hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 55 of 68 FirstFirst ... 5455253545556575865 ... LastLast
Results 1,081 to 1,100 of 1358

Thread: Scottish Dependence thread - bye bye Mr Salmond, bye bye

Super Baderator DonorGlobal Moderator cullnean's Avatar
    The tower of power, too sweet to be sour, ohhhh yeahh!
    I don't care, it ain't happen
    Quote Originally Posted by Elriche Oshego View Post
    Cullneshi the god of shitposting.
    Quote Originally Posted by RazoR View Post
    anything soviet is of evil

Quote Originally Posted by Bombcrater View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Alistair View Post
    My guess, final vote goes No 56%, Yes 44%.
    I predicted No 53-56% earlier, but I'll firm that up to the same figures as you. I think the 'shy noes' effect is real and will be a factor, and the polls came too late for their fieldwork to reflect any uptick in No support from the increasing media reports of disorderly Yes supporters and, crucially, Gordon Brown's speech today, which was the single best thing the No campaign has done.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J39bBV7CBJk
    I'm liking Gordon Brown wtf.

I predict people will vote and about half will be disappointed by the result.
    Quote Originally Posted by lubica
    And her name was Limul Azgoden, a lowly peasant girl.

Super Ponerator Global Moderator Evelgrivion's Avatar
    I hope the vote comes up "no." There's way too much nationalism, partisanship and bickering in the world right now as things are.

Quote Originally Posted by Evelgrivion View Post
    I hope the vote comes up "no." There's way too much nationalism, partisanship and bickering in the world right now as things are.
    Amen to that Brother

115%/10% yes

edit: oh and 99% turnout
    Last edited by Approaching Walrus; September 18 2014 at 01:39:28 AM.

Administrator Movember 2012 Don Pellegrino's Avatar
    I predict a No and more empty promises from Westminster, followed by more bitterness, another referendum in 15 years and finally apathy and no one giving a shit anymore.

I am the 99.99998% Tyrus Tenebros's Avatar
    I'm probably late on this and it's already been discussed but...

Why decide to break up a country on a bare majority vote anyways?? This strikes me as the sort of thing that should require 2/3rds majority or something...
    I tried to be cool and all I got was a lousy warning about my sig being too big.

Administrator Movember 2012 Don Pellegrino's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrus Tenebros View Post

Why decide to break up a country on a bare majority vote anyways?? This strikes me as the sort of thing that should require 2/3rds majority or something...
    No, it's not a case of having a starting point and deciding wheter we pick A or B. That can require a 2/3rds majority, it's fine, because we can fall back on the status quo. This is a case where the starting point is A and the alternative is B. The only way to not be biased here is to give the same weight to both options. That principle has been upheld by courts before. The only way to be fair is 50/50, anything else isn't. I get that one option has more *change*, but both options have the same number of consequences, each consequence is the opposite of what the other option would have been in each specific case, if that makes sense.
    Last edited by Don Pellegrino; September 18 2014 at 02:16:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Pellegrino View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrus Tenebros View Post

No, it's not a case of having a starting point and deciding wheter we pick A or B. That can require a 2/3rds majority, it's fine, because we can fall back on the status quo. This is a case where the starting point is A and the alternative is B. The only way to not be biased here is to give the same weight to both options. That principle has been upheld by courts before. The only way to be fair is 50/50, anything else isn't. I get that one option has more *change*, but both options have the same number of consequences, each consequence is the opposite of what the other option would have been in each specific case, if that makes sense.
    For the last 307 years the countries and Scotland and England have been joined at the hip. I can see an argument for why you would need 2/3rds majority to break it. However, wikipedia says the terms for this vote were agreed on 2 years ago by both parliaments, so meh do what you want.
    Quote Originally Posted by lubica
    And her name was Limul Azgoden, a lowly peasant girl.

I predict it will be 50/50 and a tie breaker vote will have to be cast and it'll probably be a coin toss and we really can't predict that result.
    Ape shall not kill Ape.

Like the fat headed ponies of the Mongolian steppe and those who tame them my posts live wild and free on this website.

Quote Originally Posted by Smuggo View Post
    BBC is pretty bad and American TV is also terrible so I can't even imagine how shit BBC America must be.
    Treason! I am phoning the terrorism hotline right now so that they come around and revoke your TV license!

Quote Originally Posted by Alistair View Post
    Lead Story on CNN US Edition:

U.S. nervous about Scotland vote

I see we finally noticed or closest and best long-term ally (other than Poland) could be broken up and shortly be a Defense non-entity in 18 months, lol.
    Ironic that a country that fought so hard for its independence from the UK would be opposed to Scotland getting it peacefully.

Voted No, hopefully the majority of my countrymen do the same.

I predict 52% yes / 48% no
    "I think we could all do with sitting back a bit and detaching ourselves from the situation to really think about how these issues reflect on our future and how we discuss them here and be a bit less aggressive or defensive because everyone has a complicated set of circumstances that has led the to place importance on particular issues and it doesn't meany any of them is less valid, we just need to look at the broader picture"

Smuggo - Brexit Thread

Smuggo
    Well my aunt and uncle (who are on holiday and postal voted) just revealed they voted yes on FB. They were no voters initially, but my aunt works for the NHS and both have been quite pissed off about what the Tories are doing to it so didn't surprise me too much. I wonder what my granny will think, she is a firm no voter and when I saw her last month she seemed angry that they were even holding a referendum.

When do we find out the result of the vote?
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Mason
    It is absurd that we are capable of witnessing a 40,000 year old system of gender oppression begin to dissolve before our eyes yet still see the abolition of a 200 year old economic system as an unrealistic utopia.

Super Moderator Global Moderator QuackBot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Crystalline Entity View Post
    I predict 52% yes / 48% no
    No i'm pretty sure there isn't any more humanity to be had. Do you get 48?

Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    Friday Morning.

Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    They'll have the result by 7am tomorrow, allegedly.