hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I am terribru and just started this game, what do I need to know...

I am terribru and just started this game, what do I need to know...

...so that I won't bring shame and dishonoure unto my family and can keep my children and slavewives fed?

Is everyone Minmatar/Jericho?

Quote Originally Posted by Narmio
    Welcome to Dwarf Fortress, where there is a fine line between insanity and gameplay. The line menaces with spikes of obsessive compulsion.

Super Baderator DonorGlobal Moderator cullnean's Avatar
    The tower of power, too sweet to be sour, ohhhh yeahh!
    Quote Originally Posted by lubica View Post
    ...so that I won't bring shame and dishonoure unto my family and can keep my children and slavewives fed?

Is everyone Minmatar/Jericho?
    I use a mix of races, but I'm slightly further along the tech tree.

General opinion is any thing but fed frigs
    Quote Originally Posted by Elriche Oshego View Post
    Cullneshi the god of shitposting.

Anything but Federation all together, it seems all their ships do everything worse than either Empire or Jericho.

Just grind them all out, doesn't take long to grind all sub-factions to Rank 6.
    Paisti CEO (Star Conflict)

What's the difference between arcade and regular, just that your ship becomes unavailable for the battle after it gets kersploded, or anything else?
    Should I bother with PvE at lower ranks and/or at which rank should I start caring?
    Why is noone on FHC ts? (rabblerabble)

Quote Originally Posted by Narmio
    Welcome to Dwarf Fortress, where there is a fine line between insanity and gameplay. The line menaces with spikes of obsessive compulsion.

Super Baderator DonorGlobal Moderator cullnean's Avatar
    The tower of power, too sweet to be sour, ohhhh yeahh!
    What's the difference between arcade and regular, just that your ship becomes unavailable for the battle after it gets kersploded, or anything else?
    Should I bother with PvE at lower ranks and/or at which rank should I start caring?
    Regular = one life per ship
    arcade = unlimited lives unroll win condition

Regular is a more measured game, arcade has more modes but zerg
    Quote Originally Posted by Elriche Oshego View Post
    Cullneshi the god of shitposting.

Arcade = mindless zerg
    Regular = more of a skill game

General speaking:
    Empire: best fighters, good frigs for sniping
    Feds: good cepis, have heared frigs get good t3+
    Jericho: good tanks, nothing to bad or realy op. if you like missiles
    When I see a bird that walks like a duck, swims like a duck and quacks like a duck id call it a duck.
    And if the bird denies to be a duck it is a russian duck.

Quote Originally Posted by Miep View Post
    General speaking:
    Empire: best fighters, good frigs for sniping
    Feds: good cepis, have heared frigs get good t3+
    Jericho: good tanks, nothing to bad or realy op. if you like missiles
    After flying both Jericho and Empire fighters, I would have to say the Empire Fighters with their hull tanks seem a LOT more durable than Jericho ones.
    Not sure why but in Machete Type-S I just seem to get raped so hard where as in Phobos Aura or Deimos 2 I tank like a fucken beast against anything.

Think of fitting the Machete so that it flies like a fat Interceptor as it has insane base speed already, should be able to get it to 400m/s or so pretty easily.

Xenosis's sister
    Quote Originally Posted by Stige View Post
    Arcade = mindless zerg
    Regular = more of a skill game
    Additionally, arcade gets three game modes (capture points, captain thing, detonation) while regular only gets one (capture points). Arcade also sucks.

PvE for T1 can work if you get enough people to spam it out for you. You get a guaranteed green drop (where Mk1 < Mk2 < Green < Blue/Yellow < Purple), so speed running it in <7m a few times when you first start can get you some nice loots and cash.

I'm always on TS unless I fell asleep or at school, so come poke me if you're looking for a team mate (even if I'm muted or AFK, I'm probably there). EDIT: I also have director, so poke me if you need invite to corp.

EDIT 2: #starconflict @ irc.griefplay.net if you're into that, web client here if you're lazy or don't know about IRC yet.
    Last edited by Minion; March 16 2013 at 07:04:50 PM.

Regular has longer queue times, bots and slightly (5-10%-ish) higher rewards. You also want to have 3 decently fit ships for regular.
    Arcade is deathmatch more often than not, but aso features more actual maps aka. more variety.

I've just done t1 and t2 and TL;DR is p much

Empire = Amarr - beast passive hulltanks, slow.
    Federation = Minmatar/Gallente - roughly equal hull/shield, fast, weird-ish specials (some good, some meh)
    Jericho = Caldari - shieldtank, frig missile special.

