hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 204 of 204 FirstFirst ... 104154194201202203204
Results 4,061 to 4,076 of 4076

Thread: Getting in shape/not caring fitness thread

Aare you a hobbyist doing it for exercise or are you a competitor?
    Low-carbohydrate, ketogenic diet impairs anaerobic exercise performance in exercise-trained women and men: a randomized-sequence crossover trial.

You could just eat carbs and have access to more efficient energy pathways. You need carbs for explosive energy, you're leaving performance on the table on a ketogenic diet which makes it fairly useless for competitive athletes in the on season. This is pretty evident by the complete lack of competitive athletes on keto diets.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Mason
    It is absurd that we are capable of witnessing a 40,000 year old system of gender oppression begin to dissolve before our eyes yet still see the abolition of a 200 year old economic system as an unrealistic utopia.

No, my experience is the exact oposite.
    I have far less energy when I eat carbs. Get winded more easily and sweat alot more. Like realy alot

Used to be a competitor. Not at the moment tho, but that doesn't change my experience. There are plenty of elite attletes who don't agree with you or the cherrypicked articles you post. The study you linked tested them after four days.
    That's litteraly right in the middle of the crossover where you feel all those drawbacks before your body adjusts and is still trying to burn carbs.

So what's your level of athleticism? And how much experience of low carb performance do you have, since you're arguing the point?

Name a well known group of professional athletes who are low carb throughout the season.

I'm arguing against low carb because it is totally unnecessary unless you are morbidly obese with seriously disordered eating or you are an off season athlete in very specific sports.

The keto-cult is more annoying and less necessary than Veganism.
    It is absurd that we are capable of witnessing a 40,000 year old system of gender oppression begin to dissolve before our eyes yet still see the abolition of a 200 year old economic system as an unrealistic utopia.

You just show that you have no clue nor interest to learn abour about the benefits. So I'm not gona bother arguing this with you any further.

Comrade Keckers is never wrong, merely misinterpreted.

Quote Originally Posted by Ashaz View Post
    You just show that you have no clue nor interest to learn abour about the benefits. So I'm not gona bother arguing this with you any further.
    One links a study supporting his claim while the other calls him without interest and clueless and moonwalks out of the debate without supporting his argument beyond personal anecdotes.

Mfw.

If keto is so great why aren't elite athletes using it for increased performance?
    Quote Originally Posted by Djan Seriy Anaplian View Post
    Comrade Keckers is never wrong, merely misinterpreted.
    *misrepresented

I prefer misinterpreted

Also I need a small injection of carbs before I work out or I feel faint.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeekar View Post
    One links a study supporting his claim while the other calls him without interest and clueless and moonwalks out of the debate without supporting his argument beyond personal anecdotes.

Mfw.
    He was the one trying to prove a point by asking about my personal experiences. *Shrug*

And as I already pointed out, the study is not relevant as it was done over 4 days. It takes weeks for the body to adapt.
    There are plenty of studies and athletes in support of low carb diets. Olympic medalist Björn Ferry for example.

And here's a different study on the topic.

https://www.metabolismjournal.com/ar...334-0/fulltext

An endurance athlete and a study about ultra-endurance is completely unrelated to my point concerning explosive energy and the need for carbohydrates in athletes requiring anaerobic respiration for peak performance.

In my personal experience I absolutely need carbohydrates in my diet in order to get by. I play in amateur competitive leagues for hockey in the winter season (weekly league matches, training and additional cup games) and cricket in the summer season. I go to the gym several times a week for strength and conditioning and prehab/rehab. A carb free diet would be a ridiculous restriction for even amateur athletes.

further:
    Effects of a ketogenic diet on strength and power
    Typical training adaptation in 1RM attempts for squat and bench press etc and then...

However, one study attempted to simulate a race-like environment, which incorporated anaerobic sprints during the aerobic event. This study found that no differences were present during the aerobic portion, but the time to travel 4km in the sprint was significantly greater in the ketogenic group.
    Last edited by Keckers; August 31 2018 at 03:41:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    Name a well known group of professional athletes who are low carb throughout the season.
    Lowcarb for athletes is not something I've read as much about as lowcarb for the rest of us, simply because I'm not an athlete so that's not where my personal interest lies. What little I have read in that area tells me that generally the more short term/explosive the nature of the exercise, the more likely people will benefit from having at least some carbs on the day. So on that particular point I don't necessarily disagree with Keckers. But there are at least a few professional low carb athletes out there nonetheless: the 2015 Australian cricket team*, tennis player Novak Djokovic and various NBA basketballers.

Ashaz makes a valid point about adaptation time though. Many studies examining the effectiveness of low carb don't last long enough for the results to be taken seriously, because it can take several weeks for the body to adapt into ketosis, during which time a lot of people experience some common side effects, many of which will undoubtedly impact on performance. You really need to look at longer term studies to get a fairer assessment of things, and it's at about this point where Keckers' insistence on keto being a "cult" begins to falter.

* I say 2015 because the team doctor of that time (Dr Peter Brukner) is no longer with them so I don't know if they still do low carb today. But they did win the cricket world cup at that time.

In an effort to sort my life out a bit, I'm trying to stop drinking. Maybe just for October, Maybe longer term.
    Maybe just until tonight when I go out and 'accidentally' have beer 'cos of having no willpower.

I haven't really told anyone as i want to achieve something (you cunts don't count <3) first, but ponder this morning : Why are there no "help stopping drinking" aids in the same vein as stopping smoking aids ?

day 2. I'm partly ashamed to admit that this is probably the longest i've gone without any booze for several years VoV
    Please don't teach me what to do with my pc.

Super Baderator DonorGlobal Moderator cullnean's Avatar
    The tower of power, too sweet to be sour, ohhhh yeahh!
    After a week you won't even notice

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Elriche Oshego View Post
    Cullneshi the god of shitposting.

Quote Originally Posted by Itiken View Post
    I haven't really told anyone as i want to achieve something (you cunts don't count <3) first, but ponder this morning : Why are there no "help stopping drinking" aids in the same vein as stopping smoking aids ?
    Stop smoking aids are basically just alternative nicotine delivery methods which don't come with 99% of the other bad shit in cigarette smoke. Alcohol is the bad bit and also the addictive bit so it's a very different problem to solve.

I seem to need less sleep.
    Please don't teach me what to do with my pc.