hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them

Thread: Rock Climbing. It's awesome.

Rock Climbing. It's awesome.

Last few weeks I just started rock climbing with a mate who's moderately experienced. Have been 4 times now, following some euro grading system i started off on 3's to get used to the kit, spent a week on 4's having fun playing about on overhangs, and am now on 5+'s having to think a lot more about my center of gravity and body positioning. shit is addictive. each week there's one climb i can't do and think "i will beat that fucker next week when rested" and get such a buzz when i complete that climb the next week.

Any more experienced climbers about on the failheaps? Got any pointers for a newbie or general stories to share?

(my forearms hurt)

Quote Originally Posted by Shiodome View Post
    (my forearms hurt)
    That's about the extent of my rock climbing knowledge.
    Contract stuff to Seraphina Amaranth.

"You give me the awful impression - I hate to have to say - of someone who hasn't read any of the arguments against your position. Ever."

Super Moderator Global Moderator QuackBot's Avatar
    Last few weeks I just started rock climbing with a mate who's moderately experienced. Have been 4 times now, following some euro grading system i started off on 3's to get used to the kit, spent a week on 4's having fun playing about on overhangs, and am now on 5+'s having to think a lot more about my center of gravity and body positioning. shit is addictive. each week there's one climb i can't do and think "i will beat that fucker next week when rested" and get such a buzz when i complete that climb the next week.

Any more experienced climbers about on the failheaps? Got any pointers for a newbie or general stories to share?

(my forearms hurt)
    There's more than one.

(my forearms hurt)
    I've done gym climbing, but it's not the same. I don't have the equipment nor transportation to reach the good climbing walls, though.
    Audacter calumniare, semper aliquid haeret

"The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt"
    Bertrand Russell - the Triumph of Stupidity (1933)

"The best lack all conviction, while the worst
    Are full of passionate intensity." -Yeats, 1919

Quote Originally Posted by thebomby View Post
    I find it incredible that a whole country can actually be more retarded than FHC.

One term in school we went to a climbing centre for PE and one lesson I almost killed the kid I was belaying for by fiddling with the mechanism and he fell off when I wasn't looking. That was fun.

Been climbing about a year, only just started outside stuff in the past month though. Top roping I've gotten a 7b done messily, 6c plus best redpoint, b plus for lead. Outside seems to be a lot harder in general, trad is psychologically knackering, sport the routes are just a lot harder to read generally, more fun though.

In terms of tips, the best thing is to climb with people better than yourself, seems to help a shit ton.
    "But the vast majority of this forum is European and/or highly urbanized and quite liberal in their firearms views. Take this discussion to ih8mud.com (Toyota Land Cruiser forum) or even knifeforums.com and you'd see the opposite."
    -OrangeAfroMan

I've only been a few times, really enjoyed it though each time. I'm the right build for it which helps.
    Quote Originally Posted by Devec
    Cool09 is the cancer that is corrupting our society and poisoning our children.

WoT: Redglare[VPG]

am surprised more gamers don't climb, it's essentially a tricky platform game with built in exercise :P

the thing limiting me at the moment is really grip strength. if i want to complete a tougher climb it has to be at the start of a session as my forearms tire quickly and can't do shit by the end of 3 hours. just bought a powerball pro on a mates recommendation to work on that grip while at home.

also, climbing gyms are full of hot women. i always wondered where they were all hiding.

the thing limiting me at the moment is really grip strength. if i want to complete a tougher climb it has to be at the start of a session as my forearms tire quickly and can't do shit by the end of 3 hours. just bought a powerball pro on a mates recommendation to work on that grip while at home.
    So, when you sort that out and your forearm muscles are all awesome and strong your problem will be tendon / ligament strength because they take longer to harden up. And if you push them too far you don't feel tired, the new muscle will be strong enough to tear them and you'll be out for ages. Don't try hanging off one finger for a while even if you think your muscles are up to it.

Also, stretch, flexibility is important. The gym I used to go to had one crazy awesome old dude, like maybe 70 years old who could climb like a goddamn gecko. Also used to show up us younger folks by going halfway up a chimney, then stopping to do the splits to > 180 degrees (As in ankles higher than his pelvis) and make faces at us.

-O
    I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those Thukkers, that way I wouldn't have to have any goddamn stupid useless conversations with anybody.
    Failing the Voight-Kampff test, one tortoise at a time.

Donor
    I suck at rock climbing. It was part of my excercise regime when i was in the army. While fun i had the tendancy to stick my butt out giving me fucked up center of gravity. I could muscle my way through but anything past basic skills meant i would fail hard.

Though it saddens me to realize how unbuff i am now. I had to coimb things without using my legs in order to call it a day. I can't do that to save my life now

Rock climbing is pretty cool. Coming down not so much.

Started indoor climbing. It's fun.

(my forearms hurt)

Movember 2011Movember 2012 Nordstern's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NoirAvlaa View Post
    Started indoor climbing. It's fun.

(my forearms hurt)
    Stop climbing with your arms and start climbing with your legs. Arms should pull only when your legs can't push.

Rookie mistake, I know. I did it wrong for years.
    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm
    Quote Originally Posted by Larkonis Trassler View Post
    WTF I hate white people now...

Yeh people were telling me that. When do I regain control of my forearms then?

When they get stronger. God speed. Caffeine and HMB supplements can reduce muscle soreness.

Nothing beats a good forearm pump though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Mason
    It is absurd that we are capable of witnessing a 40,000 year old system of gender oppression begin to dissolve before our eyes yet still see the abolition of a 200 year old economic system as an unrealistic utopia.