hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 3 of 163 FirstFirst 1234561353103 ... LastLast

Thread: So.. 1984 US Edition

Moral of this story:

If you give a shit about anything on the internet, encrypt it you dumb fucks.

(also, sending data across a public medium and assuming its secure, why would you do this?)

Quote Originally Posted by Nobody_Holme View Post
    Moral of this story:

(also, sending data across a public medium and assuming its secure, why would you do this?)
    In before: hard encryption methods are illegal in the US!

(They are ...)

Donor
    Quote Originally Posted by Bartholomeus Crane View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Nobody_Holme View Post
    Moral of this story:

In before: hard encryption methods are illegal in the US!

(They are ...)
    Bart you fucktard, it's illegal to export (at a high level) recently relaxed due to some such agreement.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wassenaar_Arrangement

Domestic use is still and always has been a hands off scenario.

You have to look elsewhere to find countries that make encryption illegal. If you are refering to PGP then the breech of the export restriction (putting it on the internet) was found to be covered by free speech by the supreme court and thus not illegal like people love to insinuate.

fone poastin

Movember 2011Movember 2012 Nordstern's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Miep View Post
    So lets talk about non us citizens and companies....
    Thats proberbly the biggest case of economic espionage of all time. and everybody worried about china.
    There is a perception that the CIA has for years (since the end of the Cold War, probably) been moving away from gathering information on countries and more towards gathering business intelligence.

My biggest gripe with PRISM isn't that the US is spying on it's citizens. It's done that forever in some form or another. My gripe is that there probably aren't stringent controls on who has access to the data. I'm talking specifically about non-government entities, like private individuals, companies, shady organizations, etc. Why pay for the opinions of a market analyst (who are usually wrong) when you can get rock-solid insight into your competition by looking at their mails and R&D?
    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm
    Quote Originally Posted by Larkonis Trassler View Post
    WTF I hate white people now...

reverse engineering? Hahaha

To: Larry Page

Give us your protocols or else.

ref: Patriot Act
    To: NSA

I've had my lawyers look at this. It seems I can't refuse. Here they are.

attachment: protocols
    Done. Google is now part of project *blankityblank*. Date: 1/14/09.
    It's all just lawful interception if you have the appropriate laws.

So much for 'direct access' (whatever that will be defined as next): http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013...acebook-google

Quote Originally Posted by Ab Tallen View Post

Did say anything about illegality?

Just that that under the current laws there's no real practical need for 'reverse engineering' protocols or frankly anything.

The patriot act gives the NSA the legal means to simply demand protocols (or whatever else they need) directly (if the Fisa court approves it; and it approves almost everything). Combine that with the 'stream' tapped 'into the secret room' at some telco and the NSA should have enough to process it. All the while giving the Googles and Facebooks enough coverage for denial of any and all 'direct access' (most of it bogus).

The whole 'direct access' denial is just a smokescreen. A well rehearsed story (almost identical among all denials coincidently) that is most probably true. The NSA doesn't need or want (too many people involved) direct access to servers. It's got everything else already. And it didn't need 'reverse engineering' to get it either.

This is the end of 'the Cloud' though ... (and funny that the internet backbone companies haven't been mentioned yet)

Has no one thought to mention how that leaked presentation looks like a fucking 2-year-old made it, though?

I'd have expected the NSA to have at least a LITTLE professionalism with their presentations. Then again, who knows.

Just that that under the current laws there's no real practical need for 'reverse engineering' protocols or frankly anything.

The patriot act gives the NSA the legal means to simply demand protocols (or whatever else they need) directly (if the Fisa court approves it; and it approves almost everything). Combine that with the 'stream' tapped 'into the secret room' at some telco and the NSA should have enough to process it. All the while giving the Googles and Facebooks enough coverage for denial of any and all 'direct access' (most of it bogus).

The whole 'direct access' denial is just a smokescreen. A well rehearsed story (almost identical among all denials coincidently) that is most probably true. The NSA doesn't need or want (too many people involved) direct access to servers. It's got everything else already. And it didn't need 'reverse engineering' to get it either.

