hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: LoL or Dota 2, which should I play, and why?

LoL or Dota 2, which should I play, and why?

Title sums it up, thinking of playing one of these, but not sure which.
    Not gonna bother with wasting countless hours to try both out, to form my own informed opinion, I'm lazy and don't have the time for it anyway.

What are the pros and cons of the two games compared to eachother?
    I don't have prejudice, I hate everyone equally.

Quote Originally Posted by Losvar View Post
    Title sums it up, thinking of playing one of these, but not sure which.
    Not gonna bother with wasting countless hours to try both out, to form my own informed opinion, I'm lazy and don't have the time for it anyway.

What are the pros and cons of the two games compared to eachother?
    If you're lazy play lol, it's easier to pick up, still significantly difficult enough to never master, and equally frustrating due to reliance on 4 other human beings to win stuff.

Play DotA cause thats what i do.
    Quote Originally Posted by LeonM View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by W0lf Crendraven View Post
    Im serious.
    That's the sad part.

LoL is better for a beginner. And it's a bit more balanced at the competitive level. DotA has a high skill floor, and a high skill cap. LoL has a much lower skill floor, and a skill cap just about as high. That also makes it more entertaining to watch pro games, because you can easily understand all the plays the pros make, and even make similar plays on occasion, though not as consistently and without the awareness and strategy pros have.

Quote Originally Posted by SAI Peregrinus View Post
    LoL is better for a beginner. And it's a bit more balanced at the competitive level. DotA has a high skill floor, and a high skill cap. LoL has a much lower skill floor, and a skill cap just about as high. That also makes it more entertaining to watch pro games, because you can easily understand all the plays the pros make, and even make similar plays on occasion, though not as consistently and without the awareness and strategy pros have.
    "And it's a bit more balanced at the competitive level."

Isn't that partly because Riot (League's developers) recognizes when a champion (hero in DOTA terms) is overpowered at the tournament level? As well as my understanding of DOTA2 being that Captains Mode has permabanned heroes that haven't been approved for tournament play.

I really doubt the balance in LoL is better than in DotA. Not saying it is worse but balance wise i know DotA is considered very well balanced by the community and pro-scene, and i doubt LoL is any worse. In terms of watchability, i tried watching LoL and honestly the graphics and art style is a complete turnoff for me, regardless of the skill involved it just looks dull and boring. If i understand my LoL friends correct it also would seem that DotA is a faster paced game with more action and fighting with more deaths while LoL games are (apparently) more of a stalemate until one team wins a fight and then its over. Not that i watch it so take that with a truckload of salt.
    Im serious.
    That's the sad part.

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Supreme View Post

Isn't that partly because Riot (League's developers) recognizes when a champion (hero in DOTA terms) is overpowered at the tournament level? As well as my understanding of DOTA2 being that Captains Mode has permabanned heroes that haven't been approved for tournament play.
    My understanding as a fairly casual spectator is that heroes that are not in the pool are there because they are either new and thus their balance is untested, or have been changed in such a way that introducing them immediately could result in huge upsets in the meta game and lots of confusion. As a result they are first released to the public so people can get used to them, and then once they have been evaluated and accepted/rebalanced they are accepted into the draft.
    Im serious.
    That's the sad part.

call me the asstrynamer cos im always tryna get that ass
    most fair and balanced representation of the two games i seen in a long time, good job !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Tordin Varglund View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega Supreme View Post

My understanding as a fairly casual spectator is that heroes that are not in the pool are there because they are either new and thus their balance is untested, or have been changed in such a way that introducing them immediately could result in huge upsets in the meta game and lots of confusion. As a result they are first released to the public so people can get used to them, and then once they have been evaluated and accepted/rebalanced they are accepted into the draft.
    LoL does the same thing actually, tournaments are held back by a patch for a while, IIRC 2 weeks minimum. Sometimes champions are disabled for tournaments due to balance issues. And my evaluation of balance is just from % of viable champions from total champions, IIRC LoL has it a bit better than DotA.

Quote Originally Posted by Tordin Varglund View Post
    I really doubt the balance in LoL is better than in DotA. Not saying it is worse but balance wise i know DotA is considered very well balanced by the community and pro-scene, and i doubt LoL is any worse. In terms of watchability, i tried watching LoL and honestly the graphics and art style is a complete turnoff for me, regardless of the skill involved it just looks dull and boring. If i understand my LoL friends correct it also would seem that DotA is a faster paced game with more action and fighting with more deaths while LoL games are (apparently) more of a stalemate until one team wins a fight and then its over. Not that i watch it so take that with a truckload of salt.
    On the other hand, I find the LoL art and graphics style much better simply because it's designed first and foremost to be very clear what abilities are being used etc. I find DOTA to be very muddled and unclear at atimes.

Personal taste though. DOTA goes a more "realism" route, LoL is very stylised.

I've played both games and while i sucked at both i can still comment.

LOL:

- slightly easier to get into since there are no denies, no creep pulls, no defensive warding of enemy creep camps, you have buffs in lol and while you have runes in dota its not quite the same. Lower level cap and harder to snowball in lol as well (easier to make a comeback) and animations that are shorter make last hitting a lot easier. Meta in my opinion is more stale and not as interesting as the one in DOTA. Not to mention the amount of heroes that you have available is not even comparable. You either have to pay for champs in lol or grind like there is no tomorrow and since Riot tends to release op champs its slightly hard to keep up sometimes.

Dota:

Slightly higher starting skill cap, mostly because there is more stuff to know and slightly harder animations. There are no rune pages or champion buying so thats a LOT better and the pool of viable champions is higher than the one in LOL (imo). There is more map mobility and the map awerness required is higher especially since compared to LOL you have a very limited ward pool. And there are ways of avoiding wards. Not to mention the differences in starting item and mana managment. You can do skill spams in LOL for creep farming. You cant do that in Dota.

As for introducing new champs in the selection pool. Dota holds back champions when a mayor change hits for close to up 2 months so people really get familiar with them. And that goes for all captain modes plays not just tournament games (like if they disabled champs for 2 months in ranked games in LOL). And when I remember introductions of Zed, Zac, Tresh in LOL i think thats a better way of doing things.

If you've never played a Dotalike/moba game then I would say start with LoL then at some point progress to DotA 2. I started with LoL myself having never played the original DotA then switched to DotA 2 and I can honestly say that DotA 2 is the superior game in just about every regard other than accessibility to new players. It's a good idea to learn the genre from LoL which is a lot easier on new players, both communities are shit however.

If you have experience just start with DotA 2, it's the harder game but far more rewarding.
    Last edited by Vorkash; October 4 2013 at 12:27:47 PM.

the one you like more

why? because you like it more

the end
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot
    Pastry.. That the best you can do?
    Quote Originally Posted by NotXenosis View Post

M8, i have discussions that spam multiple accounts, you aren't even on my level

Donor
    I think Dota looks shit and much prefer the cartoonish LoL style.
    The cartoonish style also makes it more playable imo, Dota does seem more thought out.

Ignore everyone that says things like "it's hard to know what's going on" because the longer you play either of the games, the easier it gets.

Play both and stick with which ever you like best. DotA has a handful of training levels to ease you into the basic concepts, not sure about LoL.

Spoiler:
    DotA is better. Fuck having to buy or grind for heroes.

Who cares about grinding heroes everyone plays the same 2-3 over and over in each game anyway.

New variables to add Lol is easier on the PC and DOTA has the pyrion flax announcer pack.
    D&D is where I learned that a longsword is a one handed slashing weapon.

Quote Originally Posted by Irion View Post
    Who cares about grinding heroes everyone plays the same 2-3 over and over in each game anyway.
    Pretty much. And if you play each of the free heroes each week you'll get a much better understanding of the game, without being overwhelmed trying to test all of them. Runes & rune pages are the real grind.

Apart from what people want you to believe those games are very very similar. Both are great too. Pick the one you like more after trying them for yourself and maybe watching a stream of someone playing them for few hours. You can't pick wrong here. It's like peanut better versus chocolate discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by Irion View Post
    I care. I would go nuts if I played the same 2-3 heroes over and over. In dota 2 I've played ~1200 games and my top played hero only 30 times. I often play all random. Every game I'm randoming from the entire ~100 hero pool. For free. Granted, I've been playing dota since 2005, and a new player would cry if he played like that. Still, if I play with my team we pick the heroes that we need to beat the enemy team. What is available to each person and who has paid for what doesn't even begin to factor in.

As for the gameplay, LoL was made to be more beginner friendly, which it is. I know that dota is extremely complex and rewarding at the higher levels of play, I can't speak for LoL. After 8 years of dota it's still compelling. My only gripe is that I wish they would get all the heroes from the original into dota 2 faster.
    Quote Originally Posted by Devec
    Cool09 is the cancer that is corrupting our society and poisoning our children.

WoT: Redglare[VPG]

What most non-retards said.

Both are free to play. Try them and see which one you like more.
    'I'm pro life. I'm a non-smoker. I'm a pro-life non-smoker. WOO, Let the party begin!'