hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 508

Thread: Mac or PC

  1. #41
    Donor
    Join Date
    April 11, 2011
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    1,027
    Quote Originally Posted by whispous View Post
    Yea but why is it good
    Because the screen is awesome and I get as much screen estate on the road if I need it as I get on my 27" Thunderbolt display at home & at the office.
    They also have the best of both worlds from Linux and Windows: Easy of use & Good UI and a highly effective OS for development.
    If you're smart and bought the 15" retina you can also easily run blizzard games and stuff like LOL on the road, which is good for people like me who have to fly a lot and need to waste time in hotels.
    Also, it's about 50% lighter than PC-laptops with the same kind of power, which was a very big deal to me too.
    And they look damn sexy, that's a plus.
    Also, the touch pad is the best I've ever had on a laptop. It's the only touch pad that doesn't irritate me like hell when I'm typing and don't have an external mouse connected (say in a conference venue when listening to a talk and taking notes or coding along f.ex). Although for those situations I kind of prefer my 13" mac book air, because that is the ultimate conference brawler. Light, plenty of power for development work and small enough to put in a small bag.

    It's a bit like an Eclipse user asking why he should buy IntelliJ. Tell him to download the trial of ultimate and within 30 days he will have bought it.
    Last edited by Waagaa; June 18 2013 at 04:49:13 PM.

  2. #42
    Super Moderator DonorGlobal Moderator whispous's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    Mails Tegg > пошел ты на хуй
    Posts
    4,878
    Ladies and gentlemen, the first non-vague explaination of why to pick a mac.

  3. #43

    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Posts
    379
    What? That is about as vague as they come.
    What does "Easy of use & Good UI and a highly effective OS for development" even mean..?

    Edit:
    The 15'' MBPr certainly is a good laptop (I like mine) but there are plenty of other good laptops too.
    And OS X really is nothing special, some things are more polished than windows, but overall it lacks some refinement. It is basically just a slim shell on top of unix, and in many places it shows.
    Last edited by MortyM; June 18 2013 at 05:26:43 PM.

  4. #44
    Nobody_Holme's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 11, 2011
    Location
    On a Bote
    Posts
    5,969
    Reasons to buy a mac that I actually believe (Assuming non-techie, why is a competent techie reading this thread without knowing both sides of this argument?):

    Macbook Airs are stupidly lightweight and still have strong performance with reasonable battery life.

    Reasons not to for the same group:

    Costs far more than an equivalent spec machine with a PC architecture, your techie friends are likely to just say "lol, you bought a mac" if you ask them to fix it, Apple are probably the worst people in the tech sector (other than Foxconn, but apple buy from them too, so meh) for social responsibility


    If you want portable and easy to use on a laptop, buy an airbook.
    If you want literally anything else but DONT want the portability, dont buy a mac.
    If you're a techie, laugh manically at the thread.

  5. #45
    FatFreddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Posts
    14,812
    Quote Originally Posted by Waagaa View Post
    If you're smart and bought the 15" retina you can also easily run blizzard games and stuff like LOL on the road
    holy shit I'm dieing
    Last edited by FatFreddy; June 18 2013 at 05:54:44 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot
    Pastry.. That the best you can do?
    Quote Originally Posted by NotXenosis View Post

    M8, i have discussions that spam multiple accounts, you aren't even on my level

  6. #46

    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Posts
    379
    PC architecture? What the hell...

    There are plenty of other laptops that are as light as the macbook air, have the same performance and battery life. Also, the macbook air is comparatively priced as its competition.
    Pretty much all of your points are just plain wrong.

  7. #47
    FatFreddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Posts
    14,812
    Quote Originally Posted by MortyM View Post
    PC architecture? What the hell...
    The only good thing about threads like this is to witness the hilarious combinations of quarter-knowledge/ pseudo "tech" speak and marketing babble people mix together
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot
    Pastry.. That the best you can do?
    Quote Originally Posted by NotXenosis View Post

    M8, i have discussions that spam multiple accounts, you aren't even on my level

  8. #48
    Nobody_Holme's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 11, 2011
    Location
    On a Bote
    Posts
    5,969
    Because trying to say things in ways that people who dont do computers would get is bad, right?

    Also, if theres a PC laptop thats as easy to transport as an airbook, WTB links, particularly if someone managed to sneak a worthwhile graphics chipset into it.

  9. #49
    Administrator EntroX's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    Miami, FL
    Posts
    10,984
    Quote Originally Posted by Nobody_Holme View Post
    Costs far more than an equivalent spec machine with a PC architecture, your techie friends are likely to just say "lol, you bought a mac" if you ask them to fix it, Apple are probably the worst people in the tech sector (other than Foxconn, but apple buy from them too, so meh) for social responsibility
    ....wat?, apple customer support is by far the best on that market, cost is more than reasonable when you consider it comes standard with a fast SSD and what not.

    you do sacrifice expandability for looks and the ecosystem however.
    need me?, contact me on Discord (entrox#0001) or via e-mail (entrox@failheap-challenge.com).

  10. #50

    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Posts
    379
    Quote Originally Posted by Nobody_Holme View Post
    Because trying to say things in ways that people who dont do computers would get is bad, right?

    Also, if theres a PC laptop thats as easy to transport as an airbook, WTB links, particularly if someone managed to sneak a worthwhile graphics chipset into it.
    But what are you trying to say? Because Macs are PC's, the whole distinction is completely artificial. The hardware is the same, they just run a different OS.

    As for laptops that are easy transport: there is literally an entire market segment for that, known as ultrabooks. (e.g. Sony Vaio Z, Samsung series 9, Asus zenbook)

  11. #51
    FatFreddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Posts
    14,812
    Quote Originally Posted by MortyM View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Nobody_Holme View Post
    Because trying to say things in ways that people who dont do computers would get is bad, right?

    Also, if theres a PC laptop thats as easy to transport as an airbook, WTB links, particularly if someone managed to sneak a worthwhile graphics chipset into it.
    But what are you trying to say? Because Macs are PC's, the whole distinction is completely artificial. The hardware is the same, they just run a different OS.

    As for laptops that are easy transport: there is literally an entire market segment for that, known as ultrabooks. (e.g. Sony Vaio Z, Samsung series 9, Asus zenbook)
    Here's to hoping he would get it
    I mean, the pathetic little knowitall in me is amused that time and again, apple fans proove to be - mostly - idiots who get milked for the markup, but it would be better if people actually edumacated themselves a bit at least about the things they spent hundreds of dollars on...

    and because generally backing up what you talk about with lovely facts, an example: http://www.digitaltrends.com/computi...s-dell-xps-13/


    Last edited by FatFreddy; June 18 2013 at 06:21:23 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot
    Pastry.. That the best you can do?
    Quote Originally Posted by NotXenosis View Post

    M8, i have discussions that spam multiple accounts, you aren't even on my level

  12. #52
    מלך יהודים Zeekar's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Posts
    15,548
    Me gusta that dell.


    

  13. #53
    Nobody_Holme's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 11, 2011
    Location
    On a Bote
    Posts
    5,969
    Well, I'll stand by the mac as the best choice for reasonable performance combined with battery life.

    Also, I am still yet to see a MAC that costs even close to the same for similar performance to a non-mac. The mac will have a load of extras onboard that dont really matter to anyone (mebbe the webcam being HD will to some people, I guess) to justify that, though, apparently, which I had, I admit, been ignoring. And the mac will also have much better battery life for the price, or specs, which is wierd because they're not very far ahead on smartphone battery life.

  14. #54

    Join Date
    April 12, 2011
    Posts
    2,810
    The iPhone typically has a much smaller battery than most other smartphones. When you look at devices that have a similar battery, they don't far very well.

  15. #55
    Donor
    Join Date
    April 11, 2011
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    1,027
    Hi battery life...

    http://www.theverge.com/2013/6/17/44...w-13-inch-2013

    The bane of the average coffee shop owner.

  16. #56
    Movember '11 Best Facial Hair, Best 'Tache Movember 2011Movember 2012Donor helgur's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 24, 2011
    Location
    Putting owls in your Moss
    Posts
    10,108
    Chassis: Carbon fiber

  17. #57
    FatFreddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Posts
    14,812
    Quote Originally Posted by Nobody_Holme View Post
    Well, I'll stand by the mac as the best choice for reasonable performance combined with battery life.

    Also, I am still yet to see a MAC that costs even close to the same for similar performance to a non-mac. The mac will have a load of extras onboard that dont really matter to anyone (mebbe the webcam being HD will to some people, I guess) to justify that, though, apparently, which I had, I admit, been ignoring. And the mac will also have much better battery life for the price, or specs, which is wierd because they're not very far ahead on smartphone battery life.
    You know what's funny?

    Battery performance is the weakest rated point of the (excellently rated) Macbook Air.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot
    Pastry.. That the best you can do?
    Quote Originally Posted by NotXenosis View Post

    M8, i have discussions that spam multiple accounts, you aren't even on my level

  18. #58
    Nobody_Holme's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 11, 2011
    Location
    On a Bote
    Posts
    5,969
    Whut.

  19. #59
    Donor
    Join Date
    April 11, 2011
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    1,027
    Quote Originally Posted by Nobody_Holme View Post
    Whut.
    Russia probably doesn't have the Haswell yet, they're still on pre-Ivy CPUs.

  20. #60
    Nobody_Holme's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 11, 2011
    Location
    On a Bote
    Posts
    5,969
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Waagaa again.


Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •