hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: All you need to know to get started successfully in WT in one posting

All you need to know to get started successfully in WT in one posting

warthunder.com

You have created a new Squadron: Failheap Challenge
    to join click Menu->Squadrons-> find FAILH->apply

currently daily FHC "squads". come come!

type /join #fhc to get in the public chat room

Failheap TS has a War Thunder room where people usually hang out

To learn the game, you may read this:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basic_fighter_maneuvers

HOWEVER, the
    #1 lesson you need to learn for WT, regardless of game mode, is the HIGH JOJO.
    #2 Do not shoot targets from behind, the area that you can hit is too small and slight corrections of the enemy make you miss, see #1, have the energy advantage and high jojo them from sideways and above, thats the largest target and the one hardest to avoid for the enemy
    #3 At roundstart, climb unless you have a very specific rush goal, altitude is passive energy storage, you want that
    #4 Learn to scissor like a dyke
    #5 Do not try to keep the enemy in the middle of your crosshairs all the time, you implicitly give up a better position by doing that. Bind a key to padlock to target and use it
    #6 If you have to turn hard to shoot down or avoid being shot down, your positioning or shooting was bad, it happens but its best to try to avoid it UNLESS you are in a situation where you WANT a turnfight. I.e. if the enemy has a Mig-15 and you have a Biplane, stay between trees literally, forcing him to come close, slow and low and outturn him

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rI3Ps53bLA8

EDIT: Techtrees

Downloading this game now. Need to get a joystick at some point. Also TrackIR
    Last edited by DaneJa; October 30 2013 at 06:21:22 PM.

mouse and keyboard works suprisingly well.
    Then again you're a pilot, so probably not

Quote Originally Posted by Hoggbert View Post
    mouse and keyboard works surprisingly well.
    Then again you're a pilot, so probably not
    I'll give it a shot for sure. I don't plan on picking up a flight control system until after trying the SC dog fighting alpha.

Super Moderator Global Moderator QuackBot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DaneJa View Post

I'll give it a shot for sure. I don't plan on picking up a flight control system until after trying the SC dog fighting alpha.
    Because millenium falcon > flight of the old dog.

So I played a game. It was terrible, I went 6-1 and only died right at the end because I got bored/complacent/cocky. These dudes don't even know what lead/lag pursuit is apparently. Does it rank you against similar elo players?

The game is cool, though, I think it will be good. The default keyboard and mouse setup isn't bad, but it does conflict pretty strongly with the way my brain tries to get me to control the aircraft. The biggest issue is that when I roll or give it some rudder input, it doesn't account for that at all in the mouse control, so I would find myself trying to feed in a bit of rudder to assist a turn and it does things I'm not intending. Worse was that I would roll the plane for maneuvers like a split-s and it would completely fuck up my inverted pull. I also need to find the free look button. All of this should be solvable when I dig into the settings, but any tips would be appreciated.

Also, damn these pilots can pull some G's, especially considering they don't have g-suits.

Super Moderator Global Moderator QuackBot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by metacannibal View Post
    warthunder.com

You have created a new Squadron: Failheap Challenge
    to join click Menu->Squadrons-> find FAILH->apply

currently daily FHC "squads". come come!

type /join #fhc to get in the public chat room

Failheap TS has a War Thunder room where people usually hang out

To learn the game, you may read this:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basic_fighter_maneuvers

HOWEVER, the
    #1 lesson you need to learn for WT, regardless of game mode, is the HIGH JOJO.
    #2 Do not shoot targets from behind, the area that you can hit is too small and slight corrections of the enemy make you miss, see #1, have the energy advantage and high jojo them from sideways and above, thats the largest target and the one hardest to avoid for the enemy
    #3 At roundstart, climb unless you have a very specific rush goal, altitude is passive energy storage, you want that
    #4 Learn to scissor like a dyke
    #5 Do not try to keep the enemy in the middle of your crosshairs all the time, you implicitly give up a better position by doing that. Bind a key to padlock to target and use it
    #6 If you have to turn hard to shoot down or avoid being shot down, your positioning or shooting was bad, it happens but its best to try to avoid it UNLESS you are in a situation where you WANT a turnfight. I.e. if the enemy has a Mig-15 and you have a Biplane, stay between trees literally, forcing him to come close, slow and low and outturn him

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rI3Ps53bLA8

EDIT: Techtrees

Nowhereman are you the new.

So I played a game. It was terrible, I went 6-1 and only died right at the end because I got bored/complacent/cocky. These dudes don't even know what lead/lag pursuit is apparently. Does it rank you against similar elo players?

