hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Coding and Such

There is always OpenTK and MonoGame that are cross platform.
    http://www.opentk.com/
    http://www.monogame.net/

Last edited by Blutreiter; March 21 2013 at 11:58:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by James Lyrus
    they send you a pedometer, and set you daily activity targets
    Quote Originally Posted by Malcanis View Post
    There's no fucking way I'm googling '12" Hero'

Movember '11 Best Facial Hair, Best 'Tache Movember 2011Movember 2012Donor helgur's Avatar
    Nice find!

I linked that a page earlier :P

Has there been a decision on which way we go with engines and the like?

Quote Originally Posted by Renox View Post
    Has there been a decision on which way we go with engines and the like?
    For the moment Allegro and Helgur is on it. He has experiance with it and building up a prototype. He is currently working on some basic graphics that we provided and a map. Next step will be getting dynamic lighting in 2d. From there we will see and if we need to adjust the goals. Also ariansnow is helping Helgur a bit. They are also the only two coders.

What about Starling or Sparrow? I hear someone made a popular game using them. Something about birds.
    Contract stuff to Seraphina Amaranth.

"You give me the awful impression - I hate to have to say - of someone who hasn't read any of the arguments against your position. Ever."

We are sticking with Allegro for now.

big diiiiiiiiick Movember 2012Donor Dark Flare's Avatar
    So I completely forgot about this. Putting it as a subforum in a subforum evidently removed it from my field of vision.

Sup
    Quote Originally Posted by Amantus
    whats tyhe appear of a shnitifuck cu nt eve onlio9ne corpotraTION DICKOLHEAD FUCKIN AS

*poke* First time I've seen this at all. I have openGL coding experience, and might be able to devote some coding time (I've gotten bored of GeoJSON now).

Movember '11 Best Facial Hair, Best 'Tache Movember 2011Movember 2012Donor helgur's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rami View Post
    *poke* First time I've seen this at all. I have openGL coding experience, and might be able to devote some coding time (I've gotten bored of GeoJSON now).
    http://failheap-challenge.com/showth...Allegro-thread

In that thread you will find the link to the code repository and history of what has been implemented yet, take a look at the code. If you have any suggestions for the allegro code please feel free to post them there

Also you having openGL coding experience will come very handy. Each tile of the map is set at 200x200 pixels, generating a 30x30 map I can allready notice the strain on my rig and a slight but noticable framerate drop when running the game. I am going to have to look into Allegros opengl routines in order to implement hardware acceleration, because currently it won't be very playable with bigger maps.

Quote Originally Posted by helgur View Post

In that thread you will find the link to the code repository and history of what has been implemented yet, take a look at the code. If you have any suggestions for the allegro code please feel free to post them there

Also you having openGL coding experience will come very handy. Each tile of the map is set at 200x200 pixels, generating a 30x30 map I can allready notice the strain on my rig and a slight but noticable framerate drop when running the game. I am going to have to look into Allegros opengl routines in order to implement hardware acceleration, because currently it won't be very playable with bigger maps.
    Are all tiles rendered nonstop or can you only render those that are on-screen?

Quote Originally Posted by James Lyrus
    they send you a pedometer, and set you daily activity targets
    Quote Originally Posted by Malcanis View Post
    There's no fucking way I'm googling '12" Hero'

Quote Originally Posted by Blutreiter View Post

Are all tiles rendered nonstop or can you only render those that are on-screen?
    All tiles are rendered nonstop

edit: well rendered is maybe the wrong term, the positions of every tile is recalculated and updated at every cycle, which in theory means 60 times a second (I've capped the engine at 60 FPS), but every cycle is also queued by the event system in order for things to run more smoothly.

I'll work on zooming using the mouse wheel and +/- keyboard keys next
    Last edited by helgur; March 25 2013 at 05:14:43 PM.

Any reason for non-power of 2 tile sizes?

Quote Originally Posted by Qwert View Post

Any reason for non-power of 2 tile sizes?
    Not particulary no, that is the dimensions of the png jalif sent me, it can be changed later to accommodate other tiles in different sizes. Allthough the walls/doors etc will be coded as thin primitives centered in the tiles themselves

how is stuff going?

Quote Originally Posted by Jalif View Post
    how is stuff going?
    Testing out some basic openGL hardware acceleration. Managed to get the game running p. smooth, even with big maps

Has anyone else who said they where interested in coding this downloaded the source and/or looked into allegro API?

Edit: we need to talk about starting to push out some sprites for the level(s), next time we talk on irc or skype I'll run you guys down with how you can edit the texture datafile (so you can push new graphics into the engine without needing to code).
    Last edited by helgur; March 28 2013 at 02:23:22 AM.

Sweet!

EDIT:
    Did you also make a progress with light system? Anyway, I'm all day at home working and will be availible at IRC. Just poke me and we can have a "meeting" on how stuff stands atm. Sadly didn't have the time myself this week to write some documents on how the game will perform.
    Last edited by Jalif; March 28 2013 at 11:08:50 AM.

Super Moderator DonorGlobal Moderator
    I can probably put in some coding time. Not much experience with game development, but at least I know how to code.

I'll look at allegro and development environment tomorrow when I get home.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by Hast View Post
    I can probably put in some coding time. Not much experience with game development, but at least I know how to code.

I'll look at allegro and development environment tomorrow when I get home.
    Nice! Myself I am using bog standard Visual Studio Express 10 on windows and xcode on mac