Page 3 of 67 FirstFirst 1234561353 ... LastLast

Thread: [HELICOPTERS]

NcDot

NcDot

Putin 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Sparq View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Snottus View Post
    Madness

The rail route I take to and from the city crosses quite a lot of farm land, in the past I have seen a helicopter out there in one of the bigger fields practising very much what is seen in this video - it's damn impressive (and scary) stuff.
    During the cold war, the Germans would assign a specific area of the border to each anti-tank helicopter pilot and have them train in that area until they knew everything about the local terrain.

"Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered, those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid. Thus the wise win before they fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Zhuge Liang

Donor
    Quote Originally Posted by Dorvil Barranis View Post
    An error occured... not sure if it is the tube of you's or da link

fone poastin

Super Moderator Global Moderator QuackBot's Avatar

Nsfw http://4.bp.blogspot.c.

Because stealth and choppers mix so well.

Quote Originally Posted by Varcaus View Post
    Commanche (supposedly) did it quite well. I think it's more that retarded concept artists and helicopters don't mix very well.

Pity we never got to see this in service.

-O
    I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those Thukkers, that way I wouldn't have to have any goddamn stupid useless conversations with anybody.
    Failing the Voight-Kampff test, one tortoise at a time.

Wouldnt it still be fairly loud?

Osama bin Laden gives this comment 2 thumbs up. I mean avoiding radar and IR detection plus sound redirection is so overrated.

Yes and no. It would sound much differently than a regular chopper. You could still hear it but the sound would make it seem much further away. If it's trying to approach your position then you might think it's actually passing further away. If it's trying to circumvent your position then the muffled sound might not even be detected if it's far enough away. He/she can call it in if they don't have their own air assets but giving direction of travel and so on would be hard without a visual reckoning. But really, avoiding being noticed on scopes is the main focus. Helicopters fear a squadron of jets bearing down on them more than anything. The best way to avoid that is to not get detected. Flying low can avoid detection but only when using natural terrain and only against older radar systems. Even then it's very very risky. Modern doppler radar can filter out movement and even detect someone flipping a coin in the air. Fighter launched self contained active guidance missiles and many SAM missiles cannot and don't have a human to filter out the clutter from the target which means they will have a much harder time hitting low flying targets. The same applies to IR guided missiles. Adding radar absorbent and heat resistant materials increases chances of not being detected and survivability from being shot at.
    Last edited by Keorythe; April 28 2013 at 07:50:48 PM.

Donor
    Quote Originally Posted by Ophichius View Post
    Commanche (supposedly) did it quite well. I think it's more that retarded concept artists and helicopters don't mix very well.

-O
    It did succesfully cut radar signature, it's a shame it suffered from to many fingers in the pie development scenario. So many differen't people that didn't talk to eachother that it is unknown whether the helicopters engine would be strong enough to lift the aircraft because in spite of ~20 years of development there was no final design. A true calamity of idiocy.

http://nation.time.com/2012/05/25/re...al-helicopter/

fone poastin

http://www.smartplanet.com/blog/smar...licopters/4663
    watch the video at the end

RN newish Lynx Wildcats have "Stealthy Features"

Army are suppose to get them as well, but I'm not sure they will get to mount as much pew pew stuff on the sides

Fairly sure there is a Lewis Page article whinging about the costs somewhere (If you are into that sort of thing)

Quote Originally Posted by Spoony View Post
    Fairly sure there is a Lewis Page article whinging about the costs somewhere
    If it's an MOD procurement project, there's a Lewis Page article whinging about costs somewhere. That's just a fact. See also: If there's a minor scientific article on climate change saying the world isn't getting as warm as we thought it was, published even in the most obscure of journals, there is a Lewis Page article somewhere trumpeting the failure of the Anthropogenic Global Warming "science" lobby.

Its on-board computing capability enables Comanche to acquire, process, analyze and disseminate an amount of information unsurpassed by today's helicopters. Comanche's low radar signature, high technology composites, special acoustics design, and a buried exhaust system, make it less observable than today's premier attack and armed reconnaissance helicopters.

Add to this new generation of passive long-range, high-resolution battlefield sensors, digital interconnectivity, to share data with other members of the combined arms team, produces a completely integrated targeting, and communications weapon system, facilitating the delivery of quick, coordinated responses to tactical situations with minimal work for the pilot.

Donor
    Its on-board computing capability enables Comanche to acquire, process, analyze and disseminate an amount of information unsurpassed by today's helicopters. Comanche's low radar signature, high technology composites, special acoustics design, and a buried exhaust system, make it less observable than today's premier attack and armed reconnaissance helicopters.

Add to this new generation of passive long-range, high-resolution battlefield sensors, digital interconnectivity, to share data with other members of the combined arms team, produces a completely integrated targeting, and communications weapon system, facilitating the delivery of quick, coordinated responses to tactical situations with minimal work for the pilot.

It's a shame only two test models were built and all that computing capability never existed in a helicopter.

fone poastin

Quote Originally Posted by Tellenta View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dorvil Barranis View Post
    An error occured... not sure if it is the tube of you's or da link

fone poastin
    Not sure, looks OK on my end, here is direct link, but it is just a shopping mall escalator helicopter stunt gone wrong:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=XvENUcE5g40
    "Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered, those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid. Thus the wise win before they fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Zhuge Liang

Movember 2011Movember 2012 Nordstern's Avatar

Last edited by Nordstern; April 28 2013 at 09:23:32 PM.
    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm
    Quote Originally Posted by Larkonis Trassler View Post
    WTF I hate white people now...