hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: LoL or Dota 2, which should I play, and why?

My personal preference is LoL, mainly because I find the UI more satisfying and I feel like I have more control over my champion.

I tried dota, but it's more difficult to differentiate between what champions your facing, and attack animations, so it's more difficult to prepare for an enemy's attacks and get a better read on them. Don't really like the courier system, or the inability to recall whenever you like.

Sent from the ol' dog 'n' bone

Ive played alot of both games, they both have their good and bad points but objectively I do think Dota2 is the better game. However I can also see that its a harder game to learn and initially get into, partly because it lacks the rigid meta of League, which conversely is a large part of what makes the game more interesting to me.

big diiiiiiiiick Movember 2012Donor Dark Flare's Avatar
    play lol if you're terrible at video games
    Quote Originally Posted by Amantus
    whats tyhe appear of a shnitifuck cu nt eve onlio9ne corpotraTION DICKOLHEAD FUCKIN AS

To further prove Dark Flare point.
    People who play lol:

- XenosisReaper

People who dont play lol:

Mostly everybody else.

Quote Originally Posted by evil edna View Post
    Ive played alot of both games, they both have their good and bad points but objectively I do think Dota2 is the better game. However I can also see that its a harder game to learn and initially get into, partly because it lacks the rigid meta of League, which conversely is a large part of what makes the game more interesting to me.
    Dota is that hard to get into spend an hour or 2 reading play a couple of games against bots and have fun.

Never played a MOBA before and I can get into Dota 2 just fine.

Sure I don't know what every hero does but MMR ensures I'm against people who are similarly ignorant.

and I'm a retard

Quote Originally Posted by Swiss View Post
    Never played a MOBA before and I can get into Dota 2 just fine.

Sure I don't know what every hero does but MMR ensures I'm against people who are similarly ignorant.

and I'm a retard
    Or you can play bloodseeker/huskar and just dont give a fuck and gank everybody in sight

This may get me shot down as some kinda troll, lol, its totally not to be. I will admit my experience with dota is small. Both are excellent games; free to play and try both.

I have found Dota to be more "mechanically complex" in terms of the rules of the game systems, the fluid meta etc. League i find the champions (in general), more "twitchy" to play and slightly faster paced in general, kinda like you are playing Dota light, with a fighting games properties (combos, skillshots etc). There are also very few chance based mechanics in lol in comparison to dota. Lol also breaks you in VERY slowly as it limits your exposure to champions/heros in the begining where as dota throws all 100+ champs at you right at the begining.
    Dont dam me when i speak a piece of mind; cause silence isnt golden when i am holding it inside.
    Quote Originally Posted by W0lf Crendraven View Post
    I always read your name as tinder-mom

The tower of power, too sweet to be sour, ohhhh yeahh!
    Do u like Russians?

tapa4
    Quote Originally Posted by W0lf Crendraven View Post
    She has gotten a lot less hot now that she isnt Hermione anymore tbh.

Quote Originally Posted by cullnean View Post
    Do u like Russians as 'allies'?

tapa4
    fyp

I prefer LoL mostly because it lets you see a bit more on the screen. I tried playing DOTA and got frustrated when the fov didn't even cover the range of my abilities. I do like the secret shops and courier in DOTA, though. Also seems to be a lot more pets in DOTA (the dude with the bear he summons/loads with items is awesome).

Quote Originally Posted by DaneJa View Post
    I prefer LoL mostly because it lets you see a bit more on the screen. I tried playing DOTA and got frustrated when the fov didn't even cover the range of my abilities. I do like the secret shops and courier in DOTA, though. Also seems to be a lot more pets in DOTA (the dude with the bear he summons/loads with items is awesome).
    The variety of DOTA champions is distinctly wider than LoL.

DOTA has some really easy champs to pick up and be good with, and some extremely difficult to potentially impossible to truely unleash their true potential. LoL has a few really easy champs and some which require good timing/skill shot predictions.

i was gold in like s1/s2 in league and i can guarantee that dota has a much higher skill ceiling and is much more satisfying to play. many heroes are much deeper and not having to grind is always a plus. also items play a much bigger role than, hurr more passive damage

So which, if any (or both) did you pick out of interest, and why?

Just curious.

call me the asstrynamer cos im always tryna get that ass
    i play only smite

call me the asstrynamer cos im always tryna get that ass
    and i think its pathetic that smite, the only "true" successor to the moba genre, is not even being considered in this thread

Demigod is on steam now we can all switch to that, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Anzoxe View Post
    i was gold in like s1/s2 in league and i can guarantee that dota has a much higher skill ceiling and is much more satisfying to play.
    This is not really true. I mean for you, who I can guess spent a lot of time playing both games, it is. But for a new player higher skill ceiling is actually a terrible thing. Sure, if you feel like investing 1000 games od Dota2 to be even remotely good, assuming you can achieve that at all (you do not lack in mechanics, multitasking, objective picking, map control, game knowladge etc etc etc), yeah pick it. Lol is not that time investing, you can get kinda okay even before you hit lvl 30. Of course if you got 6 years of dota 1 experience this point is not true but from an average gamer fresh perspective...

As I said before, I have plated both games, played both Hon and Dota 1 a lot too. Still believe both games from title are great. Picking one of those you already picked well. Rest is down to preferences. How much time you can invest. How important being good at it is for you. What types of graphics suit you better. What system of champion and content unlocking you prefer. Just pick the one you like more from first few games and you get it. Doh.
    Last edited by Voulture; October 31 2013 at 02:02:46 PM.

i was gold in like s1/s2 in league and i can guarantee that dota has a much higher skill ceiling and is much more satisfying to play. many heroes are much deeper and not having to grind is always a plus. also items play a much bigger role than, hurr more passive damage
    If you were only gold surely you didn't hit the skill ceiling then?
    D&D is where I learned that a longsword is a one handed slashing weapon.

Quote Originally Posted by Irion View Post
    If you were only gold surely you didn't hit the skill ceiling then?
    This is a very valid and usually overlooked point.

Unless you're diamond 1 or challenger, you haven't really hit the skill limit in LoL, since you're still being consistently beaten by a lot of players.