ variant are pretty much just as good as each other.
      Spoiler:

  11. #3851
    shoki's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    Shit
    Posts
    1,560
    Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    ITT: I get triggered by ketards

    Quote Originally Posted by Zeekar View Post
    Eat a crossaint in the morning.
    Lunch at the work cafeteria which can be any thing.
    Sandwich after work at around 5-8 pm.
    Add an occasional beer when I go out with friends and thats that.
    Forgot we usually eat something after basketball every friday. Chips and stuff.

    I've been losing weight because of that but its rather slow and I still dont have any clue what I'm eating nor how much.
    How quickly are you losing weight? It's generally a pretty slow process. 1.5kg a week is a pretty good target to aim for with a decent calory restriction.

    First thing I'd suggest from your diet would be replacing the croisant with something like a banana and coffee. And depending how big your lunch is try to cut down on teh size of the sandwich or amount of fillings.
    wow
    first, zeekar, that sounds like super restrictive diet. only one proper meal a day?
    otoh, keckers, 1.5kg PER WEEK? jesus fuck, that's a LOT
    ingame: AntonioBanderas
    Detecting epic potential, expecting epic fail.
    Ah yes, the fork: The poor man's trident
    Quote Originally Posted by Duckslayer
    I fucking hate Steven Hawking. Smug little faggot with his stupid chariot

  12. #3852
    Cosmin's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 14, 2012
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    4,635
    Quote Originally Posted by shoki View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    ITT: I get triggered by ketards

    Quote Originally Posted by Zeekar View Post
    Eat a crossaint in the morning.
    Lunch at the work cafeteria which can be any thing.
    Sandwich after work at around 5-8 pm.
    Add an occasional beer when I go out with friends and thats that.
    Forgot we usually eat something after basketball every friday. Chips and stuff.

    I've been losing weight because of that but its rather slow and I still dont have any clue what I'm eating nor how much.
    How quickly are you losing weight? It's generally a pretty slow process. 1.5kg a week is a pretty good target to aim for with a decent calory restriction.

    First thing I'd suggest from your diet would be replacing the croisant with something like a banana and coffee. And depending how big your lunch is try to cut down on teh size of the sandwich or amount of fillings.
    wow
    first, zeekar, that sounds like super restrictive diet. only one proper meal a day?
    otoh, keckers, 1.5kg PER WEEK? jesus fuck, that's a LOT
    It isn't if you're a fatty. I've lost around 30kg in a year and it was a slow and tedious process due to me relapsing into eating and irregular gym schedules.

    But it is entirely possible if you're fat to begin with.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Guns make the news, science doesn't.
    Six shooters ruined PvP.
    What are you doing with your life?ęDoomchinchilla 2015

  13. #3853
    מלך יהודים Zeekar's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Posts
    13,271
    1.5kg/week is possible even if you're not fat.


    

  14. #3854
    Keckers's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 31, 2012
    Posts
    10,387
    Quote Originally Posted by shoki View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    ITT: I get triggered by ketards

    Quote Originally Posted by Zeekar View Post
    Eat a crossaint in the morning.
    Lunch at the work cafeteria which can be any thing.
    Sandwich after work at around 5-8 pm.
    Add an occasional beer when I go out with friends and thats that.
    Forgot we usually eat something after basketball every friday. Chips and stuff.

    I've been losing weight because of that but its rather slow and I still dont have any clue what I'm eating nor how much.
    How quickly are you losing weight? It's generally a pretty slow process. 1.5kg a week is a pretty good target to aim for with a decent calory restriction.

    First thing I'd suggest from your diet would be replacing the croisant with something like a banana and coffee. And depending how big your lunch is try to cut down on teh size of the sandwich or amount of fillings.
    wow
    first, zeekar, that sounds like super restrictive diet. only one proper meal a day?
    otoh, keckers, 1.5kg PER WEEK? jesus fuck, that's a LOT
    Depends how fat you are. If you're 30% bf then it's a reasonable aim.

    For athletes looking to slowly cut weight the suggested approach is to take your bf%, divide it by 20 and that is the amount of total body mass you should cut per week. For other people this is extremely conservative since losing a bit of lean mass isn't that much of a problem.
      Spoiler:

  15. #3855
    Mallet Head Donor 56k Lagman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 5, 2011
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    2,843
    Losing over a kilo week are you lot having a fucking laugh

  16. #3856
    Keckers's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 31, 2012
    Posts
    10,387
    Quote Originally Posted by 56k Lagman View Post
    Losing over a kilo week are you lot having a fucking laugh
    Have you tried trying?
      Spoiler:

  17. #3857

    Join Date
    December 15, 2011
    Location
    The Establishment
    Posts
    1,054
    You're discussing apples and oranges. For most people, loosing 0.5 to 1 kg a week is a reasonable and healthy goal. If you are 200 kg and have a lot of flubb, you're going to loose more than that initially. The question in the long run is whether or not your weightloss is going to be sustainable though.

  18. #3858
    Mallet Head Donor 56k Lagman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 5, 2011
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    2,843
    Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 56k Lagman View Post
    Losing over a kilo week are you lot having a fucking laugh
    Have you tried trying?
    No I've only ever been underweight but trying to move that much weight on or off in such a short space of time in a word sounds violent to me

  19. #3859
    Keckers's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 31, 2012
    Posts
    10,387
    A 100kg man at 20% bf can lose 1kg a week and not lose any lean muscle mass. That's a pretty impressive feat by the human body tbh.

    It's a number derived from the calories that can be released from your fat reserves.
      Spoiler:

  20. #3860
    Mallet Head Donor 56k Lagman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 5, 2011
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    2,843
    I'm sure it's physically possible I'm finding it hard to believe it's something people can actually do and maintain for more than like a month

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •