hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 1 of 26 123411 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 508

Thread: Mac or PC

  1. #1
    Flightly's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 26, 2013
    Posts
    149

    Mac or PC

    The age-old debate. I've used both. At the moment, I have a MacBook Pro. No complaints about it. I've also got an iPhone and am considering an iPad. Almost every music director that I know uses Apple products. From the tech's point of view, which is better?
    to live would be an awfully big adventure

  2. #2
    dpidcoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 29, 2011
    Location
    San diego
    Posts
    4,908
    Posting on the ground floor of a soon to be epic troll thread?

    e for content:
    From a tech POV, the downside of apple is that they seem to think that you don't own your hardware, and keep trying to lock their hardware to the OS. It's not as bad now as it used to be, but they still do questionable things (needless iphone connector change being one of the recent ones). They also tend to put a rather large markup on the hardware they do sell, even if it's exactly the same (except with an apple logo) as generic stuff you could get elsewhere.

    Basically the only reason to use apple from a tech POV (besides compatibility, e.g. this thing needs to be apple to work) is situations in which both value for the money and fine control over hardware selection don't matter.
    Last edited by dpidcoe; June 16 2013 at 01:14:10 AM.

  3. #3
    Movember 2012 Zekk Pacus's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 11, 2011
    Posts
    7,977
    How much money do you have to spend? If you have the premium to spend for Apple products and you like their ecosystem, go for an iMac. If you want value for money, buy a PC. The actual technical differences are non-existent as they both run on the same CPU.
    'I'm pro life. I'm a non-smoker. I'm a pro-life non-smoker. WOO, Let the party begin!'

  4. #4
    Movember '11 Best Facial Hair, Best 'Tache Movember 2011Movember 2012Donor helgur's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 24, 2011
    Location
    Putting owls in your Moss
    Posts
    10,109
    Quote Originally Posted by Flightly View Post
    The age-old debate. I've used both. At the moment, I have a MacBook Pro. No complaints about it. I've also got an iPhone and am considering an iPad. Almost every music director that I know uses Apple products. From the tech's point of view, which is better?
    Get the fuck out. Nobody is interested in your opinions

    Posted from an iMac

  5. #5
    Lana Torrin's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 13, 2011
    Location
    Bonding around
    Posts
    19,675
    Quote Originally Posted by Zekk Pacus View Post
    The actual technical differences are non-existent as they both run on the same CPU.
    Give or take.. This.

    Have both + android. No preference.
    Quote Originally Posted by lubica
    And her name was Limul Azgoden, a lowly peasant girl.

  6. #6
    Donor Aea's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 13, 2011
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    14,551
    Go with whatever you prefer.

    I do love my macs though, software engineers typically do though =P

  7. #7

    Join Date
    August 18, 2011
    Posts
    2,922
    Is there any reason one couldn't buy a suitably specced pc and install macos on it? Or is Macos sufficiently fussy about the hardware that this wouldn't actually save you any money?

  8. #8
    Super Moderator Global Moderator QuackBot's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 7, 2012
    Posts
    21,326
    Quote Originally Posted by dpidcoe View Post
    Posting on the ground floor of a soon to be epic troll thread?

    e for content:
    From a tech POV, the downside of apple is that they seem to think that you don't own your hardware, and keep trying to lock their hardware to the OS. It's not as bad now as it used to be, but they still do questionable things (needless iphone connector change being one of the recent ones). They also tend to put a rather large markup on the hardware they do sell, even if it's exactly the same (except with an apple logo) as generic stuff you could get elsewhere.

    Basically the only reason to use apple from a tech POV (besides compatibility, e.g. this thing needs to be apple to work) is situations in which both value for the money and fine control over hardware selection don't matter.
    On that thread.

  9. #9
    Donor Aea's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 13, 2011
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    14,551
    Quote Originally Posted by definatelynotKKassandra View Post
    Is there any reason one couldn't buy a suitably specced pc and install macos on it? Or is Macos sufficiently fussy about the hardware that this wouldn't actually save you any money?
    It's called a Hackintosh, but most of the people in that community end up buying a real one and giving up on the hacking.

