hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Observations from a drive across America

Observations from a drive across America

I recently came back to America from a few years abroad, and I'm working my way from coast to coast while I have some free time. I started on the east coast and after driving about 1300 miles I'm roughly half-way done. I thought I'd share a few observations about from that trip.

1) That 27% adult obesity statistic is probably a big underestimate. I cannot get over just how fat America is, it's sickening. If any Euro's have a stereotype of America being fat but have not seen first hand if that's the truth...it is. America is grossly, disgustingly, disturbingly fat. I think the only large group of reasonably healthy-sized people I saw the entire way was a big group of chinese exchange students in a Starbucks.

2) A lot of Asian countries use squat-style toilets, which most westerners hate, myself included. However, given that most public bathrooms toilets along the interstate are so foul you could never use them anyway, I gotta say those squat toilets have some appeal.

3) People are just fucking awful at driving. I cannot fathom why everyone feels like the best position is 10 ft. behind the bumper of the car ahead of you doing 80-90+ mph in a huge pack. Not to mention the weaving in and out of lanes to gain a single car-length advantage....when the next 10 miles of highway are all clearly just as jammed up with traffic. I saw at 3 major accidents, and in two cases it was a multi-car pileup of idiots who had been doing that bumper-to-bumper convoy routine.

4) Road stop rest areas don't sell coffee. What the fuck, never thought I'd miss can coffees.

5) The Midwest and areas just east of it have a surprising number of really nice, new, great looking cities and towns, and some hilarious town names. Santa Claus? Manhattan (nickname "The Little Apple"), Sulfur, English, etc. I'd live here if it wasn't 1,000 miles from everything else in the country.

6) I forgot how horrible plug-style piercings and tattoos are.

7) Smoking being banned everywhere is awesome. Fuck smokers.

Super Baderator DonorGlobal Moderator cullnean's Avatar
    The tower of power, too sweet to be sour, ohhhh yeahh!
    Enriching, life affirming and interesting.

None of these words could be used to describe your posts.

win Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Elriche Oshego View Post
    Cullneshi the god of shitposting.
    Quote Originally Posted by RazoR View Post
    anything soviet is of evil

Did you swing by st Louis?

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Donor
    Quote Originally Posted by Takon Orlani View Post

I think he felt outclassed by walrus who is enjoying himself because hecisnt a bad poster.

fone poastin

Quote Originally Posted by Takon Orlani View Post

Yea, I took 70/64 the whole way.....I have to say that St. Louis looks amazing, at least from the highway. They have one of the best looking downtown highway systems I've seen so far, it's still going on but it's really well done. For example, the streets that bridge over the highway are all labeled with nice looking, large, easy to read text that tells you what street it is. It's both informative and interesting. I wish all cities did that.

Super Baderator DonorGlobal Moderator cullnean's Avatar
    The tower of power, too sweet to be sour, ohhhh yeahh!
    Well played

win Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Elriche Oshego View Post
    Cullneshi the god of shitposting.
    anything soviet is of evil

Fancomicidolkostümier- ungsspielgruppenzusammenkunft
    I too am driving across the states!

So i will now confirm or deny Walls post.

Quote Originally Posted by Wall View Post
    I recently came back to America from a few years abroad, and I'm working my way from coast to coast while I have some free time. I started on the east coast and after driving about 1300 miles I'm roughly half-way done. I thought I'd share a few observations about from that trip.

1) That 27% adult obesity statistic is probably a big underestimate. I cannot get over just how fat America is, it's sickening. If any Euro's have a stereotype of America being fat but have not seen first hand if that's the truth...it is. America is grossly, disgustingly, disturbingly fat. I think the only large group of reasonably healthy-sized people I saw the entire way was a big group of chinese exchange students in a Starbucks.
    CC

2) A lot of Asian countries use squat-style toilets, which most westerners hate, myself included. However, given that most public bathrooms toilets along the interstate are so foul you could never use them anyway, I gotta say those squat toilets have some appeal.
    CC

3) People are just fucking awful at driving. I cannot fathom why everyone feels like the best position is 10 ft. behind the bumper of the car ahead of you doing 80-90+ mph in a huge pack. Not to mention the weaving in and out of lanes to gain a single car-length advantage....when the next 10 miles of highway are all clearly just as jammed up with traffic. I saw at 3 major accidents, and in two cases it was a multi-car pileup of idiots who had been doing that bumper-to-bumper convoy routine.
    CC

4) Road stop rest areas don't sell coffee. What the fuck, never thought I'd miss can coffees.
    CC

5) The Midwest and areas just east of it have a surprising number of really nice, new, great looking cities and towns, and some hilarious town names. Santa Claus? Manhattan (nickname "The Little Apple"), Sulfur, English, etc. I'd live here if it wasn't 1,000 miles from everything else in the country.
    CC

6) I forgot how horrible plug-style piercings and tattoos are.
    i dont care

7) Smoking being banned everywhere is awesome. Fuck smokers.
    cc

(road trip is still awesome btw, swam in lake Superior today)
      Spoiler:
    But islamism IS a product of class warfare. Rich white countries come into developing brown dictatorships, wreck the leadership, infrastructure and economy and then act all surprised that religious fanaticism is on the rise.
    Also:
    Quote Originally Posted by Tellenta View Post
    walrus isnt a bad poster.
    Quote Originally Posted by cullnean View Post
    also i like walrus.
    Quote Originally Posted by AmaNutin View Post
    Yer a hoot

Glad you enjoyed it. Stl gets a bad wrap but it's p chill.

Did you go to Colorado? It's literally awesome and not awful.

I think he felt outclassed by walrus who is enjoying himself because hecisnt a bad poster.

fone poastin
    Well played

win Tapatalk
    I had no idea he was doing a cross-country trip until I saw his post here. But, I sure don't wanna get into a happiness dick-measuring contest with you two. With 6,000+ posts and all that reputation you guys are clearly the real winners here. All walrus and I have is our travel and life experiences.

Quote Originally Posted by Aea View Post
    Not yet, I should arrive there sometime tomorrow and I'll be hanging around for awhile. Can't wait.

Quote Originally Posted by Aea View Post
    As someone with experience in Colorado related matters:
    CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

If you take long enough you could visit north Colorado

A friend of mine is currently on a student exchange or something with a bunch of people i know. Should be in the New Jersey area. I'll quote one of her recent facebook posts:
    "You haven't seen that much fat people even in the documentaries."

It's sad.

Also smoking ban, fuck yeah. I love how my gov. introduced one 2 years ago. I fucking hate when I go out for a few drinks and when I get back home I literally have to take two showers and burn all my clothes (throw them directly in the washing machine so they dont shit up my room) because the smell is just overwhelming. Bad ventilation might have to do something with it, but even if that wasn't the case the smell of cigarettes is repulsive.

*A little hint to all the smokers here, non-smokers fucking hate this shit. And that comes from someone that used to smoke while drinking every time.
    Last edited by Tyrehl; July 14 2013 at 07:05:00 AM.
    <Devec> hello captain Tyrehl
    <Devec> sailor of the persian seas
    Quote Originally Posted by Paradox
    I swear you are some sort of biological weapon developed in the early '90's for the Yugoslav wars but they lost track of you at some point and now you're waging a psychological war on Western Europe without a clue what you're doing.

fuck entrox Donor Jason Marshall's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrehl View Post
    A friend of mine is currently on a student exchange or something with a bunch of people i know. Should be in the New Jersey area. I'll quote one of her recent facebook posts:

It's sad.
    At least we aren't as fat as Mexico.

"Sometimes someone just needs to be the OP" -Tellenta Philosopher of our People.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Marshall View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrehl View Post

It's sad.
    At least we aren't as fat as Mexico.
    I think they're hinting at that survey is just wishful thinking for americans...

:TpTlk:
    Coming soon(tm).

<3 Entrox.

fuck entrox Donor Jason Marshall's Avatar
    That's fine.

Still not as fat as dirty mexicans.

"Sometimes someone just needs to be the OP" -Tellenta Philosopher of our People.

fone poastin
    Well played

win Tapatalk
    I had no idea he was doing a cross-country trip until I saw his post here. But, I sure don't wanna get into a happiness dick-measuring contest with you two. With 6,000+ posts and all that reputation you guys are clearly the real winners here. All walrus and I have is our travel and life experiences.
    You could replace every single Wall post with 'i'm so edgy I'm amazed I don't cut myself walking', and they would all read exactly the same.
    'I'm pro life. I'm a non-smoker. I'm a pro-life non-smoker. WOO, Let the party begin!'

Donor
    Quote Originally Posted by walrus View Post

(road trip is still awesome btw, swam in lake Superior today)
    Enjoy the forests of the UP. Did you head there for pictured rocks or did you just randomly decide to go to michigan?

fone poastin

Did you get off the beaten-to-death-by-tourists-and-everyone-else track and out into the more affluent suburbs or quaint small towns? If not, you are getting a somewhat skewed view of the US biased by the big city- and motorway-bound human herd.