hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: [Inquisitor]Heap Challenge: The Rules Post

Oh yeah if it wasnt clear from suggesting you brought this game up again: Im in
    Amantus for mod 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016

In

Movember '12 Ginger Excellence Movember 2011Movember 2012 LarkinAlpha's Avatar
    Just FYI I wasn't planning on running this till after Entrox's game, so sign ups aren't needed right now.

Not that I don't appreciate them of course.

Quote Originally Posted by LarkinAlpha View Post
    Just FYI I wasn't planning on running this till after Entrox's game, so sign ups aren't needed right now.

Still looking for more feedback on the rules. Feel free to tell me what's shit and what's not, but be specific so I can fix it.

How does the Interrogator work? One action to capture a player, then a separate action to investigate them for heresy that only works on captured players? Then the interrogator...lets the player go?
    Domination.
    Vote Lark for CSM

Quote Originally Posted by Kilabi View Post

This.

As the other game is on a separate forum, with other names, i'd have no issue playing both at once...

Quote Originally Posted by Navigator Six View Post
    How does the Interrogator work? One action to capture a player, then a separate action to investigate them for heresy that only works on captured players? Then the interrogator...lets the player go?
    The Interrogation (both the Interrogator and the Inquisitor can do it) would happen overnight. I'm thinking 1 Question per night they are held. And yes, they would have to let them go, or attack them and kill them.

After thinking about it though, that particular action seems clunky and I may remove it.

The Interrogation (both the Interrogator and the Inquisitor can do it) would happen overnight. I'm thinking 1 Question per night they are held. And yes, they would have to let them go, or attack them and kill them.

After thinking about it though, that particular action seems clunky and I may remove it.
    Run it similarly to the Jailor maybe?
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot View Post
    Canadians are usually cooler.
    Thermonuclear Banana Split - A not-really-weekly Eclipse Phase campaign journal

Quote Originally Posted by Steph View Post

Run it similarly to the Jailor maybe?
    That was the original thought, but the Jailor is more suited when that's the only thing you can do. THe 2 I's can already investigate and do all the normal actions. When I thought about it more, I couldn't really countenance also letting them imprison someone for a turn or multiples. I've taken it out for now.

Just read through the rules again. A few notes:

Armed is flat out superior to warp touched. Armed give +1 str and retaliate, warp touched just gives +1 str. Not sure if intentional or not.

Who knows each-other's alignments at the start? Do heretics know who eachother are like in mafia? Inquisitor/interrogator know eachother? Gang, arbites, ect?

If I'm reading it right, you can have multiple alignments? For example, lets say I'm a standard citizen, and I get recruited by the heretics. Now I'm both? In that case I can only win with the cult anyways, so what's the point (I can't eliminate all hereitcs since I'm a heretic myself)? I'd suggest a re-wording here since I think I know what you are trying to go with. If I understand correctly you want it to be possible for some members to be heretics, but secretly join other factions. Really their true motive will be to win with the heretics though. So you can have only one alignment, but you can be members of different groups. Sort-of like how in mafia you can be a mafioso, but you could "join" the sheriff's cabal by getting in through trickery. Am I understanding this correctly?

Balance concern: the Inquisition can investigate two people a turn, and can kill one per turn (with an acolyte). This is pretty much the scenario that has crushed mafia games, (2 sheriffs + vigilante working together). Yet they have this setup from the start. I guess the "kill" power ignores strength? On the other side of the coin, the cult has to kill people by attacking, which is pretty much impossible unless they have several turns to build up in numbers. How will they build up in numbers however, if the inquisition is killing them off faster than they pop up?

They can't even kill arbites/inquisition for quite some time, until they have arbites members converted at least. Unarmed cultists can't really do anything to armed and armored good guys. If you look at our mafia games, it's a race to form a good guy bloc before the mafia have killed off too many players. This is the opposite, the cult has few members and no ability to kill at the start, whereas the good guys already have kill powers, three investigate roles, the vast majority of players, and armed/armored guards. Also two public roles make organizing easy, look at how our mayor mafia round went, this will be worse since the cult can't actually touch the good guys. It's like having two indestructible mayors.

I just don't see how the cult has a chance unless they are really lucky and recruit some arbites off the start.
    Last edited by Cool09; June 10 2013 at 04:31:33 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Devec
    Cool09 is the cancer that is corrupting our society and poisoning our children.

WoT: Redglare[VPG]

The cult, if i read this right, starts with some heretic arbiters, and can convert people who're in the cleared block at will. The investigations are not going to clear people.

Quote Originally Posted by Cool09 View Post
    Just read through the rules again. A few notes:

Armed is flat out superior to warp touched. Armed give +1 str and retaliate, warp touched just gives +1 str. Not sure if intentional or not.
    It was, since Warp Touched went to 2 roles and 1 of them has a Kill Power. If it looks like it's a problem we can change it, but I'd like to see how it's balanced.

Who knows each-other's alignments at the start? Do heretics know who eachother are like in mafia? Inquisitor/interrogator know eachother? Gang, arbites, ect?
    Yes, anyone beginning in an Alignment knows the others of that Alignment.

If I'm reading it right, you can have multiple alignments? For example, lets say I'm a standard citizen, and I get recruited by the heretics. Now I'm both? In that case I can only win with the cult anyways, so what's the point (I can't eliminate all hereitcs since I'm a heretic myself)? I'd suggest a re-wording here since I think I know what you are trying to go with. If I understand correctly you want it to be possible for some members to be heretics, but secretly join other factions. Really their true motive will be to win with the heretics though. So you can have only one alignment, but you can be members of different groups. Sort-of like how in mafia you can be a mafioso, but you could "join" the sheriff's cabal by getting in through trickery. Am I understanding this correctly?
    For the most part, but I'm also trying to keep options open. Like if someone really didn't want to be part of that group for whatever reason. An edge case really, but knowing FHC...
    I also wanted to be non-ambiguous about the Gang vs Arbites

Balance concern: the Inquisition can investigate two people a turn, and can kill one per turn (with an acolyte). This is pretty much the scenario that has crushed mafia games, (2 sheriffs + vigilante working together). Yet they have this setup from the start. I guess the "kill" power ignores strength? On the other side of the coin, the cult has to kill people by attacking, which is pretty much impossible unless they have several turns to build up in numbers. How will they build up in numbers however, if the inquisition is killing them off faster than they pop up?
    It will be Turn 3 at the earliest the Inquisition could be doing this, and the only way that happens is if they don't check their first recruitment target. So Turn 4, they've investigated a number of people, but the Cult probably has doubled their number at least. And see Nobody's mention below.

They can't even kill arbites/inquisition for quite some time, until they have arbites members converted at least. Unarmed cultists can't really do anything to armed and armored good guys. If you look at our mafia games, it's a race to form a good guy bloc before the mafia have killed off too many players. This is the opposite, the cult has few members and no ability to kill at the start, whereas the good guys already have kill powers, three investigate roles, the vast majority of players, and armed/armored guards. Also two public roles make organizing easy, look at how our mayor mafia round went, this will be worse since the cult can't actually touch the good guys. It's like having two indestructible mayors.
    It's probably easiest for the Cult to convert people rather than kill them. And if the Inquisitor goes public, the Arbites has to split it's attention making the Priest more vulnerable.

I just don't see how the cult has a chance unless they are really lucky and recruit some arbites off the start.
    It's quite likely they'll get a few armed people off the start. I want to see how it goes, and if it doesn't work we can increase the cult's starting numbers accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Nobody_Holme View Post
    The cult, if i read this right, starts with some heretic arbiters, and can convert people who're in the cleared block at will. The investigations are not going to clear people.
    They don't start with Heretic Arbiters, but yes, they can recruit ANYBODY (except the Priest). Even the Inquisitor's Acolytes...

Super Baderator DonorGlobal Moderator cullnean's Avatar
    The tower of power, too sweet to be sour, ohhhh yeahh!
    Can I be an orc again?
    Quote Originally Posted by Elriche Oshego View Post
    Cullneshi the god of shitposting.

Quote Originally Posted by cullnean View Post
    Can I be an orc again?
    Sure, but an Ork would be quite obvious and you'd probably be lynched AND night killed on the first turn.

I swapped some things around in the rules, namely the +1 and -1 Strength stuff. Defensive (Assist, Armored) things now give + Strength and offensive (Armed, Warp Touched) things - Strength. Strength can't go Below 0 as well.
    I clarified the Kill action as well (I forgot to italicize something) to make it more clear. Note that the Kill action CAN FAIL, it just ignores the Target's Status.
    I also changed Protect to Assist. You now help (aka lend Strength and Status) to someone else's Action. This was always implicit, but should be easier for a group with a leader to represent. It's functionally the same, but probably a bit clearer to get the point across. It also allows for sneaky nighttime plays by someone who's build up a group of willing helpers.
    I added facts onto the end of the Attack action as well. I intended that if someone survived an attack, they would know who had attacked them, but now it's written down.

Have read rules again. Still looks like this to me.

Ο πλανήτης σας έχει κριθεί Αιρετικό από το Άγιο του αυτοκράτορα Ιερά Εξέταση. Δυστυχώς, είναι πολύ πολύτιμη για να καταστρέψει, έτσι ώστε η Ιερά Εξέταση έχει λάβει, ελαφρώς διαφορετική προσέγγιση.
    Ο καθένας στον πλανήτη σας έχει αφαιρεθεί από το σπίτι τους και τοποθετήθηκαν σε στρατόπεδα συγκέντρωσης. Έχετε όλοι έχουν ειδοποιηθεί ότι υπάρχουν αιρετικοί μεταξύ σας και ότι είστε υπεύθυνοι για την εξοικονόμηση εαυτό σας. Ένα μέλος του Ecclesiarchy έχει προβλεφθεί για τη φροντίδα για τις ψυχές σας, αλλά είναι στο χέρι σας, κάτοικοι του εγκλεισμού στρατόπεδο 683 για να εξαλείψουμε τις cultists ανάμεσά σας.

Υπάρχουν 3 Ευθυγραμμίσεις σε αυτό το παιχνίδι, πολιτών, Ιεράς Εξέτασης και παρανοϊκή. Το αντικείμενο είναι για τους πολίτες (με τη βοήθεια της Ιεράς Εξέτασης) για να σκοτώσει όλα τα cultists. Υπάρχουν, επίσης, φατρίες μέσα το σύνολο των πολιτών, το όνομα του Arbites και τους εργοδηγούς, που έχουν τους δικούς τους στόχους.

Ο καθένας στο παιχνίδι μπορεί να κάνει ενέργειες το βράδυ. Ορισμένοι ρόλοι χορηγήσει περισσότερες δράσεις. Κάθε μέρα, ο καθένας καλείται να ψηφίσει, και να ψηφίσουν στο κοινό, για να καίγονται το ένα από τον αριθμό σας στην αναζήτηση του cultists. Στο τέλος όμως, έρχεται κάτω σε υπολογίζει ποιος είναι ποιος, και προσπαθεί να κρατήσει ζωντανή την πλευρά σας.
    Quote Originally Posted by lubica
    And her name was Limul Azgoden, a lowly peasant girl.

Quote Originally Posted by Lana Torrin View Post
    Have read rules again. Still looks like this to me.

Ο πλανήτης σας έχει κριθεί Αιρετικό από το Άγιο του αυτοκράτορα Ιερά Εξέταση. Δυστυχώς, είναι πολύ πολύτιμη για να καταστρέψει, έτσι ώστε η Ιερά Εξέταση έχει λάβει, ελαφρώς διαφορετική προσέγγιση.
    Ο καθένας στον πλανήτη σας έχει αφαιρεθεί από το σπίτι τους και τοποθετήθηκαν σε στρατόπεδα συγκέντρωσης. Έχετε όλοι έχουν ειδοποιηθεί ότι υπάρχουν αιρετικοί μεταξύ σας και ότι είστε υπεύθυνοι για την εξοικονόμηση εαυτό σας. Ένα μέλος του Ecclesiarchy έχει προβλεφθεί για τη φροντίδα για τις ψυχές σας, αλλά είναι στο χέρι σας, κάτοικοι του εγκλεισμού στρατόπεδο 683 για να εξαλείψουμε τις cultists ανάμεσά σας.

Υπάρχουν 3 Ευθυγραμμίσεις σε αυτό το παιχνίδι, πολιτών, Ιεράς Εξέτασης και παρανοϊκή. Το αντικείμενο είναι για τους πολίτες (με τη βοήθεια της Ιεράς Εξέτασης) για να σκοτώσει όλα τα cultists. Υπάρχουν, επίσης, φατρίες μέσα το σύνολο των πολιτών, το όνομα του Arbites και τους εργοδηγούς, που έχουν τους δικούς τους στόχους.

Ο καθένας στο παιχνίδι μπορεί να κάνει ενέργειες το βράδυ. Ορισμένοι ρόλοι χορηγήσει περισσότερες δράσεις. Κάθε μέρα, ο καθένας καλείται να ψηφίσει, και να ψηφίσουν στο κοινό, για να καίγονται το ένα από τον αριθμό σας στην αναζήτηση του cultists. Στο τέλος όμως, έρχεται κάτω σε υπολογίζει ποιος είναι ποιος, και προσπαθεί να κρατήσει ζωντανή την πλευρά σας.
    Your planet has been deemed heretical emperor of the Holy Inquisition. Unfortunately, it is very valuable to destroy, so the Inquisition has taken slightly different approach.
    Everyone on the planet you have been removed from their home and placed in concentration camps. You have all been notified that there are heretics among you and that you are responsible for saving yourself. A member of the Ecclesiarchy has made to care for your souls, but it is in your hand, residents incarceration camp 683 to weed out the cultists among you.

There are three alignments in this game, society, Inquisition and paranoid. This article is for citizens (with the help of the Inquisition) to kill all the cultists. There are also factions within the citizenry, the name of Arbites and superintendents, who have their own goals.

Anyone in the game can make actions in the evening. Some roles offered more actions. Every day, everyone is invited to vote and to vote in public to burn one of your number in search of cultists. But in the end, it comes down to figuring out who is who, and trying to keep alive your side.
    Perfectly clear...

How can I help you get it Lana? Seriously, if we can figure that out, it'll probably make the rules a ton clearer.

How can I help you get it Lana? Seriously, if we can figure that out, it'll probably make the rules a ton clearer.
    5-10 years of therapy?

I honestly think this is just one of those things my brain is not willing to accept. Usually if I haven't got something on the 3rd time though it doesn't matter how its explained, im not going to get it. Perhaps a play though will help me?

Is it a specific section that you dont get, or the whole thing?

Quote Originally Posted by Nobody_Holme View Post
    Is it a specific section that you dont get, or the whole thing?
    The whole thing. I know I said this before, but I don't understand how everything interacts or how things are accomplished or what the various goals are for each group/person. I'm really not that worried about it, it sounds like you have enough people that get it to give it a try and perhaps following a game will make it suddenly click.