All of them very playable sans Fed frigs which are kinda situational.
    Last edited by n0th; March 16 2013 at 07:12:27 PM.

Xenosis's sister
    The Lynx-M is a god so long as you don't cloak INTO a fight. Fox-M, its T2 counterpart, suffers from a capacitor issue (at least as I use it) and isn't as good/forgiving about always holding shift.

Either way, main thing is to start thinking about your cooldowns, including how they line up with each other and how long they are. Just blapped someone in the blob, cloaked, and ran away? Probably want to chill in a crater somewhere for that cloak to come back before you fight again.

I think part of the reason why Empire ships seem so much tankier than Jericho ships is due to the imbalance between hull and shield resists. They both end up with similar raw hp amounts but Empire gets a significant advantage on the resist front.

Quote Originally Posted by Zilulil View Post
    I think part of the reason why Empire ships seem so much tankier than Jericho ships is due to the imbalance between hull and shield resists. They both end up with similar raw hp amounts but Empire gets a significant advantage on the resist front.
    Yip, but the active hull tank ist totaly meh(@t2), 130sec for 1400points on a frig. and thats already the pruple one.
    When I see a bird that walks like a duck, swims like a duck and quacks like a duck id call it a duck.

Yip, but the active hull tank ist totaly meh(@t2), 130sec for 1400points on a frig. and thats already the pruple one.
    All the active tanks are shit.

All the active tanks are shit.
    nope, wait for t3.

Picked Jericho and I'm fagging with torps and flying the axe-x with plasma and target painter full on raep. What do I do with the premium currency and why am I getting tk'd as captain?

just started playign this, and i'm quite pleasantly surprised

a BUNCH of questions though.

I rolled Jericho, and am quite fond of their inty: i like small, fast and high dps, and than gtfo when shit hits the fan.
    How are other types flown? active tanking? passive? damge and speed?
    Also, should i go some other race? Those gallente type seam awesome, high damage, fastest? Or maybe amar with and their intys having that MJD mod for GTFOing...

Also, when ship descriptions says 'Bonus on ECM modules', what does it mean? ALL ECM mods? webs, jammers, NOSes? Also what's with the 'Tackle' mods? Don't see them in on market...

AAAALSO. Is the tier5 Jericho inty (Stiletto) any good, or should i buy somethign before, or should i wait?

totally seeing myself throwing 10$ at them...
    Also, should i wait for higher levels? how 'grindy' is the game?

thanks
    Last edited by shoki; March 31 2013 at 11:11:06 PM.
    ingame: AntonioBanderas
    Detecting epic potential, expecting epic fail.
    Ah yes, the fork: The poor man's trident
    Quote Originally Posted by Duckslayer
    I fucking hate Steven Hawking. Smug little faggot with his stupid chariot

Quote Originally Posted by shoki View Post
    I rolled Jericho, and am quite fond of their inty: i like small, fast and high dps, and than gtfo when shit hits the fan.
    Also, should i go some other race? Those gallente type seam awesome, high damage, fastest? Or maybe amar with and their intys having that MJD mod for GTFOing...
    Eh, interceptors should all fit for speed regardless of race. Their role is secondary. Speed is what keeps them alive for the most part.

The empire ones are great because the microwarp can be used offensively too (literally, as in, kamikazing big fat enemy captain frigates by warping into them).
    The federation ones are great because they have high base speed. The T3 Rank 9 ones hit the speed cap pretty easily.

The role bonus just applies to the active mods really. When picking active mods take a close look at their description. It'll say what role the mod is.
    Not all roles actually have mods at the lower Tiers, though. Higher tiers introduce new items.

just started playign this, and i'm quite pleasantly surprised

a BUNCH of questions though.

Then you should have gone Empire, They LITERALLY have a GTFO button
    You're overthinking it. You dont local rep at low levels. If you want to provide reps to team fly a frigate with appropriate bonuses and RR modules
    Again, it isn't EVE. Weapons for the most part are to taste. I like plasmas because i can switch between EM/KN
    Also, when ship descriptions says 'Bonus on ECM modules', what does it mean? ALL ECM mods? webs, jammers, NOSes? Also what's with the 'Tackle' mods? Don't see them in on market...
    Hover over icons in the market for description.
    AAAALSO. Is the tier5 Jericho inty (Stiletto) any good, or should i buy somethign before, or should i wait?
    I have the ricasso. I like it.
    totally seeing myself throwing 10$ at them...
    Also, should i wait for higher levels? how 'grindy' is the game?

thanks
    you forget about the grind after a while.

Stiletto AE propably the best T2 Inty atm.

Durable as fuck.