This is the end of 'the Cloud' though ... (and funny that the internet backbone companies haven't been mentioned yet)
    Eh internet "backbone" companies have already been implicated ages ago, example what happened at AT&T:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Room_641A

Donor
    It's ok folks, William Hague took to the TV today to tell us all that "Law-abiding Britons have nothing to fear" from covert surveillance. Crisis averted.

Was it Philip K. Dick that wrote a story, involving the US Government employing telepaths? story also had telepathic hoods, that prevented thoughts being read. Wearing a hood was a crime.

King of the Food Thread
    Quote Originally Posted by Durzel View Post
    It's ok folks, William Hague took to the TV today to tell us all that "Law-abiding Britons have nothing to fear" from covert surveillance. Crisis averted.
    The most terrifying bit to this "scandal" is that politician apparently do not see anything wrong with collecting all the phone metadate (w/o ever deleting it ?) of their citizien and to read/collect/analyse foreign internet data. And seemingly they are correct if you consider the public outcry the appropiate measure for it (which of couse it is for politicians). Clearly the right to bear automatic weaponry is the far more important right (of course, its far more fun). You also need the guns to fight the tyrannical goverment. Oh wait...

Its also entertaining that apparently its all good on the internet data front cause its only foreign data (based on some form of filter with a sucess rate of about 50% as some media is reporting). Clearly those pesky foreigner have no rights whatsover, the should be happy to not be held w/o trial in some shithole or bombed by a drone.

The most embarrasing part will be the reaction of the EU. They will state some sort of unsubstantial protest and then file whatever is necessary to gain access to the data.

Also, Obama earned a courtesy titel. From now on he will go by the name of Barack Hussein "Palpatine" Obama.

Donor
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Marshall View Post
    Already assumed it was happening.
    No kidding. The only surprising thing here is that so many people are surprised about this.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Marshall View Post
    Not terribly worried about it since they cant legally look at the data without a warrant at the criminal level when it comes to court-cases involving US Citizens.
    That's a lot of data. A LOT of data. As we all well know, in today's world information is power. Information is more powerful than guys with guns, really. Only a matter of time before the program is abused to hell and back in some way, a massive data breach happens, or some other equally terrible thing happens (either by fuckup or out of malicious intent).

Governments in general are too full of assholes to be trusted. The difference is that we're not really living in Orwell's 1984 - we're really in Huxly's Brave New World.

Spoiler:

Scary thing is they were both right.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeekar View Post
    Scary thing is they were both right.

Banned
    Only one here to predict a win for God Emperor
    Hey sheeple, as a renowned BitTorrent client developer I got some good news. Encrypted BT traffic was a few years ago the single greatest source of non-parseable traffic, to the point where law enforcement complained they could no longer catch the pedophiles.

So go forth and share that movie, cause you're doing your part to keep us free.
    Are you an engineer? -- Quack

I actually wanted to reinforce what you were saying. Lawful interception is just the technical term for that - protocols to collect data from communications infrastructure- or service providers. No need to send anyone over to fetch a couple of disks.

Anybody else suspect that China may be behind the leak or fabrication of some of this?

It seems oddly suspicious that on the week that Obama was expected to confront China about their espionage program that this breaks loose.

Quote Originally Posted by Aea View Post
    Anybody else suspect that China may be behind the leak or fabrication of some of this?

It seems oddly suspicious that on the week that Obama was expected to confront China about their espionage program that this breaks loose.
    They might have supplied the info to the press yes. But as said before nobody is surprised they are doing this.

Quote Originally Posted by Rakshasa The Cat View Post
    Hey sheeple, as a renowned BitTorrent client developer I got some good news. Encrypted BT traffic was a few years ago the single greatest source of non-parseable traffic, to the point where law enforcement complained they could no longer catch the pedophiles.
    Doesn't matter as soon as they just participate in a swarm and collect information about all the peers. No one does bittorrent traffic analysis by looking at packets on the wire anymore.