hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 162 of 163 FirstFirst ... 62112152159160161162163 LastLast
Results 3,221 to 3,240 of 3245

Thread: So.. 1984 US Edition

Quote Originally Posted by erichkknaar View Post
    And of this, there is no proof.
    If only there was some sort of neutral venue where these kind of issues could be decided. Like a court.

There is even some stuff in the french complaint that make the complaint itself look like a lot of bullshit ("Fake message icons"), so idk, not as cut and dried as you make out.
    I mean there are literally screenshots of this so i dont know how this is bullshit

I can't wait for the EU to fine the equivalent amount of tax the tech giants have avoided paying in Europe.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Mason
    It is absurd that we are capable of witnessing a 40,000 year old system of gender oppression begin to dissolve before our eyes yet still see the abolition of a 200 year old economic system as an unrealistic utopia.

More turbo-lightspeed neoliberal platitudes/virtue signaling/misplaced priorities on full display.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    I can't wait for the EU to fine the equivalent amount of tax the tech giants have avoided paying in Europe.
    or what, 4% of global revenue?

going to be interesting

Quote Originally Posted by elmicker View Post
    without literally any possibilities anyone actually could have been harmed
    This just in: internet companies literally could not abuse your personal data until the stroke of midnight may 28th 2018!

Stop being daft
    Does the regulation allow for retroactive punishments? Is there some principle of guilty until proven innocent at play here? Like I said, I have no problems with fines, assuming there is harm. The problem is assuming there is harm without proof there is harm...
    See, the legal part of your argument has already been addressed. And the moral part of our has no ground to stand on because it's the biggest ones being sued. If they were suing joe nobody, the moral argument could have a basis. But Google can fucking take a lawsuit to break ground.

And yes, there's amoral lawyers already suing joe nobidy and a big part of the law will be to show that those companies will be protected.
    thankfully there are such provisions already written into the law and european courts are hopefully fed up with being abused by such lawyers and cases.
    Tanks: theBlind[URBAD] (in my heart there will always be a place for [FAIL])
    Planetside2: [UBAD]theAngelic

Quote Originally Posted by Hel OWeen View Post
    No single individual should be able to create billions in potentially frivolous charges because they can create a non profit.
    Sure they can, because it's not for you to determine what is frivolous. That's a job for the court.

Protip: this isn't frivolous and he's got a better-than-evens chance of winning. Just like last time.
    I mean, I’m sure facebook are doing something shitty, and yes it is the courts role to decide it the case has merit. He’s still a digital ambulance chaser and I hope someone mails him CDs again.
    What's your problem with those fines? It's not that layers get a share of the fine, as it's the case in the U.S.
    I have a problem with activists basically blanket sueing without literally any possibilities anyone actually could have been harmed (I think the french complaint was filed literally minutes after the law when into effect).
    I guess you've got the timeline wrong: the GDPR went into effect on 24th May 2016. And it started to be enacted 25th may 2018. So every company had 2 years to prepare itself.

And no one being harmed? I beg your pardon, but haven't you paid attention to all the data breaches over the last decade? The questioning of Zuckerberg not too long ago. The number of times FB got caught violating privacy legislation, even the very lax U.S. ones? And the number of times he'd got away with basically "Oh, I'm soooo sorry, kthxbye"

Quote Originally Posted by XenosisMk4 View Post
    or what, 4% of global revenue?

going to be interesting
    Not Global but in the jurisdiction area so the EU.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn LENNY2 met Tapatalk
    Schopenhauer:

All truth passes through three stages.
    First, it is ridiculed.
    Second, it is violently opposed.
    Third, it is accepted as being self-evident..

No single individual should be able to create billions in potentially frivolous charges because they can create a non profit.
    Sure they can, because it's not for you to determine what is frivolous. That's a job for the court.

Protip: this isn't frivolous and he's got a better-than-evens chance of winning. Just like last time.
    I mean, I’m sure facebook are doing something shitty, and yes it is the courts role to decide it the case has merit. He’s still a digital ambulance chaser and I hope someone mails him CDs again.
    What's your problem with those fines? It's not that layers get a share of the fine, as it's the case in the U.S.
    I have a problem with activists basically blanket sueing without literally any possibilities anyone actually could have been harmed (I think the french complaint was filed literally minutes after the law when into effect).
    I guess you've got the timeline wrong: the GDPR went into effect on 24th May 2016. And it started to be enacted 25th may 2018. So every company had 2 years to prepare itself.

And no one being harmed? I beg your pardon, but haven't you paid attention to all the data breaches over the last decade? The questioning of Zuckerberg not too long ago. The number of times FB got caught violating privacy legislation, even the very lax U.S. ones? And the number of times he'd got away with basically "Oh, I'm soooo sorry, kthxbye"
    What specific, very lax US privacy legislation are you talking bout?
    meh

More turbo-lightspeed neoliberal platitudes/virtue signaling/misplaced priorities on full display.
    I'm sure Google and Apple are thankful that somebody like you is looking out for their bottom line

I'm sure Google and Apple are thankful that somebody like you is looking out for their bottom line
    I'm not. I'm concerned it's going to basically become easier to just exclude the EU from innovation, because of a new class of privacy troll.
    meh

I'm not. I'm concerned it's going to basically become easier to just exclude the EU from innovation, because of a new class of privacy troll.
    hahaha

Can you give me an idea what sort of innovation are thinking? Services that utilize a lot of personal data to predict something, like generating shopping lists automatically for you and such?

Le coeur a ses raisons que la raison ne connaît point. - Blaise Pascal, Pensées, 277

Quote Originally Posted by Timaios View Post
    Can you give me an idea what sort of innovation are thinking? Services that utilize a lot of personal data to predict something, like generating shopping lists automatically for you and such?
    If I had the idea, I'd be off implementing it mate.
    meh

Oh heavans what ever will us euros do, with our shitloads of money and amazing universities.

Have you actually bought into the bullshit that GDPR will stifle innovation and harm development?

>privacy troll

Against Google and Apple, both of who are blatantly in breach of GDPR

Fuck off, this is asinine compared to your usual decent posting.

Have you actually bought into the bullshit that GDPR will stifle innovation and harm development?

>privacy troll

Blatantly.

Can you back that up with proof?
    meh

By sillycon valley standards he's positively enlightened on this topic.

>privacy troll

Blatantly.

Can you back that up with proof?
    I'm sure Googles legal team are glad somebody will back them up on the internet for free

I wonder why you believe what you do, because you've been saturated with "THIS IS BAD BECAUSE uh... INNOVATION" megacorp propaganda?

>Muh tech libertarian utopia

Technology probably won't save the world or solve many of our current social problems which it's arguably helped create.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Mason
    It is absurd that we are capable of witnessing a 40,000 year old system of gender oppression begin to dissolve before our eyes yet still see the abolition of a 200 year old economic system as an unrealistic utopia.

>Muh tech libertarian utopia

Technology probably won't save the world or solve many of our current social problems which it's arguably helped create.
    Expanding access to the wealth of human knowledge via the internet isn't/hasn't been helpful?

Counterpoint: social media.
    "Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered, those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid. Thus the wise win before they fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Zhuge Liang