hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 1 of 11 1234 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 203

Thread: On Coffee

  1. #1
    Movember '12 Best Facial Hair Movember 2012Donor Lallante's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 13, 2011
    Posts
    17,775

    On Coffee

    I was trying to explain the different coffee options to a curious colleage today but quickly realised the terms of art vary from country to country and shop to shop. In particular big retailers like starbucks tend to horribly mis-use terms which are applied fairly consistently elsewhere. Nevertheless I thought I would jot this down, which is an approximation of the "third wave" coffee shop standard nomenclature currently in vogue in London and other places with strong speciality coffee shop culture (double shots are assumed throughout):

    Description Total Volume / Container size Amount of coffee Amount of milk Steamed/Frothed Milk? Notes
    (Double) Espresso 60ml 60ml 0ml N/A Can also be served (less commonly)as a single
    Machiatto ~120ml 60ml 30~60ml Frothed (only) Usually the frothed milk simply sits on top of the espresso in clear layers.
    Flat White ~180ml 60ml ~120ml Steamed Generally not frothed, Steamed milk ("Microfoam") is "folded" in to give characteristic consistant velvety smooth taste. No layering. Its important to use lightly roasted coffee beans and a lot of shit "chains" fuck this up (never drink a Pret a Manger "flat white", its a bitter disappointment).
    Cappucino ~240ml 60ml ~120ml Mainly Frothed Always frothed, with a thick layer of stiff froth on top meaning a larger container is required. Layering, so minimal steamed milk actually mixed into the coffee.
    Latte ~240ml 60ml ~180ml Steamed, some foam Between a flat white and a cappucino in consistency (bit of foam, bit of steamed milk folded in), but generally more milk overall as a result.


    Options like "tall Machiatto" or "Cappucino extra shot" don't really make sense in this context, because the defining characteristic of most coffees is the proportion of coffee:milk, so changing it completely changes the drink. A Latte with an extra shot is practically just a bigger Flat White with a bit more foam, for example.
    Last edited by Lallante; August 19 2013 at 03:50:35 PM.

  2. #2
    FatFreddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Posts
    14,669
    So when did you decide to go full hipster?
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot
    Pastry.. That the best you can do?
    Quote Originally Posted by NotXenosis View Post

    M8, i have discussions that spam multiple accounts, you aren't even on my level

  3. #3
    Movember '12 Best Facial Hair Movember 2012Donor Lallante's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 13, 2011
    Posts
    17,775
    I've always been a bit of a hipster. Also even a complete noob to coffee will be able to appreciate the differences in taste and texture between these 5 after a couple of tastings, its hardly an obscure art like wine-tasting,

  4. #4
    FatFreddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Posts
    14,669
    I actually just saw the OPs title and your name and though "HA! Cheap trolly comment time AHOY"; didn't read OP because...of what it is, lulz

    appreciate the differences in taste and texture between these 5 after a couple of tastings
    Oh, Lall...my comment was spot-on, wasn't it ^^
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot
    Pastry.. That the best you can do?
    Quote Originally Posted by NotXenosis View Post

    M8, i have discussions that spam multiple accounts, you aren't even on my level

  5. #5
    Movember '12 Best Facial Hair Movember 2012Donor Lallante's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 13, 2011
    Posts
    17,775
    Quote Originally Posted by FatFreddy View Post
    I actually just saw the OPs title and your name and though "HA! Cheap trolly comment time AHOY"; didn't read OP because...of what it is, lulz

    appreciate the differences in taste and texture between these 5 after a couple of tastings
    Oh, Lall...my comment was spot-on, wasn't it ^^
    I guess when you are drinking from a 50 litre trough and add several sacks of refined sugar its pretty much all the same.

  6. #6
    Pegging Specialist Donor indi's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 9, 2011
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    3,773
    Quote Originally Posted by Lallante View Post
    I've always been a bit of a hipster. Also even a complete noob to coffee will be able to appreciate the differences in taste and texture between these 5 after a couple of tastings, its hardly an obscure art like wine-tasting,
    Except for the fact that the true connaisseur does not pollute his/her coffee with milk.

  7. #7
    Movember 2012 Elriche Oshego's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 21, 2011
    Posts
    8,040
    Come, come now. I enjoy black coffee but a bit of milk/cream every now and then is a nice change of pace.

    For great at home coffee invest in a good burr grinder with multiple settings, an espresso machine, and french press. So good.

  8. #8
    Phrixus Zephyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    Queenstown, NZ
    Posts
    3,538
    I've worked at Coffee Republic, a Costa franchise, Starbucks and a handful of bars (good and bad) with espresso machine day trade. After a point i gave up saying "this is how it is" and just started saying to the employer "just tell me how you want it made".

    Starbucks were definitely the worst for muddying terminology though, but seeing as everyone else i've worked for has been British, it does make me wonder what coffee culture is like in New York or Seattle vs. Italy vs. Paris.

