hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [TMA] buying my first pair of skis

[TMA] buying my first pair of skis

thinking its about time to buy a pair of my own skis so i can stop renting.

problem is i have no idea what im looking for. im fine with second hand but i just need some idea of what im meant to be looking for. its also the off season here in aus so i could probably find some left over stock from last season for sale.

im 180cm tall so i should be looking for a ski thats 155-160cm long? im also very much still a beginner, haven't had any lessons and just taught myself. just looking for a decent all mountain ski that is forgiving

few ones iv found that are in my preferred price range
    http://aussieskier.com/gear/2014-k2-sight-skis/
    http://aussieskier.com/gear/2014-arm...kis/#yoReviews
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2012-165c...item3a869cd1c1
    Last edited by Dr.Boomtown; October 27 2013 at 11:57:01 PM.
      Spoiler:

Downs, how often do you go skiing? Also, is skiing frequently very affordable?
    Audacter calumniare, semper aliquid haeret

"The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt"
    Bertrand Russell - the Triumph of Stupidity (1933)

"The best lack all conviction, while the worst
    Are full of passionate intensity." -Yeats, 1919

Quote Originally Posted by thebomby View Post
    I find it incredible that a whole country can actually be more retarded than FHC.

Quote Originally Posted by AmaNutin View Post
    Downs, how often do you go skiing? Also, is skiing frequently very affordable?
    laaaast season i went for likee 10 days i think. and of course its not affordable, i live in australia
      Spoiler:

Movember 2011Movember 2012 Nordstern's Avatar
    As a former cross-country skier, I can say that real skiers don't need chairlifts.

Humor aside, why not visit a ski shop and get fitted?
    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm
    Quote Originally Posted by Larkonis Trassler View Post
    WTF I hate white people now...
    Johns Hopkins CSSE COVID-19 Dashboard

Well, I am a pretty big ski-bum (got about 50+ days in the slope per winter now) and I'd say to be vary of tech-demo 2nd-hand skis. I buy ski's 2nd-hand if it's something exotic but stay away from bindings and boots - secondhand bindings can be outright dangerous plus the mountingpoints may be wrong for you. Borrowed alot of skis last year from companies who had mounted 2nd-hand bindings for demo-days and they'd release from the slightest drop, really scary.

But choosing a ski is hard, specially for another skier. However I'd say you ATLEAST want 175cm, probably around the 175-185+ bracket with a waist over 75mm. You won't be doing technical slaloms and short-turns - a longer and wider ski is more stable and comfortable. Pretty much all ski-manufacturers are going towards bigger skis with more rocker, even for your casual resort-skier, so getting a proper "modern" ski is better as you'd be prepared for the "future" to develop your skiing. You only really need to care about brands when you want very specific skis so don't worry about that.

Keywords while searching: All-mountain, tip/tail-rocker, 175-185cm 75mm+ waist radius anything above 17m. Binding-wise you don't want ANYTHING from a tech-demo as they may be worn out. Try and get atleast 12-DIN bindings on mounted plates so you can move them around for your boot-size and you will be fine.

Personally I'd go for a Head ski (if it has to be a big manuf.) and use a pivot/turntable binding (Got one set, saved my wrist from breaking atleast twice) - they allow the heel to rotate as it releases so the stress on the joints are alot less - plus they are bullet-proof. http://www.tetongravity.com/gear/pro...nding/DYN0400/

If you want to throw out alot of cash: a shout-out for my fav manufacturer I test skis for, love these to bits and trust my life on them http://extrem.com/.

Here's a good site to read up on equipment in general: http://www.tetongravity.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Calmdown

This forum is maintained just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Nordstern View Post
    As a former cross-country skier, I can say that real skiers don't need chairlifts.
    TLT + Skins the entire way mate.

Quote Originally Posted by Nordstern View Post

Humor aside, why not visit a ski shop and get fitted?
    good ski shops in aus are few, and expensive. i cant justify handing over a blank cheque to a ski shop and letting them go at it for the amount i actually get to some slopes. also want to do a bit of research so i know what im getting into

Quote Originally Posted by Gaydai View Post
    Well, I am a pretty big ski-bum (got about 50+ days in the slope per winter now) and I'd say to be vary of tech-demo 2nd-hand skis. I buy ski's 2nd-hand if it's something exotic but stay away from bindings and boots - secondhand bindings can be outright dangerous plus the mountingpoints may be wrong for you. Borrowed alot of skis last year from companies who had mounted 2nd-hand bindings for demo-days and they'd release from the slightest drop, really scary.

But choosing a ski is hard, specially for another skier. However I'd say you ATLEAST want 175cm, probably around the 175-185+ bracket with a waist over 75mm. You won't be doing technical slaloms and short-turns - a longer and wider ski is more stable and comfortable. Pretty much all ski-manufacturers are going towards bigger skis with more rocker, even for your casual resort-skier, so getting a proper "modern" ski is better as you'd be prepared for the "future" to develop your skiing. You only really need to care about brands when you want very specific skis so don't worry about that.

Keywords while searching: All-mountain, tip/tail-rocker, 175-185cm 75mm+ waist radius anything above 17m. Binding-wise you don't want ANYTHING from a tech-demo as they may be worn out. Try and get atleast 12-DIN bindings on mounted plates so you can move them around for your boot-size and you will be fine.

Personally I'd go for a Head ski (if it has to be a big manuf.) and use a pivot/turntable binding (Got one set, saved my wrist from breaking atleast twice) - they allow the heel to rotate as it releases so the stress on the joints are alot less - plus they are bullet-proof. http://www.tetongravity.com/gear/pro...nding/DYN0400/

If you want to throw out alot of cash: a shout-out for my fav manufacturer I test skis for, love these to bits and trust my life on them http://extrem.com/.

Here's a good site to read up on equipment in general: http://www.tetongravity.com/
    they look very out of my budget. i would like to keep it under a grand AUD if possible including boots and poles.

is there much benefit on going separate bindings for a beginner skier like me? i can probably count on one hand the amount of times iv been on skis
      Spoiler:

If you want to get it all for that price you might have to triage your cash a bit.

Get proper boots and get them fitted at a shop. This is THE most important thing, if your boots are uncomfortable or doesn't fit right you are will have issues and might even ruin your feet. I'd say spending anything between 300-500€ for new boots at a store is fine. Try and go to off-season sales and you might find a bargain, boot-technology haven't changed alot through the years so getting last years model at 50% is just as good as "the latest". Be sure to try on as many boots as you can as each company is a bit different - be sure to ask for heat-casting when you find your pair if they don't offer it.

Poles and the skis themselves are disposable. You kinda have to get that mindset in the long run. They brake, get worn out and age rather fast. Try and find bargain skis at an after-season sale and buy/"find" cheap poles.

Bindings however are an investment and can last a long time, specially if you get something not 100% plastic. They are there for your safety, much like a helmet or back-protector, spending alittle more for something proper is a wise thing. (You might have a mark-up of 25-40% from your renter-level bindings to a proper model). Seems like that Aussie site only sells Marker bindings, which are popular, but I've had some really sketchy experiences with them. Plus the are heavy :<

Did some searching, found this which is a really good bargain!

http://auski.com.au/index.cfm/page/p...detail/id/7501

Sadly, you are stuck to use salomons "integrated" bindings but they are good, DIN10 might be a bit low if you are going to start jumping/dropping/going big but if you ain't obese and a normal skier they will be fine. They are made towards hardsnow with a bit of tiprocker and not much camber so should still be pretty versatile if you want to go into the sidecountry.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaydai View Post
    Did some searching, found this which is a really good bargain!

http://auski.com.au/index.cfm/page/p...detail/id/7501

Sadly, you are stuck to use salomons "integrated" bindings but they are good, DIN10 might be a bit low if you are going to start jumping/dropping/going big but if you ain't obese and a normal skier they will be fine. They are made towards hardsnow with a bit of tiprocker and not much camber so should still be pretty versatile if you want to go into the sidecountry.
    http://www.rhythmsnowsports.com.au/e...+Enduro+RX+800

any opinions on ex demo gear? i would pump them for some more info before i did purchase, double checking the bindings and stuff.

and would it even be worth getting the RX model at my skill level or would i be better taking a step down to the LX? from what iv read they are a bit more forgiving. and when i say my skill level, i mean im only really starting to get into blue runs.

boots I'm defiantly going to get professionally fit and would rather spend a bit extra on boots than on skis. having to go back and swap my rental boots for wider ones and finding those still to narrow and then having squished feet all weekend has taught me not to cheap out on boots.
    looking at booking a fitting at this place
    http://bumps.com.au/Snow_Skate/Surf/...%20Information
    from rave reviews they sound like one of the best boot fitter in melb
      Spoiler:

Demoskis are usually in very good shape and are only mostly used in a prepped slope and for one season only by good riders, just be vary of the bindings being worn out. Stay away from ex-rental stuff as they can be really worn out from the constant grinding and ruthless renters. Most big renters grinds down the whole underside of the ski to make it smooth after every rental period making it thinner, then you risk ripping into the core if you hit something. Had this happen and it ain't fun refurbishing with filler.

Go for it and spend more on the boots and get a helmet and some fancy goggles.

sent them an email asking the dimensions and for some more detailed pictures. my biggest worry is them not wanting to post them to me and i dont want to drive to Canberra to get em. oh well if i dont get an email back in a day or two il give em a call EDIT: derp it says on the side free postage aus wide

should also email that bumps place and book in a boots fitting so i can sit my boots in my closet for the next 6 months and not use em

edit: just got email back, saying they shipped all their ex demo stuff to japan and wont be available untill next April when it comes back, assuming it doesn't get sold and its all been removed from the site now. QQ

any arguments on getting the RX over the LX? cause i can probably get a set of used LX for under $450 imported from USA aslong as postage doesn't go over $120 but i cant find any more RXs apart from auski
    Last edited by Dr.Boomtown; October 29 2013 at 02:18:21 AM.
      Spoiler:

I'm no salomon expert but in general: the more advanced ski will enable you to push it further but it will also demand more from the skiier - it's only one step up though so don't expect MASSIVE difference as the profiles are pretty much the same. I think the RX has a woodcore, which is a big plus for me as I don't like foam-cores/metal, but might give you import-problems in Australia? Other side of the world for me but I've only heard it's a pain. If you have to choose between new and used - go for new, especially if it's from a rental/demo-shop.

I take it you are in no rush so look around for ~good deals~. If US-imports are viable you could get some nice deals when our/their season ends - specially on some nice high-end gear. (I buy all my ski's on off-season sales and I pay 10-20% of the normal shelfprice, just a matter to be patient and maybe sign up to a few newsletters.)

Wood cores shouldn't be an issue as long as they are treated which they should be when used in skis it's just massive import tax costs that fuck me over. I'm looking at anything between $70 and $250 for shipping a pair of skis from the US. Which would still be cheaper than buying locally in most cases.

No rush at all, I would like to have them before our season starts but I'd rather get a good price.

Other than head what are some brands I should keep an eye out for? And what should I stay well away from
      Spoiler:

This is kinda shitty advice since it preys off of others misfortune (& Luck), but the thing to do around here is wait untill about a month into the season and you will find someone who tore their ACL rage selling their gear.

Well, there are no bad brands really. It's all a matter of taste of what you like, something you get with time I guess. I really dislike Fischer and Rossignol and I've never gotten to terms with Völkl nor a big fan of Salomon. But if you want something "fatter" than your average groomed-ski I got some names. Praxxis (kinda affordable with the low dollar and after-season sale) 4front, Line, Black crows, DPS (really expensive but they are like proper butter compared to margarine), K2, Armada, Hendryx Skis (The god of skimanuf, sadly you have to be an athletic god to ride them to their full capabilities as well), Dynastar makes very good affordable skis (50% lower than most high-end) and is something to look out for, they don't change much from year to year so getting an older pair is viable plus they don't look like a rad park-ski for 14yearolds. I used to swear by Atomic when I did bordercross a few years back. Oh and Faction skis are pretty cool too.

http://www.skis.com/Dynastar-Booster...efault,pd.html
    i can pick up a new pair of these for 400-500 aud at a 178cm length, opinions?
      Spoiler:

Good price but it's a rather boring ski, which defeats the point of not renting to be fair. I think you should keep an lookout for a pair of cheap Cham 87. Amazingly fun and versitile and not so demanding, plus they cost half of many other spoon-shaped skis brand new.

http://www.dynastar.com/GB/GB/cham-8...-freeride.html

I can find a used pair in good condition for around 450 aud but that's only for the next 10 hours. I think I'll just keep an eye out see if anything else comes up in the next few months.

I'm thinking I might be better off getting some boots first. Sign up for some newsletters and hopefully they'll have a sale sometime soon
      Spoiler:

boot status: i have the most difficult feet.

after spending ~5 hours getting fitted over 3 days and two shops i still don't have a boot. i am going back next Saturday for the final fitting.
    he thinks hes got the right boot now and in the right shape but just wanted to give me a couple of days for my feet to recover so we can be sure and i wont really know till i actually ski with them, but i can take them back and he will tweak em so they fit better for no extra cost
      Spoiler: