hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 1 of 11 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: [Inquisitor]Heap Challenge: The game thread.

Movember '12 Ginger Excellence Movember 2011Movember 2012 LarkinAlpha's Avatar

[Inquisitor]Heap Challenge: The game thread.

Overveiw:
    Your planet has been deemed Heretical by the Emperor's Holy Inquisition. Unfortunately, it's too valuable to destroy, so the Inquisition has taken a, slightly, different approach.
    Everyone on your planet has been removed from their home and placed into concentration camps. You have all been alerted that there are Heretics among you, and that you are responsible for saving yourselves. A member of the Ecclesiarchy has been provided to care for your souls, but it is up to you, denizens of Internment Camp 683 to weed out the Cultists among you.

There are 3 Alignments in this game, Citizenry, Inquisitional and Cultist. The object is for the Citizens (with the Help of the Inquisition) to kill off all of the Cultists. There are also factions within the Citizenry, named the Arbites and the Gangers, who have their own goals.

Everyone in the game can do actions at night. Some roles grant more actions. Each day, everyone is called upon to vote, and vote publicly, to burn one of your number in search of the cultists. In the end though, it comes down to figuring out who is who, and trying to keep your side alive.

Unfortunately, that is extremely unlikely.

Rules:
      Spoiler:

Turns:
      Spoiler:
    1 Every 24 hours during weekdays, 48 during weekends
    Turn ends at midnight Forum time (0000GMT, 7PM EST, Noon in upsidedown land)
    PMs for Night Actions are required to be submitted before the end of the Turn.
    If the GM has to ask for a clarification, this time is extended for about an hour.
    If there are no clear actions to be taken, no actions are taken.
    Night Time Actions will be resolved in the most logical manner, first in, first resolved, unless it makes the game more interesting.
    What is expected from your role will be sent via the First PM from the GM.

Voting:
      Spoiler:
    Votes will be clearly placed with a $$Name, this makes it easier for the GM to count them
    On Tie Vote, no one is killed
    Abstain votes = votes for no one, if a majority, no one is killed

Roles:
      Spoiler:
    Roles are revealed on death
    Killings will be vaguely to strongly attributed via descriptive text, people who die will be listed in bold
    There can be more than 1 Cult. But there can be only 1 at the end.

Actions:
      Spoiler:
    EVERYONE can take ONE (1) action per turn.
    GROUPS can co-ordinate actions. Still limited to 1 per person.
    EVERYONE can do the following actions:
    Hide You Hide and cannot be easily found. This is the Default Action.
    Follow Follows 1 person for the night. You find out what they do during the night.
    Search Allows you to find a new Hiding Spot, or Someone Hiding. You can build up hiding spots by searching for them multiple times.
    Attack You Attack someone with intent. Winners get to claim all of the guns left behind (Armed status from dead), but Armor is ruined. If the Target survives, they will know who lead the attack.
    Assist You add your Strength and Status to someone, helping in whatever they do during the night.

The Following Actions are per Role/Status:
    Investigate You Follow someone and look for signs of [Thing].
    Recruit You Recruit a Person as long as the requirements are met.
    Kill An Attack that Ignores the Status of the Target.
    Retaliate If you die, you take 1 of your Attackers with you. Automatic Action.
    Pray See Priest Role

Search > Hide > All Other Actions > Search

Hide defeats all actions except for Search. Search defeats Hide until a new Hiding Spot is Searched for (multiple turns). If you want to Attack someone, you should probably Search for them and then Attack. If 2 people are working together, 1 can Search while the other does something else. Larger groups have more options.
    Any nighttime Attack will be resolved by comparing Strength. If the Attacker Wins, they succeed. If the tie or lose, their Attack fails.
    Strength is simply added together by everyone working for 1 side. Everyone starts at 1 Strength. (Ex, 2 citizens Attacking together is 2 Strength but 4 Arbites working together are at 8 Strength, and -4 to their enemies)

Statuses:
      Spoiler:
    Armed players subtract 1 from their enemies Strength and Retaliates.
    Armored players add 1 to their Strength and negates 1 Retaliate per game.
    Warp Touched subtract 1 from their enemies Strength
    Heretic only counts for Investigation

Alignments:
      Spoiler:
    There are 3 Alignments: Inquisitorial, Citizenry and Cultist.
    Alignments are not removed upon Recruitment.
    You can Win with any Alignment you posses, though that may be impossible for some due to your combination.

Player Activity:
      Spoiler:
    Screen shots are prohibited, but PMs are encouraged
    Lying is it's own reward
    On the second day of INACTIVITY (defined as not posting, or only posting a vote), you are a free EXTRA kill for any of the factions. If you send a PM to the GM, you can extend this by 1 Turn. The most fun you get out of the game is if you actively play, please do. Actively looking for inactives will be rewarded somehow (probably with Armor).

Roles:

Win Conditions:
      Spoiler:
    Game Continues until there are only Citizens left, the =I= calls an all clear, the Cult has complete control, or a Daemon is the only one left. Specific Win Conditions are listed appropriately.

Citizenry
      Spoiler:
    Win Condition
      Spoiler:
    Citizens win if all of The Cult are killed off, and the Inquisition is either dead, or calls an all clear. This is 40k, Citizen's almost never win.

Citizens.
      Spoiler:
    As per normal, get to vote each day to burn someone.

PDF
      Spoiler:
    1/5 of the total players who are also citizens will be considered Armed.
    “Look Ma, I got to keep my Lasgun!”

Priest.
      Spoiler:
    Public Role, cannot be Recruited.
    Can Investigate for Warp Touched
    Can Pray 3 times to the God Emperor to save a person's soul. Saved Players return to their basic role. 50/50 chance to kill them instead (100% if it's a Daemon). Prayer is public in the thread.
    Is encouraged to take private confessions.
    The Priest gets Immediate results to his actions, as in the next time the GM checks the thread. Can train another Priest, which takes 3 turns with no prayer, and can only come from the Saved. That person becomes a Priest if the first one dies.

Saved.
      Spoiler:
    Created Role.
    Returns to Default Role from ANY side.
    Can be trained to be a Priest.

Adeptus Arbites
      Spoiler:

Win Condition
      Spoiler:
    Wins with their Alignment, but can also win by eliminating all of the Gang Members

1/4th of total players
    Can Investigate for Armed.
    Must Protect any Public roles each night with at least 1 member.
    Can Recruit if not at maximum members (1/4th total players).
    Armed and Armored

Gang Members
      Spoiler:

Win Condition
      Spoiler:
    Wins with their Alignment, but can also win by eliminating all of the Arbites

1/5th of total players
    Can Investigate for Armed.
    Can Recruit, but has to Arm the recruits. This is an Attack that doesn’t kill.
    Armed

Inquisition (=I=)
      Spoiler:
    1 Inquisitor and 1 Interrogator. Up to 2 Acolytes at one time.
    Win Condition
      Spoiler:
    =I= wins if they kill off all the Heretics. They can be sadistic bastards and kill everyone else if they want, or Call an all clear.

Interrogator
      Spoiler:
    Can Investigate for Heresy
    Can Recruit one Acolyte at a time and can Arm 1 Acolyte per game. Grants 1 power per turn to their Acolyte.
    Can be Recruited, but does not gain the new Alignment
    If the Inquisitor dies, gains the Kill power.
    Armed and Armored

Inquisitor
      Spoiler:
    Exactly the same as the Interrogator.
    Can Kill.
    Can reveal himself as the Inquisitor and become a Public Role.

Acolyte
      Spoiler:
    Created Role.
    Up to 2 at any given time.
    Is granted powers by their sponsor on a turn by turn basis.
    If their sponsor dies, gains the Investigate and Kill powers permanently, if not superseded. (Kill power goes to the Interrogator first, then the Inquisitor’s Acolyte, then the Interrogator’s Acolyte)

Heretical Cult
      Spoiler:
    1 Cult Leader and 1 Psyker and as many Heretics and Daemons as they can get away with.
    Win Condition
      Spoiler:
    The Cult wins if they convert/kill everyone -OR- the =I= Calls an all clear and there are ANY left.

Psyker
      Spoiler:
    Can Recruit Citizens into Heretics.
    Immune to the Priest, and Retaliates, if prayed about. If killed, there are no more converts.
    Can psychicly scry on someone (Follow action that counts as Hide) but has a 10% chance to summon a demon to possess one of the two (50/50). The Inquisitor, Interrogator, Priest and Demons cannot be possessed.
    Warp Touched and Heretic.

Cult Leader.
      Spoiler:
    Decides what happens with the Cult. (Most actions, level of secrecy who to send out to do what to whom)
    Comes up with a phrase that Heretics can use during normal play to identify each other.
    If killed, a new one is elected the next night.
    Heretic

Heretics.
      Spoiler:
    Citizens turned to chaos. Knows the code phrase. 5% Chance to become a new Psyker upon recruitment. Heretic

Daemons.
      Spoiler:
    Win Condition
      Spoiler:
    Daemons win if they kill everyone else. Yes, this includes other Daemons. If there are multiple Daemons, it's possible that no one wins. If there is a Daemon left in play, the game does not end. In the Event of an all Daemon ending, no one wins, not even the Daemons.

Created role.
    Can Kill, and HAS to Kill once every 3 turns or is removed from play.
    Warp Touched and Heretic.

Players:
      Spoiler:
    Bentguru
    Coo09
    Kilabi
    Navigator Six, Killed during the First Night
    Nicho Void
    Nobody_Holme, Lynched on the Third Day
    Quarantine
    Steph
    Toxic
    Varcaus, Lynched on the Second Day

Roles:
      Spoiler:
    1 Inquisitor, 1 Cult Leader, 1 Psyker, 1 Priest, 1 Arbites (Max 2), 1 Ganger, 1 PDF, 3 Citizens

Special Rules:
      Spoiler:
    Arbites have to protect 1 out of every 3 Turns Minimum (instead of every turn)
    Priest does not start as a Public role, and instead will chose when to reveal himself
    Roles will not be revealed on Death for this game, too few people, but they may be hinted at the more information players posses

First day will end at Midnight Forum Time (7pm Eastern). Please review what you can do with your role, what your win condition is, and what you can do during the night, then PM me with what you want to do during the night. Any rules questions should be put in the rules thread. Have fun!
    Last edited by LarkinAlpha; June 21 2013 at 12:24:23 AM.

inb4 preist never reveals

only 10 people? this is going to be short

Quote Originally Posted by Bentguru View Post
    only 10 people? this is going to be short
    We need to test the rules anyhow. So...I've got no idea what to do, other than twiddle my thumbs and hope to be recruited. Suggestions?
    Domination.
    Vote Lark for CSM

On the bright side, the emperor didnt just NUKE US FROM ORBIT.

I for one believe we were spared because we are such a handsome bunch

Exam tomorrow btw.
    Amantus for mod 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016

$$abstain As always.

I'm still confused about the fuckload of possible interactions between various role powers. After a couple of turns there's going to be an almost endless amount of things that could've happened, so it's probably best for us to do this with only 10 players for the first time.

I don't think that abstaining in this variation is a benefit to the citizenry.

(paging Steph)

Quote Originally Posted by Nicho Void View Post
    The problem of the citizens is that they want to be recruited by anyone, since it's easier to win as part of a faction. So it's actually not in their interest to kill anyone until they know who to play for. Citizens are like sheep who have to wait for either their dog to guard them or their butcher to slaughter them. This is truly a WH 40k game.

We have two investigate roles... but investigating is less effective than in mafia since getting an innocent read on turn 1 doesn't really mean much on turn 5.

Arbites can gain a member tonight, but the cult does too.

When the priest reveals, it's like the mayor in mafia right? As in, is it confirmed by the PM or by Larkin?
    Quote Originally Posted by Devec
    Cool09 is the cancer that is corrupting our society and poisoning our children.

WoT: Redglare[VPG]

Quote Originally Posted by Cool09 View Post
    When the priest reveals, it's like the mayor in mafia right? As in, is it confirmed by the PM or by Larkin?
    No, I won't be directly confirming the Priest for this game. But the Arbites knows who the Priest is, and the Priest gets immediate resolution for their actions so I will be indirectly confirming as I resolve actions.

I think, frankly, because I want someone to recruit me too before I do anything, this will be where I place my $$Abstain vote on day one for the first time ever.

I maintain its a dumbass idea in any other version though (other than incognito)

So on nights after this should we go killing people with out night attacks? 2 lynch like i guess

Quote Originally Posted by Varcaus View Post
    So on nights after this should we go killing people with out night attacks? 2 lynch like i guess
    If you can create a group to go and Attack people during the night, you sure can.

FYI, if I don't get an action from you (anyone) in the next 6 hours, your (anyones) action will default to Hide.

So... our plan is to abstain and let the various OOG groups do their thing until somebody (priest or Inquisitor) reveals himself?

That does seem to be the best option.

(paging Steph)
    I haven't given it a detailed analysis, but I believe your suspicions are correct. In this format, abstaining day 1 may not necessarily be the best play. There's a lot of variables to consider that aren't present in other Mafia games we've run.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot View Post
    Canadians are usually cooler.
    Thermonuclear Banana Split - A not-really-weekly Eclipse Phase campaign journal

Isnt the risk of killing something really important like the priest or inquisitor far too high to take at this point?

It certainly is a risk, yes.

Let me clarify. I don't know whether abstaining is the best play, though it is probably still the safest.

...which is evidently not what Nicho was driving at, a fact that I would have realized if I'd done more than skim his post and seen "abstain", "don't" and "paging steph"