hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: dota2 overtakes lol as most played game 2013

call me the asstrynamer cos im always tryna get that ass

dota2 overtakes lol as most played game 2013

This story is sketchy as fuck. No information on what methodology is used, the actual report is $6,000 to purchase so no way of really checking figures. They mention XFire and genuinely when was the last time anyone you know used XFire? Apparently the report is based on hours played rather than concurrent/peak users, and I've no idea if sitting in the LoL client counts as 'in game' whereas I know sitting in the Dota client counts as 'in game'.

That said it wouldn't surprise me - Dota2 is growing like mad, even the most casual of gamers I know have tried it or have an account.
    'I'm pro life. I'm a non-smoker. I'm a pro-life non-smoker. WOO, Let the party begin!'

Riot also pointed out that EU west alone carrys more concurrent players than dota2 worldwide, then the "researchers" have back tracked somewhat. The article has been updated accordingly.
    Dont dam me when i speak a piece of mind; cause silence isnt golden when i am holding it inside.
    Quote Originally Posted by W0lf Crendraven View Post
    I always read your name as tinder-mom

I reallllllly doubt that.
    I'm sure it's frustrating to be sperging about how someone said "no, not doing that yet" - but we've had 7 years to learn to pace ourselves after killing a block. And I dare say -- we've gotten quite good at it.

Sorry if it doesn't suit the armchair generals who have never committed to anything for more than 2 months, but by now we've learned that we really don't give a shit about what you think v0v.

Update: Riot have questioned DFC’s findings, telling Games Industry that League of Legends sees “over 500,000 peak concurrent players every day on just the EU West shard.” Note that Dota 2′s highest ever concurrent player count, according to SteamGraph, is 325,897 users worldwide.

We contacted DFC’s David Cole for more info. He pointed out that their findings were based on hours played rather than concurrent users, stating that “LOL does have a lot more users and we may have underestimated LOL. Thing is we have never seen anything like it so have been pretty conservative. But Dota 2 is still big.” The press release announcing DFC’s report has since been removed.

Smuggo
    LoL is lol

wonder how much Valve paid for the PR?
    Dont dam me when i speak a piece of mind; cause silence isnt golden when i am holding it inside.

Dunno, I don't really get the feeling valve really cares about LoL and are banking on their own name as usual. Ofcourse, something like this is good publicity for both.

Valve shouldn't care about LoL and Riot shouldn't care about DOTA2. The games are almost completely different, all they share is the basic map layout (and that only in terms that they both have 3 lanes) and the concept of last hitting. They're very different games and there's not going to be that much overlap. Arguing about which one is more popular is basically just a pissing contest.

Sabotaged by Aurocorrect
    'I'm pro life. I'm a non-smoker. I'm a pro-life non-smoker. WOO, Let the party begin!'

the big question is how far is hon ahead of both games?

Quote Originally Posted by evil edna View Post
    the big question is how far is hon ahead of both games?
    hehe ive not played HoN in the longest time, not really wanted to either; i think 1 "moba" is more than enough for my tiny brain to handle

Oh yeah edna I forgot about HoN, mad amounts of players playing HoN. A whole 1.2k viewers on Twitch too, shit's too hyphy

Some games that have more viewers than HoN on Twitch right now:

Smite
    Injustice: Gods Among Us (Some kind of terrible Marvel/Capcom brawler)
    The Binding of Isaac
    Runescape (FUCKING RUNESCAPE ARE YOU SHITTING ME)
    And apparently 6,000 incredibly sad fuckers are watching people play World of Tanks.

i saw this thread title and instantly thought "this was definitely made by thorton"

Oh look i was right, shame the article wasn't

also hai guise

Turns out the company that published it is withdrawing it after Riot pointed out that they get 500k concurrent players on EUW alone.

HUGE SUCCESS

500k angry 15 year old nerds

You can keep em

iPad ect

As opposed to 300k sperging russians

I see your point

Quote Originally Posted by evil edna View Post
    500k angry 15 year old nerds
    In exchange for keeping you? Deal.

if only there was a way to play high level dota without russians.

Quote Originally Posted by FooB View Post
    How bad is the ping to USE? Even we get occasional russians but not often.
    Quote Originally Posted by Devec
    Cool09 is the cancer that is corrupting our society and poisoning our children.

WoT: Redglare[VPG]

Quote Originally Posted by Cool09 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by FooB View Post
    How bad is the ping to USE? Even we get occasional russians but not often.
    You even get them on the Australian server so i don't think ping is their primary concern.