hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 23 of 27 FirstFirst ... 1320212223242526 ... LastLast

Thread: Starbound - Beta Starts Dec 4th!

I switched over to the "Unstable" branch last night, and it's a whole different game at the start, so many more and different things to do, UI changes (the matter manipulator has it's own slot now - accessible with the "r" key), no food requirements, new dungeons (some rather big as I found last night), new starter quests (although that might be because I chose NovaKid for the first time).

Going to enjoy playing for a bit and see how it pans out.

Quote Originally Posted by Vicomt View Post
    I switched over to the "Unstable" branch last night, and it's a whole different game at the start, so many more and different things to do, UI changes (the matter manipulator has it's own slot now - accessible with the "r" key), no food requirements, new dungeons (some rather big as I found last night), new starter quests (although that might be because I chose NovaKid for the first time).

Going to enjoy playing for a bit and see how it pans out.
    Badly.

Picks now break after a few minutes use and you will struggle to sustain their replacement. I hope you like using the matter manipulator to dig through bedrock...

Thought they were ditching picks in favour of MM upgrades? Might just be a way of clearing them from inventory to make way for the new method without resetting saves?

Hope it comes to stable soon.

well, as Nicholai said, picks are bloody useless and you will not get enough ore to replace them. The MM is much better than it used to be however, and I can see it being much more useful with upgrades. I'm having fun taking it slowly and exploring more, the new dungeons etc really are much better than they were.

Quote Originally Posted by Vicomt View Post
    well, as Nicholai said, picks are bloody useless and you will not get enough ore to replace them. The MM is much better than it used to be however, and I can see it being much more useful with upgrades. I'm having fun taking it slowly and exploring more, the new dungeons etc really are much better than they were.
    Still waiting on a stable build so I don't need to mess with the client.
    Audacter calumniare, semper aliquid haeret

"The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt"
    Bertrand Russell - the Triumph of Stupidity (1933)

"The best lack all conviction, while the worst
    Are full of passionate intensity." -Yeats, 1919

Quote Originally Posted by thebomby View Post
    I find it incredible that a whole country can actually be more retarded than FHC.

this whole "characters are 4 blocks tall tools dig 3x3 sections" thing is really fucking irritating.

Finally the update is here. Currently downloading.

If everything works I'll setup a new FHC-server later on. Are 8 slots enough?

Will update later. Woohooo!!!

Cool, downloading.

Server's up.

Access data:

Server address: 37.10.101.185:21025
    Server account: [leave empty]
    Server pw: [leave empty]

Server password will change after next server reset. Password will be then: failheap

As I said on irc moments ago: omgomgomg

Edit: POTATOES!!!! Potatoes everywhere. Pickaxes break like they're made from plywood.

Guests tonight were Corw and Devec. It seems that we're all starting from the same planet. I see great things in the future!
    Last edited by GiDiYi; January 29 2015 at 10:14:58 PM.

Super Maderator DonorGlobal Moderator Hels's Avatar
    Updated server info.

Note to self: 1 gb RAM isn't enough for a Starbound Server, even if there are only 3 players in it. Upgraded tonight. Hope it works properly now.

There's a Space Station and all kinds oft shit in it now. Will keep me busy for the weekend.

Edit: We've started to put down a little base on planet II in the starting system. Coffee and sugar is provided as of now. We don't know how to brew coffee though.
    Last edited by GiDiYi; January 31 2015 at 12:04:24 AM.

Xenosis's sister
    Does the server continue to grow in RAM usage due to memory leaks? I remember (a year ag) getting the starting usage down to like ~170, but it would never stop growing and eventually implode.

I upgraded the server once more, since we kept getting kicked every 20 minutes tonight.

The machine that's running it now is easily capable of running a 64 player Battlefield 4 server without flinching. If the game keeps acting up now it's certainly not hardware related.

Ingame I dieded three times to the new first boss... this day wasn't exactly going as planned Starbound wise.

I should probably reinstall.

Quackers needs a new temple.

another update came out btw.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkening View Post
    another update came out btw.
    It's installed.

Edit:

Got the boss on the first try tonight. I swear to god I was getting ghost damage yesterday. Today wasn't a big deal.

All players start in the same system. While it is fun this might become a problem, because the planets start to get depleted.
    Last edited by GiDiYi; February 1 2015 at 09:57:41 PM.

Server news:

Today's patch seems to have worked wonders regarding server stability. After patch deployment the server has run smoothly for the two hours I was playing tonight and it didn't even kick me once. So let's hope that this problem got solved.

Adventures of a noob:

Tonight I headed out of system for the first time. Stumbled about on an ice planet when - 'lo and behold - I heard the crackling noise of tesla spools somewhere down below. The next second saw me digging frantically beelining straight downwards. Soon enough I found the structure made of steel when about 4 or 5 blocks out, my digging attempts were utterly unsuccessful. The structure was invincible. So I dug my way around it and after a whole while of digging I found the entrance.

I found a laboratory of the apes. I couldn't take anything with me, because everything was protected by that blue'ish glowing something. I wandered through the laboratory and found some rather tricky obstacle courses with the above mentioned tesla spikes and poison pools. Since I couldn't manipulate them in any way it made maneuvering a little tricky (and bandage heavy). The labyrinth expanded from the center to the left and right. At the end of each course was a chest (with firearms) and a switch. Each switch opened doors to a central chamber with a generator in it. After switching off the generator the forcefield was gone...

Sadly I have to report that the ape laboratory went out of business.

In unrelated news I've come into the possession of quite a bit of nice high tech furniture and all sorts of equipment. There'll probably be a sale near you just days ahead. So watch the announcements!

Upon setting foot on another planet I came to the realization that I'll need some sort of hazard suit to shield myself from radiation. While setting foot on another planet I came to the realization that I'll need some sort of winter clothing as well.

Oh and I have a gun now. I call it BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRTH!

Have fun guys.

It's crashing when i go to the bigger planet in the starter system

Quote Originally Posted by Darkening View Post
    It's crashing when i go to the bigger planet in the starter system
    Yes. Planet IV in the starting system is a guaranteed crash for me as well. No bloody clue why. But except for that one, performance got a lot better.

Tonight I found another Apex Lab. I decided to leave them a message, because it's starting to get the resemblance of a theme.

Spoiler: