hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Mafia Round 8 Prep Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Thorjak View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bentguru View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lana Torrin View Post
    In for vanilla game, no oog conversation except for the wolves/mafia who get an hour @ EOD (IE "night") to vote on who to lynch.
    I still dont get how you are going to prevent out of game communication
    we can't really, it'll have to be honor system based. The games I play on the 2+2 forums are all like this.
    Everyone seems to keep forgetting that the game is inherently biased towards mafia. OOG communication for the village doesn't stop that.

And I'd also like to play.
    under current rules I'm surprised the mafia has won at all. Sheriff can just stay silent the entire game and feed his investigations via pm to confirmed villagers. Killing the sheriff basically comes down to luck.

In for vanilla game, no oog conversation except for the wolves/mafia who get an hour @ EOD (IE "night") to vote on who to lynch.
    we can't really, it'll have to be honor system based. The games I play on the 2+2 forums are all like this.
    Everyone seems to keep forgetting that the game is inherently biased towards mafia. OOG communication for the village doesn't stop that.

under current rules I'm surprised the mafia has won at all. Sheriff can just stay silent the entire game and feed his investigations via pm to confirmed villagers. Killing the sheriff basically comes down to luck.
    And the thing stopping the mafia making a false sheriff do the same is?

Did you see the witches game? My solution to this exact problem was simply to not tell the witches who the other witches were. This meant working out who to vote for became an actual vote same as the village (only in secret) and I threw in the 'if everyone votes for the same person you get another kill' to try and encourage the witches to actually work out who the other witches were (and possibly in the process expose themselves).

I enjoyed running the game and I hope everyone enjoyed playing it.
    Quote Originally Posted by lubica
    And her name was Limul Azgoden, a lowly peasant girl.

Did you see the witches game? My solution to this exact problem was simply to not tell the witches who the other witches were. This meant working out who to vote for became an actual vote same as the village (only in secret) and I threw in the 'if everyone votes for the same person you get another kill' to try and encourage the witches to actually work out who the other witches were (and possibly in the process expose themselves).

I enjoyed running the game and I hope everyone enjoyed playing it.
    Yes, I've watched all the games so far, and the witches one was pretty cool, but the debate seems to be because some potential villagers are a bit antsy about being able to see as much of the game as they want to. Face it, mafia isn't about having all your cards on the table, face up. If it happens to be to the villages benefit that you are out of the loop, tough luck. Assuming of course, that someone in the village is smart enough to know what to tell to who. [Stares hard at FMAR]
    Last edited by Thorjak; May 4 2013 at 06:36:06 AM.

it generally doesn't work and gets the mafia killed?

You know, I was about to give a decent reply to this, then I realised the best thing is to let it play out [literally]

You know, I was about to give a decent reply to this, then I realised the best thing is to let it play out [literally]
    several problems:
    1) role reveal on death. If the sheriff is told roles, mafia sheriff is impossible. If alignment is revealed on death, have fun making people believe you after the first villager lynch.
    2) SOP is to not believe the sheriff until he gets a mafia kill. With only 4-5 mafia per game, committing half your people to a sheriff gambit is kind of dumb.
    3) It could work under something like the ruleset for game7 with the don appearing innocent, and the sheriff only being given alignment and not role.

If you look at previous mafia games, the reason the mafia won in all of them was because of massive village failcascade. In one of the games someone outed the sheriff because of grudge investigating, in the last game fmar didn't establish a clear voting block, and then I compounded it with a risky play to go for a quick and easy win. In the first mafia game a bunch of villagers falsely claimed roles because , in the game when I got to be mafia we won by sitting back and letting the larkin/steph combo go on a lynching spree while no one could touch them because of ~confirmed villager~ status.

Quote Originally Posted by dpidcoe View Post
    several problems:
    1) role reveal on death. If the sheriff is told roles, mafia sheriff is impossible. If alignment is revealed on death, have fun making people believe you after the first villager lynch.
    2) SOP is to not believe the sheriff until he gets a mafia kill. With only 4-5 mafia per game, committing half your people to a sheriff gambit is kind of dumb.
    3) It could work under something like the ruleset for game7 with the don appearing innocent, and the sheriff only being given alignment and not role.

