hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: General Chat + INFO

General Chat + INFO

Codename: Scrapheap Starships
    Depending on backstory and how the game will turn out, the name might change.

Backstory WIP
    The riches that could be found in an unexplored and untapped universe were immense. This lust drove the early space faring humans to expand their grasp upon the universe with unprecedented speed. A network of hyperspatial gates formed the lifelines of this empire, branching out from their home system Earth to smaller clusters of several systems. One of these clusters was Endeavour [working title], a rich and industrious collection of corporate colonies which soon proved to be one of the prime backbones to the ever expanding earthen empire. On a dark day the gate that handled all traffic in and out of the cluster performed an automatic emergency shutdown, separating Endeavour from the rest of the empire. The local factions scrambled to reactive the gate but it never came back online. The cluster largely dependent on outside planets for their food supply soon suffered mass starvations. But a small fraction of the total population survived and resettled on a few key planets. Leaving in its wake a cluster filled with abandoned colonies, spaceships and stations.

Years later as the surviving populace recovered and rebuild, the cluster slowly sprang back to life as interstellar trade picked up once more. The remnants of the old empire soon proved to be alluring to many. As shipping lanes reopened and remote locations became more accessible small organisations of scavengers went out to strip the old wreckages. It soon proved to be a dangerous occupation as the sites turned out to be not as dead on the inside as they had looked to be.

You are one of the newest recruits within [insert salvaging company here], a small corporation who takes on the most difficult sites and is growing out to be one of the top players in its field.

Info
    IRC: #Studioheap @ irc.griefplay.net

Current Teammembers
    - Jalif (Art & Design)
    - Blutreiter (Sound & Music)
    - Helgur (Coder) IF he will be back
    - Devec (Art & Design IF we do 3d)
    - DarkFlare (Coder)
    - NoirAvlaa (Documents)
    - VeryLoudly (Level Design)
    - Snowdrake (AI)
    note: Everybody is welcome in joining. I'm just noting down the names that have done something this far.

Our current game design document
    https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...JM-PJspo0/edit

Github
    https://github.com/failheap/Scrapheap-Starships
    Last edited by Jalif; March 25 2013 at 11:59:46 AM.

We got finally our own sub forum! Woot!

Blutreiter will make a thread regarding sound design and such. I will be creating threads all over the place
    Last edited by Jalif; March 19 2013 at 04:14:21 PM.

XenosisReaper
    Will be following attentively, however I can't contribute much beyond limited testing

@ Hulgur, would it be ok to post that prototype version of allegro?

Also check what Unity is able to do with just web-browsed games. There are 2 demo's regarding light effects that we are able to use for our flashlights and such.
    http://unity3d.com/gallery/demos/live-demos

Movember '11 Best Facial Hair, Best 'Tache Movember 2011Movember 2012Donor helgur's Avatar
    Nice got our own subforum up and going \o/ If we need to make the irc channel permanent I'll drop an eggdrop in there for you jalif, just give me the word.

I'll do some more experimenting with Unity. I really, really hope we can code this at least in C# and not javascript, as javascript gives me an eyesore/makes my eyes bleed (seriously it is easier to work with someones Perl code)

Also, I'll post the build later today, need to sort out a few things before I can get back on this.

Quote Originally Posted by helgur View Post
    Nice got our own subforum up and going \o/ If we need to make the irc channel permanent I'll drop an eggdrop in there for you jalif, just give me the word.

I'll do some more experimenting with Unity. I really, really hope we can code this at least in C# and not javascript, as javascript gives me an eyesore/makes my eyes bleed (seriously it is easier to work with someones Perl code)

Also, I'll post the build later today, need to sort out a few things before I can get back on this.
    Channel is already permanent, I registered it yesterday.

Unity can handle large amount from codes, as far as I read and remember it is java, c and python.

Sweet, looking forward to it.

This is cool

Joining the testing-crowd. Canīt really help any other way right now but it sounds awesome.

Seriously need to start hammering out documentation. It's boring but try not to leave anything to the imagination of the coder. Absolutely everything should be designed in words first, makes everyone's job easier.

E - also talk to Saul about storyline etc, he's a professional writer who said he'd help
    Stahpatalk

SAUULLLL!!!

Help me out creating a folder structure. Give me feedback on how you want to see it. It is important we have all the same folder structure. Note that Unity has also partially its own way of working. However it can be all placed in the "Assets" folder. You will see it ones you have downloaded it.

[Within the Assets Folder]
    Art
    • Sprite (All the individual sprites - all within maps)
    • Sprite Atlas (Sprites in one sheet ready to use)
    • Stock Files
    • Work Files

Code
    • Need Input here

Documents
    • No Submaps (atm)

Sounds
    • Need Input here

Quote Originally Posted by Jalif View Post
    Help me out creating a folder structure. Give me feedback on how you want to see it. It is important we have all the same folder structure. Note that Unity has also partially its own way of working. However it can be all placed in the "Assets" folder. You will see it ones you have downloaded it.

Art
    • Stock Files
    • Work Files

Code
    • Need Input here

Documents
    • No Submaps (atm)

Sounds
    • Need Input here
    ./sound/
    ./sound/ambient/
    ./sound/music/
    ./sound/weapon/
    ./sound/player/

(for starters)

Quote Originally Posted by James Lyrus
    they send you a pedometer, and set you daily activity targets
    Quote Originally Posted by Malcanis View Post
    There's no fucking way I'm googling '12" Hero'

Art
    • Stock Files
    • Work Files

Code
    • Need Input here

Documents
    • No Submaps (atm)

Sounds
    • ambient
    • equipment
    • music
    • player
    I changed weapons to equipment, sounds more logic.

this better include quackbot somewhere
    need me?, contact me on IRC or via PM

Quote Originally Posted by EntroX View Post
    this better include quackbot somewhere
    we have a good idea for quackbot

good
    need me?, contact me on IRC or via PM

http://unity3d.com/gallery/demos/live-demos#angrybots

Unity has a sample game which already contains the basics for our own game. Difference atm is that it is in 3d. So we will need to tweak that. Will safe us loads of work. Those who have understanding of that coding should check it out. As far as I know it comes along with the unity program.

Yeah like I said before, only thing I've got experience with is QA, so I'll stick around for that when you get around to it.

Also I think this has been said before but don't spend time making pretty assets until there's a prototype system that you're all happy with. Don't waste/invest more time than you have to initially. And don't be afraid to throw something out if it's just not plain fun. Yes it can be a pain in the ass to see your work get shitcanned, but overall it'll make for a better game in the end.

But then again I guess you all know that.
    LOL SIGNATURES.

Put me on QA, I'll throw some proper test plans together for people to work off once they're needed. Keep me updated (3 years games testing for Sony, lel, First Party, Format and TRC testing experience in it, ran temp teams for the leads a lot, learned every fucking piece of retarded dialog in White Knight Chronicles )

In before IP infringement lawyers.

Looks good so far though.

IS-4, T110E5, T-54, E-50, IS-8, M103, T34, Type 59, M26 Pershing, AMX 13 90, KV-3, SU-122-44, AMX AC Mle. 1946, SU-101, T20, T71, T25/2, KV-1S, T21, Jgdpzr IV, Sherman E8, GW Panther, AMX 12t, M18, Stug III, T-50-2, T-34, PzIV, ELC AMX, Crusader, Covenanter, SU-26, T1, RenaultFT.