hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: [TMA] California

Super Chillerator Global Moderator teds :D's Avatar
    full of benders & electric cars

Quote Originally Posted by AmaNutin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ValorousBob View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by I Legionnaire View Post
    If you want to see the finest women the world has to offer take a walk through the Berkeley campus. It's like a mecca.
    LOLWAT

Sorry man, I don't have yellow fever. Try Huntington Beach, Newport Beach, La Jolla or something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by F*** My Aunt Rita View Post
    If you find yourself anywhere near barstow start taking drugs and don't stop until you're passed it.
    Don't stop until you're well past Bakersfield/Modesto/Stockton, depending on which direction you're driving.
    Unfortunately a lot of girls in the Bay area seem to think having an average or bordering on obese body type is normal or athletic. Not to mention that women in the bay area seem to have very high expectations for the guys they date (if they look halfway decent).
    Seriously? I never really noticed that.

Quote Originally Posted by Larkonis Trassler View Post
    More like Commiefornia.
    Probably why we're the best state.

smuggo
    Probably why we're the best state.
    Best for gun crime.

Best for degeneracy

#rekt.

Those mostly happen in the shitty central valley cities that no one goes to. And gun crime? You sure about that? Per capita California is behind most of the southern states, D.C., and a few others.

Quote Originally Posted by Eard View Post
    If you go to San Fran: http://donpistos.com/_eat/pages/about.html go on a weekend lunch, get bottomless drinks and as many al pastor tacos as you can eat, take rest of day to recover from the amazingness of said tacos
    Also there's a German restaurant in SF called Supencuche or something and it's pretty fuckin good. Expensive/long wait though unfortunately.
    As the local SF FHC nerd, I have been to suppenküche before and it is very good for breakfasts or brunches. Dinners, not so much. Also, there are excellent mexican (authentic, not burritos/taco shit), korean, and some other bakery/breweries I know that are around Irving.

I'd be glad to give more advice by PMs, listing good bars/restaurants is a potentially wasted activity if you don't take note.
    As the other local SF FHC nerd, I can confirm the awesomeness of said breakfasts/brunches.

Also, Dolores Park.

'nother SHC local (how many of us are there now?)

Quote Originally Posted by walrus View Post
    Bar: http://smugglerscovesf.com/trapdoor/

Smuggler's Cove
    San Francisco

You're having: an Expedition

(in the take-home mug)

On the outside, there's nothing—a bland, unmarked storefront on a quiet side street. Inside, there's a wooden pirate ship contorted in such a way that it fits into a concrete cube, with a bar as cockpit, another belowdecks, and a little seating area aloft. The bartender is flailing about like a heavy-metal drummer, desperately beating eight, ten, fourteen ingredients into towering, elaborately garnished concoctions. Strange words fly about—hogo, agricole, solera,orgeat—and the heady perfume of distilled sugarcane fills the air. Tiki. But, of course, you can't wander into Smuggler's Cove by accident. As San Francisco's and perhaps the nation's reigning Tiki bar, it draws a crowd almost every night, and you've got to wait outside until there's space. It's worth the wait. (Tip: If the drinks are too sweet—even the best Tiki drinks, and these are the best, tend to lay on the sugar—it's got one of the world's great sipping-rum collections.)

650 Gough Street; 415-869-1900
    Someone knows about my favorite bar!

It's not cheap but unless you have inhuman capacity (I.E. mine) you probably can get fairly drunk off of three drinks here.

Quote Originally Posted by I Legionnaire View Post
    If you want to see the finest women the world has to offer take a walk through the Berkeley campus. It's like a mecca.
    LOLWAT

Sorry man, I don't have yellow fever. Try Huntington Beach, Newport Beach, La Jolla or something like that.

If you find yourself anywhere near barstow start taking drugs and don't stop until you're passed it.
    Don't stop until you're well past Bakersfield/Modesto/Stockton, depending on which direction you're driving.
    Capitola, beach (adjacent to Santa Cruz) is where you want to go. With any luck the weather will be decent still (here in the north part of the state beach weather is less common, but Santa Cruz has more than it's fair share). There's lots of bars and eateries in SC, it's a college town so the nightlife is pretty good, the cops are weird, I smoked out with one once, another time one stole my weed...

For stuff to see: there's two world class aquariums in the area, both are must see IMO, in Monterrey, just south of SC is The Monterrey bay aquarium, probably among the best anywhere. In San Francisco is the Stienhart Acadamy of Sciences, it's mostly an aquarium but has a planetarium and small natural history museum attached. Also just across the plaza from the Stienhart is the DeYoung one of the best art museums anywhere. Both of those are located in Golden Gate Park which is sort of like SF's central park, itself worth a visit.

I would say try to see a Giants game at AT&T park but the season's over :S

There's honestly so much to cover I'm only scratching the surface.