  10. #10
    Super Moderator DonorGlobal Moderator
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Posts
    3,701
    Paging the monkeysphere to this thread

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

  11. #11
    dpidcoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 29, 2011
    Location
    San diego
    Posts
    4,908
    Quote Originally Posted by Aea View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by definatelynotKKassandra View Post
    Is there any reason one couldn't buy a suitably specced pc and install macos on it? Or is Macos sufficiently fussy about the hardware that this wouldn't actually save you any money?
    It's called a Hackintosh, but most of the people in that community end up buying a real one and giving up on the hacking.
    I tried to make one back in 2007. It crashed constantly.

    I thought about trying it again recently, but all my working hardware is amd.

  12. #12
    Ingame: Mari Eltera Jalif's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    Snuffed Out
    Posts
    1,418
    All my live I've been using PC, until January 2013 and I switched to MacBook Retina.

    Apple has great products (not all, some are just retarted expensive) and my MacBook is running like a Boss. Tech wise it is a nice piece of tool which you can rely on. In my case I use it for my Motion Graphics, 3D & VideoJockey and barely have even a hickup.

    There is one thing that I "hate" about mac and that is game compatiblity (which is actually a positive thing for me). However that is easily fixed by using bootcamp.

    It really depends what you want tho. Thank god they are moving closer to eachother.

  13. #13

    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Posts
    831
    I can understand techie people buying OS X based notebooks. Its the comfort of OS X + a proper native UNIX environment (with homebrew), so not bad.
    Windows cant offer anything better than cygwin, and Linux/BSD on desktop really isnt for everyone.

    When it comes to mobile devices i fucking hate both iOS and Android, so why pay twice as much to get basically the same shit? + Android is a little less restrictive

  14. #14
    Movember 2011 RazoR's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    The Motherland
    Posts
    32,495
    Most obvious troll since the last ralara resurfacing.

    mac is for fagz

  15. #15
    Frug's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    13,869
    Quote Originally Posted by n0th View Post
    I can understand techie people buying OS X based notebooks. Its the comfort of OS X + a proper native UNIX environment (with homebrew), so not bad.
    Windows cant offer anything better than cygwin, and Linux/BSD on desktop really isnt for everyone.

    When it comes to mobile devices i fucking hate both iOS and Android, so why pay twice as much to get basically the same shit? + Android is a little less restrictive
    C

    Quote Originally Posted by Loire
    I'm too stupid to say anything that deserves being in your magnificent signature.

  16. #16
    Donor LoudSpeakly's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 13, 2011
    Location
    AM Radio
    Posts
    622
    Who is your fixit-person? Ask 'em which platform they know better. Buy that one.

    tapahrgjrmnrhmnn

  17. #17
    Movember 2012 Zekk Pacus's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 11, 2011
    Posts
    7,977
    It'll be PC then as you can't repair Macs.

    Not even in software. OSX fucks up? Grats, reinstall.
    'I'm pro life. I'm a non-smoker. I'm a pro-life non-smoker. WOO, Let the party begin!'

  18. #18
    Movember 2012 Stoffl's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    The original viennese waffle
    Posts
    23,078
    fags

  19. #19
    Lana Torrin's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 13, 2011
    Location
    Bonding around
    Posts
    19,675
    Quote Originally Posted by Zekk Pacus View Post
    It'll be PC then as you can't repair Macs.

    Not even in software. OSX fucks up? Grats, reinstall.
    Since when?
    Quote Originally Posted by lubica
    And her name was Limul Azgoden, a lowly peasant girl.

  20. #20
    Donor
    Join Date
    April 11, 2011
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    1,027
    For laptops, nothing can beat the MacBook Pro Retina 15".

    Happily posted from one.

    They're light, quick, have a good OS.

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •