hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them

Thread: Alpha Test 000001a

Alpha Test 000001a

Previous Thread http://failheap-challenge.com/showth...ty-Hermit-Crab (Initial Prototype)

Goal of Test 000001: Movement, tracking and target selection testing

Test Environment

Player is given control of a cruiser and put up against 3 enemy cruisers of equal strength. Player must use movement to beat targets. Target destruction will result in instant removal of ship (no death animation in this build). Player death will result in instant restart of game environment (no death UI components in this build).

Cruiser weaponry:

Pair of autocannons on flanks - These do very little damage but have a very high refire rate and good tracking. They will auto engage the primary target.

Pair of beam turrets on top - These do a lot of damage but require continual application of the beam to do full damage. They have poor tracking and must be manually fired (space bar). They will auto-track the primary target.

Controls

Course arrow is used to indicated desired movement of cruiser. Cruiser will move as best able to match this.

Q/E rotates course arrow
    A/D turns course arrow left/right
    W/S raises/lowers course arrow
    Z/X increases/shrinks/throws course arrow into reverse

Space-bar fires beam turrets

View defaults to Defaults to free rotation

F1 - Follow rotation - More limited rotation thats synched with ship rotation
    F2 - Free rotation - Default rotation system thats synched with ship position
    F3 - Chase cam

Feedback required on
    Movement, tracking and target selection.

I don't care about the graphics or sound. The are a pile of arse I threw together this morning. Any eye cancer you suffer is not my problem

Download

fuck entrox Donor Jason Marshall's Avatar
    everything seems to be working other than not being able to shoot.

Space bar does nothing best I can tell

This might be because i cant target?

Ok right click targets. Auto-cannons fire beam still does nothing while on same plane as target or while beam turrets face target.
    Last edited by Jason Marshall; July 7 2013 at 01:40:02 PM.

"Sometimes someone just needs to be the OP" -Tellenta Philosopher of our People.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Marshall View Post
    everything seems to be working other than not being able to shoot.

Space bar does nothing best I can tell
    Are you moving at top speed? The turrets track very slowly (and there is no UI so no indication of when they can hit)

Would you mind performing a quick false negative test on your feedback?

Orient to directly under the rightmost target, right click on it to set it primary target and move forwards at half speed while spamming spacebar.

EDIT -I think this is me being a poor communicator. The beam turrets have a max range that you start just outside of. This is to prevent insta-death from the cruisers bracketing you while you are dicking around with movement controls. I should have said this
    Last edited by Nicholai Pestot; July 7 2013 at 01:43:21 PM.

Alright was the tracking. I beat your game.

Played through twice got it to fire from a good variety of angles with reduced velocity.

"Sometimes someone just needs to be the OP" -Tellenta Philosopher of our People.

Alright was the tracking. I beat your game.

Played through twice got it to fire from a good variety of angles with reduced velocity.
    Excellent. Thankyou.

I'm going to be holding off on another build until Tuesday night.

If feedback results in any changes to the tested systems, I'll throw up a 000001b build at that point that contains the changes.

After 000001 is done with, I'll start on 000002a. This will incorporate a first pass of the combat UI system and the addition of shields.

Are the beams supposed to keep tracking while firing? Second question, are the beams continuous or is there a cooldown at points? (Or is that just me being off target).

Even going slowly the beams "walk" off target, possibly because of extremely slow tracking. Correcting course to keep them on doesn't always allow them to fire again right away. Hence the questions.

Quote Originally Posted by Torashuu View Post
    Are the beams supposed to keep tracking while firing? Second question, are the beams continuous or is there a cooldown at points? (Or is that just me being off target).

Even going slowly the beams "walk" off target, possibly because of extremely slow tracking. Correcting course to keep them on doesn't always allow them to fire again right away. Hence the questions.

The beams do continue tracking while firing, but as you noticed if you turn too quickly the beam will end up moving off the target – this is indeed a result of the tracking of the turrets being very slow. When this happens the beam will disable and initiate its re-charge timer (in this instance, 2 seconds).

It is very possible to get a quick 'strafe' of a target you would not normally be able to track at your current relative velocities, by moving your ship correctly. Due to the way damage calculations are performed, this may not actually result in much damage.

For exact numbers in the test environment

Autocannon salvo lasts 1 second with a 1 second reload time. Each salvo applies 1 point of damage split across 10 shots (each shot applies 0.1 damage). Maximum potential Autocannon DPS is 0.5

Beam salvo lasts for 6 seconds with a 2 second recharge time. Each beam salvo applies 50 points of damage over the duration of the beam (in this instance, the damage is subdivided across 6 'pulses' ). Maximum potential Beam DPS is 6.25.

Maximum potential DPS of the test ship is 13.5 (2 of each turret). It is possible to line up all guns on a single target if you get it in a 'sweet spot' to your upper front.

Each ship has 200 pts of damage (this is just for testing and not representative of the final damage system), so your theoretical optimal TTK on another test cruiser is just a shade under 15 seconds.
    Last edited by Nicholai Pestot; July 8 2013 at 10:38:48 AM.

And by the looks of it turrets track before comming in range.

Quote Originally Posted by Torashuu View Post
    And by the looks of it turrets track before comming in range.
    Yep. It's inefficient to wait until coming into range to start laying on guns, especially with slow tracking weapons.

I did give some consideration towards players not wanting their guns to track until coming into range (in order to hide intent), but as there is a turret bank mode that will prevent turrets tracking, I decided this is something I would allow the player to control.

If no problems crop up and no good design change suggestions are presented, the 000001b build will just be a weapon tweak, to change the top guns to pulse lasers and the side guns to artillery. Tracking will remain the same.

It will take a whole 5 seconds to change the relevant variables in the unity design screen…so might as well.

As I have nothing to bugfix, I knocked up 000001b quickly this evening. Thank you to Jason and Torashuu for your questions and feedback.

Spinal turrets are now pulse lasers that auto engage. They do 2 damage per shot and fire for 0.3 seconds with a 0.3 second recharge time. 1.6 dps.

Side turrets are now artillery cannons that require manual firing. They do 50 damage per shot and take 1 second to shoot. They have a 5 second reload time. 8.3 dps

The enemy cruisers still use the old pattern (they are loaded from a different ship prefab, so I left them as is).

000001b

Between 000001a and 000001b both extreems of beam and projectile types have been tested. So after a bit of time to make sure no-one finds issues with b, Ill be pushing onto shields and first-pass combat UI.
    Last edited by Nicholai Pestot; July 8 2013 at 07:34:09 PM.

A bit of feedback from me:

The movement arrow, it's flat underneath and tapered (is that the right word?) on the top. i'd expect this to be the other way around so when I was doing a lot of combat manoeuvres I got a bit confused as to what the ship was trying to do. Maybe colour it green on top red underneath?

Ship design wise, assuming that's the direction you are going with it I thought could do with being thought out a bit better. They seemed like actual ships, just in space. Ignore if they are just place holders.

Quote Originally Posted by Equium Duo View Post
    A bit of feedback from me:

The movement arrow, it's flat underneath and tapered (is that the right word?) on the top. i'd expect this to be the other way around so when I was doing a lot of combat manoeuvres I got a bit confused as to what the ship was trying to do.
    That's actually a really good idea. The way I have it setup is counter intuitive. I will apply that tonight and throw out a 000001c before I move on to the Shields/First pass combat UI.

Ship design wise, assuming that's the direction you are going with it I thought could do with being thought out a bit better. They seemed like actual ships, just in space. Ignore if they are just place holders.
    Public alpha testing rule 1 - No matter how many times you state the visuals are placeholders and that art is not being reviewed, people will still give feedback on art

Yeah, that's placeholder art. I basically opened blender, made a rough ship shape then spent 5 minutes warping it a bit. It's not indicative of final art in the slightest. Thanks anyway. I value testers who speak up, even over stuff I don't want to hear! (sometimes especially over stuff I don't want to hear )
    Last edited by Nicholai Pestot; July 9 2013 at 08:08:42 AM.

sorry i just came home froma night shift and my mind was a bit warped. haha

Quote Originally Posted by Equium Duo View Post
    sorry i just came home froma night shift and my mind was a bit warped. haha
    No worries

000001c - The Equium Duo build.

Inverted arrow and setup a crappy UV map to allow enhanced visual recognition of orientation.

That's the last of the 000001 builds. Thanks to everyone who helped!

Throttle control to mouse wheel please.

Throttle control to mouse wheel please.
    Controls zoom.

As this is a third person game and not a first person game, I'm inclined to leave it like that until I enable custom controls.

I found the default controls very unfamiliar. Had better luck once I changed it around to

W: Accelerate
    S: Decelerate
    Q: Course up
    Z: Course down
    E: Roll Left
    R: Roll right
    A&D unchanged.

Felt much better with that.

There needs to be a key for immediately killing your course.

The CourseUp and Down are reversed in the input tab on config.

Quote Originally Posted by Straight Hustlin View Post

There needs to be a key for immediately killing your course.
    Agreed. That will be in the first shield/UI build.

The Course up and Down are reversed in the input tab on config.

Damnit. I thought I had achieved the mythical 'bug free build'.

That will be fixed in the first shield/ui build.

Thanks for the bugtesting and feedback.