If you look at previous mafia games, the reason the mafia won in all of them was because of massive village failcascade. In one of the games someone outed the sheriff because of grudge investigating, in the last game fmar didn't establish a clear voting block, and then I compounded it with a risky play to go for a quick and easy win. In the first mafia game a bunch of villagers falsely claimed roles because , in the game when I got to be mafia we won by sitting back and letting the larkin/steph combo go on a lynching spree while no one could touch them because of ~confirmed villager~ status.
    Np I was pushing my luck a bit there. But lets see what happens with vanilla games and see whether the FHC crowd is capable of consistently playing in a reasonable fashion before we go making it more complicated.

Np I was pushing my luck a bit there. But lets see what happens with vanilla games and see whether the FHC crowd is capable of consistently playing in a reasonable fashion before we go making it more complicated.
    Yeah, I'm very much in favor of running several vanillia games in a row with the same ruleset and letting everything settle as the metagame evolves and people figure out how to play.

Are you assuming we get collectively smarter game by game? Because evidence points to the contrary. This is failheap after all
    Amantus for mod 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016

Quote Originally Posted by Toxic View Post
    Are you assuming we get collectively smarter game by game? Because evidence points to the contrary. This is failheap after all
    It's our only hope. But seriously, the current game is the best I've seen yet, so maybe

big diiiiiiiiick Movember 2012Donor Dark Flare's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LarkinAlpha View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cue1* View Post
    In for another round as well. I too like the idea of multiple roles, but it seems everyone is object to it.
    We haven't done a simple one yet. Witches was closest, but even then there was a special rule for the Witches vote.

Quote Originally Posted by Cool09 View Post
    Also sign me up.

By vanilla we mean just one of each type of special villager?
    Vanilla is 1 or 2 Sheriff, and just regular Mafia, usually 1/5th-1/4th. If I ran it with 20 people, it would be 1 Sheriff, 4 Mafia, or 2 Sheriff, 5 Mafia.
    What? Spasm's one was vanilla + don. Also vanilla should always have a doc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Amantus
    whats tyhe appear of a shnitifuck cu nt eve onlio9ne corpotraTION DICKOLHEAD FUCKIN AS

big diiiiiiiiick Movember 2012Donor Dark Flare's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dpidcoe View Post

several problems:

The idea of a mafia sheriff isn't to get the entire town lynched, it's to get either the real Sheriff lynched, or to get the Doc lynched so you can kill the Sheriff at night. The maf sheriff is almost always a sacrifice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Amantus
    whats tyhe appear of a shnitifuck cu nt eve onlio9ne corpotraTION DICKOLHEAD FUCKIN AS

no oog conversation except for the wolves/mafia who get an hour @ EOD (IE "night") to vote on who to lynch.
    AKA, fuck you if you're in a different time zone.

Signing up.

I think the honour system is fine for no oog communication, and people won't know if the other person will shop them or not. Problem is banning them from the game after we find out ruins the game for everyone.

If we tried one without oog communication I'd sign up.

It's our only hope. But seriously, the current game is the best I've seen yet, so maybe
    really? I've found it ridiculously boring. Zero discussion at all, everybody is just playing follow the leader behind zeek while mafia randomly off people

really? I've found it ridiculously boring. Zero discussion at all, everybody is just playing follow the leader behind zeek while mafia randomly off people
    Pretty much. Mafia is a game of politics and scheming just as much as it is about logic and observation. You might as well play Diplomacy without any discussion.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot View Post
    Canadians are usually cooler.
    Thermonuclear Banana Split - A not-really-weekly Eclipse Phase campaign journal

Thats why i wont be playing the next game :P

If we have something stopping the sheriff doing whats going on this game, then its worth playing. Ditto the mafia just slowly being bored to death and then lynched with no ability to do anything other than dumb tricks to try to get you lot to kill dpid.