hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 37 of 37 FirstFirst ... 2734353637

Thread: Mafiaheap Challange Round 10 Game Thread: Text Formatting Shortcuts

Good game. Reading the quicktopics / details posted in here, the village bloc (not just the two sheriffs, but all of you) did a good job.

Lana, if my game as arsonist taught me anything its that it aint over till the fat lady sings. And we all know you cant sing

Trox you laughed at Steph messaging you, but since you would turn up guilty to any investigation alarm bells would have gone off in my head, in your shoes. It would have smelled like a trap by a non-sheriff.
    Amantus for mod 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016

Quote Originally Posted by Toxic View Post
    Lana, if my game as arsonist taught me anything its that it aint over till the fat lady sings. And we all know you cant sing
    Did you just call me fat? Oh its on bitch.
    Quote Originally Posted by lubica
    And her name was Limul Azgoden, a lowly peasant girl.

Amantus for mod 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016

Quote Originally Posted by Qwert View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ctrlchris View Post
    Village got lucky with the 2 cops sussing each other so fast, if they didnt would have been a different game.

Also I would have became the arsonist if I knew I could light trox's victims as well as any that I doused but oh well.

e- also I can get behind the idea of no normal civs with this many power roles going on.
    I say all spares are cab drivers. Just so Trox has to spend all his free time working out how 5 interconnected swaps will be handled
    The method of resolving multiple cabbies, witches and courtesan actions on a shared list of targets is, unfortunately, proprietary knowledge I will take to my grave.

I would, however, consider licensing this method for a small one-time fee of $99 USD.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot View Post
    Canadians are usually cooler.
    Thermonuclear Banana Split - A not-really-weekly Eclipse Phase campaign journal

Your rules have been made open-source, sir. Therefore, your use of them with any of the changes made by FHC members is subject the the GNU GPL, and thus no charges are acceptable.

Quote Originally Posted by Steph View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Qwert View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ctrlchris View Post
    Village got lucky with the 2 cops sussing each other so fast, if they didnt would have been a different game.

Also I would have became the arsonist if I knew I could light trox's victims as well as any that I doused but oh well.

e- also I can get behind the idea of no normal civs with this many power roles going on.
    I say all spares are cab drivers. Just so Trox has to spend all his free time working out how 5 interconnected swaps will be handled
    The method of resolving multiple cabbies, witches and courtesan actions on a shared list of targets is, unfortunately, proprietary knowledge I will take to my grave.

I would, however, consider licensing this method for a small one-time fee of $99 USD.
    yes because first come first serve is complicated.
    need me?, contact me on IRC or via PM

Well, this was an interesting game, if mainly for all the drama and rage fits people started to throw. I thought that I was pretty involved in the game, but there's certainly some people who need to step back a good deal further and separate the mafia game from their e-friendships, e-lovers and e-enemies.

As for the game itself, if you add a shitload of roles for the villagers but don't increase the count or powers for the mafia and village, it gets unbalanced pretty fast. Even without the mayor who had a, huh, major impact on the overall game balance, 3 investigative roles alone would've tipped the odds decidedly into the village's favor. The only power boost for the mafia was adding the witch. Although it isn't layed out that clearly, the witch is a member of team mafia since it wins with them against the village, but stands isolated from them since they don't know their identity.

The worst case scenario for me as the witch was that the mafia would kill me in the night, costing us both a kill and a body to lynch. The best case scenario was for me to get investigated by them, after which I could join them and make good use of my abilities to switch targets of unsuspecting sheriffs or vigilantes. I had decided to lobby for killing cheese after the endgame of round 8&9 and after I drew the witch as a role just went ahead with it. I hoped that if I was active enough for the village that would increase my chances of getting investigated by the consigliere, and if I got found out by the sheriff I would at least cost the village an investigation and a lynch. I started to drop references to the witch in my postings also, hoping that a careful mafia reader might catch on to it. Since the mafia had a reason to actively look for the witch while it was a rather low priority for the villagers, compared to the more dangerous neutrals, I figured that was worth the risk. As it turned out, the mafia didn't even bother to look for the witch as a role and contemplated to kill me instead; not that they had much chance to clean me with cue1 dying so early. After that I was mainly trying to get some attention onto me, figuring I could put up at least some smoke after I was already appearing suspicious. I also figured that the mafia needed the SK and the arsonist to bring down the village, since otherwise the village would just have too many bodies, so me dying first wasn't the worst that could happen. I actually saw that I had a chance to tie my vote with Entrox, but didn't expect nobody else to vote that day. It would've been a good move to ninja in and tie the vote shortly before the resolution, but I thought of it too late, like 15 seconds before spasm ended the day.

All in all it was fun, but I don't think the roles were very balanced. Mafia could've done with 7 members, maybe 2 consiglieres and a witch with them from the beginning, and that would've spiced up the game due to the ability to mess with other power roles. I don't know the exact story behind spasm correcting steph's mistake, but unless it was due to his ambigiuous wording, I think he shouldn't have gotten involved. Not that the outcome of the game would've changed much.

Both the survivalist and the witch can end the game alive with the mafia. The SK and the arsonist kill many people and at least the SK wants the game to go on for as long as possible. I've generally played games of 15 people where we have 9-3-3. 9 village, 3 mafia, 3 nuetrals. So 7 mafia members would be a little overkill.

The mafia made a few mistakes (I know what they were) and the village played pretty well and had some luck. When its close like this game then luck can play a big part in it. It was a fun game but was all but done and dusted by the time I threw it in (I see no point in dragging a game out 3 or 4 days for no reason).

I would however like to address the 'its not fun to be a vanilla villager' comments. The game, no matter your role, is as much fun as you make it. Last game I was serial killer and the role is pretty much to pick people off and not get found out. Sure you get to do something, but if you played it like some of you play being a villager you would hit a person a night, make a few posts, do nothing , and at the end of the game complain how hard it was for you to win (its REALLY hard, trust me). Vanilla villager is not 'no role'. You have the most free role in the game as there is no one depending on you to not fuck up. What I try and do is post a lot, get peoples backs up, get them posting as much as they can to either defend themselves or shut me up, but the point is, I make the role what it is. Serial Killer was AWESOME for me because I played it HARD. Random posting, accusations (only some of which were baseless), a bit of sleuthing, some out of game chatting to try and get info (damn you FMAR). I got in to the role not because of what the role was but because I was determined to have fun. I was actually shocked in the end when I was set on fire and disappointed, because I believed I could have pulled it off (like a real serial killer I had no idea how tight the noose was getting).

As Don I did the opposite. I let my mafia brosif try and work out what to do and guided a little when needed. I didn't post as much, kept my head down and generally tried to play for the team. It wasn't nearly as much fun despite having almost the same role. It GOT fun near the end because of the desperate situation we ended up in.

Villager is fun BECAUSE you dont have a role. If you derp up and get lynched at LEAST try and take someone you think is mafia down with you.
    Quote Originally Posted by lubica
    And her name was Limul Azgoden, a lowly peasant girl.

Lana is exactly right.

'nilla villagers are the village's best resource, if they play right.
    They can make the risky plays to out mafia, because there is so little loss to the team if they die. They can serve as mouthpieces for the sheriff, they can play every metagamey shenanigan in the book.

Complaining about it is almost like playing something like Civ, refusing to get involved with diplomacy, and complaining when all the AI ignore you apart from intermittently declaring war on you...

Bump

Quote Originally Posted by Duckslayer View Post
    I should be home.now but I keep stopping to post. I'm in need of a mega poo. so much so that I'm tempted to leave slurry across one of these gardens and deal with the wiping later. gonna toss a coin

phoneposting