Quote Originally Posted by Larkonis Trassler View Post
    More like Commiefornia.
    confirming. Also, SF is a terrible place and full of self absorbed hipsters.

Yosemite is worth a visit for sure though. Even camp there for a day or two (get reservations) so you have time to play around with the river and hike some of the trails and stuff. Don't go in on a weekend if you can help it, because you'll spend like 4 hours sitting in traffic on the 2 lane road to get in and out of the place from all the day hikers and stuff.
    i heard you're ideas and their definately good

Quote Originally Posted by DevilDude View Post
    Capitola, beach (adjacent to Santa Cruz) is where you want to go. With any luck the weather will be decent still (here in the north part of the state beach weather is less common, but Santa Cruz has more than it's fair share). There's lots of bars and eateries in SC, it's a college town so the nightlife is pretty good, the cops are weird, I smoked out with one once, another time one stole my weed...
    Like I said before, chill as fuck. The cops used to make people leave Porter Meadows (super popular college smoke spot, location of 420 event) at like 3am every night, but they'd warn us where the campus police were waiting to ambush us so we wouldn't get caught. Was a total mindfuck the first time it happened to me.

The main bar in SC is The Catalyst, it gets a lot of popular artists doing shows there. Everyone from EDM people like Major Lazor and Bassnectar to rappers like Too Short, Snoop Dawg, etc.

EDIT: Posted this before I think, but it'll help make our point about Santa Cruz.

Pretty sure that kid suffered no legal consequences. Also my friend is a bystander in that video. \o/
    Last edited by ValorousBob; October 8 2013 at 06:23:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dpidcoe View Post
    Yosemite is worth a visit for sure though. Even camp there for a day or two (get reservations) so you have time to play around with the river and hike some of the trails and stuff. Don't go in on a weekend if you can help it, because you'll spend like 4 hours sitting in traffic on the 2 lane road to get in and out of the place from all the day hikers and stuff.
    Note that several of the more famous Yosemite hikes (like half dome) involve climbing from 4000 feet to 8800 feet which is a significant effort if you aren't fit/prepared/equipped/used to the elevation. Also you need to buy a ticket for the final 800 foot ascent along the cables before hand and it may not be open in April if there are late snows. The hike does take you up two great waterfalls in the first half though which are both worth seeing. Yosemite falls is less of a climb, at just +3000 feet, but steep switchbacks all the way. Hiking the northern edge of Hetch Hetchy to Wapama Falls is much more relaxed and it's quite pretty.

Quote Originally Posted by Nax View Post
    Note that several of the more famous Yosemite hikes (like half dome) involve climbing from 4000 feet to 8800 feet which is a significant effort if you aren't fit/prepared/equipped/used to the elevation. Also you need to buy a ticket for the final 800 foot ascent along the cables before hand and it may not be open in April if there are late snows. The hike does take you up two great waterfalls in the first half though which are both worth seeing. Yosemite falls is less of a climb, at just +3000 feet, but steep switchbacks all the way. Hiking the northern edge of Hetch Hetchy to Wapama Falls is much more relaxed and it's quite pretty.
    Yeah I've done Halfdome, and Tuolome meadows, really tough hikes, basically unless you're an experienced hiker or a triathlete I would try them Tuolome takes two days, and halfdome is just possible in one day if you train for it or are already very fit. It involves as stated going from 4000 to 8800 feet, but the real killer is that it the trail is over 9 miles, so the round trip is like 19 miles in one day, on foot, over rough terrain, and the last pottable water is about a mile and a half in.

Best advice I can give on halfdome is to get yourself one of those hand pump water purifiers, that way you don't have to carry a couple of gallons on your back just to stay hydrated.

Moderator Moderator F*** My Aunt Rita's Avatar
    Whereever particular mexicans congregate.
    Halfdome was a letdown for me. Way too many people to actually enjoy it.

Plus reps all around. The info about Halfdome is great, because it's something I'd really like to see (sorry F*** My Aunt Rita). I think the group is fairly fit so we should be able to manage it, if we give ourselves enough time, and I can convince people to go see it.

Any ideas for accommodation? Or is it all fairly standard? This is the first time I've traveled in the US.

Fancomicidolkostümier- ungsspielgruppenzusammenkunft
    Quote Originally Posted by Mythago View Post
    Any ideas for accommodation? Or is it all fairly standard? This is the first time I've traveled in the US.
    When I was in SF, I stayed at http://www.adelaidehostel.com/, a+ hostel IMO.
      Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by RazoR View Post
    But islamism IS a product of class warfare. Rich white countries come into developing brown dictatorships, wreck the leadership, infrastructure and economy and then act all surprised that religious fanaticism is on the rise.
    Also:
    Quote Originally Posted by Tellenta View Post
    walrus isnt a bad poster.
    Quote Originally Posted by cullnean View Post
    also i like walrus.
    Yer a hoot