The game is cool, though, I think it will be good. The default keyboard and mouse setup isn't bad, but it does conflict pretty strongly with the way my brain tries to get me to control the aircraft. The biggest issue is that when I roll or give it some rudder input, it doesn't account for that at all in the mouse control, so I would find myself trying to feed in a bit of rudder to assist a turn and it does things I'm not intending. Worse was that I would roll the plane for maneuvers like a split-s and it would completely fuck up my inverted pull. I also need to find the free look button. All of this should be solvable when I dig into the settings, but any tips would be appreciated.

Also, damn these pilots can pull some G's, especially considering they don't have g-suits.
    There is no elo system.

When using mouse aim to fly there is a little helper called instructor, he basically tries to go where you are pointing with the closest approximation of level flight possible. So when trying to manouver in the vertical you're always fighting him.

Free look is C by default for mouse aim.

With appropriate skills the pilot will be pulling up 20+g's for a short time without severe blackout. Similarly planes will remain intact, only in arcade. In HB and FRB planes will disintegrate at high speed/g loading. It becomes really comical in AB when you see B17's dive bombing from 6k to 1k altitude and pull up in a split second to zoom back up. If you want sensible flying FRB is the way to go (no instructor for anyone, and no mouse aim accuracy). But not many FRB players so long queues and a rather tricky spotting system.
    Last edited by Torashuu; October 31 2013 at 10:57:32 AM.

c for free look

abuse the shit out of it

I also need to find the free look button.
    This is where trackIR becomes extremely useful. It lets you freelook while moving the mouse around to fly the plane. I'd actually get the trackIR before the joystick if I were you.
    i heard you're ideas and their definately good

Quote Originally Posted by dpidcoe View Post
    I also need to find the free look button.
    This is where trackIR becomes extremely useful. It lets you freelook while moving the mouse around to fly the plane. I'd actually get the trackIR before the joystick if I were you.
    After playing for a while I have to agree with you. Additionally rudder pedals then throttles, in that order. Stick is definitely not recommended for this game because of the aiming.

Applied to the squadron.

Can someone tl;dr me how research works? What's all this conversion shit, and do I have to be in the plane with the right tree connections to research the next plane I've selected, or can I fly any plane from that country and still gain research?

Quote Originally Posted by Saul View Post
    Applied to the squadron.

Can someone tl;dr me how research works? What's all this conversion shit, and do I have to be in the plane with the right tree connections to research the next plane I've selected, or can I fly any plane from that country and still gain research?
    just select a plane to research and then play that nation... theres some penalties for trying to unlock stuff with a plane two tiers apart but other than that..

forget about conversion btw its way too expensive, its using rl money to convert free rp to plane stuff

Applied to the squadron.

there's plane-specific research (the plane upgrades) which you only earn by flying the plane itself
    and then there's researching new planes, where any plane contributes but the previous one in the tier gets a bonus to research points on the next model (also noted in the info tooltip when you hover over an aircraft)

and yeah, don't convert (unless you're the son of a saudi sheikh or something)

and don't rush buying new planes if you're low on lions & hit me up if you want to play some arcade together
    Last edited by FatFreddy; July 19 2014 at 12:39:56 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot
    Pastry.. That the best you can do?
    Quote Originally Posted by NotXenosis View Post

M8, i have discussions that spam multiple accounts, you aren't even on my level

play RB cause arcade is terribad and will make you go insane

Play tanks

Quote Originally Posted by FatFreddy View Post
    Applied to the squadron.

there's plane-specific research (the plane upgrades) which you only earn by flying the plane itself
    and then there's researching new planes, where any plane contributes but the previous one in the tier gets a bonus to research points on the next model (also noted in the info tooltip when you hover over an aircraft)

and don't rush buying new planes if you're low on lions & hit me up if you want to play some arcade together
    Gotcha. Had kinda figured it out as I progressed, but good to have it confirmed.

Quote Originally Posted by FatFreddy View Post
    Applied to the squadron.

Gotcha. Had kinda figured it out as I progressed, but good to have it confirmed.
    Also join TS

Not much point when the fucking things keeps crashing. 'File read error' is constant, sometimes after 2 minutes, sometimes after 2 hours. Brand new fucking HD as well and no problems in any other game.

It's fun but I can't be fucked with this ballache every time I want to play.

Not much point when the fucking things keeps crashing. 'File read error' is constant, sometimes after 2 minutes, sometimes after 2 hours. Brand new fucking HD as well and no problems in any other game.

It's fun but I can't be fucked with this ballache every time I want to play.
    Have you tried reinstalling?