  9. #9

    Join Date
    April 14, 2011
    Posts
    7,314
    Italy's coffee culture is you'll have an espresso and you'll have it black and from a thimble. Frankly I'm inclined to agree.

  10. #10
    Movember 2012 Stoffl's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    The original viennese waffle
    Posts
    22,759
    Sup

    CBA to translate it but the sheer amount should make it clear that Coffee is SRSBSNS in Austria/Vienna

    Austria

    Sorted by name

    Almkaffee / Gebirgskaffee – Kaffee mit Schlagobers, Eidotter und Obstschnaps
    Biedermeier – Kaffee mit Schlagobers und Marillenlikör
    Schale Braun – halb Kaffee, halb Milch
    kleiner Brauner – einfacher Mokka mit Milch oder Obers in kleiner Schale. Das Kaffeeobers bzw. die Milch, um aus dem kleinen Schwarzen einen kleinen Braunen zu machen, wird traditionell in einem winzigen Porzellankännchen, das an einen etwas größeren Fingerhut erinnert, extra am Tablett serviert, damit der Gast selbst das Mischungsverhältnis bestimmen kann.

    großer Brauner – doppelter Mokka mit Kaffeeobers in großer Schale
    Doppelmokka – doppelter Espresso in großer Mokkaschale


    Einspänner – kleiner Mokka im Glas mit viel Schlagobers (doppelter Einspänner: großer Mokka)
    Eiskaffee englischer Art – ein Drittel Kaffee, ein Drittel Eis, ein Drittel Schlagobers
    Fiaker – großer Mokka im Glas mit viel Zucker und einem Stamperl Sliwowitz oder Rum (Wien)
    Franziskaner – lichte Melange mit Schlagobers
    Gespritzter – schwarzer Kaffee mit Weinbrand/Cognac oder Rum
    Schale(rl) Gold – Kaffee mit Kaffeeobers, etwas heller als ein Brauner (Wien)
    Granita di Caffè – fein gekörntes Eis mit starkem schwarzem gezuckertem Kaffee übergossen
    Häferlkaffee – Kaffee im Häferl (und nicht in einer Tasse) mit meist hohem Milchanteil, Filterkaffee; als Häferlkaffee wurde auch Ersatzkaffee mit viel Milch bezeichnet

    Intermezzo – kleiner Mokka, mit heißer Schokolade und Creme de Cacao verrührt, darauf Schlagobers mit Praline (evtl. Mokkabohnen)

    Kaffee Kirsch – Kaffee mit Kirschwasser
    Kaffee verkehrt – Kaffee mit 2/3 Milch und 1/3 Kaffee (Wien)
    Kapuziner – schwarzer Kaffee mit einem Schuss flüssigen Obers
    Katerkaffee – starker Mokka, gesüßt mit an Zitronenschale geriebenen Zuckerstücken
    Konsul – Mokka mit etwas Obers
    Kosakenkaffee – kleiner Mokka im Einspännerglas, vermischt mit flüssigem Zucker und Rotwein und Wodka
    Marghiloman – Mokka mit Weinbrand/Cognac
    Mazagran – kalter gesüßter Kaffee mit Eisstückchen und Weinbrand/Cognac oder Maraschino
    Melange – halb Kaffee, halb Milch
    Kaisermelange – Mokka mit Eidotter, auch mit Honig und Weinbrand/Cognac (Wien)
    Wiener Melange – Melange, mit geschäumter Milch im Glas serviert (Wien)
    Maria Theresia – Mokka mit einem Schuss Orangenlikör
    Mokka gespritzt – Mokka mit Weinbrand/Cognac und Rum
    Othello – heiße Schokolade mit Espresso
    Piccolo – kleiner Schwarzer mit Schlagobers
    großer Schwarzer (auch großer Mokka) – doppelter Mokka in großer Schale
    kleiner Schwarzer (auch kleiner Mokka) – einfacher Mokka in kleiner Schale
    Sperbertürke – doppelt starker, mit Würfelzucker aufgekochter türkischer Kaffee
    türkischer Kaffee passiert – türkischer Kaffee, bei dem der Satz herauspassiert wurde
    überstürzter Neumann – Schlagobers in einer sonst leeren Schale wird am Tisch des Gastes mit heißem Kaffee „überstürzt“.
    ungarischer Kaffee – starker gesüßter Kaffee wird aufs Eis gestellt, dann mit gekühltem Schlagobers vermengt und im Glas serviert

    Verlängerter – ein kleiner Schwarzer wird mit der gleichen Menge an heißem Wasser verlängert
    Weißer mit Haut – lichte Melange (heller Milchkaffee), der mit heißer, nicht verquirlter Milch serviert wird, worauf sich eine Haut bildet (Wien)
    Zarenkaffee – starker Espresso, auf den eine Haube aus gezuckertem gesprudeltem Eidotter aufgesetzt wird
    Last edited by Stoffl; August 20 2013 at 10:55:02 AM.