Larkonis Trassler is an antisemite:
    https://bit.ly/3t3NfHs

yeah, we avoided those popular places. renting bikes and just riding around for the day was fun. also river intertubing/rafting (100F air temp, 40F water temp) was also fun, whenever we came to a bridge one of my friends made it a point to swim to shore, run ahead, and jump off when his raft caught up.
    i heard you're ideas and their definately good

I am the 99.99998% Tyrus Tenebros's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Exortius View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Eard View Post
    If you go to San Fran: http://donpistos.com/_eat/pages/about.html go on a weekend lunch, get bottomless drinks and as many al pastor tacos as you can eat, take rest of day to recover from the amazingness of said tacos
    Also there's a German restaurant in SF called Supencuche or something and it's pretty fuckin good. Expensive/long wait though unfortunately.
    As the local SF FHC nerd, I have been to suppenküche before and it is very good for breakfasts or brunches. Dinners, not so much. Also, there are excellent mexican (authentic, not burritos/taco shit), korean, and some other bakery/breweries I know that are around Irving.

I'd be glad to give more advice by PMs, listing good bars/restaurants is a potentially wasted activity if you don't take note.
    As the other local SF FHC nerd, I can confirm the awesomeness of said breakfasts/brunches.

Also, Dolores Park.
    Holy fucking shit Exo posted.
    I tried to be cool and all I got was a lousy warning about my sig being too big.

Moderator Moderator F*** My Aunt Rita's Avatar
    Whereever particular mexicans congregate.
    yeah, we avoided those popular places. renting bikes and just riding around for the day was fun. also river intertubing/rafting (100F air temp, 40F water temp) was also fun, whenever we came to a bridge one of my friends made it a point to swim to shore, run ahead, and jump off when his raft caught up.
    Confirming innertubing/rafting. Had a fucking blast doing that on the King river. Had so much fun we forgot that all the distance covered would have to be made up to get back to the cars. I mean who would want to pick up 8 wet half naked teenage boys with innertubes smelling of booze and weed in the middle of a forest trying to hitchhike back up the canyon? Apparently everyone.

Confirming innertubing/rafting. Had a fucking blast doing that on the King river. Had so much fun we forgot that all the distance covered would have to be made up to get back to the cars. I mean who would want to pick up 8 wet half naked teenage boys with innertubes smelling of booze and weed in the middle of a forest trying to hitchhike back up the canyon? Apparently everyone.
    Confirming rafting is sick. Wide range of places to raft from casual/party shit like Floatopia at Chico to the Klamath up north. I did a 3 day rafting/kayaking trip on the Klamath when I was like 12 or something and it was awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrus Tenebros View Post
    Holy fucking shit Exo posted.

Quick question about travelling around: how expensive is it to hire a car? Most of the group will be under 25, apart from myself, but I don't drive. How good is the public transport system getting to places like Yosemite and further outside of the city itself?

Quick question about travelling around: how expensive is it to hire a car? Most of the group will be under 25, apart from myself, but I don't drive. How good is the public transport system getting to places like Yosemite and further outside of the city itself?
    Do you mean to rent a car for a few days, or hire a driving service? Renting a car isn't too pricey but it all depends on what size car you rent.

If you want to hire a limo service its going to be expensive, especially with something like a day trip to Yosemite.

I don't recall any 'public transit' per se to Yosemite, but there are plenty of coach companies that do trips there & the tickets are resonable. Just don't get sucked into a tour package; Yosemite & the surrounding areas are flat out amazing & are much better enjoyed at your own pace.

Personally I would recommend renting a car, assuming someone in your party can drive. There is a ton of amazing places you can hit on the drive up to Yosemite; Mono lake, Mammoth National Park & The Devils Post Pile, Grand Sequoia National Park; and than you can head back following the PCH down the coast & hit some other nice places like Monteray Bay.

Quote Originally Posted by Straight Hustlin View Post
    Do you mean to rent a car for a few days, or hire a driving service? Renting a car isn't too pricey but it all depends on what size car you rent.

If you want to hire a limo service its going to be expensive, especially with something like a day trip to Yosemite.

I don't recall any 'public transit' per se to Yosemite, but there are plenty of coach companies that do trips there & the tickets are resonable. Just don't get sucked into a tour package; Yosemite & the surrounding areas are flat out amazing & are much better enjoyed at your own pace.

Personally I would recommend renting a car, assuming someone in your party can drive. There is a ton of amazing places you can hit on the drive up to Yosemite; Mono lake, Mammoth National Park & The Devils Post Pile, Grand Sequoia National Park; and than you can head back following the PCH down the coast & hit some other nice places like Monteray Bay.
    No the plan is to rent a car for us to drive. We have just heard that it's quite expensive if you are under 25 and trying to hire something. Would only need something to fit 4 people and some luggage. We are doing a field class around Monteray Bay so probably looking to go elsewhere in the area.