hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 82

Thread: General Chat + INFO

  1. #21
    Ingame: Mari Eltera Jalif's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    Snuffed Out
    Posts
    1,418
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Marram View Post
    In before IP infringement lawyers.

    Looks good so far though.
    Because?

    Also, only going to "worry" about that if we start making money with it, and we are far far from that. Not even thinking about it.

  2. #22
    Donor lubica's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    On the shitty side of the Alps
    Posts
    4,606
    I'd be willing to give a hand with storywriting and such. Atmosphere is important.


    Quote Originally Posted by Narmio
    Welcome to Dwarf Fortress, where there is a fine line between insanity and gameplay. The line menaces with spikes of obsessive compulsion.

  3. #23
    Donor erichkknaar's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Posts
    9,152
    Haven't had much time, because of work, but I have started reading the Unity networking docs. Implementing multiplayer will involve syncing the data model through network views, which are basically observers that are attached to game objects. It should (lol) be a relatively simple exercise to convert a prototype to a multiplayer prototype. Unity (the company) has a free to use master server that will help with things like NAT traversal, lobby, etc, and the source code for it is freely available.

    Longer term, some design decisions need to be made in terms of how multiplayer is to work, and what, if anything, needs to be hosted.
    meh

  4. #24
    Ingame: Mari Eltera Jalif's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    Snuffed Out
    Posts
    1,418
    Quote Originally Posted by erichkknaar View Post
    Haven't had much time, because of work, but I have started reading the Unity networking docs. Implementing multiplayer will involve syncing the data model through network views, which are basically observers that are attached to game objects. It should (lol) be a relatively simple exercise to convert a prototype to a multiplayer prototype. Unity (the company) has a free to use master server that will help with things like NAT traversal, lobby, etc, and the source code for it is freely available.

    Longer term, some design decisions need to be made in terms of how multiplayer is to work, and what, if anything, needs to be hosted.
    Go to the code thread. We aren't going to use unity for now because it doesn't support the light mechanics we need for our 2d game. Unless you pay for pro license.

  5. #25
    Donor erichkknaar's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Posts
    9,152
    Quote Originally Posted by Jalif View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by erichkknaar View Post
    Haven't had much time, because of work, but I have started reading the Unity networking docs. Implementing multiplayer will involve syncing the data model through network views, which are basically observers that are attached to game objects. It should (lol) be a relatively simple exercise to convert a prototype to a multiplayer prototype. Unity (the company) has a free to use master server that will help with things like NAT traversal, lobby, etc, and the source code for it is freely available.

    Longer term, some design decisions need to be made in terms of how multiplayer is to work, and what, if anything, needs to be hosted.
    Go to the code thread. We aren't going to use unity for now because it doesn't support the light mechanics we need for our 2d game. Unless you pay for pro license.
    See response in said thread.
    meh

  6. #26
    Ingame: Mari Eltera Jalif's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    Snuffed Out
    Posts
    1,418
    Progression is being made people 8) these skype call clear out a lot of stuff

  7. #27
    Ingame: Mari Eltera Jalif's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    Snuffed Out
    Posts
    1,418
    So I'm going to check out that art style while Helgur is going to make a prototype to check out what is plausible and what is not. The rest keeps doing what they do and test their own skills. Lets hope that after the weekend we have a clear vision on how the game is going to look exactly

  8. #28
    Synapse's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Posts
    3,111
    If I like where this is going I may join for bugfixing, coding and design. Thats what I do in RL I might as well do it here.

  9. #29
    Donor Blutreiter's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Posts
    1,519
    Quote Originally Posted by Synapse View Post
    If I like where this is going I may join for bugfixing, coding and design. Thats what I do in RL I might as well do it here.
    Hop on IRC mate. #Studioheap

    Quote Originally Posted by James Lyrus
    they send you a pedometer, and set you daily activity targets
    Quote Originally Posted by Malcanis View Post
    There's no fucking way I'm googling '12" Hero'

  10. #30
    NoirAvlaa's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 12, 2011
    Location
    Liverpool, laaaa
    Posts
    4,350
    In a week I'll have finished all coursework and so will have a lot more free time, at which point I'll probably start hammering out documentation(Because there is a serious lack of it so far). Anyone else doing this gimme a shout, we'll get together with Jalif at some point and work out a more concrete plan.

  11. #31
    Ingame: Mari Eltera Jalif's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    Snuffed Out
    Posts
    1,418
    Quote Originally Posted by NoirAvlaa View Post
    In a week I'll have finished all coursework and so will have a lot more free time, at which point I'll probably start hammering out documentation(Because there is a serious lack of it so far). Anyone else doing this gimme a shout, we'll get together with Jalif at some point and work out a more concrete plan.
    I didn't have the time yet to write down the documentation, I did the stuff you linked me earlier and wanted to start to make a definite document about the mechanics that would be within the game and the design.

  12. #32
    Donor LoudSpeakly's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 13, 2011
    Location
    AM Radio
    Posts
    622
    I would offer some help as a level designer, but it reads from the design document that you'll be randomly generating them.

    Good luck y'all.

  13. #33
    Ingame: Mari Eltera Jalif's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    Snuffed Out
    Posts
    1,418
    Quote Originally Posted by LoudSpeakly View Post
    I would offer some help as a level designer, but it reads from the design document that you'll be randomly generating them.

    Good luck y'all.
    Yes and no.

    We will be making the tiles (big ones with multiple rooms) ourselves and then let those tiles generate beside eachother. So if you know how to pull of level design then please join, you are welcome.

  14. #34
    Donor Rami's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    London/Snuffbox
    Posts
    1,320
    After a random comment from Darkflare on IRC I bumped into this. I'm happy to stick my hand up for coding. I've got OpenGL experience and I've written a game engine before (although it was a MUD one) which I made around ~10k USD off over the years (spent it all by now sigh).

  15. #35
    Movember '11 Best Facial Hair, Best 'Tache Movember 2011Movember 2012Donor helgur's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 24, 2011
    Location
    Putting owls in your Moss
    Posts
    8,492
    Quote Originally Posted by LoudSpeakly View Post
    I would offer some help as a level designer, but it reads from the design document that you'll be randomly generating them.

    Good luck y'all.
    It will support random generated levels and manually created ones. For now though you have to edit a textfile where each tile is represented by an integer. Longer down the road I'll create a GUI level editor

  16. #36
    NoirAvlaa's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 12, 2011
    Location
    Liverpool, laaaa
    Posts
    4,350
    Quote Originally Posted by helgur View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by LoudSpeakly View Post
    I would offer some help as a level designer, but it reads from the design document that you'll be randomly generating them.

    Good luck y'all.
    It will support random generated levels and manually created ones. For now though you have to edit a textfile where each tile is represented by an integer. Longer down the road I'll create a GUI level editor
    Proper level design > Random.

  17. #37
    Donor Blutreiter's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Posts
    1,519
    Quote Originally Posted by NoirAvlaa View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by helgur View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by LoudSpeakly View Post
    I would offer some help as a level designer, but it reads from the design document that you'll be randomly generating them.

    Good luck y'all.
    It will support random generated levels and manually created ones. For now though you have to edit a textfile where each tile is represented by an integer. Longer down the road I'll create a GUI level editor
    Proper level design > Random.
    Take a note how Diablo does it (not the craptastic 3rd one) by providing several static maps for notable areas and important landmarks and generate the in-between randomly.

    Landmarks in our case can be important ship structures like a reactor core, the docking bay where your shuttle is... and your shuttle itself of course. Can't really go wrong with random maps for replayability.

    Quote Originally Posted by James Lyrus
    they send you a pedometer, and set you daily activity targets
    Quote Originally Posted by Malcanis View Post
    There's no fucking way I'm googling '12" Hero'

  18. #38
    Saul's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Posts
    2,117
    Quote Originally Posted by NoirAvlaa View Post
    Seriously need to start hammering out documentation. It's boring but try not to leave anything to the imagination of the coder. Absolutely everything should be designed in words first, makes everyone's job easier.

    E - also talk to Saul about storyline etc, he's a professional writer who said he'd help
    Stahpatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Jalif View Post
    SAUULLLL!!!
    o/

    Happy to help out with storyboarding, dialogue, plot etc, stuff like that, and testing should it reach that stage. I don't use IRC and I had kinda forgotten about this since posting in the other thread, but I'll keep an eye on progress in this forum and if anyone needs me feel free to PM etc.

    I'll start thinking about expanding the rough concept from page one in the coming weeks. All suggestions welcome - in fact it might be better to have a separate thread so everyone can chuck ideas in?

  19. #39
    Joe Appleby's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    in front of the class
    Posts
    12,859
    Quote Originally Posted by lubica View Post
    I'd be willing to give a hand with storywriting and such. Atmosphere is important.
    As someone with a degree in English and no coding knowledge whatsoever, I guess I could offer proofreading and such things. A wee bit too busy with teaching, but anything that helps me take my mind off that is awesome.
    Last edited by Joe Appleby; March 26 2013 at 07:13:13 PM.
    nevar forget

  20. #40
    big diiiiiiiiick Movember 2012Donor Dark Flare's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Posts
    7,637
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Appleby View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by lubica View Post
    I'd be willing to give a hand with storywriting and such. Atmosphere is important.
    As someone with a degree in English and no coding knowledge whatsoever, I guess I could offer proofreading and such things. A wee bit too busy with teaching, but anything that helps me take my mind of that is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Amantus
    whats tyhe appear of a shnitifuck cu nt eve onlio9ne corpotraTION DICKOLHEAD FUCKIN AS

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •