hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 28 of 127 FirstFirst ... 18252627282930313878 ... LastLast

Thread: Wormhole Space (147 posts deleted and counting)

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan Jameson View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by two step View Post
    just finished wiping Firebird Squadron's home system clean
    Did they stop giving you guys good fights or...?
    Yeah, they never fought us, also, they are generally jerks in local, plus they dishonored a ransom of a corpmember.

They dishonored a ransom on a members pod about 11 months ago. That is a big no-no. Permanent red status.

Edit: jinx TS, you owe me a quafe
    Last edited by E T; November 19 2011 at 09:01:21 PM. Reason: jinx!

Let's just say if their resistance had been as fierce as their smacktalk in local, we'd have been in a tight spot. Hoping the next eviction target are more fun...

See my sig....

plus they dishonored a ransom of a corpmember
    Ah, fair enough.

So like, all this talk of the uncool FBS peeps reminded me of a fun day that happened a while ago that never made it over here. Hopefully interesting, although obviously a bit outdated at this point:

TLDR cool fight is at the end.

Original BR was called "Bloody Saturday".

We (aharm) began the day with an exit to Period Basis. First foray was a quick gank: http://dontshootx.com/killboard/?a=k...ed&kll_id=8184 . Despite not getting a fight, we planned to check in throughout the day for more. However, they quickly closed the hole. Next was a connection to Fountain. Glory be to the nullsec gods! While connections to nullsec are super common, it can sometimes take a bit to find a nullsec that can actually generate kills or a fight. Sometimes the gods laugh at us and provide us with a chain with 5 nullsec exits..... but 3 will be to malpais and another 2 to Oasa. Bleh.

Anyway, I digress. Excited about a nice Fountain exit, we threw together a quick gang and went forth to conquer the terrible Test Alliance that we'd fought a few times before with great success. A few jumps out, we saw a HIC coming up behind us. Someone mentioned a possible Titan drop, which was met with derision: "Titan? Test? I don't think they have any titans." So when the HIC followed us all by itself, we brilliantly charged the HIC and started shooting it at close range. Only someone who normally lives in wspace would be surprised by what happened next: bubble up, cyno up, local jumped by 45: http://dontshootx.com/killboard/?a=k...nt&kll_id=8192 . Fortunately they were a bit scattered with their points and most of our gang escaped. Test was apparently eager to fight, so we reshipped, caused some havoc, and tried to get them to fight us at a wormhole. We had around 15, and they dropped 45 again but were unwilling to pursue us into the wormhole to finish ships off. Result (combines both fleets, bleh - we had 15ish armor ships): http://dontshootx.com/killboard/?a=k...ed&kll_id=8209 . Had they pursued into the hole it'd probably be different, but over the 2 engagements I think both sides got to shoot stuff and have fun and came out fairly even on ~isk war~.

So, this had already been kind of a fun day. However, the next chain resulted in some more ganks: gas miners and then also a Laughing Men gank where we bagged a Navy Mega and a Legion. That isn't all that interesting though. Laughing men are good chaps and will frequently give us a fight, but they had 5 dudes online and we had 12 so whatevah. However, in the middle of our chain there was an exit next to FYOW-, adjacent to M-O in tribute. The M-O you ask? Yes, that one. At this point our chain looked as follows:

Nova -> Some C6 -> C5a -> c5b -> Laughing Men C6

and c5b had the connection to FYOW-. We poked our heads into M-O and lo and behold, people to fight! A gang of 50 ships was chilling in M-O, and since they were mostly canes/drakes, they looked very yummy. However, we still only had like 13 dudes and 13 vs 50 is a bit concerning. However a solution quickly presented itself. "Ham, those guys we just ganked. Why don't you convo them and see if they want to make a joint gang to go fight IRC in the nullsec exit?" Not only were they game, but half of them hopped in t3s - entrusting their isk and their skillpoints into the hands of an unknown (to them) fc and unknown triage pilot. Not only an unknown triage pilot, but a pilot relatively new to pvp triage.

We moved the carrier and part of our 18 man fleet into the nullsec and started trying to get the attention of the IRC gang. Various tricks were tried, including shouting "carrier tackled in FYOW- !" in local. Eventually, pestering them at the station got their attention and they moved off the gate. Yay! Then half of them reshipped into Abaddons. Ugh! As they aligned towards the FYOW- gate, the decision was made to stick it out despite them being a lot heavier than we'd initially anticipated. Count appeared to be 18 friendlies vs 51 hostiles, of which about 25 were in Abaddons and the rest in scattered other ships. Throughout the hostile reship and then the hostile fleet warping to the gate, the Laughing Men guys never wavered. Concerned? Probably, but if so they didn't voice it.

Battle started and success balanced on a razor's edge. Initially they primaried T3s, and due to the alpha abbadon fit they were getting them very low but just barely they weren't popping them. Initially, armor was spiking between 100% and 5% each round of fire. A few had light structure damage, while we furiously worked away at clearing out the lighter ships to reduce incoming dps. Then they switched to the carrier, who was juggling his capacitor at peak recharge while popping drugs and overheating reps to tank the incoming dps. After the carrier held and we'd cleaned most of their lighter ships and started working on Abaddons, the IRC FC called an evac and most of the remaining ships got out. Throughout the fight, the Laughing Men folks who we'd previously only seen in our crosshairs acted calm, followed primaries, and fit in seamlessly. I think the fact that wspace involves a lot of team work helps a lot with this, since you are almost always acting as part of a team in some manner rather than just running solo for isk and occasionally coming together for pvp like many nullsec organizations.

After it was all said and done, the BR looked very one sided. However, one of a variety of things could have changed slightly and it'd have been one sided in the other direction. Slightly better ships for the sub BS, better target calling by their FC, slightly less dps from us, heck even a few more w/ T2 guns on their abaddons might have done it. Overall, a great fight. Oh yeah, link: http://dontshootx.com/killboard/?a=k...nt&kll_id=8249 (dram was en route in from empire, heh)

p.s. normally there would be cool Taylor Swift pictures and this would have been posted a while ago, but Tai Paktu is being all "I'm unsubbed!" or somethin, so blame him.
    Last edited by Vilgan; November 21 2011 at 02:53:11 AM.

The sole purpose of the sabre in this fight, was so we actually had something to lose, so we could get a good accounting of their numbers for upcoming BR. True Story.....

Donor
    No huge battle report, mostly because there wasn't a battle, but we just finished wiping Firebird Squadron's home system clean. Loot still needs to be counted up, but we did manage to hit them before they could clear out all their hangars, and got a fairly significant haul of T3 production stuff and whatnot. They spent a day or so self destructing ships, including an archon and a Revelation. We also managed to get some great deals on a couple of Bhaalgorns and a few T3s.

Looking forward to the patch day, player owned customs offices should be a great extortion tool...
    You breezed through our system on the way out from doing that I think, it caused some sweaty palms in corp until we realised you were just passing through.

FBS were pretty dickish to some random mining Myrm guy so I'm not at all surprised they rubbed you guys up the wrong way. For a second time wasn't it?
    Last edited by Durzel; November 23 2011 at 05:20:53 PM.

still red from the first time. they denied us a great deal of loot last time. it left us wanting much more. this loot haul is at ~8 bil and rising

Quote Originally Posted by Vilgan View Post
    p.s. normally there would be cool Taylor Swift pictures and this would have been posted a while ago, but Tai Paktu is being all "I'm unsubbed!" or somethin, so blame him.
    Do you still love me Vilgan?

Quote Originally Posted by Durzel View Post
    No huge battle report, mostly because there wasn't a battle, but we just finished wiping Firebird Squadron's home system clean. Loot still needs to be counted up, but we did manage to hit them before they could clear out all their hangars, and got a fairly significant haul of T3 production stuff and whatnot. They spent a day or so self destructing ships, including an archon and a Revelation. We also managed to get some great deals on a couple of Bhaalgorns and a few T3s.

Looking forward to the patch day, player owned customs offices should be a great extortion tool...
    You breezed through our system on the way out from doing that I think, it caused some sweaty palms in corp until we realised you were just passing through.

FBS were pretty dickish to some random mining Myrm guy so I'm not at all surprised they rubbed you guys up the wrong way. For a second time wasn't it?
    Thats funny, because on our way in, we ran into these guys http://dontshootx.com/killboard/?a=k...ed&kll_id=9120 We almost weren't going to stop and and them down, because we were rushing to get in an EOL hole.

Since it’s been a while (thankfully) since I led a fleet into total destruction (It’s not something I like to make a habit of, because, darn it hurts) I thought I would write a BR to deconstruct it in my mind. I find it useful to write down my mistakes, helps me not to repeat them – at least for a while. It’s more of an internal BR but thought it might make an interesting read.

When going balls deep ends badly (or: how I got too cocky and paid the price).

Some Russians decided to invade one our C2’s on Friday, and the timing couldn’t have been worse for me - some guy who was painting the cable box on our street on Friday had apparently put some wires back in the wrong order so I was without internet until the emergency engineers were called on Saturday night. It seems broadband is an equally vital utility these days as water and electricity, people to tend to spaz out without it, not sure what that says about our society.

Anyhow – so the Russians RF one of our poses and we return the favour overnight when their numbers are low. The following afternoon they are preceding to RF the next pos when our friends formed up to welcome them to the WH properly. Since we were slow off the bat in giving them a welcome we decided to do it in style. Due to Mr I-don’t-know-what-i’m-doing-with-all-these-wires I was not present, but apparently the FC couldn’t call names fast enough.
    Everyone went back to their own business while the Russians pulled out so fast they forgot their staging towers.

We were chilling on Sunday waiting for the friendly POS to come out of RF to make sure the Russians didn’t show up again to avenge their losses the day before when one of our scouts stumbled across some guys laying siege to another entirely separate WH. They seemed to have RF two poses and had quite a sizable presence. A quick kill board check shows that they have a good size group that will pull big numbers so a fight is almost guaranteed. So the choice is sit and babysit a POS rep or go brawling.

The latter choice is the most obvious. Scout reports about a dozen BS, couple of Cloakies, 1 Guardian and a couple of drakes. Fine, we should be able to handle that easy. The enemy is assembling to finish the tower off and are positioning themselves deep within their own rape cage along with an orca so the plan is simple, jump through the highsec (plenty of mass left for our 14 man fleet, burn out of the T2 large bubble they have anchored on it and warp straight to the enemy BS fleet and start pewing. Simple no? Besides, we had just all watched a sexy R&K video that made taking on bigger numbers seem the obvious thing to do right? *shakes fists at Lord Maldoror* Well yes but we made a number of tiny errors that a more experienced group would not have that made massed up into one big one mistake.

My initial plan was to hold at the WH and let the BS warp right on top of us at the edge of their T2 large bubble, with our logi holding on the WH. In haste and bloodlust we switched plans and ploughed straight into them. On landing it was immediately obvious their numbers had swelled (critical error), probably more USTZ people logging on (as it was early for them) closer to the POS timer and the scout had not actually checked the tower in a while (it was off dir from the b274). They outnumbered us 2-1 easily in heavy DPS battleships. Initially it went well with the logis easily repping each other. We primaried a dominix who got into low armour before he started repping back up. It was at this point I realised they had two guardians not one, and when I saw a third warping in I realised we wouldn’t have enough DPS to beak the BS. We switched to a guardian and overloaded on him. His structure was almost scratched before the third guardian had landed properly and started reppping. Things were not looking good. They were made worse by the fact that the BS had got themselves organised now and were capping out two logis while neuting a third.

Shit, I thought. I had called everyone to ball up on landing (although had assumed that the falcon that was with us would have cancelled the fleet warp not landed with the group – doh). This placed the logi all in neuting range of the BS. Bad move, they capped out two of the logi fast and the combined DPS of a 40man BS fleet wasted the third fast. At this point I knew we were fucked, we primaried a maelstrom as we aligned out. I hesitated to fleet warp us out too long and they sensed we were bailing quickly and spread points. The other two logi vanished from my watch list and I gave the order to bail. Unfortunately our HIC had accidentally bubbled seconds before I called the warp out so our battlecruiser hulls died in a fire. We got out 1 proteus, 1 guardian, 1 fleet stabber and the devoter. Everything else died horribly.

http://eve-kill.net/?a=kill_related&kll_id=11576252 (note the tower was nothing to do with us we were there for a fight).

We hurried out of the B274 and I buried my face in my hands. Still, a very good learning experience and the adrenalin of putting yourself in a situation where your out gunned and outnumbered is well... awesome. The main thing I learnt was as FC, try not to fill too many roles at once and focus on what is going on on grid, and stick with my gut instinct.
    Last edited by Artjay; November 26 2011 at 11:00:37 AM.
    The existence of space means the existence of pirates.

People still using WH Plunderers channel? Or has it gone dead or been replaced by another?

Quote Originally Posted by BroBurger View Post
    People still using WH Plunderers channel? Or has it gone dead or been replaced by another?
    I haven't had it open for some months. Its mostly lurkers keeping tabs on what's going on last time I checked.
    The existence of space means the existence of pirates.

Good story, though. I've seen you guys getting pretty active in wormholes as of late--better luck next time!

No BR for you guys at this time but, I did have some good intel fall into my lap this week. I hope it nets many of you some free dreads as it has for us.

Hydra Reloaded as some of you might know have been living numerous c6 systems with 1-2 players in each of them only. These systems are typically undefended asides from the occasional death, dick or Estar setup.

Last weekend we grab yet another dreadnaught from one of these 2 man farming systems. So, if you see one of these systems I highly recommend you stick around for a couple days and get some easy loot.

That is all
    Last edited by E T; November 30 2011 at 03:33:28 PM.

c6...1-2players...farming... How's this working? Radars? But you say dreads...

1-2 people 2-3 toons each. its not impossible. infact once you understand some things about wh pve it becomes quite easy. i would assume their group goes something like this 1 triage carrier, 2 dreads, 1 painter/webber ship, 1 extra carrier for getting the final spawn and 1-2 sub capital dps ships for cruisers and frigs. the person running the subcap dps ship can be the 2nd carrier as well so that the group can be as lean as possible.

Crap, we found one of those this summer! Should have whipped it, whip it real good.

Unfortunately there are no more inactive Hydra WH teams left.