hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 202 of 202 FirstFirst ... 102152192199200201202
Results 4,021 to 4,040 of 4040

Thread: Getting in shape/not caring fitness thread

5 lbs to 35 lbs.

Have a go at this and then add in some dumbbell curls, presses, flyes etc
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Mason
    It is absurd that we are capable of witnessing a 40,000 year old system of gender oppression begin to dissolve before our eyes yet still see the abolition of a 200 year old economic system as an unrealistic utopia.

Movember '11 Ginger Excellence Movember 2011Movember 2012 sarabando's Avatar
    No taekwondo classes next week all the teachers are away.

might go to the gym instead, need to work on getting rid of my man boobs.

Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeekar View Post
    Yo keckers m8. I still need those dietary resources. Help a nigga out.
    Ah yeah shit Soz. I'm have a looksie when I'm back from the gym
    https://www.strongerbyscience.com/re...raining-goals/ ctrl f "How fast can I lose fat?" Or just read the whole thing, it's pretty comprehensive and worth spending the time to read.

Anything more specific you want help with?

Quote Originally Posted by Idara View Post
    Does anyone have a decent workout schedule they use for weightlifting?

I've been doing a split of arms one day and then legs/lower body for another, it's probably not the most ideal for properly working the individual groups within the larger group (i.e. biceps, triceps, and chest on the same day currently).

I work out at home and have a good set of dumbbells that I can range from easy to "nope" on right now, so that limits the specific exercises I do (no machines).

I was thinking of splitting the upper body stuff into two days itself? Keep the legs and abs stuff on one day, then try to split the biceps, triceps, chest, shoulders from a single workout one day to maybe over two?
    How heavy do the dumbbells go?

Look at this https://www.reddit.com/r/bodyweightfitness/wiki/index
    Will take a look and get back to you.

So that post helped me out with a safe and attainable weight loss.
    According to some very quick and very rough measurements im at:

Weight: 96 kg
    Height: 187 cm
    Body fat: max measured 18% (that navy method)
    Recommended weight loss per week: 0.9 kg
    My goal weight: 83 +- 2 kg

Looks fine and dandy to me and should accomplish my goal in ~ 3-4 months easy.
    What my autistic mind needs right now:

- how many calories am i burning per day ( so a calculator of sort which is decently accurate)
    - recommended macro split i assume
    - some food recipe base (i'm a horrible cook) which if possible has listed the splits of nutrients of the meal so i can plan a decent meal plan
    - maybe some recommended meal plans or some foods that are easy to prep?

Help a nigga out?

Back to acrobatics this weekend, also back to strength/conditioning twice a week. Need to get stronk! (This is on top of capoeira 5 times a week)

So that post helped me out with a safe and attainable weight loss.
    According to some very quick and very rough measurements im at:

Weight: 96 kg
    Height: 187 cm
    Body fat: max measured 18% (that navy method)
    Recommended weight loss per week: 0.9 kg
    My goal weight: 83 +- 2 kg

Looks fine and dandy to me and should accomplish my goal in ~ 3-4 months easy.
    What my autistic mind needs right now:

- how many calories am i burning per day ( so a calculator of sort which is decently accurate)
    - recommended macro split i assume
    - some food recipe base (i'm a horrible cook) which if possible has listed the splits of nutrients of the meal so i can plan a decent meal plan
    - maybe some recommended meal plans or some foods that are easy to prep?

Help a nigga out?
    this helped me a bit
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Fitness/wik...xing_your_diet

autopsy of an obese person

warning, gore
      Spoiler:

eat less and exercise more
    Last edited by Approaching Walrus; November 30 2017 at 11:53:03 PM.

Movember 2011Movember 2012 Nordstern's Avatar
    What's your excuse for not working out?

"Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm
    Quote Originally Posted by Larkonis Trassler View Post
    WTF I hate white people now...

Too many limbs and not enough tyres.

That said, I've been nagging my gym via their comments box to get a prowler and a tyre or two. I'm not holding my breath though, my request for more proper flat benches fell on deaf ears.
    It is absurd that we are capable of witnessing a 40,000 year old system of gender oppression begin to dissolve before our eyes yet still see the abolition of a 200 year old economic system as an unrealistic utopia.

Quote Originally Posted by Approaching Walrus View Post

warning, gore
      Spoiler:

Autopsy of a 56 year-old obese woman was suffering from Heart failure due to excess fat intake which cause heart diseases to her followed by Death.
    I'm p. sure that lady didn't eat too much fat. I'm p. sure she ate a lot of sweets and sugars. Fats are metabolised a lot slower than carbs and they have a tendency to not be stored/converted.

I've said it many times. Unless you have hypercholesterolemia/hypertriglyceridemia or eat a lot of carbs, fat will not make you fat unless you are guzzling down gallons of it.
    Guns make the news, science doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Approaching Walrus View Post

warning, gore
      Spoiler:

Autopsy of a 56 year-old obese woman was suffering from Heart failure due to excess fat intake which cause heart diseases to her followed by Death.
    I'm p. sure that lady didn't eat too much fat. I'm p. sure she ate a lot of sweets and sugars. Fats are metabolised a lot slower than carbs and they have a tendency to not be stored/converted.

I've said it many times. Unless you have hypercholesterolemia/hypertriglyceridemia or eat a lot of carbs, fat will not make you fat unless you are guzzling down gallons of it.

Edit: they're not actually saying that she ate a lot of fat.
    Last edited by Cosmin; August 9 2018 at 02:59:25 PM.

Are you really a doctor?

She ate too much. Probably of everything. Fat will make you fat if you are eating over your BMR just the same as any other intake of macronutirent.

Had health problems 18 months ago, including secondary side-effects like 'why do you have fifteen times the normal amount of iron in your blood'

Lost 10kg.

Health problems gone.
    Contract stuff to Seraphina Amaranth.

"You give me the awful impression - I hate to have to say - of someone who hasn't read any of the arguments against your position. Ever."

Are you really a doctor?

She ate too much. Probably of everything. Fat will make you fat if you are eating over your BMR just the same as any other intake of macronutirent.
    I was just trying to emphasise that fat alone doesn't make you fat. You know that. Everybody knows that. Fat has been made into a demon for way too long, that's why there are low fat yoghurts that have a shit ton of sugar.

Eating lots of everything != lots of fat and that's it, boom, heart disease.

I've never met an obese person who had a healthy diet but just ate too much of it.

I've never met an obese person who had a healthy diet but just ate too much of it.
    If the definition of a healthy diet is one that the body seems naturally satisfied with, i.e. it's not asking you to refeed it every couple of hours through constant hunger signals, then I agree with this.

I can overeat on low carb if I want to, but it's actually a lot harder to do so because fat and protein is just so much more filling for me compared to carbs. I can have a plate of pasta for lunch and be hungry again at 3, or I can have a plate of porkbelly for lunch and be hungry again at 6.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Derindar View Post
    If the definition of a healthy diet is one that the body seems naturally satisfied with, i.e. it's not asking you to refeed it every couple of hours through constant hunger signals, then I agree with this.

I can overeat on low carb if I want to, but it's actually a lot harder to do so because fat and protein is just so much more filling for me compared to carbs. I can have a plate of pasta for lunch and be hungry again at 3, or I can have a plate of porkbelly for lunch and be hungry again at 6.
    That's not a definition of a healthy diet. Healthy diet is the one that fulfills your caloric, vitamin, macro and micro nutrient intake. Aka you're a healthy individual in part because of the diet.

Yeah Ben's definition is pretty poor.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Derindar View Post

That's not a definition of a healthy diet. Healthy diet is the one that fulfills your caloric, vitamin, macro and micro nutrient intake. Aka you're a healthy individual in part because of the diet.
    I like you're quoting textbooks, reality is a bit different.

You have people who eat a lot of crap (read unsaturated fats galore combined with fat free yoghurts and no meat cuz "meat be human too" or some bs, their weight rivals Willy (the whale) and you can comfortably roll them around.

Ben has lost a lot of weight and he is a healthier person just by that alone, you can have a textbook diet and be horribly overweight due to low energy expenditure and have a stroke at 40.

The definition in itself is quite accurate. Our bodies do know what's good for them - idk when or where we lost that part of the brain that governs our self-regulating weight - interesting fact, some animals can't get overweight even if they're being overfed, they just stop eating - but overall I fear it's our gluttony that spells our doom through heart and vascular disease.

NB: from a professional pov, I apparently am not encouraged to make suggestions regarding weight to my patients, even though it is sure to hurt them in the long run if they maintain their extremely high BMI. By contrast, my home country's physicians made it their mission to point out you're fucking fat and you should lose weight. I'm more "in the middle" with that so to speak, I'd rather point out that a lot of issues are likely to be improved by weight loss alone - some cases of chronic back pain for example. People like their morphine, what can I say

A healthy diet is a diet that of course provides what you need, however what you think you need isn't always what you actually need. You don't need fast food, candy, chocolate, sugar, bread, crackers, pastries, pasta and I could go on all day. You need eggs, fresh fruit, veggies, meat (essential aminoacids are called so for a reason ffs) and a way to cook them that won't kill you before you're 40 (read try to not use a lot of cooking oil or butter, there are non stick frying pans and slow cookers are a thing). Cheese is also fantastic but for the love of god try finding one that's unsalted because that crap screams hypertension (and all the risks that follow).

My point was the video above was gud except it implying it was fat intake alone that made that person obese. That's not how any of it works. Fat is digested quite slowly and has a lower caloric index than carbs and therefore is much less likely to be stored.

About storage. The adipocite reference was extremely interesting because it hits home big time. A lot of kids that are over weight have a very high risk of obesity in adulthood due to how their adipose tissue develops, but try and convince some parents that stuffing their kids up is wrong. Kids may actually be regulating their body mass much more efficiently than adults considering the physical exercise they put in generally (if they're allowed to go out and run around, again... parents ffs) and their intense metabolism given they're growing up after all.

Please note that fat storage from carbs is not direct, it's been proven that in fact it's insulin that's "at fault" here, which stimulates fat storage more than it stimulates glucose uptake. What a high carb intake does is also shut down lipolysis, which I hope I don't have to explain why is bad.

Drawing a line, yes, Keckers, you were right. They probably had too much of everything, however may I point out that it is a long standing process that leads to that point and it probably started with excess sugary intake, which then led to insulin resistance (improperly called pre-diabetes state), which in turn led to diabetes. By this point, most likely the person was already slightly or more overweight and it all snowballs further from there. Unfortunately, some people think that insulin treatment in diabetes is a free card to gulp down on sugary stuffs, which is needless to say incredibly stupid. You end up seeing people with 50 units three times a day or more. Funnily enough, they don't get hypoglycaemia not even when confronted with hospital food since their insulin resistance is sky high.

My personal goal because this is the fitness thread after all is to get to an ideal weight and stay there whilst monitoring my blood sugars ocasionally to make sure genetics doesn't fuck me over somehow despite the very low carb intake.

As a side note: worst thing one can do is eat carbs from time to time whilst on a keto diet. This would shut down lipolysis and encourage storage of the fatty intake leading to all sorts of nopes.