hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them

Thread: Music and Sound (The Temple of Boom)

Music and Sound (The Temple of Boom)

Discussions related to anything that makes your ears ring go into this thread.

First of all some general listening pleasure:
    Public Dropbox link

As of now, the included musicpieces are composed by me and old but unreleased. They were specifically selected because they fit the atmosphere we are trying to aim for in-game. More will be produced as the project progresses and made available in the Dropbox folder if possible.

Please note that I did not encode these previews yet. Files will be WAV type, so a larger filesize is expected.
    Last edited by Blutreiter; March 19 2013 at 05:52:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by James Lyrus
    they send you a pedometer, and set you daily activity targets
    Quote Originally Posted by Malcanis View Post
    There's no fucking way I'm googling '12" Hero'

Now let us talk sound effects.

The implementation I aim for is linking an event not directly to a sound, but rather a soundlist containing various sounds.

Pseudocode example:

list testgunfire
    (testgunshot1.wav,
    testgunshot2.wav,
    testgunshot3.wav,
    testgunshot4.wav)

IF
    fire gun
    play random sound from testgunfire
    ENDIF
    This will allow me to give great depth in the soundscape of the game, with events ranging from footsteps to console activations to some dripping water from a leaking container. In order to prevent repetitiveness, the randomization should not include the last sound played, as that is too noticeable.

Further down the road, we will also create voice packs with random comments and chatter for the player which can be as varied as complaining about your current health status, screaming bloody murder while going through a full belt of ammo on a chaingun or getting scared if you are in the vicinity of multiple enemies with a really weak weapon.

The sound event system will allow scaling while being easy to adapt.
    Last edited by Blutreiter; March 19 2013 at 05:24:50 PM.

So yeah, coders need to keep this in mind. Nice idea that we really should follow. This will give great experience to the game.

Goals for this week:

Create footsteps and movement sounds for an armored enviro-suit. Looking at about 20-40kg, no assisted movement or servos. Breathing apparatus integrated.

New music testpiece up. Grab it in the dropbox and leave comments.

Project 1&2 previews were what I had in mind when I first heard about the project. Mind me asking what you used?

Project 1: I think would do a lot better with a different kick. It sounds like a default kick but it does work well with the atmosphere.

Project 2: Again amazing atmosphere. I think the track would do better without the industrial samples. Samples that sound more natural pumped up with reverb would fit better IMO.
    I'm sure it's frustrating to be sperging about how someone said "no, not doing that yet" - but we've had 7 years to learn to pace ourselves after killing a block. And I dare say -- we've gotten quite good at it.

Sorry if it doesn't suit the armchair generals who have never committed to anything for more than 2 months, but by now we've learned that we really don't give a shit about what you think v0v.

New previewpiece with voice samples in the dropbox folder. Project3. Feedback greatly appreciated.

<Blutreiter> drop me a line in the sound thread so i dont forget to PM you when we start recording stuff

"I think we could all do with sitting back a bit and detaching ourselves from the situation to really think about how these issues reflect on our future and how we discuss them here and be a bit less aggressive or defensive because everyone has a complicated set of circumstances that has led the to place importance on particular issues and it doesn't meany any of them is less valid, we just need to look at the broader picture"

Smuggo - Brexit Thread