hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 99 of 101 FirstFirst ... 498996979899100101 LastLast
Results 1,961 to 1,980 of 2004

Thread: tragic : the gathering

Quote Originally Posted by Lorkin Desal View Post
    In Yesterdays 2HG we were 2-0 drop, as had to bail. Below is my deck.

http://imgur.com/a/2lTdV
    Jesus

That deck is pretty much fixing, bombs and removal.

I am never that lucky. Didn't open a single mythic in three pre-release pools and 6 reward boosters

Super Moderator Global Moderator QuackBot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaftoes View Post

Jesus

I am never that lucky. Didn't open a single mythic in three pre-release pools and 6 reward boosters
    Three and a half.

Thought you chaps might like to see our EDH scoreboard.

Quote Originally Posted by Smuggo View Post

Looks good. Red player needs to pull their finger out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Virtuozzo
    The evolution of the meme. From shipspinning to meatspinning.

Quote Originally Posted by Lorkin Desal View Post

Looks good. Red player needs to pull their finger out.
    That's me

Also I got a ton of pins after that photo was taken with Brago strangling the board.

Legacy tourney at the weekend, expecting about 40 people again, hoping I can do better this time after throwing a game against a Big Red deck due to an erroneous FoW in g3 last month which put me out of the top8 running. I've streamlined my list a bit so now running 12 1-drop creatures and put pyrostatic pillar in my side as another option against Storm, and also more rough//tumble to deal with D&T as it keeps performing strongly in the local meta.

Also toying with upping to 4 price of progress in the 75 cos Grixis is just storming ahead of the pack right now and I love to take advantage of a greedy mana base.

That feeling when you get a big trade in the post.

I'll give you that. The money is good as it is.

Does soul scar mage see play in legacy?

Surprising if so, I would have thought swiftspear was strictly better.

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/ur-prowess-hou/

This what I am playing in standard until rotation. Surprisingly flexible and fun.

Does soul scar mage see play in legacy?

Surprising if so, I would have thought swiftspear was strictly better.

This what I am playing in standard until rotation. Surprisingly flexible and fun.
    Swiftspear is better and that's why I play 4 of them, but soul scar is the next best prowess 1-drop so I'm running 3 of them. It's got good utility with rough//tumble in the sideboard and helps deal with things like Goyf and Gurmag Angler.

Annnnnnnnd SCG has just done a major pricing revision for all reserved list cards. Since it is widely used as a pricing benchmark we can expect all these cards to get quite a bit more expensive now and eternal formats to be pushed even further out of reach thanks to the moronic reserved list policy...

Seems like a lot of clicks) i sold it for 55b (-2 plex), that means i made 6b more by not listening to you.

Did a writeup of the 50-man tournament I attended yesterday for The Source thread on the deck. Ended up dropping in round 5 of 7 as was out of running for top 8. Thought I'd share.

I played this list:

4 Delver
    4 Swiftspear
    3 Soul-scar Mage
    1 Grim Lavamancer
    2 Stormchaser

4 Brainstorm
    4 Ponder
    4 Git Probe
    4 Daze
    4 Force
    4 Lightning Bolt
    4 Chain Lightning
    2 PoP

3 Volc
    2 Island
    2 Mountain
    4 Scalding Tarn
    3 Flooded Strand
    2 Bloodstained Mire

Sideboard:
    2 Pyrostatic Pillar
    1 Pithing Needle
    1 Flusterstorm
    1 Pyroblast
    1 Spell pierce
    1 Vapor Snag
    2 Surgical extraction
    2 Smash to Smithereens
    1 Dismember
    2 Rough//Rumble
    1 PoP

Match 1 vs Punishing Fire: 2-1

Game 1 I start off ok but he's able to keep my board thin with punishing fire. Then he gets a Knight of the Reliquary down, quickly followed by another, to slow my ground creature damage and is able to buy time to fetch out Dark Depths and I conceded with Marit Lage going down in my end step. Game 2 I just had a super aggressive hand and drew into more bolts after that and was able to kill him in no time. Game 3 he goes all in dumping two mox diamonds to get a turn 1 Lilli on the table but then I play pithing needle on my first turn and leave him stuck topdecking with a useless planeswalker in play.

Match 2 vs Merfolk : 0-2

Game 1 I realise it is merfolk, try to counter the aether vial but he has force up. I put up a bit of a fight and it was close but he was able to get island walk back in what was likely to be his last turn before I kill him and ignore all my blockers. Game 2 I counter a chalice on 1 but again he has a force ready. I figure I have a chance of topdecking smash to smithereens but then he follows with another chalice and I concede with a hand of 3 lightning bolt and 2 chain lightning, bad times.

Match 3 vs Goblins: 2-0

He never managed to find an Aether vial in game 1 and I kept his most annoying goblins under control with bolts, pretty simple wins in both games.

Match 4 vs Goblins: 0-2

Yet another tribal matchup. Game 1 I get some good early damage down but he is able to just keep filling up the board and putting blockers in my way until his board state got out of control. Game 2 he gets an okay start and I fail to blind flip a delver 3 turns in a row and then it gets killed, but he whiffs a ringleader and a well timed rough//rumble gives me a chance with his hand mostly empty. I get him to 3 life but he has some blockers up again. I then manage to draw land 4 turns in a row and lose.

Martch 5 vs Miracles: 0-2

Always a bad matchup it is back. I regretted having pyrostatic pillar here instead of sulfuric vortex. Game 1 I didn't realise it was miracles until I had 3 boys on the board and they prompty eat a terminus, bad times. From then I can't really recover and eventually he gets a monastery mentor to stick and I go down. Game 2 it a bit more even, I commit to board slowly to force him to terminus a single creature and it is working well and rough//tumble + soul-scar makes short work of his attempt to flood me with mentors. I get him down to 1 life but am topdecking and he has a snapcaster on the board, get two ponders in a row countered, then draw a brainstorm with 3 life left. Find two daze and a fetch and using the latter to shuffle would mean i die next turn so it's another GG to miracles.

Did a writeup of the 50-man tournament I attended yesterday for The Source thread on the deck. Ended up dropping in round 5 of 7 as was out of running for top 8. Thought I'd share.

I played this list:

4 Delver
    4 Swiftspear
    3 Soul-scar Mage
    1 Grim Lavamancer
    2 Stormchaser

4 Brainstorm
    4 Ponder
    4 Git Probe
    4 Daze
    4 Force
    4 Lightning Bolt
    4 Chain Lightning
    2 PoP

3 Volc
    2 Island
    2 Mountain
    4 Scalding Tarn
    3 Flooded Strand
    2 Bloodstained Mire

Sideboard:
    2 Pyrostatic Pillar
    1 Pithing Needle
    1 Flusterstorm
    1 Pyroblast
    1 Spell pierce
    1 Vapor Snag
    2 Surgical extraction
    2 Smash to Smithereens
    1 Dismember
    2 Rough//Rumble
    1 PoP

Match 1 vs Punishing Fire: 2-1

Game 1 I start off ok but he's able to keep my board thin with punishing fire. Then he gets a Knight of the Reliquary down, quickly followed by another, to slow my ground creature damage and is able to buy time to fetch out Dark Depths and I conceded with Marit Lage going down in my end step. Game 2 I just had a super aggressive hand and drew into more bolts after that and was able to kill him in no time. Game 3 he goes all in dumping two mox diamonds to get a turn 1 Lilli on the table but then I play pithing needle on my first turn and leave him stuck topdecking with a useless planeswalker in play.

Match 2 vs Merfolk : 0-2

Game 1 I realise it is merfolk, try to counter the aether vial but he has force up. I put up a bit of a fight and it was close but he was able to get island walk back in what was likely to be his last turn before I kill him and ignore all my blockers. Game 2 I counter a chalice on 1 but again he has a force ready. I figure I have a chance of topdecking smash to smithereens but then he follows with another chalice and I concede with a hand of 3 lightning bolt and 2 chain lightning, bad times.

Match 3 vs Goblins: 2-0

He never managed to find an Aether vial in game 1 and I kept his most annoying goblins under control with bolts, pretty simple wins in both games.

Match 4 vs Goblins: 0-2

Yet another tribal matchup. Game 1 I get some good early damage down but he is able to just keep filling up the board and putting blockers in my way until his board state got out of control. Game 2 he gets an okay start and I fail to blind flip a delver 3 turns in a row and then it gets killed, but he whiffs a ringleader and a well timed rough//rumble gives me a chance with his hand mostly empty. I get him to 3 life but he has some blockers up again. I then manage to draw land 4 turns in a row and lose.

Martch 5 vs Miracles: 0-2

Always a bad matchup it is back. I regretted having pyrostatic pillar here instead of sulfuric vortex. Game 1 I didn't realise it was miracles until I had 3 boys on the board and they prompty eat a terminus, bad times. From then I can't really recover and eventually he gets a monastery mentor to stick and I go down. Game 2 it a bit more even, I commit to board slowly to force him to terminus a single creature and it is working well and rough//tumble + soul-scar makes short work of his attempt to flood me with mentors. I get him down to 1 life but am topdecking and he has a snapcaster on the board, get two ponders in a row countered, then draw a brainstorm with 3 life left. Find two daze and a fetch and using the latter to shuffle would mean i die next turn so it's another GG to miracles.
    Thanks for the write up! Sounds a bit rough out there...

Sent from my SM-N915FY using Tapatalk

Jesus

Three and a half.

Came third in modern fnm so not bad for the first time playing modern in about nine months. Pity the current block is jank so no great pull but got one of these nice new shiny full art basics.

So this is going to be my standard deck for this set.

It is sadly quite expensive due to the fact it uses quite a lot of the same bits as the mono red deck that won the pro tour. Chandra is 30 quid now and sees fringe modern play. Quite happy I got most of my copies before she went up in price
    Last edited by Shaftoes; July 31 2017 at 04:19:04 PM.

TBH that Chandra is pretty strong and potentially playable in the right kind of control shell in legacy.

Back to the old question of "what EDH deck do I build next?"

Currently I have:

* Alesha- Mardu aggro into Kiki-Jiki combo
    * Angry Omnath - Elemental tribal
    * Mizzix - Storm

I'm going to take apart Mizzix as it's kind of fun every once in a while but pretty boring to play against when I go off (reasonably reliably). Omnath is bordering on being pulled apart as it's kind of fun but not running any real mana dorks or rocks makes it's even more casual than I'm enjoying, it just seems to just fall over far too easily and fixing that would likely require a big rebuild and shift away from the tribal theme.

Options for new deck:

* Rashmi - Not sure where to go with it, probably the usual Rashmi triggers with a few big beaters to win (maybe Lab Man).
    * Yasova - Some sort of clone/steal deck
    * Gitrog Monster - Golgari good stuff with land effects, staying away from the really powerful combos that gitrog can do as it's just way too much work to explain/resolve.

Anyone tried any of these generals or played against them and have any comments of what is fun/interesting?

Gitrog is IMO one of the best generals around. Ramp and card draw in green black is just mad good.