  11. #11
    FatFreddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Posts
    14,669
    Quote Originally Posted by Lallante View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by FatFreddy View Post
    I actually just saw the OPs title and your name and though "HA! Cheap trolly comment time AHOY"; didn't read OP because...of what it is, lulz

    appreciate the differences in taste and texture between these 5 after a couple of tastings
    Oh, Lall...my comment was spot-on, wasn't it ^^
    I guess when you are drinking from a 50 litre trough and add several sacks of refined sugar its pretty much all the same.
    Ok, where in my kitchen is the camera?

    The cameraS?

    Otherwise, The Stoffler provided some context. Takin' it seriously since 1683~
    (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viennes..._house#History)
    Last edited by FatFreddy; August 20 2013 at 11:40:58 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot
    Pastry.. That the best you can do?
    Quote Originally Posted by NotXenosis View Post

    M8, i have discussions that spam multiple accounts, you aren't even on my level

  12. #12
    מלך יהודים Zeekar's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Posts
    15,426
    Quote Originally Posted by indi View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lallante View Post
    I've always been a bit of a hipster. Also even a complete noob to coffee will be able to appreciate the differences in taste and texture between these 5 after a couple of tastings, its hardly an obscure art like wine-tasting,
    Except for the fact that the true connaisseur does not pollute his/her coffee with milk.
    seriously this is the only correct answer.


    

  13. #13
    Movember 2012 Stoffl's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    The original viennese waffle
    Posts
    22,759
    While I myself mostly drink my coffee black unless im in a Kaffeehaus(bitches don't know bout ma Melange), it's a retarded answer and just about personal taste.

  14. #14

    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Posts
    352
    Added note to espresso: often served with a small glass of water, addition of sugar is permitted and often a good idea to balance the strong taste of the coffee. (personally, I'll take a black, no sugar, double espresso, but yeah.)

  15. #15
    FatFreddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Posts
    14,669
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeolos View Post
    Added note to espresso: often served with a small glass of water, addition of sugar is permitted and often a good idea to balance the strong taste of the coffee. (personally, I'll take a black, no sugar, double espresso, but yeah.)
    Moments where you realise that there are indeed many people who need manuals to [consume] beverages

    amazing
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot
    Pastry.. That the best you can do?
    Quote Originally Posted by NotXenosis View Post

    M8, i have discussions that spam multiple accounts, you aren't even on my level

  16. #16
    Donor
    Join Date
    November 30, 2011
    Posts
    216
    Quote Originally Posted by Stoffl View Post
    Sup

    CBA to translate it but the sheer amount should make it clear that Coffee is SRSBSNS in Austria/Vienna

    Schale Braun – halb Kaffee, halb Milch

    Melange – halb Kaffee, halb Milch
    is there any difference between these two?

  17. #17
    Movember '12 Best Facial Hair Movember 2012Donor Lallante's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 13, 2011
    Posts
    17,775
    Quote Originally Posted by indi View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lallante View Post
    I've always been a bit of a hipster. Also even a complete noob to coffee will be able to appreciate the differences in taste and texture between these 5 after a couple of tastings, its hardly an obscure art like wine-tasting,
    Except for the fact that the true connaisseur does not pollute his/her coffee with milk.
    You are talking about filter coffee there.

  18. #18
    Movember '12 Best Facial Hair Movember 2012Donor Lallante's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 13, 2011
    Posts
    17,775
    Quote Originally Posted by FatFreddy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeolos View Post
    Added note to espresso: often served with a small glass of water, addition of sugar is permitted and often a good idea to balance the strong taste of the coffee. (personally, I'll take a black, no sugar, double espresso, but yeah.)
    Moments where you realise that there are indeed many people who need manuals to [consume] beverages

    amazing
    About 1/4 of people understand coffee. 3/4 have no clue what they even like, let alone what its called.
    Last edited by Lallante; August 20 2013 at 03:45:38 PM.

  19. #19
    Movember 2012 Stoffl's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    The original viennese waffle
    Posts
    22,759
    Quote Originally Posted by Xamuni View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Stoffl View Post
    Sup

    CBA to translate it but the sheer amount should make it clear that Coffee is SRSBSNS in Austria/Vienna

    Schale Braun – halb Kaffee, halb Milch

    Melange – halb Kaffee, halb Milch
    is there any difference between these two?
    Yeah, but wikipedia is actually wrong. lol

    Melange = half espresso, half milk( 50:50 warm / foamed milk )

    *edit*
    owai, there's melange & wiener melange in dat list.
    I guess it's redundant...or maybe vienna vs rest of austria ?
    I personally would always expect foam when ordering a melange. vOv
    Last edited by Stoffl; August 20 2013 at 03:25:38 PM.

  20. #20
    Donor
    Join Date
    November 30, 2011
    Posts
    216
    Well that´s complicated stuff.

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •