hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Coding and Such

Coding and Such

Discuss here everything regarding codes and engines (unity & allegro). Lets discuss how we are going to tackle the back end and how light effects are going to be implemented which are a big deal for our game.

GITHUB:
    https://github.com/failheap/Scrapheap-Starships
    Last edited by Jalif; March 20 2013 at 11:10:09 AM.

big diiiiiiiiick Movember 2012Donor Dark Flare's Avatar
    while(fuck):
    print "fuck";
    Quote Originally Posted by Amantus
    whats tyhe appear of a shnitifuck cu nt eve onlio9ne corpotraTION DICKOLHEAD FUCKIN AS

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Flare View Post
    while(fuck):
    print "fuck";
    That wasn't exactly what he meant with tackling back ends.

Quote Originally Posted by James Lyrus
    they send you a pedometer, and set you daily activity targets
    Quote Originally Posted by Malcanis View Post
    There's no fucking way I'm googling '12" Hero'

Since Unity does not properly support dynamical lights and shadows unless you pay for a professional license (which is expensive), we are currently looking into other engines. We might still use Allegro which Helgur has experience with, but that would not be 3d. That said, 3d is not a requirement. Dynamic lighting is of the highest importance for the gameplay though.

Quote Originally Posted by Blutreiter View Post
    Since Unity does not properly support dynamical lights and shadows unless you pay for a professional license (which is expensive), we are currently looking into other engines. We might still use Allegro which Helgur has experience with, but that would not be 3d. That said, 3d is not a requirement. Dynamic lighting is of the highest importance for the gameplay though.
    That is indeed our bottleneck now. We need to find something that can handle dynamic lights well. If it is a 3d engine it should have the option to use a 2d camara. 2d Engines need a smart light system.

Going back to Ethanon Engine:
    http://ethanonengine.com
    2d and intergrated 2d dynamic lights. Engine is still in development but it has all the basics we need. Think it is time to take a look at it again. Sample:

This might be interesting as well, something that could be intergraded into allegro?:
    http://forums.gamedesigncenter.org/viewtopic.php?t=200

& Something else:
    http://www.gamedev.net/page/resource...hting-alg-r749
    Last edited by Jalif; March 19 2013 at 11:00:13 PM.

nice find blu!

Just a clarification... if it's going to be a 2d game there's no such thing as "an engine that supports dynamic lighting." As that link shows, it's simple enough you just code it yourself. 3d is a whole different can of worms so built-in lighting is a thing.

Has any thought been given to XNA? I've used it before in game dev courses and found it pretty easy to get into as there are TONS of resources available for it (tutorials, tools, ect). I made a sidescroller megaman clone in about a month of student free time. Very convenient to get into, you can create a new project and it will actually run (blue screen though) right off the bat.

Games that have used it include Bastion, magica, spacechem, terraria, many others. It's C#, and free unless you want to develop for xbox.
    Quote Originally Posted by Devec
    Cool09 is the cancer that is corrupting our society and poisoning our children.

WoT: Redglare[VPG]

Quote Originally Posted by Cool09 View Post
    Just a clarification... if it's going to be a 2d game there's no such thing as "an engine that supports dynamic lighting." As that link shows, it's simple enough you just code it yourself. 3d is a whole different can of worms so built-in lighting is a thing.

Has any thought been given to XNA? I've used it before in game dev courses and found it pretty easy to get into as there are TONS of resources available for it (tutorials, tools, ect). I made a sidescroller megaman clone in about a month of student free time. Very convenient to get into, you can create a new project and it will actually run (blue screen though) right off the bat.

Games that have used it include Bastion, magica, spacechem, terraria, many others. It's C#, and free unless you want to develop for xbox.
    Will google it... EDIT: Can't really figure out, seems they have a lot of engines, could you give a link?

Don't want to help out ?

Can us coders set a meeting at some point, perhaps on Skype or Vent, would be nice to gauge how much time people actually have, determine version control ethics, and abilities (magical and otherwise relevant) etc.

Cheers.

XNA - not looked into it yet. But so far we were assuming that we would work inside a 3d engine and simply work from birds eye with a 2d representation, which would have made dynamic lights possible.

That idea crashed and burned when we saw that we would have had to fork cash over for these features... and Allegro is a decent choice so far because Helgur has experience with it.

/agree with arian, the relevant people need to sit down and nail out the details before anything can be done.

After reading the design document I'm interested in helping out. EST time zone here...
    Quote Originally Posted by Devec
    Cool09 is the cancer that is corrupting our society and poisoning our children.

WoT: Redglare[VPG]

I'm not sure how you guys came to the conclusion that you can't do dynamic lighting with unity free, but that is not the case. What you pay for is unity's proprietary system of light probes and automatically rendered dynamic shadows, which saves time. Nothing is stopping the implementation of a shadow system in unity free, because you have pretty low level access to the rendering pipeline. I'm not sure exactly what you want to do with shadows, but in a 2d game, there are probably easier ways to implement a shadow system anyway. It would probably be an equivalent amount of effort no matter which engine was chosen.

That said, I will help where I can no matter what the engine. I just think it should be a longer and deeper conversation than "engine X is in language Y so lets use that". Workflow and support for non coding team members needs to be carefully weighed as well.

EDIT: I'm assuming this is kind of what we want from shadows?

http://unitycoder.com/blog/2012/01/0...adows-unity3d/

Implemented in Unity free.
    Last edited by erichkknaar; March 20 2013 at 04:25:34 PM.
    meh

Movember '11 Best Facial Hair, Best 'Tache Movember 2011Movember 2012Donor helgur's Avatar

XNA is not applicable as it is windows/ms platform only.

Movember '11 Best Facial Hair, Best 'Tache Movember 2011Movember 2012Donor helgur's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by arian snow View Post
    Can us coders set a meeting at some point, perhaps on Skype or Vent, would be nice to gauge how much time people actually have, determine version control ethics, and abilities (magical and otherwise relevant) etc.

Cheers.
    I'm all up for this, I am available for a meeting tomorrow 1600-2400 GMT!

Quote Originally Posted by helgur View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by arian snow View Post

Cheers.
    I'm all up for this, I am available for a meeting tomorrow 1600-2400 GMT!
    Okay, great I'll be online there, Blu is making us use skype btw, I will share my details on IRC in the morning.

What version of Allegro should I get?

Latest (5.0.8)

If you are on windows you just need to download the binaries, if you are on a mac or linux, you need to build the binaries yourself.

Edit: If anyone need help getting allegro up and running on your platform doing this don't be shy to ask for help. Join IRC or post your questions here and I will try to answer to the best of my ability
    Last edited by helgur; March 20 2013 at 10:56:22 PM.

What do you think of the light system Helgur, could you build it?

I haven't done any opengl programming in Allegro before and as such that is a learning experience for me. But I am confident I can make it work, yeah. Just don't expect me to pull anything out of the hat in an instant :P